Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,306 members, 7,826,211 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? (589 Views)

How Best Can Biafra War Be Taught In Classrooms? / Can Biafra Truly Work? A Honest Question / If Ss,benue & Kogi Is Part Of Biafra Referendum Can Biafra Win Over 1 Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Mune: 7:26am On Oct 06, 2017
Even without Nnamdi Kanu, I doubt with the current structure of Nigeria, Biafra can ever be reliazed.

From 'Biafra' to 'Arewa Republic' to 'Odudua Republic' to 'Niger- delta Republic' to 'Kurdistan' to 'Catalonia' to 'Ambazonia' to 'who knows in the future Republic'?- like hurricane season like secession season.

What does it take for a new country to be recognized internationally?

There are stringent steps to be followed before a country is recognized internationally as an independent state and ALL the countries above have a near zero chance of even making it to ever becoming one at present.

What are the requirements?

1. Declaring your intension to form a new country with the following conditions attached:

a. Exist within a clearly defined territory( easy for some and not others-Biafra, Odudua Republic, Arewa Republic)

b. Have a permanent population( easy for some)

c. Have a government( In Nigeria, it's confusing: probably why some restructuring mullahs and pastors are advocating for it)

d. Be able to enter into relationship with other sovereign states( In Nigeria, the situation is as confusing as the scientific origin of man and the universe)

2. Country must be recognized by existing states within the International Community, a decision made at each country's discretion( Some country can recognized a particular new state while others may decide not to)

3. Join the United Nation( 193 member states) by accepting its charter.
Note: is only opened to peace loving states- a slight conflict in your domain can derail your chances( this is ambiguous by the way)

Joining UN is done via below procedures:

a. Send an application addressed to UN Secretary General

b. Application to pass through the UN Security Council of 15 member states of which 9 must approve( the vote of the 5 permanent members is the most important- an objection through veto by any will automatically kill your chances)

c. If approved by the Security Council, the application is then sent to the General Assembly comprising of 193 member states of which 2/3 must approve.., if not, your chances are automatically dead.

With the above, I think the Nigeria government shouldn't worry itself at all about this secessionist propagandist, because non of them has a slightest chance of ever making it to becoming a country in the current Nigeria structure. Advocates of restructuring, especially those calling for 'resource control', 'regional government' etc knows better

It is my opinion that the current structure of Nigeria remains. However, there should be a localized form of 'devolution of powers' ie some functions performed by the FG should be handed over to state governments with a commensurate compensation via additional resources from the center.

Issue of security is a tricky one in the Nigeria context. This require serious strategic thinking from the authorities concerned, because, there will be a conflagration to abuses of the system-dreaming of an independent police!!!!! haha

No need to create new states, but empower existing ones to perform better( with the same people today)

The legislature should become lean to save cost and many more...

The end for now...

http://abbasgarba..com.ng/2017/10/do-biafra-and-others-have-chance.html?m=1
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 06, 2017
Shut up. E don do
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by cuedish: 7:36am On Oct 06, 2017
Are these agitator intelligent at all....

They don't know all these.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by blackpanda: 7:36am On Oct 06, 2017
The answer to your question is: NEVER?

With respect to restructuring or devolution of any powers: that makes no sense. States can barely pay salaries let alone adding more responsibilities. The governors and lg council aleeady have more than enough powers to change the lives of their people but greed and corruption are the main problem. What happened to bail out funds given to states?? What did they do with it?? Thats an example of what will happen with restructuring.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by SweetJoystick(m): 7:38am On Oct 06, 2017
Yes it can and it will. It's just a matter of time, no matter how long the struggle is.

1 Like

Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Bari22: 7:39am On Oct 06, 2017
yes, in dreams ba. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by tsdarkside(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2017
too late.......anything other than going to war is not visable....

in a democracy their was a chance....in military rule no chance...

but now even in democratic system ipob is declared a terrorist group....no chance too....

other biafra groups risk to be declared a terrorist group now too...
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by eph12(m): 7:54am On Oct 06, 2017
blackpanda:
The answer to your question is: NEVER?

With respect to restructuring or devolution of any powers: that makes no sense. States can barely pay salaries let alone adding more responsibilities. The governors and lg council aleeady have more than enough powers to change the lives of their people but greed and corruption are the main problem. What happened to bail out funds given to states?? What did they do with it?? Thats an example of what will happen with restructuring.
But then people of that state will know that their government (which is closer to them than the FG) is solely responsible for their progress. There won't be any emphasis on the FG. Most key infrastructures are carried out by the FG and imo State governors are lazy for this.

If we remain like this, those parisitic States will never have initiative on how to generate revenue. Few years from now, Nigeria will be worse off.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by gidgiddy: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2017
I think that the main question is what kind of Nigeria will there be if Biafra is not realised?

Anyone thinking that Nigeria can continue the way it is going is only fooling themselves. Even those calling for restructuring are now agreeing that restructuring has to be a return to the 1963 constitution.

But then, there is the Northern factor. I dont believe that the North will ever agree to restructuring. I think that when all the Southern groups finally come to the realisation that the North never allow restructuring, the call will no longer be that of restructuring but that of secession.

With the 3 geopolitical zones in the south calling for secession, Nigerias disintegration will be a matter of when, not if.

I think that Biafra will be eventually be realised, secession is only an extreme form of restructuring
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by blackpanda: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2017
eph12:

But then people of that state will know that their government (which is closer to them than the FG) is solely responsible for their progress. There won't be any emphasis on the FG. Most key infrastructures are carried out by the FG and imo State governors are lazy for this.

If we remain like this, those parisitic States will never have initiative on how to generate revenue. Few years from now, Nigeria will be worse off.

