Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion (13043 Views)

Dangerous Attitudes Amongst Nigerian Churches In The Diaspora / How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 10:48am On Oct 05, 2017
Samsimple:
Just an opinion, pls no insults abeg

should the mosques be taxed too ? , you are an anti Christian fanatics ...poverty will never invade Christianity
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 10:48am On Oct 05, 2017
should the mosques be taxed too ? , you are an anti Christian fanatics ...poverty will never invade Christianity
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by 400billionman: 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:
Why will a non-profit organisation pay tax

Who told you they are not making profit but they are buying Range rover, Prado, Mercedes, cars ordinary Nigerians cannot afford.

All businessmen should be taxed. They are businessmen when they start longing for money and asking people to pay for prayers or audience. Today, people pay pastors for their time.

Don't you task CONSULTANTS and COUNSELLORS ?

Most of them fall in that category.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Afritop(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:

Tax = Thief In your dictionary ba.?
Please bow your head undecided
CAN YOU PLS BE STRAIGHTFORWARD
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
babadee1:

Non-profit organizations are allowed to make profit. The legal issue is that making profit is not their main purpose of existence. They survive on voluntary donations made in exchange for nothing.
They also provide a useful public service which complements the work of the government. That is why they are exempt from paying taxes.

An earning is an earning, An income. is an income.

In developed nations every earning or income is taxed.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Tithe.
Offering, etc.

Are all income. All income are taxable.

All churches are registered in Nigeria's corporate affairs commission. Go figure.
dont mind him, he thinks he knows it all but when u read through u will find faults in the writeup
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by YelloweWest: 10:50am On Oct 05, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

who told you they're not being taxed?

even if they aren't, this is a question about churches and mosques
N.a. churches alone I see there. No mosques
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Saintzykie: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2017
jeffucee10:

Churches should start paying tax cos all we see they do is buying cars, private jets, private schools which has nothing to do with the gospel.

If your argument is on taxing the schools, and other businesses within the church environment, then yes I totally support that but to tax the offering..NO.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 10:51am On Oct 05, 2017
Oladipo1166:
The op must b mentally ill y must he mention only church not religious centers i smell something is........
go take ur bath
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2017
MOSQUES SHOULD ALSO PAY TAX, No be only Churches

ooshinibos:
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ogele: 10:52am On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:

Just hear yourself. For me Churches and Mosques are supposed to be taxed. why will an organisation that got itself registered under the Company and Allied Act of Nigeria as a Non-Profit Organisation owns schools where school fees are paid, own private jets that are used for charter services that is well known to the people.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Saintzykie: 10:52am On Oct 05, 2017
PrecisionFx:

An earning is an earning, An income. is an income.

In developed nations every earning or income is taxed.
LOL..But Nigeria is not a developed nation na...
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 10:52am On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

FYI, i am a christian
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:53am On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:

Because they demonstrably profit from the enterprise. Owners and administrators of "non-profits" are not supposed to ride private jets and run business empires.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:

Please research your facts.
Churches are tax-exempt in America.
Check it up

Try and get my point.

Your earlier narrative (or what I interpreted it to be) was that worker's income after tax shouldn't be taxed again.

I'm just telling you otherwise.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by uboma(m): 10:54am On Oct 05, 2017
butterflyl1on:

They cannot be made to do that. It's an impossibility.

Why do you think so?

If there is a law put in place mandating Churches and Mosques to pay taxes, you cannot do otherwise....
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 10:57am On Oct 05, 2017
Samsimple:

FYI, i am a christian
does not matter , most of the pro poverty movement are Christians , you will never hear a Muslim questions how funds are raised in mosque.

Am not saying funds are perfectly managed in our churches but we need to find a better way to address it within the church not in the secular world
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

I'n not a Muslim, but stop deceiving yourself. Mosques do not run anything like the gluttonous, money-obsessed scam enterprise that churches (especially Pentecostal churches, but these days also, even Orthodox churches) are running.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 10:59am On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

does not matter , most of the pro poverty movement are Christians , you will never hear a Muslim questions how funds are raised in mosque.

Am not saying funds are perfectly managed in our churches but we need to find a better way to address it within the church not in the secular world
whatever
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 10:59am On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I'n not a Muslim, but stop deceiving yourself. Mosques do not run anything like the gluttonous, money-obsessed scam enterprise that churches (especially Pentecostal churches, but these days also, even Orthodox churches) are running.

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:00am On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

it is Nigerian poverty that corrupted these churches ...
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2017
NairaSand:

Try and get my point.

Your earlier narrative (or what I interpreted it to be) was that worker's income after tax shouldn't be taxed again.

I'm just telling you otherwise.
u better leave that one he is unbearable
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by butterflyl1on: 11:01am On Oct 05, 2017
PrecisionFx:

""(minimum wage is determined by the church and not government""

Minimum wage should be determined by FG n labour unions Sir.

