Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations (51564 Views)

Maikanti Baru Is Dead / Ibe Kachikwu Shakes Baru At The Nigerian Economic Summit, Earlier Today / Ibe Kachikwu Exposes Maikanti Baru Through His Letter To Buhari (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:

...GEJ sacked sanusi without investigating.

That my friend is a lie.

GEJ asked Sanusi, NOI, Deziani and their teams to sit down together and get to the bottom of the allegation of missing the 49billion dollars raised by Sanusi. He was only sacked after he came up with a different figure after that meeting and it became obvious he wanted to play to the gallery for political gains.

We all saw how it panned out. Did any of the subsequent audits validate any of his claims? NO!
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by bizza45: 6:04pm On Oct 09, 2017
Newbiee:
Ok, Kachikwu seems to be working for IPOB. The guy just cooked-up figures to tarnish the image of NNPC in particular and the administration in general. I hope he would be sanctioned, he is the real insubbordinator. I think the Kachikwu guy is suffering from the hang over of the privilege done to him by Mr. President to allow him been the GMD as well as the minister of state for petroleum at the same time. After effect of Alpha & Omega thing syndrome affecting him.

nigga u insane
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by CioAngels(f): 6:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
It is good the junior errand boy has spoken now and is good also to have people to educate you on what say to defeat the senior errand boy. What i don't understand is why some people feels that they are the only one to take control, this is the reasons we have washed our dirty linen for the world to see,What a shame. Baba jebu says education is no Wisdom. I can ser restructuring is on already going on, the advantages which pa Unongo said they will not leave is the process that is in place now. Smart relations, Weldon.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
WHY WOULD A NORTHERNER BE THE GMD OF NNPC?
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Bobby808: 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2017
skedman:
you have refuse to educate yourself .please read it all over again whether you can still bring out something tangible fron the write up rather than concluding so fast.
So you won to believe that cooked response abi?
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Reference(m): 6:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
grin Kachikwu has forgotten the advise of former PDP stalwart and late Alex Akinyele....
'... it is bad manners to talk while you're eating....'
As someone said he's ended up with egg on his face and a bit down his windpipe. Next time just keep kwayet and enjoy....' at the king's table.

4 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Eruditor: 6:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Did Baru's comments cause you pain? Is that why you lashed out? You really do need to go back and read his submission all over again. He listed out each contract, and stated who gave the approvals, one after the other. He even sought clarification from the BPP. Now, please go cringe somewhere and try to think deeply, if you can. It appears you have not done much of that lately.

Oh lord *face palm*

This is what is supposed to constitute the NTB based on Baru's write-up.

Table 2: Composition of Tenders Board (SGF Circular (iii) above)

Ministry

Chairman

Permanent Secretary

Members

Heads of Departments

Parastatals

Chairman

Chief Executive

Members

Heads of Departments

Except Baru was having a brainfart moment similar to you.

BPP clarified according to this same write-up that the chairman is the NNPC GMD and the members are the GEDs. The GGM procurement acts as the Secretary.

Based on the forgoing, PMB in whatever capacity cannot make approvals of the contracts because he does not belong to the NTB whether as president or Substantial minister.

So NNPC GMD and his GEDs will sit and approve contracts as they please except it exceeds a certain amount and in that case they can defer to the FEC for approval? Who do you suppose represents their interest at the FEC? President Buhari?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:
I must confess, this is a well detailed and packaged sound response quoting facts and figures with events and present underlying conditions.

As it is always said, there is always the second and third story to every issue, and its not the first to break the silence that is justified.

I like the role the presidency played against pressure to act without giving the opportunity to the other party to respond, this shows maturity against when GEJ sacked sanusi without investigating.

So the next thing is for an independent body to look into these weighty allegations and give recommendations to be acted and implemented.

In addition.

The way NNPC is structured now from what I read, it will be difficult for one person like Diezani to take absolutely decision & control of major contract unlike before.

