Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,532 members, 7,954,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:56 PM

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist (23676 Views)

1st Birthday Of Nathaniel, Faith And Prince Godswill Edward Celebrate Son / Obasanjo & Goodluck Jonathan At 85th Birthday Of Gabriel Igbinedion Thanksgiving / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 17, 2017
Amarabae:
the same nothing people will continue to dominate you economically in your backyard,
chinedu will continue to buy up your ancestral lands and ebuka will continue to be your landlord.
The truth is bitter, kiss it
Plus Igbo people in Lagos House of Reps grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 7:23am On Oct 17, 2017
Oluadah Equiano claimed in his book that his people and their land were the subjects of the great Oba of Benin in his book. So those arguing he was an Igbo man should tell us whether the entire Igbo land was under the Oba of Benin in the 1700s and what about their argument that the Igbos were under Eze Nri and Arochukwu at this period. By claiming Oluadah as Igbo you must also accept that the entire Igbo people were the subjects of the Oba of Benin.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:
Oluadah Equiano claimed in his book that his people and their land were the subjects of the great Oba of Benin in his book. So those arguing he was an Igbo man should tell us whether the entire Igbo land was under the Oba of Benin in the 1700s and what about their argument that the Igbos were under Eze Nri and Arochukwu at this period.
Your questions have been answered 1,000 times already.
You have just refused to read

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 7:38am On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

Your questions have been answered 1,000 times already.
You have just refused to read

You cannot argue that Olaudah is Igbo and not accept that Igbo was under the Benin Empire because Oluadah said his Eboe people were under the Oba of Benin. For the modern day biafra revisionist that says the Benin Empire didn't extend more than river niger, how can you claim Oluadah as an Igbo from the east.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

You cannot argue that Olaudah is Igbo and not accept that Igbo was under the Benin Empire because Oluadah said his Eboe people were under the Oba of Benin. For the modern day biafra revisionist that says the Benin Empire didn't extend more than river niger, how can you claim Oluadah as an Igbo from the east.
Look at the colonial map of Igbo territory, then sit back and think properly

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 7:55am On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

Look at the colonial map of Igbo territory, then sit back and think properly

If your map is correct then it proves the point that Oluadah couldn't have be born or be a native of the Igbo territory unless you are saying that the entire territory was under the Oba of Benin at the time he was born. What exactly is your point?
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

If your map is correct then it proves the point that Oluadah couldn't have be born or be a native of the Igbo territory unless you are saying that the entire territory was under the Oba of Benin at the time he was born. What exactly is your point?
My friend, read Olaudah's book and quit recycling Igbo hate

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by bibe(m): 9:08am On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:
Oluadah Equiano claimed in his book that his people and their land were the subjects of the great Oba of Benin in his book. So those arguing he was an Igbo man should tell us whether the entire Igbo land was under the Oba of Benin in the 1700s and what about their argument that the Igbos were under Eze Nri and Arochukwu at this period. By claiming Oluadah as Igbo you must also accept that the entire Igbo people were the subjects of the Oba of Benin.

That is not entirely true, what he said was that although there was a great king with an empire known as Benin who was famous, the influence of this king on his locality was "nominal" (the exact word he used) and that as far as he could tell in his young age all affairs of governance was carried out by the chiefs of his village.

He then went further to explain about the chiefs and in the details reveals that they were the Mburichi (mbreche his exact word) of the old Igbo custom noted for the elaborate carvings on their faces. These chiefs were part of the organ of governance of the then Nri King.
He also further noted that his brother had by then received same markings and he would also have received it when he had come of age.

4 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by nwabobo: 9:20am On Oct 17, 2017
Pigsandidiots:
Keep deceiving yourself. Babangida is proud northerner but we all know he's Yoruba. Here is his evidence. No where it is written he's igbo.

That to you is evidence, right?
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 17, 2017
bibe:

He then went further to explain about the chiefs and in the details reveals that they were the Mburichi (mbreche his exact word) of the old Igbo custom noted for the elaborate carvings on their faces. These chiefs were part of the organ of governance of the then Nri King.
He also further noted that his brother had by then received same markings and he would also have received it when he had come of age.
Thanks for this post.

aribisala0 and other afonjas refuse to study. Its all about regurgitating tribal steretypes for them.

source: Jeffreys, M. (1951). The Winged Solar Disk, or Ibo Ichi Scarification, Journal of the International African Institute, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 93-111.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 1:07pm On Oct 17, 2017
bibe:

That is not entirely true, what he said was that although there was a great king with an empire known as Benin who was famous, the influence of this king on his locality was "nominal" (the exact word he used) and that as far as he could tell in his young age all affairs of governance was carried out by the chiefs of his village.

Yes he did acknowledged that the Benin king was their overlords. Benin influence throughout the empire and territories it controlled was nominal in as much as tributes were paid to Benin as when due. Benin allow each tribes to maintain their own religion, tradition, customs and internal administrations, Benin was only interested in tribute. By the time Oluadah Equiano was captured he was the subject of the Benin Empire.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by bibe(m): 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

Yes he did acknowledged that the Benin king was their overlords. Benin influence throughout the empire and territories it controlled was nominal in as much as tributes were paid to Benin as when due. Benin allow each tribes to maintain their own religion, tradition, customs and internal administrations, Benin was only interested in tribute. By the time Oluadah Equiano was captured he was the subject of the Benin Empire.

