Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics (1637 Views)

CUPP: Reps Offered $10 Million Bribe For Passage Of Vaccination Bill / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Participates In Vaccination In Laos, Cuddles Kids (Photos) / Pandemonium In Port Harcourt Over Vaccination In Rumuapara (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Mcowubaba: 10:38am On Oct 12, 2017
I will try and be brief as possible, I just want to bring to the knowledge of my fellow Nigerians, about this recent issue about Children running away from the Military, though I am an Igbo man, but I will try to be unbiased as possible.

I am writing this based on my personal experience and academic background in Health and Medical practice, now the issue of Immunization/Vaccination is a very serious issue, a great deal of training and knowledge is required to administer a Vaccine to a patient or to even design the program.
I have been involved directly with WHO,FHI 360, Ministry of Health both Federal, State and Primary health centers {this is not bragging, I am just saying this, so you guys will know I am talking based on strong Empirical knowledge}

In Nigeria, to the best of my knowledge, Immunization Programs is 'mostly' coordinated by the Federal Ministry of Health, NOT any Medical council or group of Doctors, you will be shocked to know that Doctors don't really have much to do with immunization on a normal day (but here in Nigeria, our dear Doctors don't stay on their lane, the want to be involved in everything that has to do with health wink the will soon start doing X-rays I no talk oo), a medical Doctor is trained to CURE, TREAT/MANAGE Illness and sickness, while Vaccination/immunization is a branch of medicine which focuses on PREVENTING/PREVENTION of diseases.

Curing and Preventing disease are two different things, The field of medicine that has to do with Preventing disease (Vaccination), intervention are Public Health, Epidemiology, medical laboratory scientist, Microbiologist, Biochemistry, parasitology,etc.
Though Medical doctors are also slightly involved, because in the field of Medicine, everybody is involved

I just said, I should give a brief background about people responsible for vaccination so you people can have a better view about this. Now before you start vaccination, there must be mass media awareness detailing your program, target population and the benefits of your program/expected results.

A lot of advocacy visits has to be done with Community leaders, Religious leaders, Parents, Teachers (depending on your target population),
Even after this, you MUST seek consent of the Parents /guardian, before administering any drug, vaccine to a child below 18 years, unless in EMERGENCY situations, now the Operation Python dance II was more or less a Violent exercise, it did not go as planned (though we never knew the army's original plan wink), but let us assume the never intended to go into any altercations with the Indigenous People of Biafra, it still started off in chaos, which overshadowed the goodwill of the program, I am not here to apportion blames on either the Military or IPOB, let's leave that aside.

Now the perception an average South East resident has of the Operation Python dance by the Nigerian Military, is that the are/were fighting IPOB members. Not that the are doing medical exercise undecided
Remember it was this exercise that made the Federal Government label IPOB as a terrorist group like ISIS grin..

So, you cannot finish all this and start coming to primary schools without parents consent or media awareness, to start administering Vaccines, Come on naaa undecided undecided, in a tensed up region lipsrsealed

This is not about Brain washing or Gullibility, let me tell you my personal experience, many years ago, I supervised a Team of health workers who were administering OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine), the had issues with non-compliance, even after all the Mass media awareness/campaigns and advocacy visits we did, during the program, when the health workers went to seek the parent's consent, some bluntly refused, we had to employ the use of incentives, even at that, few Parents still refused, THIS was in the SOUTHERN part of Nigeria NOT the northern part, it was not tensed up, it was done by bloody civilians like me cool , I cannot give more details due to confidentiality and ethical consideration.

In immunization programs there are key indicators which are used to monitor the overall effectiveness of the program, the are
R-Re-visit
RX-non-compliance
N- Non eligible
then good symbol, which denotes there was total compliance
there are other indicators, but let me leave it at this..
There is a reason why RX is among the indicators, because it is expected that you see Non-compliance to the program

I believe Nigerian Military made a great mistake in going to schools or anywhere in the South East to start any vaccination or medical program without serious media awareness, advocacy visit.

lalasticlala
Seun

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by KingsCity: 10:41am On Oct 12, 2017
It's absolute madness for anyone to just go to a school and begin to give children immunization without even knowing their medical or immunization history

3 Likes

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Vivere: 10:45am On Oct 12, 2017
Mcowubaba:
I will try and be brief as possible, |I just want to bring to the knowledge of my fellow Nigerians, about this recent issue about Children running away from the Military, though I am an Igbo man, but I will try to be unbiased as possible.