Some one is annoyed that he doesn't have absolute power and influence in taking control as he personally wanted, but the man should understand what the act says and stipulates. I believe the act is the best for the industry.
Your thinking is very shall,you said someone is not happy he doesn't have absolute power and influence in taking control Ashe wanted,yet you said the way nnpc is structured,my question is this, in all indication you were referring to kachukwu,so who structures the NNPC?
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 09, 2017
Eruditor:

Oh lord *face palm*

This is what is supposed to constitute the NTB based on Baru's write-up.

Ministry

Chairman

Permanent Secretary

Members

Heads of Departments

Parastatals

Chairman

Chief Executive

Members

Heads of Departments

Except Baru was having a brainfart moment similar to you.

BPP clarified according to this same write-up that the chairman is the NNPC GMD and the members are the GEDs. The GGM procurement acts as the Secretary.

Based on the forgoing, PMB in whatever capacity cannot make approvals of the contracts because he does not belong to the NTB whether as president or Substantial minister.

So NNPC GMD and his GEDs will sit and approve contracts as they please except it exceeds a certain amount and in that case they can defer to the FEC for approval? Who do you suppose represents their interest at the FEC? President Buhari?

I know you are stu.pid and all but not that stu.pid.
Thank you.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by CeterisXVII: 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
Eruditor:
Right back at you for making a totally inane and bigoted post and expecting not to be put in your place.

I thought you were of the suggestion that I have not done much thinking lately? Well, not only have you not done any thinking at all -lately, I doubt you have ever done so in your godforsaken life.

*up yours* grin

There was nothing bigoted about my post. If you chose to read it that way, it means you have a problem. Can't help you with that. You still need to think deeply. You were the first to allege that I should cringe and think deeply in your first post to me. I merely asked you to follow your own advice. Kachikwu constituted the tenders board and chaired it as GMD until he left the position in 2016. Suddenly, it is now wrong for Baru to chair the same tenders board as GMD and award contracts just as Kachikwu did, using the tenders board when he was GMD NNPC? Very funny.

Hello Mynd44, your attention is still needed to sanction this poster called Eruditor for breaching rule 2 again. He used the phrase 'godforsaken life' in an attempt to bully, provoke and insult a Nairalander. Thanks.

agabusta:
BREAKING: NNPC Scandal: Group Managing Director, Baru, breaks silence

Following the publication of alleged lack of adherence to due process in the award of NNPC contracts, the President ordered the Group Managing Director (GMD) and Management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to consider and respond expeditiously to the allegations.....

The substance of the allegations made by the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, in a letter to the President dated 30th of August 2017, is that a number of “major contracts were never reviewed or discussed with me (sic) the NNPC Board.”

It is important to note from the outset that the law and the rules do not require a review or discussion with the Minister of State or the NNPC Board on contractual matters. What is required is the processing and approval of contracts by the NNPC Tenders Board, the President in his executive capacity or as Minister of Petroleum, or the Federal Executive Council (FEC), as the case may be. There are therefore situations where all that is required is the approval of the NNPC Tenders Board while, in other cases, based on the threshold, the award must be submitted for presidential approval. Likewise, in some instances it is FEC approval that is required.

It should be noted that for both the Crude Term Contract and the Direct Sale and Direct Purchase (DSDP) agreements, there are no specific values attached to each transaction to warrant the values of $10billion and $5billion respectively placed on them in the claim of Dr. Kachikwu. It is therefore inappropriate to attach arbitrary values to the shortlists with the aim of classifying the transactions as contracts above NNPC Tenders Board limit. They are merely the shortlisting of prospective off-takers of crude oil and suppliers of petroleum products under agreed terms. These transactions were not required to be presented as contracts to the Board of NNPC and, of course, the monetary value of any crude oil eventually lifted by any of the companies goes straight into the federation account and not to the company.

