Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria (14527 Views)

Avatar; The Legend Of Korra.... / Avatar And Ben-10 Boys / Daniel Craig Is An Insult To The James Bond Persona (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by victorazy(m): 12:22am On Mar 08, 2010
If u've not watched AVATAR the best animated movie in the market, your missing something. I was very enthusiastic to watch this movie, but somehow i felt mortified when i heard the general telling the new scientist (Jake) that "He returned from Nigeria with no scratch, but at the first day in this bush, he sustained that vast mark on his face" Now i wanna know if US is telling the whole world that "Our soldiers are fragile or Nigeria is a battle field" Why can't they mention our name in other good things than war and violence.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by mamagee3(f): 12:31am On Mar 08, 2010
I won't be watching that garbage. . .
Althogh I heard the movie is actually nice
but it's still not my type. . .
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by victorazy(m): 1:08am On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

I won't be watching that garbage. . .
Althogh I heard the movie is actually nice
but it's still not my type. . .

For me, thats my favorite including adventures and horrors.
Try and watch this film and u must appreciate the power of simulation and good thinking of human beings "not Nollywood oohhh".

Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by bgees(m): 1:45am On Mar 08, 2010
It could be they predict Nigeria will be a war zone in the future. u know Avatar was set in the future.

But its really nothing to worry about. wink
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by mamagee3(f): 1:53am On Mar 08, 2010
victorazy:

For me,  thats my favorite including adventures and horrors.
Try and watch this film and u must appreciate the power of simulation and good thinking of human beings "not Nollywood oohhh".     
What's the title of the movie? undecided
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by tpiah: 1:57am On Mar 08, 2010
bgees:

It could be they predict Nigeria will be a war zone in the future.

I think you're right
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by maedan(f): 3:51am On Mar 08, 2010
I haven't seen the movie. Yet. So many mixed reviews. But why is it that they can't make a Hollywood movie without mentioning Nigeria in a disparaging way? Anyhow, I take it as a "levels" grin. They just love to hate (on) us. Lol.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by obinna5000(m): 6:06am On Mar 08, 2010
"Avatar" lost to "The Hurt Locker" in the Best Picture category at the Oscars.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:40pm On Mar 08, 2010
[size=13pt]Many people have criticised this film for not being original, after seeing it I would be inclined to agree, but would not hold it against such a breathtakingly brilliant film. Though in many ways you could compare this to Dances With Wolves, they are comparable in plot alone and it certainly does not detract from what, in my opinion, is a masterpiece of modern cinema. Cameron has truly outdone himself with this one, not just because of the phenomenal box office success but because he waited, patiently for the technology to catch up with his idea.

Avatar truly encapsulates Pandora and draws you in hook line and sinker; it makes the world utterly believable and draws parallels to the destruction of our own world.

A true work of genius and completely deserving of 10 stars . . . . . wink
[/size]
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by victorazy(m): 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2010
maedan:

I haven't seen the movie. Yet. So many mixed reviews. But why is it that they can't make a Hollywood movie without mentioning Nigeria in a disparaging way? Anyhow, I take it as a "levels" grin. They just love to hate (on) us. Lol.

Thats my point. Why must they be mentioning or showing our weary part than making known the goodies and beautiful things we're bless with. I think government should look into this matter cuz they did the same thing in "Tears of the Sun".
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by victorazy(m): 7:47pm On Mar 08, 2010
can someone say something
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by bgees(m): 8:12pm On Mar 08, 2010
^ I think u are overreacting. this is not as bad as our portrayal in District 9.

besides, it was only made in a sentence.

OK. think of this. consider the state of the nation at present. the oil militants, islamic militias(boko haram), the jos carnage, angry citizenry and this neo-biafra movement . don't u think we might be heading towards being a war zone?

they could be right ya know? that basically represents how a part of the outside world sees us.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by parki: 3:20pm On Mar 09, 2010
what sort of ridiculous thread is this angry
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 09, 2010
I have watched the movie twice in 3D and did not catch that line embarassed

Are you sure you aint making it up?
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 3:24pm On Mar 09, 2010
osaass:

Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2010
They mentioned Nigeria, so what?
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by ajadudu: 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2010
LOL watching it twice in 3D will make you catch the Audio line? hahhaa

Yes, he did say Nigeria, but also Venezuela as places they had fought and won, I think it is more in line to obtaining natural resources (Oil=Nigeria, Venezuela) as they were now trying to mine unobtanium (Pandora's natural resource) on Pandora
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2010
spikedcylinder:

They mentioned Nigeria, so what?

