Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs (38994 Views)

Door Attendant At An Eatery Dances At Door While Doing His Job / 5 Reason Why Freelancing Is Better Than A Full-time Job - Nigeriaonlinebusiness / 8 ICT Skills In Nigeria And Their Learning Tools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 9:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
MightyFortress:

You seem well grounded in this field... Is there any hope for someone who has just basic computer knowledge to learn all these? Where do we start from?

Hope! Ocean plenty. The question is do you want to learn?

ICT skills is very easy to learn, but to step into any of its fields is not a day job. Just find a friend, to help or I can assure you that what you can in weeks can accidentally be learnt in years.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by mykh01(m): 9:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

Find your way to IIHT. They have good reviews on Nairaland here.
Thanks. Sorry for replying late, Lagos Traffic. smiley
I don't get this, i don't understand what you mean by IIHT
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by goldenceo1: 10:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

Haba na. How is IIHT connected with my thread?

I work with an ISP, and IIHT is not.

As a Car freak, if I recommend you to buy a BMW, does it mean I am an agent with them?

Where in my original post did you see IIHT, and how many IIHT agents have you seen on this page aside their handle that was in the first page.

my personal observation I say but again your write up will 100% fail copycat test for biafrabushboy article. The thread only sets up the stage for your big allies to come do what they know are to do best. The presence of iiht, biafranbushboy n fela40 comments on the thread says it all to ascertain my curiosity. those name are synonymous with one brand iiht.

PS: my personal observation. IIHT still remains the best....
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Cvesta(m): 10:00pm On Sep 22, 2017
Has anyone an idea on where one can learn in Benin or warri ? Two or three centres from which one can make a choice would be great
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by voicelez: 10:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
iihtlagos:

Graphics design is superb. But our curriculum has it embedded in web design and digital marketing.

What is your location?

abuja
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by somito121(m): 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
Thank God for this topic. I want to learn both graphic design and Web design & development but my question now is where and how do I start.
Note: I have no knowledge about them, meaning I will have to start from scratch.
what type of laptop do u guys advice one to get for the ict programmes. I stay in lagos.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
iihtlagos:

Graphics design is superb. But our curriculum has it embedded in web design and digital marketing.

What is your location?

please im interested. i stay at surulere
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by RichardKajola(m): 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
Nice post op. I am interesred in ICT. Any advise on where I can be trained in Jos. Am an undergraduate though
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Tex42(m): 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

I don't have a Cisco certification, and I am working. If you are good, then your firm can even help you arrange for a certification exam sef, or you follow back door (secret method)!!

IIHT is not the only firm that does CCNA. But I think they are rising in capabilities, hence the positive reviews they are getting.
Thanks a lot! Honestly u have solved half of my problems/worries with this wonderful tip.

Really appreciate ur readiness 2 reply questions here.

If u do mind, I will like to keep in touch as I will be moving to lagos in no time to start the training with IIHT, so was wondering if we could communicate via whatsapp or e-mail, like I said, that is if u don't mind.

God bless!
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by salveoP(m): 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
I am a Pharmacist, wat ICT would u recommend? Besides, is blogging an aspect of ICT?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Tex42(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2017
bizza45:

write d exam , get d cert use am hussle, if u no get cash for d cert to pay don't bother about getting it then, durning interview prove to your interviewer say u know d job.. but u no get cash to pay for d cert.. if e fit borrow u cash God go bless am wella...
Thanks bro! Great tip, Really appreciate.

Can we keep in touch? If u don't mind...
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Quadre: 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2017
iihtlagos:

We have at Surulere. Check us out and you won't feel like leaving us even after your studies. smiley

What about in IKEJA? Address pls...
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 10:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
salveoP:
I am a Pharmacist, wat ICT would u recommend? Besides, is blogging an aspect of ICT?

It depends on what you like seeing done with computer.
If you are into research there are ones you can learn.
Yes, blogging is an aspect. I recommend it for you.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by simiolu1(m): 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
MightyFortress:

You seem well grounded in this field... Is there any hope for someone who has just basic computer knowledge to learn all these? Where do we start from?

Yes, there is hope; every expert in a field was once a beginner. You just have a lot of ground to cover. The most important question is what would be best for you to learn that would keep you coming back?

Believe me, there would be days you would want to stop; there would be days you will be frustrated. But when you are learning something that keeps you coming back; you would actually come back. You won't be able to say no to it. It will consume you; it will take over your thoughts, your emotions, it will practically be your life.

ICT is big; the tech industry is huge. Apart from programmers, the industry needs a lot of people. Even programming is huge; there are so many languages: Php, SQL, Java, Go, Python, Ruby, C, C++, C# (pronounced C sharp), Android, Kotlin, Swift etc.

But the industry also needs designers: user interaction/user experience (UI/UX), project managers, database administrators, cloud infrastructure engineers, sales, marketing, finance, human resource etc.

My point: carry out an extensive research; go to meetups, meet people in the industry; ask them what they do. If it sounds interesting, google it. If it looks like something you want to spend the next 6 months learning, commit to it. If not, continue your research.

Because eventually, when you find that something that ticks all the boxes, the only regret you are going to have is not starting earlier.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by RAY12345(m): 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2017
simiolu1:

Before going anywhere to learn about databases, try a Google search for Microsoft Virtual Academy or MTA database fundamentals. You would definitely get one or two introductory courses to databases by Microsoft for free.