Furthermore, contrary to the assertion of Dr. Kachikwu that he was never involved in the 2017/2018 contracting process for the Crude Oil Term Contracts, Dr. Kachikwu was in fact expressly consulted by the GMD and his recommendations were taken into account in following through the laid down procedure. Thus, for him to turn around and claim that “…these major contracts were never reviewed or discussed with me…” is most unfortunate to say the least.

THE NNPC CONTRACTING PROCESS

The contracting process in NNPC is governed by the following:

i. Provisions of the NNPC Act
ii. The Public Procurement Act, 2007 (PPA)
iii. Procurement method and thresholds of application and the composition of Tenders Board as provided by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Circular reference no. SGF/OP/1/S.3/VIII/57, dated 11th March, 2009.
iv. NNPC Delegation of Authority Guide
v. Supply Chain Management Policy & Procedure documents
vi. NNPC Ethics Guide
Approving Authority for Contracts

The SGF Circular (iii above) on procurement threshold provided the following authority limits for NNPC transactions as well as the composition of the NNPC Tenders Board:

Table 1: Financial Authority Threshold (SGF Circular (iii) above)

Approving Authority/No Objection to Award

Special Works (NNPC)

BPP issues “No objection to award”/FEC approves

N2.70 billion (USD 20M) and above

NNPC Tenders Board

Up to N2.7 billion (USD20M)

Ministry

Chairman

Permanent Secretary

Members

Heads of Departments

Parastatals

Chairman

Chief Executive

Members

Heads of Departments

NNPC had cause to clarify severally from Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) as to the composition of NNPC Tenders Board and the role of NNPC Board appointed by Government. The following clarifications were made.

a. The BPP expressly clarified that NNPC Tenders Board (NTB) is NOT the same as NNPC Board. The governing board (NNPC Board) is responsible for approval of work programmes, corporate plans and budgets, while the NTB is responsible for approval of day-to-day procurement implementation.

b. BPP referred to the SGF circular for the composition of the NTB to compose of the Accounting Officer (GMD NNPC) as the Chairman, with Heads of Department (GEDs) as members with the Head of procurement (GGM SCM) serving as the Secretary of the NNPC Tenders Board.

The above clarifications of the provisions of the procurement process show that approvals reside within the NTB and where thresholds are exceeded, the NNPC refers to FEC for approval. Therefore, the NNPC Board has no role in contracts approval process as advised by BPP.

The above clarifications of the provisions of the procurement process show that approvals reside within the NTB and where thresholds are exceeded, the NNPC refers to FEC for approval. Therefore, the NNPC Board has no role in contracts approval process as advised by BPP.

As can be seen, all these clarifications were sought and obtained prior to August, 2015 and were implemented by Dr. Kachikwu as the GMD of NNPC. Dr. Kachikwu also constituted the first NNPC Tenders Board on 8th September, 2015 and continued to chair it until his exit in June, 2016.

NNPC, Abuja.

October 9, 2017.

http://www.nnpcgroup.com/PublicRelations/NNPCinthenews/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/860/Re-Allegations-of-Lack-of-Adherence-to-Due-Process-in-NNPC-Contract-Awards.aspx

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/245496-breaking-nnpc-scandal-group-managing-director-baru-breaks-silence.html

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Yusman316(m): 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
faceURfront:

That my friend is a lie.

GEJ asked Sanusi, NOI, Deziani and their teams to sit down together and get to the bottom of the allegation of missing the 49billion dollars raised by Sanusi. He was only sacked after he came up with a different figure after that meeting and it became obvious he wanted to play to the gallery for political gains.

We all saw how it panned out. Did any of the subsequent audits validate any of his claims? NO!
What political gains? Was he contesting for any political post or office at the time? For ur info GEJ asked for a sham nnpc audit after so much pressure from Nigerians. Which claimed only $1b was not remitted to cental bank of Nigeria. When a new government came in place and found out the money not remtted was more than $1b. NNPC claimed the money was actually used for maintainance and other things

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by EruditorII: 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

There was nothing bigoted about my post. If you chose to read it that way, it means you have a problem. Can't help you with that. You still need to think deeply. You were the first to allege that I should cringe and think deeply in your first post to me. I merely asked you to follow your own advice. Kachikwu constituted the tenders board and chaired it as GMD until he left the position in 2016. Suddenly, it is now wrong for Baru to chair the same tenders board as GMD and award contracts just as Kachikwu did, using the tenders board when he was GMD NNPC? Very funny.

