Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,776 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Black Berry Craze - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Black Berry Craze (14214 Views)

Today's Google Doodle Symbol Kinda Offensive To The Black Race / How Can I Use Black Berry Bold 5 To Take Screen Shots! / Brand New Black Berry Bold 5 (9900) For Sale.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Black Berry Craze by maedan(f): 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2010
This BB craze is really getting out of hand tho'. Saw a young girl, no more than thirteen, in possession of one on her way from school. When you consider that even parents think it's okay for their little kids to own a BB, then you wonder that maybe it goes beyond the uses for which the BB was actually intended. Judging by the popularity of the BBM these days, the BB is becoming more of a social tool than an actual "smartphone". Anyway, I'm gearing up to start up with a BB 8520 myself. Just for a start tongue wink.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by Azanor(m): 10:58am On Apr 27, 2010
U know what I think, some well informed people with reliable facts from all sides of the smartphone market should come together on a thread and present logical arguments about why they think their smartphone platform is better than the rest because all the ignorant points being made by some people on this thread is enough to drive a person crazy. I'm not hating on blackberry, i'm just saying that for everything there is on it that makes its fans feel so superior, there are at least 20 more on symbian and a 100 more on the iphone. And they will be cheaper. So go ahead BB fans, mention a feature and if I don't mention at least five better alternatives on another platform, someone else more knowledgeable will.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by Genuflect(m): 12:43pm On Apr 27, 2010
Azanor:

U know what I think, some well informed people with reliable facts from all sides of the smartphone market should come together on a thread and present logical arguments about why they think their smartphone platform is better than the rest because all the ignorant points being made by some people on this thread is enough to drive a person crazy. I'm not hating on blackberry, i'm just saying that for everything there is on it that makes its fans feel so superior, there are at least 20 more on symbian and a 100 more on the iphone. And they will be cheaper. So go ahead BB fans, mention a feature and if I don't mention at least five better alternatives on another platform, someone else more knowledgeable will.
Over on-point!
Re: The Black Berry Craze by maedan(f): 10:34pm On Apr 27, 2010
By now you should know that it all goes beyond what the BB has to offer as per features, in comparison to other smartphones. The Blackberry has become a status symbol, period, and though they have continued to make innovations and improvements to the product, it is nothing more than a "popular" phone and has become a fad that will not fade any time soon, by my calculations. BB is here to stay.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by nkemjou(f): 1:25am On Apr 28, 2010
Lolol, my family friend came 2 london 4 a visit, few months ago n by all means wanted a blackberry. She finally got 1 4rm c.warehouse. She has absolutely no hang of the thing and still doesn't have an e-mail add tongue

My friend in college used her allowance to get a bb and has been eating biscuits and juice since, undecided
talk about "wanting to belong"
Re: The Black Berry Craze by semid4lyfe(m): 6:27am On Apr 28, 2010
Most people making noise about Blackberry probably never used high-end symbian phones & phones on other platforms pimped to the fullest.
Blackberry ko, Whiteapple ni!
Re: The Black Berry Craze by Azanor(m): 7:13am On Apr 28, 2010
@maedan
I understand what you're saying, BB now is more a status symbol than a feature perfect phone and i really dont have a problem with that, you should try explaining your point to those "blackberry fans" who don't even know the limit of their phone's abilities and come here mouthin off like the hold the future in their hands. They should just accept that they have blackberries because its what everyone else is using not because of its features
Re: The Black Berry Craze by maedan(f): 3:45am On Apr 29, 2010
Azanor:

@maedan
I understand what you're saying, BB now is more a status symbol than a feature perfect phone and i really dont have a problem with that, you should try explaining your point to those "blackberry fans" who don't even know the limit of their phone's abilities and come here mouthin off like the hold the future in their hands. They should just accept that they have blackberries because its what everyone else is using not because of its features

Exactly! Even the Blackberry company have realised where the real market is, and are now targeting youths and young people in their ads, with pages on facebook etc all in a bid to attract the new group of BB fans - kids and tweens and even us adults cheesy. The real people for which the BB was probably created - the business people, the serious folks grin have taken second place to the "I-must-belong" members of the BB "Craze". LOL.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by lasgidi4rv: 5:45am On Jul 14, 2010
Hello everyone. After reading through the entire posts so far on this topic, I am still at a loss. Could someone (actual user) give an objective comparison btw a Nokia N900 and Blackberry Bold 9700?
Currently, I have the BB flip. I use all the functions, love it and have had it for about 2 yrs now. Why am I considering another phone? Well my charge port is broken (careless accident on my part). The thing is I would be traveling home to Nija and would be conducting business for several months.
I have heard various recommendations that the Bold 9700 is the must have phone for the business owner. In this case the BIS plan is a must have. Is the Nokia N900 able to offer all that the Bold offers when considering doing biz in nija?
Thanks in advance.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by cecegorz(m): 11:55am On Jul 14, 2010
Well, long before BB vogue came, people has been using other smart phones; NOKIA E/N series, Sony Ericson P series and the rest without ever using most of the features.

