Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion (13031 Views)

Dangerous Attitudes Amongst Nigerian Churches In The Diaspora / How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 11:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Nobody is against regulation , the problem here is that Nigerian government is not credible and provide no service to their citizens , they cannot even regulate themselves ..you cannot even compare Nigeria to a civilized country ..
by the way NGO pays taxes in UK and America when they reach a certain threshold , for example is if a pastor is earning above 25000 pounds the income is taxed ,evident charitable projects are not taxed ..donations to help the poor e.g. food banks are not taxed
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by felixomor: 11:37am On Oct 05, 2017
benji93:

I am sorry, but your reasoning is not definite too, who do you call
a tax payer? Did you just call the payments church members make to their churches contribution?
Yes it is contribution
It is not payment for any goods.

Do u have a more definite reasoning?
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:42am On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

Nobody is against regulation , the problem here is that Nigerian government is not credible , they cannot even regulate themselves ..you cannot even compare Nigeria to a civilized country ..by the way NGO pays taxes in UK and America when they reach a certain threshold , for example is if a pastor is earning above 25000 pounds the income is taxed ,evident charitable projects are not taxed ..donations to help the poor e.g. food banks are not taxed

The Nigerian government's incompetence isn't relevant. You might as well proscribe SON, or NAFDAC, or every other regulatory agency because Nigerian government "cannot even regulate themselves". And you're coming to my point that churches that are supposed to be NGO's shouldn't be allowed unfettered profits. Nigeria has some of the richest pastors in the world because this environment is ripe for maximum exploitation by churches.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:47am On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:

Yes it is contribution
It is not payment for any goods.

Do u have a more definite reasoning?

Churches do not solicit tithes as "contributions". They solicit tithes basically as their entitlements and evoke the imagery of "robbery" (as their favourite Malachi quote states) for any members who do not pay and also promote tithes as some kind of covenant (basically a personal investment) that would reap rich harvests for payers. It's basically a compulsive, overwhelming arm-twisting scam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Lomprico2: 11:51am On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:
Why will a non-profit organisation pay tax

Hehehehehe! grin
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by felixomor: 11:53am On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Churches do not solicit tithes as "contributions". They solicit tithes basically as their entitlements and evoke the imagery of "robbery" (as their favourite Malachi quote states) for any members who do not pay and also promote tithes as some kind of covenant (basically a personal investment) that would reap rich harvests for payers. It's basically a compulsive, overwhelming arm-twisting scam.
There are several people who go to church and dont pay nada.
So your "entitlement" narrative lacks reason.

these are simply your own opinion borne out of anti church sentiments. It doesn't change the fact on ground.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by babadee1(m): 12:00pm On Oct 05, 2017
PrecisionFx:

An earning is an earning, An income. is an income.

In developed nations every earning or income is taxed.

That is not true at all. In pretty much every country in the world non-profits and religious organizations are never taxed. The personal income of the people that work there can be taxed but the organization itself is exempt from taxes.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:03pm On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:

There are several people who go to church and dont pay nada.
So your "entitlement" narrative lacks reason.

these are simply your own opinion borne out of anti church sentiments. It doesn't change the fact on ground.

Not in most new generation churches. grin Dem go don shame you tire. I once visited a Pentecostal church that my aunt took my dad to before his eye surgery. The money those people ensured they took from our pockets........I went to that church just once and on my only day there, the pastor made sure she basically shamed me into making a pledge for their church development fund. It's delusional pretending these things don't happen. I'm not some stranger from Afghanistan. I've lived in Nigeria all my life and know a thing or two about how churches operate and fleece their flock.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by felixomor: 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Not in most new generation churches. grin Dem go don shame you tire. I once visited a Pentecostal church that my aunt took my dad to before his eye surgery. The money those people ensured they took from our pockets........I went to that church just once and on my only day there, the pastor made sure she basically shamed me into making a pledge for their church development fund. It's delusional pretending these things don't happen. I'm not some stranger from Afghanistan. I've lived in Nigeria all my life and know a thing or two about how churches operate and fleece their flock.
And then you used your aunty's church to make sample and conclude for the whole Nigeria.
Abegi undecided
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:11pm On Oct 05, 2017
felixomor:

And then you used your aunty's church to make sample and conclude for the whole Nigeria.
Abegi undecided

No. I used my entire experience with churches in Nigeria as a basis. I only listed that as an example of the antics churches get up to. You're the one burying your head in the sand about what is evident reality.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Kenerd: 12:44pm On Oct 05, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Religious belief is an invisible security blanket for insecure individuals.

Closeted minds will continue to allow brainwashing and indoctrination by religious leaders that there is a 'god', and there was a 'jesus', in order that the people with closed minds allow themselves to be controlled so that the various Corporations (churches) remain profitable as the tax-free money continues to roll in.
I'm still baffled that with so much advance in tech, a lot of people still refuse to drop things that are obsolete no longer useful.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by pxalmydee(m): 1:03pm On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:
why will a non governmental organization run a private university? and also running at an higher fees not making it accessible to the poor member.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