Hello Mynd44, your attention is still needed to sanction this poster called Eruditor for breaching rule 2 again. He used the phrase 'godforsaken life' in an attempt to bully, provoke and insult a Nairalander. Thanks.

You can't knock a good man down.

Kachikwu did not constitute the NTB. He simply submitted the issue to the BPP for clarification which they did. Recall, he did that in his capacity as Minister of state and NNPC GMD. So yea, when he was chairing the NTB he was also doing so as a Minister - not just as the GMD.

It is not wrong for Baru to chair the NTB. It is however wrong for him to pretend he is following the letter of the law by sidelining the Minister and then going around to seek approval from the President. That is one.

The rest of your rejoinder is you merely regurgitating Baru's half measures at covering his gaffe.

1. If NTB approve contracts without the state minister then no rule allows them to seek presidential approval except eye service.

2. In the situation that the FEC approved of the contract - who tabled it before them?

3. Kachikwu's approval was sought after and he turned around to say he was not consulted? How can we reconcile that Einstein?

4. Yes, BPP claimed the NNPC board is different from the NNPC Tenders board (NTB). The issue is the NTB constitutes of the GMD and the GEDs, so they only call the shots with no oversight from anyone. Authorities unto themselves! Judge and Jury all in one - it is cringeworthy.

So they are not saying anything new. The NTB should have constituted the Minister, Perm sec etc as well as the GMD and GEDs. Since Dr. Ibe was occupying both Minister and GMD, it did not matter that the BPP claimed only the GMD should be part of the team at the time. And Baru knows that having been a GED in the past. Deziani's approval was sought after when she was the Minister and please don't try to discriminate between Substantial and State. I have just shown you that BPP did not mention either of the two.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Yusman316(m): 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
So to all the people claiming $26b was stolen, what says thy now? Always get all the facts before pointing accusing fingers. I'm not saying the GMD is right in all entirety, but i don't think money was stolen or misappropriated

4 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by CeterisXVII: 7:52pm On Oct 09, 2017
EruditorII:
You can't knock a good man down.

Kachikwu did not constitute the NTB. He simply submitted the issue to the BPP for clarification which they did. Recall, he did that in his capacity as Minister of state and NNPC GMD. So yea, when he was chairing the NTB he was also doing so as a Minister - not just as the GMD.

It is not wrong for Baru to chair the NTB. It is however wrong for him to pretend he is following the letter of the law by sidelining the Minister and then going around to seek approval from the President. That is one.

The rest of your rejoinder is you merely regurgitating Baru's half measures at covering his gaffe.

1. If NTB approve contracts without the state minister then no rule allows them to seek presidential approval except eye service.

2. In the situation that the FEC approved of the contract - who tabled it before them?

3. Kachikwu's approval was sought after and he turned around to say he was not consulted? How can we reconcile that Einstein?

4. Yes, BPP claimed the NNPC board is different from the NNPC Tenders board (NTB). The issue is the NTB constitutes of the GMD and the GEDs, so they only call the shots with no oversight from anyone. Authorities unto themselves! Judge and Jury all in one - it is cringeworthy.

So they are not saying anything new. The NTB should have constituted the Minister, Perm sec etc as well as the GMD and GEDs. Since Dr. Ibe was occupying both Minister and GMD, it did not matter that the BPP claimed only the GMD should be part of the team at the time. And Baru knows that having been a GED in the past. Deziani's approval was sought after when she was the Minister and please don't try to discriminate between Substantial and State. I have just shown you that BPP did not mention either of the two.

