Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea (24241 Views)

The U.S. Navy Has Taken Back Control Of The Israel-affiliated Tanker Hijacked! / Israeli Navy Unit Shooting Hamas Terrorists At Sea (Video) / Portuguese President Marcelo Helps Rescue Two Women At Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Explorers(m): 12:13am On Sep 29, 2017
At least four major accidents have occurred in the western Pacific this year.

The U.S. Navy has gone back to using compasses and pencils when it comes to navigating the high seas.

New orders were issued earlier this month after a number of deadly accidents this year.

A lack of sleep coupled with a 100-hour working week for many sailors means they're fatigued and placing far too much reliance on automated navigation systems which has led to careless and costly errors in which lives have been lost.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4930540/Navy-returns-compasses-pencils-avoid-deadly-collisions.html

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Explorers(m): 12:14am On Sep 29, 2017
There have been four crashes this year.

In this incident, destroyer USS JohnS.

McCain is seen with a hole on its after a collision with an oil tanker outside Changi naval base in Singapore.

Ten US sailors were killed in the accident and five were injured after their destroyer collided with a tanker.

In another incident, the guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship killing seven crew members.

The US Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald collided with ACX Crystal cargo ship off the Japan coast.

The incidents will cost the US taxpayer about $600 million in repairs and put several ships out of service during a time of heightened regional tensions in the western Pacific and South China Sea.

1 Share

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Jacktheripper: 12:20am On Sep 29, 2017
FTC

1 Like

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:32am On Sep 29, 2017
Jacktheripper:
FTC
Go use am withdraw

57 Likes 6 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by iamchybs(m): 12:49am On Sep 29, 2017
Nigeria navy dey used to compass and pencils... grin I'm sure the automated systems in their ships no kuku dey function before... lol

32 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by hola106(m): 1:17am On Sep 29, 2017
beta navigation tools European expansion explain beta
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Nobody: 5:25am On Sep 29, 2017
iamchybs:
Nigeria navy dey used to compass and pencils... grin I'm sure the automated systems in their ships no kuku dey function before... lol
don't chest beat on what you don't know jack about.
Another question to ask is why are only destroyers suffering this collision.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Explorers(m): 5:44am On Sep 29, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
don't chest beat on what you don't know jack about.
Another question to ask is why are only destroyers suffering this collision.

They're saying is possible the systems are under attack/hacking.

The collisions sometimes sound weird, as vast as the ocean is

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 29, 2017
No be them act last ship?. These people self

But wait oo.. I didn't see Nathan james

21 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Xbee007(m): 9:48am On Sep 29, 2017
Explorers:

Those people that blame the recent crashes on hacking finger the Russians. Well they ignored the fact that Russian naval ship was the first to crash off the coast of Turkey last year (although, all the crew were rescued alive). I remembered how the Russians were mocked on BBC and CNN Facebook pages by Westerners. Now the table has turned and they are like "who new navigating naval ships could be so difficult?"
I can't imagine the kind of comments some Nigerians and foreigners would make if these accidents happened in Nigeria.

25 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by InfinixMine: 9:53am On Sep 29, 2017
smithsydny:
No be them act last ship?. These people self

But wait oo.. I didn't see Nathan james

Can't wait for the next season mehn!

2 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by donbrowser(m): 9:57am On Sep 29, 2017
If this was happening in Nigeria now, one white man somewhere will open his stinky mouth and insult the whole continent.

7 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 29, 2017
InfinixMine:

Can't wait for the next season mehn!
what season are u on now.. I stopped season 3.. Need to watch the remaining..
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 29, 2017
Explorers:

that can't be ruled out as well, remember the Russian SU 24 fly over the Burke class destroyer which temporarily disabled electronic systems onboard the warship.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by MrPresident1: 10:47am On Sep 29, 2017
smiley
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by etiosa24(m): 10:48am On Sep 29, 2017
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by omoadigun07(m): 10:48am On Sep 29, 2017
Next
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by SalamRushdie: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2017
So the anti collision technology in these 400 million dollar technologically advanced warships is not reliable yet some car companies want you to trust the one in 30 thousand dollars vehicles ..hmmmm

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by free2ryhme: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2017
atleast they had something to fall back on unlike other countries that dont even know where to start from

1 Like

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by free2ryhme: 10:50am On Sep 29, 2017
Explorers:
At least four major accidents have occurred in the western Pacific this year.

The U.S. Navy has gone back to using compasses and pencils when it comes to navigating the high seas.

New orders were issued earlier this month after a number of deadly accidents this year.

A lack of sleep coupled with a 100-hour working week for many sailors means they're fatigued and placing far too much reliance on automated navigation systems which has led to careless and costly errors in which lives have been lost.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4930540/Navy-returns-compasses-pencils-avoid-deadly-collisions.html

Nonsense. Sleeping at the switch is the fault.

1 Like

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by omoadigun07(m): 10:50am On Sep 29, 2017
iamchybs:
Haba
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Dc4life(m): 10:50am On Sep 29, 2017
Old ways are best sometimes. Technology can't always replace humans.

4 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Racing(m): 10:50am On Sep 29, 2017
They are going back to the method until they are able to really figure out the recent causes of the accidents. They don't want to risk any more mishaps until everything is sorted out. That's what it means to be pro active. Bringing alternative solutions to solve problems.

5 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Patented: 10:50am On Sep 29, 2017
If this was Nigeria the bashing would not be here at all!!

4 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by free2ryhme: 10:51am On Sep 29, 2017
This is because what they saying is that their ships GPS navigation systems(and more maybe) were hacked and that is what caused these crashes.

There is no other explanation for a billion dollar warship failing to see and avoid a collision with a huge cargo ship. They are starting to rely too much on computers and such. They need trained to navigate the old fashion way just in case. Common sense.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Benekruku(m): 10:51am On Sep 29, 2017
Instead of them to sell the ships and use the proceeds to drink Goldberg and eat cat-fish!

Misplaced priorities!

6 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 10:52am On Sep 29, 2017
As I see this thread I remember my best movie. LAST SHIP

NATHAN JAMES

4 Likes

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by pagekollection2(m): 10:52am On Sep 29, 2017
Oluwasaeon:

Go use amwithdraw

Dude y dey pain u nah. Keep tryin

1 Like

Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 29, 2017
pls am I d only one experiencing this?
anytime I click on a thread to read, it opens another thread instead. most times the thread before the one I try to open.
it sucks o...almost smashed my phone now but thank God for rethinking rhelma
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:56am On Sep 29, 2017
pagekollection2:

Dude y dey pain u nah. Keep tryin
Lol pain for wetin
Re: U.S Navy Returns To Compass & Pencil For Navigation To Avoid Collision At Sea by mejai(m): 10:58am On Sep 29, 2017
Dem no get eye to see other ship coming?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Angela Merkel Goes Into Self-Isolation After Contact With Infected Doctor / Michigan School Shooting: Suspect's Parents Arrested In Detroit* / Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Visits China.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.