Exactly.

so what ?
and here it is on the coverpage.
is seun still managing this frontpage topic or someone else ?
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by fishaboi(m): 3:43pm On Mar 09, 2010
this is a half ars'ed topic
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by hatch: 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2010
Na Wa Oh ! So some peoples head ache now is the fact that Avartar referred or mentioned "Nigeria" in the movie ?    
I don't get it ? is it that we are jobless or jut outright dumb  undecided
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by maedan(f): 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2010
They should stop disrespecting us o angry. Anyway it's more glamourous to mention Nigeria than, say, Ghana or Sierra Leone. Or even RSA. We be popping tongue grin.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by DoubleN(m): 3:47pm On Mar 09, 2010
parki:

what sort of ridiculous thread is this  angry
I wonder o! undecided
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by maedan(f): 3:50pm On Mar 09, 2010
Ridiculous yes but it will soon achieve "hot topic" status with 25 replies or more. And yes, I'm helping wink tongue.

This Avatar sef I need to go and see it. But I hate the Pocahontas-foreigner-falling-for-indigene theme.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by Ben13: 3:51pm On Mar 09, 2010
Can't believe this made the front page~Tseeew~!

Hollywood acts to make real unlike others who only wishes. 'Tis not the only movie Naija was mentioned. I wonder why this' special.

Or are you kinda happy dat your country was mentioned?
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by Maxidoe(m): 3:52pm On Mar 09, 2010
osaass:

He is not making it up, i watched it once heard it, and rewind to be sure,so i guess you need to watch it again
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 3:58pm On Mar 09, 2010
Och aye. Where's my genial when he's needed? cry
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by jidobaba(m): 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2010
victorazy:

If u've not watched AVATAR the best animated movie in the market, your missing something.     

its a sad commentary on the puerile state of the world when so many adults keep spewing that rubbish and think they are being astute
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by jessefly: 4:04pm On Mar 09, 2010
9ja is gonna be a reference for bad things now in hollywood plots so expect more, even expect a best-seller on 9ja cos it seems we popping up in CNN for all d wrong reasons
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by naijaswag1: 4:05pm On Mar 09, 2010
Nigeria is one of the few countries in Africa that a Western can probably locate on the map.I have heard them mention Nigeria in several movies.The General talked about Nigeria in Prison Break.
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by obinna5000(m): 4:08pm On Mar 09, 2010
Nigeria was not the only country mentioned. Venezuela was mentioned as well.

You can't compare the way Nigeria was referenced in "Avatar" to "District 9". The reference of Nigeria in District 9 was just disrespectful. Nigerians were pictured as savages and cannibals in "District 9".
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by eterpete: 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2010
I couldn't believe my ears when i heard the guy mention Nigeria in the cinema smiley I don tire, i no fit laugh or cry cos i can't kick anybody's ass for now so i just sat back and watched the template movie that the west normally makes

I saw a fantastic critic of the movie that does have a great deal of truth in it, i notice the whole idea in this critic in all facets of there society; how they explain stuff, tell the news, etc

Check it out here and enjoy (also thank me smiley )http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-white-people-stop-making-movies-like-avatar
Re: Avatar, Insult Or Exaltation To Nigeria by blackmann(m): 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2010
The worst of it all was in district 9, where nigerians were referred to as cannibals. there was another movie where bruce willis was a mercenary trying to rescue some pple from nigeria to cameroon, and when someone mentioned God helping the pple in "nigeria" he said and i quote "god has already left Nigeria". look at the PS3 advert too.
so many others i cannot mention. i dnt blame them though. the way the country's image has been tarnished, everyone out here sees anything "nigerian" as being bad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2018 Oscars Winners / Watch Dstv And IPTV Free Without Monthly Subscription / The Revival Of Igbo Movies: Some Actors To Watch Out For!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.