Has Kachikwu come up to say he did not constitute the Tenders board and he did not chair it as GMD NNPC??! shocked The BPP referred to the SGF Circular and advised NNPC on those who should be members of the Tenders Board, and NNPC as headed by Kachikwu at that time followed their lead. Baru continued from where Kachikwu stopped. He did not reconstitute the Tenders board set up by Kachikwu. As there was nothing to suggest he did so. Baru continued to use the Tenders Board to implement approved contracts, just as Kachikwu had done. If the board should have included the perm sec etc., why did Kachikwu not include them when he was setting up the Tenders board? You are just trying to defend Kachikwu who has goofed. Period. Let Kachikwu come out to say he did not constitute the tenders board in its' present form, and Baru was lying. sad For Baru to say Kachikwu was aware of the contracts, there must have been something in writing to support that assertion.

Kachikwu was never both Minister and GMD initially. He was just GMD NNPC. undecided Kachikwu later became Minister of State a few months later. Buhari has always been the Petroleum Minister. He never relinquished the post. Nothing in the NNPC Act recognises the role of Minister of State. For you to say he was both GMD and Minister, means that you cannot see anything wrong in him holding both offices, even though there is a likelihood that he could have abused the powers he had.

5 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by 989900: 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Oh, I love this. cool The facts are beginning to emerge. Wind don blow, fowl nyash don open. We are eagerly awaiting Kachikwu's response to Baru's new comments. Oya, make una start part 2!

Kachikwu said Baru was awarding contracts anyhow, and he didn't know anything about those contracts. undecided

Baru has replied Kachikwu that most of the commercial transactions you call 'contracts' and you think needed to be routed through you, were actually not contracts. So they are actually none of your business. Secondly, approval for the ones that were contracts whose sum were above a certain level, could come (and even came, in some cases) from the FEC or directly from the Petroleum Minister/President. Thirdly, you Kachikwu were well aware of those large sum contracts even at FEC level, since you are a member of FEC, so how can you turn round to say you now know nothing about them?

Oya, let Kachikwu respond. Part 2 of this drama promises to be sweet! cheesy

Nice summary.

4 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by EruditorII: 8:04pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Has Kachikwu come up to say he did not constitute the Tenders board and he did not chair it as GMD NNPC??! The BPP referred to the SGF Circular and advised NNPC on those who should be members of the Tenders Board, and NNPC as headed by Kachikwu at that time followed their lead. Baru continued from where Kachikwu stopped. He did not reconstitute the Tenders board set up by Kachikwu. As there was nothing to suggest he did so. he continued to use the Tenders Board to implement approved contracts, just as Kachikwu had done. If the board should have included the perm sec etc., why did Kachikwu not include them when he was setting up the Tenders board? You are just trying to defend Kachikwu who has goofed. Period.

You don't know if the Perm sec was not in those NTB meetings at the time. Also, Kachikwu was the acting minister so we would never know if the minister would have been part of that board. What that means is as long as Kachikwu held those 2 positions - the Minister (state) and GMD constituted that board.

Therefore, to sideline Kachikwu under the pretexts of following after what transpired before Baru's tenure is simply daft and mischievous on his part. Afterall, when Kachikwu was approving contracts as you put it we can conclude that vicariously the Minister (State) and GMD were present through him.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by CeterisXVII: 8:10pm On Oct 09, 2017
EruditorII:
You don't know if the Perm sec was not in those NTB meetings at the time. Also, Kachikwu was the acting minister so we would never know if the minister would have been part of that board. What that means is as long as Kachikwu held those 2 positions - the Minister (state) and GMD constituted that board.

Therefore, to sideline Kachikwu under the pretexts of following after what transpired before Baru's tenure is simply daft and mischievous on his part. Afterall, when Kachikwu was approving contracts as you put it we can conclude that vicariously the Minister (State) and GMD were present through him.