People of the state already know that but they are often to lazy, docile and tribalistic to demand accountability. Given the state more money wont change that. Everybody looks to fg because it easier to criticize a person when he is far away from u then wen he is next door. How many people even know whom their lg councillor is, let alone their rep in the house of assembly?? But they can list all the members of national assembly and tell u all the bad things they are doing. What we need is re-orientation not restructuring. The ngos, media and civil society need to focus more at state level and not just federal. You may find that some states (governors) are secretly richer than fg itself

2 Likes

Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by eph12(m): 8:09am On Oct 06, 2017
blackpanda:

People of the state already know that but they are often to lazy, docile and tribalistic to demand accountability. Given the state more money wont change that. Everybody looks to fg because it easier to criticize a person when he is far away from u then wen he is next door. How many people even know whom their lg councillor is, let alone their rep in the house of assembly?? But they can list all the members of national assembly and tell u all the bad things they are doing. What we need is re-orientation not restructuring. The ngos, media and civil society need to focus more at state level and not just federal. You may find that some states (governors) are secretly richer than fg itself
You have just agreed with me. We need to take away the focus entirely from the FG. No orientation will work because the no matter what you or anybody says, the fact is that it's the FG that gives money to the state. That can't continue.

Tribalism won't be a tool anymore if restructuring is allowed, hope you know that? There won't be laziness since they're solely responsible for funds generated by their government
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Mune: 8:14am On Oct 06, 2017
gidgiddy:
I think that the main question is what kind of Nigeria will there be if Biafra is not realised?

Anyone thinking that Nigeria can continue the way it is going is only fooling themselves. Even those calling for restructuring are now agreeing that restructuring has to be a return to the 1963 constitution.

But then, there is the Northern factor. I dont believe that the North will ever agree to restructuring. I think that when all the Southern groups finally come to the realisation that the North never allow restructuring, the call will no longer be that of restructuring but that of secession.

With the 3 geopolitical zones in the south calling for secession, Nigerias disintegration will be a matter of when, not if.

I think that Biafra will be eventually be realised, secession is only an extreme form of restructuring

Regional government at present will be dangerous for the Nigeria system looking at past experiences and current happenings.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by gidgiddy: 8:16am On Oct 06, 2017
Mune:

Regional government at present will be dangerous for the Nigeria system looking at past experiences and current happenings.

Regional government did far better than the current system
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by God2man(m): 8:21am On Oct 06, 2017
In my own opinion, the answer is No!

Biafra will be very difficult to actualize, it is a complicated issue the best alternative is Restructuring.

Biafra is like taking one leg forward and taking seven legs backward.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by magoo10(m): 8:23am On Oct 06, 2017
Nothing is impossible in this world

Biafra us very possible especially with the wack Nigeria system,nobody who wants a meaningful life for himself and children unborn will like to stay in Nigeria .
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Mune: 8:26am On Oct 06, 2017
gidgiddy:

Regional government did far better than the current system

I agree.. though it make secessionist agenda easier.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by gidgiddy: 8:52am On Oct 06, 2017
Mune:

I agree.. though it make secessionist agenda easier.

Which is why the North dont want it. The Norths power comes from 'one Nigeria under unitary rule' where they can use their numbers to intimidate everyone and give Kano 44 local govts while Lagos does not have half of that.

But when there are autonomous regions, the power of the North will be over, and the North are not prepared to take that.

So in the end, the real issue here is not actually Biafra or restructuring or even 'one Nigeria'

The real issue here is 'one Nigeria under the North'
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Hofbrauhaus(m): 8:54am On Oct 06, 2017
I shall see and enter God's kingdom on earth.

Yes, it shall be actualized . And it shall come in my lifetime.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by agbangam: 9:20am On Oct 06, 2017
Naaaahh, it is not possible cos dey have many sell-out in dat region. With few millions those pple are ready to betray their fathers talk less of their community. They shud just grow up politically cos dey add Emotions to their politics and dat has worked badly for them.
Outside dat with their huge investments in other regions, inter-marriage, geographically dey are @ a disadvantaged(Landlocked) and poor development of their region caused basically by their looting governors and nature, it will be very difficult for dem to have their Biafra.
They also have dis Ethnic competition were an Anambra man feels superior to an Ebonyi man, dat is also a problem, not to talk of adding Ijaw, Irhobo, Itsekiri wey their eyes don tear to their Biafra, dat is double wahala.
My own take is dat dey shud use their Biafra agitation to arm twist any government to bring more Federal presence to their region. It wud worked very fine.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Mune: 9:22am On Oct 06, 2017
gidgiddy:

Which is why the North dont want it. The Norths power comes from 'one Nigeria under unitary rule' where they can use their numbers to intimidate everyone and give Kano 44 local govts while Lagos does not have half of that.

But when there are autonomous regions, the power of the North will be over, and the North are not prepared to take that.

So in the end, the real issue here is not actually Biafra or restructuring or even 'one Nigeria'

The real issue here is 'one Nigeria under the North'

Comparing Kano and Lagos is like comparing cucumber and watermelon. Lagos has a high population density not land mass or population no. I don't think higher population density is one of the criteria of having higher LGAs.
Re: Can Biafra Ever Be Reliazed? by Malawian(m): 10:50am On Oct 06, 2017
I didnt even see any conflict before bakassi was handed over to Cameroun. Even Omar Bashir of Sudan was feeling untouchable. We will see the Lord's doing, and it will be marvelous in our sights. It takes a certain kind of people to think they will be allowed to continue to kill and plunder another group of people forever.

(1) (Reply)

What Buhari Really Told The U.n Chief By Femi Adesina / Payment Of Biafra Policemen Will End Civil War Pains – Nigerian Government / My Civil War Story – Yakubu Gowon Finally Speaks On “aburi Accord”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.