Read my comment again please. First of all. government does not regulate churches thus cannot regulate her earnings or minimum wages. There is no ministry of religion and our constitution does not make provision for such. Until this is done then nothing can be done.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by butterflyl1on: 11:02am On Oct 05, 2017
uboma:

Why do you think so?

If there is a law put in place mandating Churches and Mosques to pay taxes, you cannot do otherwise....

I already gave cogent reasons earlier but let me post it again.

Government doesn’t regulate the Church. It doesn’t pick favorites by providing subsidies to one church but not another. No one is taxed.

Starting up a church does not require government approval. No civil rights laws affect hiring or services (minimum wage is determined by the church and not government).

Government does not audit churches. It does not keep a register of religious groups. There is no “Nigerian Ministry of Religion” that subsidizes or regulates religion. Churches do not even file the same paperwork that other types of nonprofits submit as a means to provide transparency to the public.

Let me itemise it

1. Government can’t pick some churches to tax and regulate but not others (in the case of prosperity preaching churches or preachers). It must practice benevolent neutrality.

2. If we tax churches, then we will need to tax all not-for-profit organizations.

3. To tax churches, government would need to have the (currently unconstitutional) authority to audit and regulate churches. Our constitution as a nation prohibits this and so your OP is nullified.

4. Taxation would benefit large churches and ministries and harm smaller ones

5. It wouldn’t solve the problem and this is why.
If we tax churches, then churches will do what other businesses do. They will increase expenditures in order to reduce taxable income. FYI, income is revenue minus expenditures.

The prosperity ministries million dollar income? That’s an expense!

What they spend on church programmes and Crusades and charities? That's An expense!

The private jet to travel for business? That's Another expense!

Once the expenses deliberately increase there won’t be any income to tax.

God is wise
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:04am On Oct 05, 2017
when it comes to money Christianity is the only religion in the world that is attacked when it comes to wealth or money ..
A Muslim organization just bought a building in central London for 5.1 million pounds ..no uproar or questions asked where did the money came from ...
a Christian organization bought a property within the same amount ..all the newspaper or secular nearly had an heart attack :-)

why are people so anti Christian when it comes to money
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:05am On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

I see your point
when it comes to money Christianity is the only religion in the world that is attacked when it comes to wealth or money ..
A Muslim organization just bought a building in central London for 5.1 million pounds ..no uproar or questions asked where did the money came from ...
a Christian organization bought a property within the same amount ..all the newspaper or secular nearly had an heart attack :-)

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:06am On Oct 05, 2017
I see your point regarding mismanagement of funds
when it comes to money, Christianity is the only religion in the world that is attacked when it comes to wealth or money ..

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:08am On Oct 05, 2017
by the way Nigerian Government does not do anything for its citizens ..
No healthcare , infrastructure , no electricity , no good roads ....they do not qualify to collect tax without providing any service :-)
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:18am On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

Many countries in civilized climes apply serious scrutiny to the activities of all non-profits, including churches. This is why Nigerian pastors like Ashimolowo and Oyakhilome have gotten into trouble in the past abroad. There is no reason the government cannot regulate the activities of these exploitative syndicates.

ooshinibos:

I see your point

Because Christianity (especially Pentecostals/Evangelicals) seems unique among religions for their obsessive emphasis on material gain and financial exploitation of members. Islam, Judaism or Oriental religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism etc) don't seem to have nearly as big a problem. I can't comment on your UK story because I know little about it. But we would be lying to ourselves if we do not admit Christianity has a unique problem.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Many countries in civilized climes apply serious scrutiny to the activities of all non-profits, including churches. This is why Nigerian pastors like Ashimolowo and Oyakhilome have gotten into trouble in the past abroad. There is no reason the government cannot regulate the activities of these exploitative syndicates.

Because Christianity (especially Pentecostals/Evangelicals) seems unique among religions for their obsessive emphasis on material gain and financial exploitation of members. Islam, Judaism or Oriental religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism etc) don't seem to have nearly as big a problem. I can't comment on your UK story because I know little about it. But we would be lying to ourselves if we do not admit Christianity has a unique problem.

Nobody is against regulation , the problem here is that Nigerian government is not credible , they cannot even regulate themselves ..you cannot even compare Nigeria to a civilized country ..by the way NGO pays taxes in UK and America when they reach a certain threshold , for example is if a pastor is earning above 25000 pounds the income is taxed ,evident charitable projects are not taxed ..donations to help the poor e.g. food banks are not taxed
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by benji93: 11:32am On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:
The people donating money to church have already payed tax.
You cant tax contribution of tax payers who have already payed tax.

Try to reason it properly. Ok
I am sorry, but your reasoning is not definite too, who do you call
a tax payer? Did you just call the payments church members make to their churches contribution? this is relative
There has to be a threshold beyond which whatever money so called non-profit organizations make is taxed.
Nonetheless, there are are worthy causes or organization to which you can offer monies as a contribution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Does The Church I Attend Matter? / Follow Up Pastor Chris Live Online: Receive Words From Him Now: / 2023: Tinubu & Osinbajo Will Fight - Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.