Where is the proof that the Perm Sec and others were members of the Tenders Board at that time??! Where? And Kachikwu set up the Tenders board using the same composition that the BPP had advised. It was not wrong at that time, right? But it suddenly became wrong after Kachikwu stopped being GMD and Baru took over.

3 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by EruditorII: 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Kachikwu was never both Minister and GMD. He was just GMD NNPC. undecided Kachikwu later became Minister of State. Buhari has always been the Petroleum Minister. He never relinquished the post. Nothing in the NNPC Act recognises the role of Minister of State. For you to say he was both GMD and Minister, means that you cannot see anything wrong in him holding both offices, even though there is a likelihood that he could have abused the powers he had.

Buhari being the minister is nomenclature. He was never involved in the day to day runnings of NNPC- Kachikwu was and YES he occupied both positions before Baru was announced as the NNPC GMD.

Whether it was wrong or right to hold both positions at the time is immaterial now because the gist then was that there was always a subtle rift between the Minister and the NNPC GMD and PMB attempted to rectify that by bridging both positions.

Obviously, he later received contrary advice and appointed Baru NNPC GMD which many felt whittled down Kachikwu's influence in the sector but PMB refuted it and claimed he had vested all his powers to Kachikwu. Which is why Baru's acts of insubordination did not go unnoticed.

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by EruditorII: 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Where is the proof that the Perm Sec and others were members of the Tenders Board at that time??! Where? And Kachikwu set up the Tenders board using the same composition that the BPP had advised. It was not wrong at that time, right? But it suddenly became wrong after Kachikwu stopped being GMD and Baru took over.

The proof is even in Baru's rejoinder. The board constituted of the Minister, Perm Sec, Chairman (listed twice), members etc. This aspect was taken to the BPP for clarification to which they said the NTB should pertain to only the GMD as chairman and his GEDs as members. Now I am telling you that even as this clarification made no sense, Kachikwu could still work with it because he was also the acting minister and NNPC GMD rolled up in one.

But the moment he was appointed State minister and head of the NNPC board it was wrong in the very tenets of common sense for Baru to sideline him in the runnings of the sector or corporation and pick and choose when to involve him. After all, that same NTB as constituted by "Kachikwu" and clarified by BPP did not include even PMB so Baru had no business (save mischief) in getting some approvals from him.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
SaintMorris:
Uncle Baru, you thief or you no thief?....We no wan hear long long English abeg
He did not thief, kachikwu was only angry that he has been side line in the affairs of nnpc, buhari gv him to much power b4, by making him gmd, group chairman and minister of state. But now he's just minister of state and doesn't have much control as b4, so I guess he's angry hence he made up those allegations.
I still blame buhari tho, he should have just made kachikwu minister and all this wouldn't have happened.

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by murtalaa(m): 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2017
With this detailed explanation from NNPC, it is safe to conclude that Kachikwu was only throwing fits and tantrums like a jealous child. He should know the limit of his power or quit to join his brother, Kanu. Perhaps he could be made GMD of radio biafra if Kanu fancies him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by udemzyudex(m): 9:03pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:
I must confess, this is a well detailed and packaged sound response quoting facts and figures with events and present underlying conditions.

As it is always said, there is always the second and third story to every issue, and its not the first to break the silence that is justified.

I like the role the presidency played against pressure to act without giving the opportunity to the other party to respond, this shows maturity against when GEJ sacked sanusi without investigating.

So the next thing is for an independent body to look into these weighty allegations and give recommendations to be acted and implemented.

In addition.

The way NNPC is structured now from what I read, it will be difficult for one person like Diezani to take absolutely decision & control of major contract unlike before.

Some one is annoyed that he doesn't have absolute power and influence in taking control as he personally wanted, but the man should understand what the act says and stipulates. I believe the act is the best for the industry.