It will continue to be like that because we are still trying to catch up with civilisation, unlike the west where society/lifestyle drives demand for innovation,  here we just 'receive' what is available. (You know the Joneses still needs to be caught up with)

There is really no need to hate on BB users, i believe if there are other options for bundled data plan smart phones like The I-phones, Androids, Palm smarts, Nexus etc, the BB would have had stiffer competititors. Truth is they will continue to enjoy the monoploy until our network carriers decides other wise.

Funny enough, a coleague's daughter (still in sec sch.) came to the office recently with a new BB and the mum needed me to help set it up. I demanded to know why she shd buy a BB for such a minor but she said it was the dad that bought it on her(daughter) request.

So you see? It's the money after all, let them spend it on whatever grin  grin  grin
Re: The Black Berry Craze by HC: 6:47am On Aug 08, 2010
Why pay 5k for BBM? I guess that what people pay for, cos you can get chat and email features on other smart phones.

RIM IS A BIG SCAM.

Note: Am also a BB user and am ditching in a few days.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by Snowwy: 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2010
Using a BB is a matter of choice especially as you are the one spending your own hard-earned cash.
I had the option of getting a BB but see it as a waste. I get 24hr internet access at home courtesy of my office and even if I didn't I could still go for a cheaper alternative.
I use a S40 Samsung qwerty phone with the Etisalat N1k easy net package for a whole month and it serves my purpose very well.
I browse any site on operamini, I have mig33 and Ebuddy downloaded on my phone as well.
Compared to a BB, all I don't have is the BBM (Which I do not see any benefit if I am to pay N5k per month before I can access this service) and online realtime (I see this as an addictive way to always respond to anything that flies your way).
Therefore, I am cool with what I use as it serves my purpose. If a BB serves your prupose, use it.
There is no hating. Its a matter or choice.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by sexylogan(m): 10:05pm On Aug 15, 2010
Zap. BB's!!!! my Nokia 97's screen is even bigger by far than even a bb storm's screen

Not to talk of memory, 32gig+ 16 if i want, plus cool browsing n instant web messaging,

a bigger QWERTY keyboard, not to mention cool applications like EXCEL,POWER POINT, PDF

VIEWER, AND Microsoft Word.

BB users, admit it, 99% of u bot BBs because evryone who had it was bein seen as a "big boy/girl"

and u didnt want to feel left out! Not me, NOKIA FOR LIFE BABY!!!!!

Re: The Black Berry Craze by sexylogan(m): 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2010
cabali:

An admirable display of ignorance by kpolli. cheesy

In this age.

@genuflect need u waste your time? Come on the guy knows no better. Someone who feels not owning a BB is by reason of it's cost can not think otherwise.

Save it for the tech technologically exposed, save your breath grin

thank you abeg!!!! i'm not using a BB because i cant afford it, even the 5k monthly fees, im using a nokia n97 which i

bot @95k and im using the 10k/month etisalat prepaid flex bundle to browse. if im not browsing wit the fone

directly, i connect it to my laptop and browse usin the fone as a modem.

lol, so,pls kpolli, it's not the price. many of those using bbs only receive calls and txts.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by texazzpete(m): 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2010
sexylogan:

Zap. BB's!!!! my Nokia 97's screen is even bigger by far than even a bb storm's screen

Not to talk of memory, 32gig+ 16 if i want, plus cool browsing n instant web messaging,

a bigger QWERTY keyboard, not to mention cool applications like EXCEL,POWER POINT, PDF

VIEWER, AND Microsoft Word.

BB users, admit it, 99% of u bot BBs because evryone who had it was bein seen as a "big boy/girl"

and u didnt want to feel left out! Not me, NOKIA FOR LIFE BABY!!!!!

You're using a phone that even Nokia claimed was 'disappointing', a phone that was rightly slammed by most reviewers as being entirely mediocre. A phone with a slow, clunky UI, using a shamefully slow processor and a crappy resistive touchscreen. And you're still talking!