Oracle is a proprietary software. So you need to learn about DBMS before learning the specific engines like MySQL, PostgresSQL, MongoDB, Oracle, SQL or even NoSQL

If you can, download this book: Database Design, Implementation and Management. It is like the Bible of database professionals
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2017
somito121:
Thank God for this topic. I want to learn both graphic design and Web design & development but my question now is where and how do I start.
Note: I have no knowledge about them, meaning I will have to start from scratch.
what type of laptop do u guys advice one to get for the ict programmes. I stay in lagos.

For web start with Html, Graphics start with corel-draw

For laptop any good one can serve except if Graphics is killing you, then you go for ones made exclusively for good Graphics
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by RAY12345(m): 10:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
simiolu1:

The problem with a lot of training programs in this country is that students are not given proper orientation. That is why I like foreign training programs. Before you start a course, you should be told the things you must know, the things you should know and the things that are nice to know.

For instance, if you have no knowledge of what a database is and what database management systems are, you have no business learning Oracle. You should be well grounded in the principles of databases, database design and implementation first before learning about a specific database engine.

Oracle is a database software by Oracle. It is usually used by enterprise companies because it comes with a hefty price tag. The reason it is not so common is that there are Open Source (free) alternatives that would do the job quite well. Some include MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL etc.

If you had the fundamental knowledge of databases, learning a new software to manage a database or a new database engine would be a walk in the park. For instance, I use MySQL engine for programming. To manage the engine, I have about four software installed on my laptop: PhpMyAdmin, HeidiSQL, DBForgeStudio and MySQL Workbench. They all do practically the same thing but have their use cases. One engine; four softwares.

So my brother; go learn about databases; know how to design a database schema from the ground up. Learn about relationships between data entities and how they can be modelled; learn about normalization and optimization. When you know all these; then go relearn Oracle, MySQL, SQL; NoSQL and learn how to write queries!

Lovely. Thanks
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by CurrentSamuel(m): 10:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

Graphics Design is great. Please add Front end development to your learning. It goes hand in Hand.

lalasticlala

Pls How long would it to Learn the ICT for one who has no single Knowledge on Computer...No single Knowledge at all.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by mrjoeessien: 10:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Please how do I learn cpa marketing... I need to know how to go about it. Thanks
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by simiolu1(m): 10:55pm On Sep 22, 2017
attention007:

Nice write up

Will love to discuss ICT with u

My PM is wide open
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 11:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
CurrentSamuel:

Pls How long would it to Learn the ICT for one who has no single Knowledge on Computer...No single Knowledge at all.

Depends on what you want to learn.

For example, you can have the basics of the web in weeks.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by CurrentSamuel(m): 11:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kamxin:

The Graphics design,digital marketing, web design
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by CurrentSamuel(m): 11:13pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kamxin:

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 11:21pm On Sep 22, 2017
CurrentSamuel:

Each one is a field of its own. For example Web design can take you one month with shortcut development apps, but for a thorough knowledge, six months you are still starting because many things like database is involved.

For Graphics, Six months you have the fundamentals, and have expert knowledge in years.

Digital marketing comprises of knowledge of web, graphics, social media, data analysis tools etc.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by CurrentSamuel(m): 11:29pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kamxin:

Each one is a field of its own. For example Web design can take you one month with shortcut development apps, but a thorough knowledge, six months you are still starting.

Jesus!!! Please what about Graphics Design And digital marking??
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 11:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
CurrentSamuel:

Jesus!!! Please what about Graphics Design And digital marking??
look at my updated answers again

Reminder, what people do in years, you can do in weeks and also what you might have done in years, someone can do in weeks. Meet people who Sabi and not pretenders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by attention007(m): 11:31pm On Sep 22, 2017
simiolu1:

My PM is wide open
okay
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by concho(m): 11:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
My question is this,
Is it possible to get a job with ict skills without a degree . If yes, which one?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by CurrentSamuel(m): 11:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kamxin:
look at my updated answers again

Reminder, what people do in years, you can do in weeks and also what you might have done in years, someone can do in weeks. Meet people who Sabi and not pretenders.

Thanks so much . I appreciate
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 11:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
concho:
My question is this,
Is it possible to get a job with ict skills without a degree . If yes, which one?

Any job that can be gotten with a degree, can be gotten without degree, in the world of ICT.

ICT is same with maths, if you solve a mathematical problem, who would ask you for degree, instead any body there with degree or PhD will hide the paper they are holding. ICT problems are too many looking for people to try and come out with partial solution.
Before I forget read stories like bill gates, Facebook guy, Steve Jobs etc then you will realize how degree is useless in the face of ICT

1 Like

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by concho(m): 12:43am On Sep 23, 2017
Kamxin:

Any job that can be gotten with a degree, can be gotten without degree, in the world of ICT.

ICT is same with maths, if you solve a mathematical problem, who would ask you for degree, instead any body there with degree or PhD will hide the paper they are holding. ICT problems are too many looking for people to try and come out with partial solution.
Before I forget read stories like bill gates, Facebook guy, Steve Jobs etc then you will realize how degree is useless in the face of ICT
thanks a lot bro........my bro might need this
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 23, 2017
tessygirl:

Graphics Design is great. Please add Front end development to your learning. It goes hand in Hand.

lalasticlala

Seems almost as though God asked you to post this now. I believe, tessygirl, that you've been around alot. So, in your opinion, what are the most Sought after ICT skills in the Nigerian corporate world?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Hilarious Chat Between A Boss And His Employee(snapshot) / Nigerians In Diaspora Support Mechanic Blessing, Abuja Female Mechanic (Pics) / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.