Mtcheew.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by CeterisXVII: 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2017
EruditorII:
The proof is even in Baru's rejoinder. The board constituted of the Minister, Perm Sec, Chairman (listed twice), members etc. This aspect was taken to the BPP for clarification to which they said the NTB should pertain to only the GMD as chairman and his GEDs as members. Now I am telling you that even as this clarification made no sense, Kachikwu could still work with it because he was also the acting minister and NNPC GMD rolled up in one.

But the moment he was appointed State minister and head of the NNPC board it was wrong in the very tenets of common sense for Baru to sideline him in the runnings of the sector or corporation and pick and choose when to involve him. After all, that same NTB as constituted by "Kachikwu" and clarified by BPP did not include even PMB so Baru had no business (save mischief) in getting some approvals from him.
You are still trying to rewrite the whole thing to fit your script. Kachikwu did not constitute the Tenders board as advised in the SGF Circular, he constituted it as advised by BPP. sad There is no regulation that says Kachikwu's position as Minister of State gave him the right to adopt the BBP's advice, and do away with the Perm Sec in the Tenders Board. There is no evidence to suggest that he followed the SGF guidelines, and included all the following people listed below. He only included the GMD and GEDs:

Ministry
Chairman
Permanent Secretary
Members
Heads of Departments
Parastatals
Chairman
Chief Executive
Members
Heads of Departments

Even if he was Minister of State (not substantive Petroleum Minister, as that post was and is still held by Buhari), why didn't he include the Perm sec, and a rep of the Petroleum Ministry? Did the fact that he was Minister of State (a position not even recognised by the NNPC Act), negate the need for the Perm Sec to be in attendance? The Heads of Depts were already represented by the GEDs, and the MDs of the NNPC parastatals/subsidiaries. But Kachikwu saw nothing wrong with it.

After Kachikwu relinquished the position of GMD NNPC, he was Chairman of NNPC Board and could no longer preside over the Tenders Board, as the Chairman of the Tenders board was meant to be the preserve of the GMD NNPC who was Baru. The same Tenders Board that Kachikwu set up and used to approve or implement contracts, is the same one Baru used to implement contracts and receive approval, yet Kachikwu is claiming Baru was at fault for doing so. It is just a case of sour grapes from Kachikwu's side. undecided It has been explained quite clearly the kind of projects or contracts that could be passed through the NNPC Board, and the ones that had to go through the Tenders board. The NNPC governing board is quite different from the Tenders board. In fact making Kachikwu both GMD NNPC and Minister of State, was a blunder as too many things were concentrated in one man's hands. What checks and balances were in place when Kachikwu held both roles? Yet, nobody complained at that time. sad

Kachikwu is just piqued that he lost the powers of awarding contracts that he used to have as GMD NNPC, and so he is trying to take out his frustrations on Baru. It is clear that Kachikwu is a member of FEC, so how can he also claim ignorance of the contracts that were approved by FEC? Why is Kachikwu claiming he was sidelined? Baru says explicitly that Kachikwu knew about these contracts.
Furthermore, contrary to the assertion of Dr. Kachikwu that he was never involved in the 2017/2018 contracting process for the Crude Oil Term Contracts, Dr. Kachikwu was in fact expressly consulted by the GMD and his recommendations were taken into account in following through the laid down procedure. Thus, for him to turn around and claim that “…these major contracts were never reviewed or discussed with me…” is most unfortunate to say the least.

Baru also had every right to get approval from Buhari, as Buhari was (and still is) the Petroleum Minister, and under the NNPC Act, there is clear provision for getting approval from the Petroleum Minister.
What is required is the processing and approval of contracts by the NNPC Tenders Board, the President in his executive capacity or as Minister of Petroleum, or the Federal Executive Council (FEC), as the case may be. There are therefore situations where all that is required is the approval of the NNPC Tenders Board while, in other cases, based on the threshold, the award must be submitted for presidential approval. Likewise, in some instances it is FEC approval that is required.
I am waiting for Kachikwu to come out after this rejoinder and say Baru was lying, or that all what he said was wrong. Until then, everyone else should wait and watch.

