Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? (24698 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Public Institutions To The Rescue As Parents Dump Private Schoo / Oduduwa University Admission 2023/2024: Full-time Undergraduate Programmes / Nigerian Army University Biu (naub) Undergraduate Programmes (post Utme) Admissi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Mobsync(m): 7:19am On Sep 24, 2017
Comment removed
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by napoleon77(m): 7:23am On Sep 24, 2017
jaychubi:
It's illegal even if u graduate in both u can only use one at a time in ur CV n never both.

Except may be u run one as full time and d other as part time

It is not illegal to run two programmes simultaneously. What crime would you be committing?

You can put as many degrees on your CV at the same time.

However, I do not see the value to be gained in running two programmes simultaneously.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Nukilia: 7:25am On Sep 24, 2017
@ Poster, everything is possible. grin Give it a try and put in your best, it might be tough and you'll feel like dropping out, don't give up.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Reference(m): 7:27am On Sep 24, 2017
In those days it was illegal....simply because the government subsidises college education and you will be seen aa denying your fellow citizen that right. Thus by extension it is fraud.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by wickyyolo: 7:29am On Sep 24, 2017
Mumu don't even try it.

Stupid thought

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Johnpaul01: 7:30am On Sep 24, 2017
if it was 2 different schools, the answer is yes. But this one you said 2 different schoo!!!!. I don't know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 24, 2017
When people like me can't afford one
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by debola27(f): 7:33am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:

Well, I don't think you're right. Maybe 1% probability of failing any.

I'm on a first class in my current school now. I'll have to write jamb next year and probably get into the new school and start 100L whilst I'll be in 400L in my current school.
I'll be having a 6months compulsory IT in 400L, giving me more ample time for basic attendance in my new school.

Thanks anyway.
I love your plans. May God bless it for you. Don't let anyone discourage you. When one is heading towards an extraordinary path, people think one is crazy. Just make your findings well and strive towards achieving the best in your plans. Some people hustle with academics, some hustle at Alaba. We can't all go the same path. I wish you the best.

6 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Reference(m): 7:37am On Sep 24, 2017
napoleon77:

It is not illegal to run two programmes simultaneously. What crime would you be committing?

You can put as many degrees on your CV at the same time.

However, I do not see the value to be gained in running two programmes simultaneously.

It is illegal at least back then and was clearly indicated amongst your JAMB examination materials. You could not seek an admission via matriculation to an undergraduate program having previously gained admission, i.e. was or is in a program. You ould however change courses or void the resukt of the exam but even that was tedious. Then only way back then was directly through the college's pre degree programmes which were popular so it was possible then to be an undergrad and pre grad at the same time at two different institutions,

But what will make one try it since undergrad programmes are full time. How can you be in two colleges on the same day even if they are located in the same town and if they are, they probably share the same resources so you will be found out easily.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by starstunna1313(m): 7:39am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:
My intended course of study is Physics and I'd like to major in theoretical physics just as much as I'd like to major in Robotics which is a definite branch of engineering which blends the disciplines of mechanical, electrical and computer engineering which is majorly why I'm studying mechanical engineering.

Elon Musk did dual degree simultaneously, though not in Nigeria grin grin , so I'm hoping that such could be replicated in Nigeria.

Its still obtainable but not so sure about now. Back then when I was in school 2008. I had a friend that is medical school with me in nnewi and also runs a HND program in Oko Polytechnic
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by oluwaseunla(m): 7:41am On Sep 24, 2017
Reference:

It is illegal at least back then and was clearly indicated amongst your JAMB examination materials. You could not seek an admission via matriculation to an undergraduate program having previously gained admission, i.e. was or is in a program. You ould however change courses or void the resukt of the exam but even that was tedious. Then only way back then was directly through the college's pre degree programmes which were popular so it was possible then to be an undergrad and pre grad at the same time at two different institutions,

But what will make one try it since undergrad programmes are full time. How can you be in two colleges on the same day even if they are located in the same town and if they are, they probably share the same resources so you will be found out easily.

It was illegal then, it's still illegal, at least as at last year. Asides JAMB, it's even part of the rules of many Federal Universities in the country.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 24, 2017
Waste of time
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by yelinco1(m): 7:44am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:

So no implication whatsoever in terms of breaking NUC's admission rule?
THERE IS. YOU CAN'T STUDY 2 PROGRAMMES AT A TIME IN NIGERIA. GO AND CHECK YOUR ORIGINAL ADM. LETTER FROM JAMB.

1 Like

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Jimmy231: 7:47am On Sep 24, 2017
donk552:
Yes, i run Bsc and HND the period
them they talk degree you they talk HND must you talk

3 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Jimmy231: 7:49am On Sep 24, 2017
Jamb can not matriculate you two times i no come know if things don change ooo

1 Like

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Lincoln275(m): 7:50am On Sep 24, 2017
yes, but it depends on d programms and the schools
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by ovis374(m): 7:53am On Sep 24, 2017
Even though u get a chance to run 2 degree simultaneously, what will u do when u have exams clashing in both schools

2 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Iddossam: 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Yes.....
I have a friend who did that eksu and college of education ikere....