Nokia's empire is crumbling slowly, and phones like the N97 are part of the reason. The N97 is nokia's current flagship device and it is completely outclassed by tons of Android phones out there, utterly killed by the iPhone and not even up to the HTC HD2.
The only reason you stick to your Nokia phones is the complacency. You're too used to that outdated Symbian Interface that you're afraid to jump ship. You're too attached to your archive of java and .sis apps, all outdated and outstripped by the superior offerings on the Android and iPhone appstore. And WinMo 7 is looming.

Nokia is losing this war. It'll be slow. But it'll happen.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by sexylogan(m): 3:51pm On Aug 17, 2010
texazzpete:

You're using a phone that even Nokia claimed was 'disappointing', a phone that was rightly slammed by most reviewers as being entirely mediocre. A phone with a slow, clunky UI, using a shamefully slow processor and a crappy resistive touchscreen. And you're still talking!

Nokia's empire is crumbling slowly, and phones like the N97 are part of the reason. The N97 is nokia's current flagship device and it is completely outclassed by tons of Android phones out there, utterly killed by the iPhone and not even up to the HTC HD2.
The only reason you stick to your Nokia phones is the complacency. You're too used to that outdated Symbian Interface that you're afraid to jump ship. You're too attached to your archive of java and .sis apps, all outdated and outstripped by the superior offerings on the Android and iPhone appstore. And WinMo 7 is looming.

Nokia is losing this war. It'll be slow. But it'll happen.
i've done my research and i hate to admit it, but u r rite. i'm waiting for the new apple i-phone4 so i can jump ship, but i'l never buy a bb-i just
dont like them
Re: The Black Berry Craze by leuelliot(m): 5:17pm On Aug 17, 2010
sexylogan:

i've done my research and i hate to admit it, but u r rite. i'm waiting for the new apple i-phone4 so i can jump ship, but i'l never buy a bb-i just
dont like them

thats the spirit! welcome to the iFamily. (when you buy your iPhone 4)
Re: The Black Berry Craze by maedan(f): 10:16am On Aug 21, 2010
Well, officially tried out the BB for a few weeks. And because most pple use it, it's actually fun to have cos you keep in touch with everyone thru twitter, facebook, BBM and YIM. When you have unlimited internet, there's no stopping you. I'm not saying its perfect, but it's really handy to have around. If you live a hectic, busy lifestyle, then you should get one undecided.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by texazzpete(m): 3:51pm On Aug 21, 2010
maedan:

If you live a hectic, busy lifestyle, then you should get one undecided.

I disagree. Your statement may only just be valid in Nigeria where only an insignificant percentage buy smartphones with data plans.
Virtually any other smartphone has a decent data plan (2 - 3GB monthly) to go with it. And some form of push email is supported on all the other smartphone systems too.
The main draw for the BB is BBM. next is the email, but BBM is the main draw.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by maedan(f): 10:50pm On Aug 24, 2010
texazzpete:

I disagree. Your statement may only just be valid in Nigeria where only an insignificant percentage buy smartphones with data plans.
Virtually any other smartphone has a decent data plan (2 - 3GB monthly) to go with it. And some form of push email is supported on all the other smartphone systems too.
The main draw for the BB is BBM. next is the email, but BBM is the main draw.

I don't really get your point, but for people who love to use apps like twitter, facebook, BBM to stay in touch with events and people, and need instant email due to business or social needs, then the BB is cool because it supplies most of the relevant apps. I don't know about how its done in Nigeria, but if you have unlimited internet on your phone that doesn't depend on data limits, then you can really enjoy the blackberry. I didn't say other smartphones did not provide these services, I was only giving my review of the BB and why it has become so popular. If the iPhone 4 was cheaper, it'll have overtaken BB by now, but maybe later it will.
Re: The Black Berry Craze by Skidoc(m): 10:58pm On Aug 25, 2010
I decided to try BB too and the only thing it has got going for it is the BBM thingy. The browser is crap compared to iPhone's. The apps are a joke compared to iPhone's. Even the push email is rubbish compared to iphone. I love eye candy and BB's email doesn't do it for me. I want to see it like it is on my laptop! Yeah Email on the iPhone is like that! Well, very good battery life I must say.
But overall, moving from iPhone to BB is like dumbing down. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NCC Bans All Telcos From Promotions And Lotteries / GSM Tax: MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile Subscribers, Others To Pay Extra N261bn / NCC Arrests 5 Suspects For Fraudulent Registration Of SIM Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.