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Kbanka: 9:30pm On Oct 09, 2017
Issa knockout

Baru 1
Kachikwu 0

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by maxbarry(m): 9:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
North vs south.....these case is goin no where because it is a southern make d ....
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Vivere: 11:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
murtalaa:
With this detailed explanation from NNPC, it is safe to conclude that Kachikwu was only throwing fits and tantrums like a jealous child. He should know the limit of his power or quit to join his brother, Kanu. Perhaps he could be made GMD of radio biafra if Kanu fancies him.

I think i agree with you on this. Was Baru lying? I don't think so. I believe that after he lost the job of GMD NNPC and the powers that went with it, Kachikwu felt he was left out of the loop. He didn't realise that the role of GMD NNPC carried more clout than he expected. Let us face it, the Minister of State has no duties or powers except the ones given to him by the substantive Minister, who happens to be Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 10, 2017
Yusman316:

[s]What political gains? Was he contesting for any political post or office at the time? For ur info GEJ asked for a sham nnpc audit after so much pressure from Nigerians. Which claimed only $1b was not remitted to cental bank of Nigeria. When a new government came in place and found out the money not remtted was more than $1b. NNPC claimed the money was actually used for maintainance and other things[/s]

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by bigfish3k: 8:47am On Oct 10, 2017
CeterisXVII:

Whether it took Baru 1 day, 1 week or 1 month to come up with a response is not the issue. sad The main issue is "did his response address the issues raised against him in Kachikwu's memo?" My submission is that it did, and those responses even made Kachikwu end up with egg on his face. Even the explanation Baru gave shows how each step was followed, as well as how the financing and approvals for the contracts were obtained. If Kachikwu had gone through the processes deployed in awarding each contract and found flaws in them, he would have had a better case. Kachikwu needs to manage his staff better, and drop his ego.

Afterall, the things Baru did as GMD NNPC, were the same things Kachikwu did when he was also GMD. The same way contracts were approved at GMD level, was the same way it was done when Kachikwu was still GMD NNPC. The same powers Kachikwu had as GMD NNPC when he was still there, are the same powers Baru has now chosen to exercise, in his new role as GMD. If you notice, most of the approvals came from Buhari in his capacity as substantive Petroleum Minister, President and Head of FEC. Kachikwu ironically was part of the same FEC that approved some of those contracts, so how can he now turn round to say he knows nothing about it?

After becoming Minister of State, Kachikwu felt some of his powers had been taken away, and so he drafted that memo. The truth is that the NNPC Act does not grant any substantial powers to the Minister-Of-State. And that is what now needs to be addressed. Please learn to be more polite, when engaging others. There was absolutely no need to use the word 'trash!'

whether kachikwu has power or not, he has revealed a corruption avenue, how can just two people GMD and the minister be awarding such whoping amount without passing thru a board, and u think its normal, restructure this country jare
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Vivere: 9:33am On Oct 10, 2017
murtalaa:
You are so very right. Take, I dash you this cold bottle of malt. You deserve it. cheesy
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Vivere: 9:41am On Oct 10, 2017
bigfish3k:

whether kachikwu has power or not, he has revealed a corruption avenue, how can just two people GMD and the minister be awarding such whoping amount without passing thru a board, and u think its normal, restructure this country jare
You obviously did not read the whole NNPC rejoinder issued by Baru. The law or NNPC act does not make provision for a Minister of State to interfere in the daily activities of the corporation. It also gives the GMD powers to get approval directly from the Petroleum Minister ie Buhari. As long as everything is routed through tenders board chaired by the GMD, he is in order. Kachikwu was the one who set up that tenders board and he used the same structure to get contracts approved when he was still GMD of NNPC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kingsley Chinda Emerges Minority Leader, House Of Representatives / SARS Officer Smoking In Port-Harcourt During Election While On Duty. Photos / Ortom: Army Intercepted Gana Terwase Akwaza On His Way To Surrender

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.