I am writing this based on my personal experience and academic background in Health and Medical practice, now the issue of Immunization/Vaccination is a very serious issue, a great deal of training and knowledge is required to administer a Vaccine to a patient or to even design the program.
I have been involved directly with WHO,FHI 360, Ministry of Health both Federal, State and Primary health centers {this is not bragging, I am just saying this, so you guys will know I am talking based on strong Empirical knowledge}

In Nigeria, to the best of my knowledge, Immunization Programs is 'mostly' coordinated by the Federal Ministry of Health, NOT any Medical council or group of Doctors, you will be shocked to know that Doctors don't really have much to do with immunization on a normal day (but here in Nigeria, our dear Doctors don't stay on their lane, the want to be involved in everything that has to do with health wink the will soon start doing X-rays I no talk oo), a medical Doctor is trained to CURE, TREAT/MANAGE Illness and sickness, while Vaccination/immunization is a branch of medicine which focuses on PREVENTING/PREVENTION of diseases.

Curing and Preventing disease are two different things, The field of medicine that has to do with Preventing disease (Vaccination), intervention are Public Health, Epidemiology, medical laboratory scientist, Microbiologist, Biochemistry, parasitology,etc.
Though Medical doctors are also slightly involved, because in the field of Medicine, everybody is involved

I just said, I should give a brief background about people responsible for vaccination so you people can have a better view about this. Now before you start vaccination, there must be mass media awareness detailing your program, target population and the benefits of your program/expected results.

A lot of advocacy visits has to be done with Community leaders, Religious leaders, Parents, Teachers (depending on your target population),
Even after this, you MUST seek consent of the Parents /guardian, before administering any drug, vaccine to a child below 18 years, unless in EMERGENCY situations, now the Operation Python dance II was more or less a Violent exercise, it did not go as planned (though we never knew the army's original plan wink), but let us assume the never intended to go into any altercations with the Indigenous People of Biafra, it still started off in chaos, which overshadowed the goodwill of the program, I am not here to apportion blames on either the Military or IPOB, let's leave that aside.

Now the perception an average South East resident has of the Operation Python dance by the Nigerian Military, is that the are/were fighting IPOB members. Not that the are doing medical exercise undecided
Remember it was this exercise that made the Federal Government label IPOB as a terrorist group like ISIS grin..

So, you cannot finish all this and start coming to primary schools without parents consent or media awareness, to start administering Vaccines Come on naaa undecided undecided, in a tensed up region lipsrsealed

This is not about Brain washing or Gullibility, let me tell you my personal experience, many years ago, I supervised a Team of health workers who were administering OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine), the had issues with non-compliance, even after all the Mass media awareness/campaigns and advocacy visits we did, during the program, when the health workers went to seek the parent's consent, some bluntly refused, we had to employ the use of incentives, even at that, few Parents still refused, THIS was in the SOUTHERN part of Nigeria NOT the northern part, it was tensed up, it was done by bloody civilians like me cool , I cannot give more details due to confidentiality and ethical consideration.

In immunization programs there are key indicators which are used to monitor the overall effectiveness of the program, the are
R-Re-visit
RX-non-compliance
N- Non eligible

I believe Nigerian Military made a great mistake in going to schools or anywhere in the South East to start any vaccination or medical program without serious media awareness, advocacy visit.

lalasticlala
Thank you! This is the most sensible post I have read on this topic for a long time. Too much hysteria and propaganda has littered the social media space, concerning this issue.

2 Likes

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Tapout(m): 11:17am On Oct 12, 2017
sometimes I wonder who gives these insane orders sad how can the military Come to the Southeast less than a month after python tweak and start giving Vaccination and expect people not to panic.. No awareness, they just woke up and decided to start giving Vaccination, really sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by SunFlow(m): 11:20am On Oct 12, 2017
I tire oo oo. no sensitization, why won't the masses be scared considering their excellent relationship between SE and Military

1 Like

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Oilwell(m): 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2017
Op thank you for this post
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by lastmessenger: 3:49pm On Oct 12, 2017
We need more knowledgeable people like this to enlighten the populace so that we all can stop living in the dark.
No matter how good the army intention may have been,such good have been defeated in the minds of the people in the south east. This is simple wisdom,that you can't unleash violence on a people and turn around to give them immunization and expect compliance from them.
Let's build a better Nigeria for all of us.we should all be treated equally. This issues rising up from BH to ND militant to ipob are all signs of a failed government. I believe no sane person will want to leave Nigeria to form another. Tell Buhari that there is nothing like Fulani supremecy in Nigeria. We all own this country. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 12, 2017
Vivere and oladeebo will not like this

Mcowubaba:
I will try and be brief as possible, I just want to bring to the knowledge of my fellow Nigerians, about this recent issue about Children running away from the Military, though I am an Igbo man, but I will try to be unbiased as possible.