The Nigerian government's incompetence isn't relevant. You might as well proscribe SON, or NAFDAC, or every other regulatory agency because Nigerian government "cannot even regulate themselves". And you're coming to my point that churches that are supposed to be NGO's shouldn't be allowed unfettered profits. Nigeria has some of the richest pastors in the world because this environment is ripe for maximum exploitation by churches.
off course the Nigerian government competence is relevant , very relevant , for example , for civilized countries were NGOs are regulated , the government there provides a service to NGOs for examples , tax credits , tax exempts , gift aid donations etc , this gives the government credible authority to investigates the NGOs accounts ..and they do so .
In Nigeria , the churches or NGOs fend for themselves ,no government input whatsoever , so that's why the government cant regulate or tax them , its very simple Obi1kenobi
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

you make me laugh Obi1kenobi , Government cant even regulate Nairaland and they want to regulate NGOs , you got to be kidding me
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by tunary(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2017
yes
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2017
Desyner:
Your subtle trap is detected. Jesus command his follower to pay and not the Church body. Two different things. And Jesus' commandment does not apply to muslims mr man.
Jesus commanded his followers, is the pastor not a follower of christ. Is he not heading the property of christ, so i see no reason why the church can't pay. Mind u,wen we call the church, we mean the pastors pls. It is the law of the land.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by felixomor: 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

[s]No. I used my entire experience with churches in Nigeria as a basis. I only listed that as an example of the antics churches get up to. You're the one burying your head in the sand about what is evident reality[/s].
There is only one big reality here
Your anti church sentiments will never go any where taxing the church.
Live with it. smiley
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by obstead200(m): 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2017
Fleewpeed:
there is a serious need to redefine the term "non- profit organization"
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Desyner: 2:05pm On Oct 05, 2017
Pacecar:

Jesus commanded his followers, is the pastor not a follower of christ. Is he not heading the property of christ, so i see no reason why the church can't pay. Mind u,wen we call the church, we mean the pastors pls. It is the law of the land.
Is the church a property of the pastor ?
So 'pastor = church' ? I hope 'BH = muslims' also?
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by eventsms(m): 4:17pm On Oct 05, 2017
Yes.
Nigeria pastors are criminals accept TB JOSHUA .
Government deserve to collect tax from them.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by lawani: 4:22pm On Oct 05, 2017
They Are not for profit, they dont declare profit any money they collect is solely to spread the gospel around the world but you can tax their workers via income tax and you will still reap billions of naira. Also, their businesses like schools, banks are taxable but Nigeria as a whole is virgin territory for taxation.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ultron12345: 4:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
Not only churches, all religious institutions including mosques should be taxed......95% tax, there should also be an agency to regulate religious institutions the way CBN regulates banks. Such regulations should include compulsory quarterly financial audits

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by obstead200(m): 5:17pm On Oct 05, 2017
ooshinibos:

off course the Nigerian government competence is relevant , very relevant , for example , for civilized countries were NGOs are regulated , the government there provides a service to NGOs for examples , tax credits , tax exempts , gift aid donations etc , this gives the government credible authority to investigates the NGOs accounts ..and they do so .
In Nigeria , the churches or NGOs fend for themselves ,no government input whatsoever , so that's why the government cant regulate or tax them , its very simple Obi1kenobi
u dont even understand what u are talking about. How can u talk of tax credit when no tax is being charged
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by ooshinibos: 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2017
obstead200:
u dont even understand what u are talking about. How can u talk of tax credit when no tax is being charged
it just an example of services that he Government can make available to NGOs like in the civilized countries, for example Nigerian government charges VAT on some of the goods sold in Nigeria , that can provide tax exemption for NGOs this will give them the credibility to check the accounts of NGO ..right now Nigerian government is offering no services to NGO or even their own citizens and that's why NGOs are not accountable to them .. .
obstead200 you have to think outside the box before you can understand what's we are saying here o :-)
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by charlsecy(m): 7:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
bakbayus:
Why do the Government imposes tax? I want to believe dat, its simply because they don't want any institution to be bigger or richer than the Country.
Very wrong answer.
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Champele(m): 10:53pm On Oct 05, 2017
sogud:

ur qtion sound stupid...... wat concern d house of God wit tax, dos d hse of God luk lyk an office or wer pple wrk to earn monthly salary..u beta go n ask for forgiveness b4 u lay curse on ursef.....Haba nxt tym t
ink wel b4 postin rubbish on nairalannd...
u re d typ dat lyk inflictin prob on churches..
Bewarn
It obviously look like an office. Some have receptions. Lol!
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 7:16am On Oct 06, 2017
Champele:
It obviously look like an office. Some have receptions. Lol!
hahaha reception u must fill form

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by bakbayus: 9:15pm On Oct 06, 2017
charlsecy:
Very wrong answer.
tenx boss kindly enlighten me. By d way love d maturity in ur response
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by Samsimple(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2018
obstead200:
there is a serious need to redefine the term "non- profit organization"
true that

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by budaatum: 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2018
felixomor:
The people donating money to church have already payed tax.
You cant tax contribution of tax payers who have already payed tax.

Try to reason it properly. Ok
I paid tax. I wonder why I pay tax on a bottle of beer, and why the beer seller pays tax too?!
Re: Should Nigerian Churches Be Taxed By The Government? Share Your Opinion by lawani: 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2018
church money is to spread the gospel to unbelievers, that is the problem. church money is to spread tales that a virgin gave birth and jesus is coming soon! You cant tax them but you can make what they do unconstitutional and thereby disband them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Face To Face With Hate Islamic Preacher, Professor Dauda Ojobi / Chris Okotie Celebrates His 57th Birthday Today / The Four Types Of Fear I Faced on my journey To Atheism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.