1 Like

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Yes, if he doesn't have sense.
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Kivaro(m): 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Dear Op,

It is your money and your time. If you have the time, the stamina, the motivation, and the funds to do it, then to hell with NUC and what they may tell you or not tell you. It is non of their business. It is your life and your career interest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by FitnessDoctor: 7:58am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:
My intended course of study is Physics and I'd like to major in theoretical physics just as much as I'd like to major in Robotics which is a definite branch of engineering which blends the disciplines of mechanical, electrical and computer engineering which is majorly why I'm studying mechanical engineering.

Elon Musk did dual degree simultaneously, though not in Nigeria grin grin , so I'm hoping that such could be replicated in Nigeria.
Elon Musk did the dual degree in only one university, but you are going to do your in two universities. I believe it is possible but it requires a lot physically and mentally. But I think you should do it

2 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by tonero230(m): 8:02am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:
Can a Nigerian student who has already been admitted to a Nigerian federal university and probably in his second year of study be able to be admitted for another degree program for a different course of study in another university in Nigeria and then run the two programs simultaneously?

On a more specific note, I'm a mechanical engineering student of a federal university and I want to enrol for another degree program which I plan on rounding up at exactly two years after my mechanical engineering degree as I'm currently in my 2nd year of study. So that I'll be in 300L and 100L respectively in two different universities and different programs as well.

Please, I need well elaborate answers from well meaning nairalanders.
Thanks...

Yes
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by musthophobia(m): 8:04am On Sep 24, 2017
it's not possible coz you can't be matriculated by jamb 2wice except if you are going to a polytechnics

1 Like

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by toniatt(f): 8:16am On Sep 24, 2017
yes you can run both, if u have d finance, and u can take d risk , pressure n stress
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by whysquare4real(m): 8:23am On Sep 24, 2017
musthophobia:
it's not possible coz you can't be matriculated by jamb 2wice except if you are going to a polytechnics
how about going for another degree after bagging a degree previously?
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by biggy00000(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2017
Op go ahead, I like ur style . Lets consider this
U run both concurrently ( were able to beat the system)
Graduated with good grades (which I doubt)
Pls aw wouuld u go for NYSC ( I assume u r still young to av the strength of concurrent degree).

Advise
concentrate on a degree at a time ( so u dnt grad with a pass in both)
Go for as many as possible second degree MSC in x, MSC in Y, msc in Z..., MBA in a , MBA in b.....

Ask those who r working and running a degree, u wld b told aw easy it is to combine two/three/four tasking stuffs( work, school, wife, children)

1 Like

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by 9jatatafo(m): 8:41am On Sep 24, 2017
OP you cannot double as student in two different higher institutions at the same time in Nigeria. If you are caught you will drop one course for the other. Also with the stress in Nigeria higher educational system, one cannot cope.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:
Can a Nigerian student who has already been admitted to a Nigerian federal university and probably in his second year of study be able to be admitted for another degree program for a different course of study in another university in Nigeria and then run the two programs simultaneously?

On a more specific note, I'm a mechanical engineering student of a federal university and I want to enrol for another degree program which I plan on rounding up at exactly two years after my mechanical engineering degree as I'm currently in my 2nd year of study. So that I'll be in 300L and 100L respectively in two different universities and different programs as well.

Thanks...

Just dont allow ur employers to know in the future.
Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Gshun: 8:50am On Sep 24, 2017
I would advise u concentrate on your current mech engr and graduate with 1st class, u can now do ur masters in physics. Its better to have one 1st class than two 2.2. By the way physics is a very tough course. A few points

1. What is the proximity of the institutions u have in mind? (I did yabatech and unilag for 2yrs, but schools are very close and its a poly and uni)

2. Do u have that financial power to move from one place to another at any time?

3. What if exam or test clashes, if u miss an exam somewhere thats an automatic CO

4. The way Nigeria is structured now, there is hardly a job a mech engr can apply for that a physics graduate cant.

Be Guided

7 Likes

Re: Can A Student Run Two Different Undergraduate Programmes In Two Different Schoo? by Gerrard59(m): 9:00am On Sep 24, 2017
PrinceCEE:

Thanks...

Yes, it's possible. I know someone who does same - Mechanical Engineering (200L) and Biotechnology (400L), different schools. Dude is good academically. However, I must say it's stressful and financially guzzling (his is even better as both schools are in the same state).

Another reason why he did it is because he's young (20), I'd not advise same if you are not that young. You still can if you intend pursuing your studies outside the country just like the lad I explained.

To avoid issues with tests and possibly exams clashing, I implore you make good friendship with top lecturers in your present institution, good rapport with present colleagues. These will help as you'll be able to write any test you might have missed (which you'll miss). Also do same in the second institution (but the bond of the first MUST be stronger). Dude I mentioned was on a first (biotechnology), but dropped out of it (stress was a factor). Only hope of making a first now lies with the second (mechanical engineering).

So you can if you believe you can. For with determination and perseverance, success is inevitable.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ANSU Shuts Down Indefinitely, After Graduate Was Tortured To Death / ASUU Strike: Protesting Students Storm Benin Airport / 7 Secrets Of Scoring Very High In Jamb Utme Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.