So, you cannot finish all this and start coming to primary schools without parents consent or media awareness, to start administering Vaccines, Come on naaa undecided undecided, in a tensed up region lipsrsealed

This is not about Brain washing or Gullibility, let me tell you my personal experience, many years ago, I supervised a Team of health workers who were administering OPV (Oral Polio Vaccine), the had issues with non-compliance, even after all the Mass media awareness/campaigns and advocacy visits we did, during the program, when the health workers went to seek the parent's consent, some bluntly refused, we had to employ the use of incentives, even at that, few Parents still refused, THIS was in the SOUTHERN part of Nigeria NOT the northern part, it was not tensed up, it was done by bloody civilians like me cool , I cannot give more details due to confidentiality and ethical consideration.

R-Re-visit
RX-non-compliance
N- Non eligible
There is a reason why RX is among the indicators, because it is expected that you see Non-compliance to the program

lalasticlala
Seun

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Vivere: 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
giftq:
Vivere and oladeebo will not like this

Why do you like spreading lies, do you get a kick out of it? Read the truth here :
http://punchng.com/free-medical-outreach-residents-accuse-army-of-plotting-to-depopulate-south-east/

The Nigerian Army has urged the public to disregard rumours that its ongoing free medical outreach, especially in the South-East, was aimed at de-populating the zone.

Col. Sagir Musa, Deputy Director, Public Relations, 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, made the call in a statement issued in Enugu on Wednesday.

Musa said that the free medical outreach was not a vaccine intended to infect monkey pox or any major contemporary or emerging diseases to the people of the zone or any part of the country.

He described as `silly and mischievous’ publications trending on the social media alleging that the ongoing free medical services giving to some communities in the zone was with a sinister motive of depopulating the region through the so-called `monkey pox vaccination’.

“The exercise is part of the corporate social responsibility initiatives imbued in to the overall Exercise EGWU EKE 11 package to the people of the South Eastern Region which is the area of responsibility of the 82 Division.

“Instructively, the free medical services in the region started on Sept. 18, 2017 in Nkwoagu community of Abakaliki Local Government Area of Ebonyi State.

“At the event, the Deputy Governor of Ebonyi State, the Chairman of the Local Government and some traditional rulers of the benefiting community were there at the launching of the exercise by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai,’’ he said.

Other areas where the programme was conducted were Ovim in Isikwuato Local Government Area of Abia; Mbaise in Imo ; Oji River in Enugu and now Ozubulu in Anambra.

“In all the mentioned areas, there has not been any recorded incident or complaint of any kind arising from the noble humanitarian gesture of the Nigerian Army.

“Hence, the wicked, ill motivated rumour is the handiwork of unpatriotic elements who can go to any length to discredit the noble services of the army in the region, in which at the moment they will not succeed,’’ Musa said.

The spokesperson thanked the people of Ozubulu in Ekwusigo Local Government, including the chairman, Mr Ofademe Ikenna, and the Commissioner for Health, Dr Akabuike, who graced the occasion.

Musa also thanked the National Coordinator of Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme in the state for its support during the medical outreach.

Meanwhile, schools across the zone had shut down following rumours of death in the medical outreach.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that parents were seen taking their children in primary and secondary schools in Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo.
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/10/11/nigerian-army-dispels-rumors-harmful-medical-outreach-south-east/
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
Vivere:

Why do you like spreading lies, do you get a kick out of it?
which lie did i spread now
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by IJOBA2: 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
OP OLADEEBO AND HIS YORUBA MUSLIM BRETHREN WILL KILL YOU TODAY
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by joyandfaith: 4:44pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mcowubaba:

R-Re-visit
RX-non-compliance
N- Non eligible

lalasticlala
Seun

nice op.
you may also like this

http://www.medicalcareers.ie/public-health-medicine/
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by eodavids(m): 4:46pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mcowubaba:

R-Re-visit
RX-non-compliance
N- Non eligible

lalasticlala
Seun

My little question is:
Is it that the federal government so much loves the Southeastern people or is it the NA that have come to solve a medical problem for the southeast people?

Come to think of it, to give Igbos what has not been given to northerners looks like a preferential treatment.

But wait: which epidemic is ravaging southeast that NA/fed.govt. is vaccinating against?

2 Likes

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by AlfaWaleFatai: 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
omenka come and read and free your brain from hate and bigotry
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 12, 2017
AlfaWaleFatai:
omenka come and read and free your brain from hate and bigotry
Omenka and Vivere are the same: they seek any reason to support Igbo-phobia, hatred and genocide.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by AlfaWaleFatai: 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2017
giftq:

Omenka and Vivere are the same: they seek any reason to support Igbo-phobia, hatred and genocide.
omenka is my boy
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 12, 2017
AlfaWaleFatai:
omenka is my boy
Yes, we know that omenka is a boy grin grin
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Vivere: 4:53pm On Oct 12, 2017
giftq:

Now you have lost it! In what fvking way do I resemble Omenka?? How?? Didn't I tell you earlier that you have built a reputation of telling lies on NL?? This is proof of it! Rubbish!
Anyone who doesn't support your lies and deceit is exhibiting Igbophobia in your twisted mind. Continue....
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by ofai: 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2017
tdarkside yyeske sarrki oladeebo and other minions will evade this thread. Senseless zombies.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2017
Vivere:

Now you have lost it! In what fvking way do I resemble Omenka?? How?? Didn't I tell you earlier that you have built a reputation of telling lies on NL?? This is proof of it! Rubbish!
You are yet to produce ONE lie that I told on Nairaland
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by AlfaWaleFatai: 4:56pm On Oct 12, 2017
giftq:

Yes, we know that omenka is a boy grin grin
grin
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Vivere: 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2017
giftq:

You are yet to produce ONE lie that I told on Nairaland
Don't worry I will do so soon, definitely. I hope you would be able to survive the shame when you are exposed.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
Vivere:

Don't worry I will do so soon, definitely. I hope you would be able to survive the shame when you are exposed.
Bring it on.
Igbo amaka grin grin
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by pauljumbo: 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mynd44 I think Nigerians need to read a health care professional view on this matter.

1 Like

Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Amarabae(f): 5:14pm On Oct 12, 2017
Nice postulation. The military goofed, its against medical ethics. Kudos Op.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by babyfaceafrica: 5:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
Is that all?
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by pezest: 5:36pm On Oct 12, 2017
As shared by a Facebook user

A pack of the supposed vaccine which the Nigerian army is presently administering to school pupils in Anambra state was covertly taken away from them yesterday.

According to the report, a quick test was run to ascertain the true content of the vaccine and what they found was shocking.

The so-called vaccine is a scientifically synthesized chemical, made of lead, Methylmercury, Arsenic, Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB), Toluene, Fluoride and Manganese.

While these chemicals are not known to cause instant death, they have the properties that can permanently alter a child's IQ, depleting it by as high as 60% or even destroying it completely.

Lead – This is one of the most extensively researched compounds in terms of neurodevelopment, and has been consistently linked to serious deficits, including low IQ. Its effects seem to be permanent, leading to the conclusion that there is no safe level of exposure.

Methylmercury – Affecting the neurological development of the fetus, exposure often comes from maternal intake of fish containing high levels of mercury, according to the World Health Organization and the EPA.

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) – This family of chemicals has routinely been associated with reduced cognitive function in infancy and childhood. It is often present in foods, particularly fish, and can be passed along in breast milk.

Arsenic – When absorbed through drinking water, this chemical has been linked to reduced cognitive function in school children. Follow-up studies from the Morinaga milk poisoning incident have linked it to neurological disease in adulthood.

Toluene – Used as a solvent, maternal exposure has been linked to brain development problems and attention deficit in the child, according to the EPA and OSHA .

Manganese – In the drinking water in Bangladesh, for example, this chemical has been linked to lower scores in math, diminished intellectual function, and ADHD.

Fluoride – Higher levels of this chemical has been connected with a 7-point decrease in IQ in children.

If Anambra people continue taking these chemicals, they will never come close to first position in national school exams again. They will begin to score below Adamawa and Katsina in common entrance and waec exams.

Do you still wonder why the Nigerian army is so furtive about the whole exercise?

Do you wonder why they will never carry the state government or local authorities along?
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by BrutalJab: 5:42pm On Oct 12, 2017
Simple! You can't kill them and also vaccinate their wards without the parents consent.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by oladeebo: 8:41pm On Oct 12, 2017
ofai:
tdarkside yyeske sarrki oladeebo and other minions will evade this thread. Senseless zombies.
you people have been your own enemy from time immemorial, by the time there will be any epidemics you won't see any Uk based doctor at your help but Nigeria government you hate, what you people known about the medication?
If the government has taken to that level in this world, you people feel you were free. ok stop attending anything about the government to be secure!
if not because of federal government of Nigeria, your would have eaten yourself finish!
continue in your delutional
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by ofai: 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
oladeebo:

you people have been your own enemy from time immemorial, by the time there will be any epidemics you won't see any Uk based doctor at your help but Nigeria government you hate, what you people known about the medication?
If the government has taken to that level in this world, you people feel you were free. ok stop attending anything about the government to be secure!
if not because of federal government of Nigeria, your would have eaten yourself finish!
continue in your delutional

So bayelsa is now southeast? But when its time for oil, it will now be south south right? Ediot.
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Yyeske(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2017
OP, simply tell us where the said vaccination or immunization was carried out, when and on who?
Re: Army Vaccination In South East: Medical Perspective And Ethics by Yyeske(m): 9:06pm On Oct 12, 2017
ofai:
Can you tell us which schools, hospitals or churches the rumoured vaccination took place and by whom?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Terrorists Plotting To Bomb Abuja. U.S And U.K Warns / Atiku's Wife All Smiles As She Receives Customized Perfume In Abuja. Photos / 2019: Asiwaju Tinubu Cannot Do Magic Because … -timi Frank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.