Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Gov. Wike Stance On Soku Oil Well Prior To Becoming Governor. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Wike Stance On Soku Oil Well Prior To Becoming Governor. (530 Views)

Rivers Wins Soku Oil Wells From Bayelsa As Court Orders Map Error Correction / ''No Man Born Of A Woman Can Stop Me From Becoming Governor" - Eze Madumere / Soku Oil Wells: Apologize To Amaechi Now - APC Tells Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Wike Stance On Soku Oil Well Prior To Becoming Governor. by chrisxxx(m): 1:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
There have been backlashes on Gov. Wike over his demand for some oil wells allegedly ceded albeit wrongly to Bayelsa State to be returned to Rivers State. In some quarters Gov. Wike has been asked to apologised to his predecessor Rt. Hon. Amaechi for standing against him when he was in hot pursuit for the wells restoration. However as a keen follower of events in Rivers State, through my search of history, there was never a time Wike was in support of the said ceding. I think events should be relayed or told the way they occurred.
I could remember that Wike stance was that the issue should not be politicised to cause disharmony between the two-sister states. It was obvious then that Amaechi believed that the action of ceding the wells happened because he was at variance with Jonathan being the president then and a Bayelsan.
In one of Jonathan's interviews concerning the ceding of the oil wells as well as its ownership, he explained that the issue preceded his presidency which former Gov. Odili of Rivers State acknowledged. Amaechi also agreed with him but contended that the proceed of the oil well then was been lodged in an escrow account pending the determination of the rightful owner by the court or boundary commission. The truth be told there came a time either shortly before or after Jonathan became the president that the proceed of the wells started being allocated to Bayelsa. This was to the chagrin of former Gov. Amaechi. However, it was explained then by those concerned that if it was determined that the wells truly belong to Rivers State that there will be a reimbursement just as it was in the case of same oil well dispute between River State and Akwa-Ibom and even Imo State where both Akwa-Ibom and Imo State were asked to make reimbursements to Rivers State Government which happened during the tenure of Amaechi as the speaker and later the governor of the state.
For avoidance of doubt below is an excerpt from vanguard newspaper concerning Wike's stance prior to becoming the governor.
Wike vows to end Rivers, Bayelsa conflict over Soku oil wells
Rivers State Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governorship candidate, Mr Nyesom Wike, has said that he has obtained a firm promise from President Goodluck Jonathan that a political solution will be reached on the lingering Soku oil well conflict between Rivers and Bayelsa States. Wike assured the people of Soku that he has the political will and capacity to resolve the Soku oil wells conflict to the benefit of the people of Rivers State.
He spoke, yesterday, when he led Minister of Sports, Dr. Tammy Danagogo, his running mate, Dr. Ipalibo Banigo and top members of the Rivers State PDP Campaign Council to Soku to meet with traditional rulers and also address the Oceania communities at a grand governorship campaign rally.
Wike told the Oceania traditional rulers that he informed President Jonathan on Monday evening during the meeting the President held with PDP governorship candidates that he would be visiting Soku and the President gave him a message for the people of the area. He said: “President Jonathan asked me to say directly to you that he is an Ijaw son, he is your brother and therefore, you should not allow people to carry false propaganda to divide two brothers. He has asked me to tell you that it is not correct to say that he took Soku oil wells and gave them to Bayelsa State. President Jonathan asked me to tell you that the Soku Oil well conflict started earlier between Bayelsa and Rivers State, but that it will be resolved politically.” Speaking further, Wike said: “We have the political will and capacity to resolve this conflict. I will not be a party to ceding any part of Rivers State to another state.” He berated the outgoing All Progressives Congress, APC, administration for abandoning the oil bearing Oceania communities, leaving them with no projects while top Rivers government officials corruptly enriched themselves at the expense of the people.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/wike-vows-to-end-rivers-bayelsa-conflict-over-soku-oil-wells/

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/wike-vows-to-end-rivers-bayelsa-conflict-over-soku-oil-wells/

aminulive have u seen this?
Re: Gov. Wike Stance On Soku Oil Well Prior To Becoming Governor. by bedspread: 1:25pm On Sep 21, 2017
DONT MISS FOR ANYTHING ON EARTH

Re: Gov. Wike Stance On Soku Oil Well Prior To Becoming Governor. by Toskinizzle(m): 1:31pm On Sep 21, 2017
politricks everywhere.

(1) (Reply)

IPOB Not A Terrorist Organisation – US Govt / Akpabio’s “uncommon Criminal Deformation” Of Akwaibom (photos) / IPOB Remains Terrorist Group, EU, US Should Mind Their Business – Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.