I may be mistaken, but I thought the argument here was about his ethnicity...

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by OMANBALA1: 2:06pm On Oct 17, 2017
bibe:

I may be mistaken, but I thought the argument here was about his ethnicity...

Common , you know the game. The instructions is to pull the Igbo nation down and drag us through the mud but Olisebuluwa ama ekwero!

5 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by OMANBALA1: 2:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

And what's this nonsense. This is pure retardation.
From Olauda is not Igbo to Bini is superior to Igbo. Bini that couldn't defeat Agbor and had to build a mound around them for fear of invasion. Igbo eligo nsi!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by aribisala0(m): 4:31pm On Oct 17, 2017
I think OlaOdua is from Shaki in Oyo state
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2017
FemiMaduka:
Sukkot, Ivolt, Pigsandidiots and Aribisala (or what have you), you guys should take a break abeg! All over the world there is a consensus that Olaudah Equiano was Eboe (Igbo) born in Essaka in Anambra state; the man spoke Eboe, wrote in Eboe (or tried to), wrote about Eboe and claimed to be Eboe, so should we really be having this argument? The Sun newspaper (UK) did an article on him to celebrate his birthday and it was pointed out that he was Eboe from Essaka in Anambra state. Common sense and a good sense of history would have exposed any body to the fact that some Igbo communities came under the influence of the Bini Empire; and centuries ago, when our indigenous languages hadn't had a standardized system of writing using the Latin/English Alphabet, it was commonplace to see our native names rendered in English as they sound. For example, Igbo was spelled as 'Heebo' or 'Eboe' (up to this present day, Igbo is still wrongly spelt as 'IBO'); Orisa as OrisHa; Ohambala anglicised as Anambra; Shaworo (a Yoruba community in Benin Republic) was called Tchaourou; Wese was Ouesse; and many more of such renditions just to make the name conform to their style. How many of us pronounce Wenger (Arsene) as 'Venga' - which is the authentic pronunciation. I am in no doubt that Equiano was 'Ikwuano'.
hey bro, I was trolling. its a very strong possibility the fellow could be igbo. however there is a possibility he may not be. none of us can be exact and sure cuz none of us were physically present to meet the man. so, no absolutes wink
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ofai: 5:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
sukkot:
hey bro, I was trolling. its a very strong possibility the fellow could be igbo. however there is a possibility he may not be. none of us can be exact and sure cuz none of us were physically present to meet the man. so, no absolutes wink

Story story.....story.

Equiano is Igbo. Deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 5:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
OMANBALA1:

And what's this nonsense. This is pure retardation.
From Olauda is not Igbo to Bini is superior to Igbo. Bini that couldn't defeat Agbor and had to build a mound around them for fear of invasion. Igbo eligo nsi!

Benin couldn't defeat Agbor yet the presence of the Oba of Benin was being felt in far away as Anambra. The point I am trying to make is no one is certain about Oluadah's ethnicity because there were no such names of a tribe called Igbo or Ibo hence the reason they are not explicitly stated in his book. The only territory that can still be identified from his book today is Benin so Olaudah could have come from any part of the then Benin empire be it Etsako, Agbo, Abia or Anambra.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

there were no such names of a tribe called Igbo or Ibo hence the reason they are not explicitly stated in his book. The only territory that can still be identified from his book today is Benin so Olaudah could have come from any part of the then Benin empire be it Etsako, Agbo, Abia or Anambra.
coming from someone who NEVER read Olaudah's book

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

coming from someone who NEVER read Olaudah's book

Point readers to where I said I never read the book.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

Point readers to where I said I never read the book.
If you read the book you will not be making comments like this

samuk:

there were no such names of a tribe called Igbo or Ibo hence the reason they are not explicitly stated in his book.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

If you read the book you will not be making comments like this

Igbo or Ibo where NEVER used in his book. It's only modern day interpreters of the book that tried to claim him as Ibo or Igbo. I repeat there was no such a word as Ibo before the 1900s the word "I Before Others" (IBO) was actually coined by first generation politicians of the then Eastern Nigeria to unite natives of that region for political strength just the way politicians of the then Western region came together under the umbrella of Omo-Ododuwa.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

Igbo or Ibo where NEVER used in his book. It's only modern day interpreters of the book that tried to claim him as Ibo or Igbo. I repeat there was no such a word as Ibo before the 1900s the word "I Before Others" (IBO) was actually coined by first generation politicians of the then Eastern Nigeria to unite natives of that region for political strength just the way politicians of the then Western region came together under the umbrella of Omo-Ododuwa.
OK
Just keep saying it, "Igbo amaka"

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by OMANBALA1: 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2017
samuk:

You are a ffuccking joke of a human. How can somebody be this foolish. How dare you try to tell me my history,you inconsequential nonentity! Igbo has always existed before your tribe were created... What we didn't have was one Igbo identity ,you slowpoke!

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by samuk: 11:55pm On Oct 17, 2017
OMANBALA1:

You are a ffuccking joke of a human. How can somebody be this foolish. How dare you try to tell me my history,you inconsequential nonentity! Igbo has always existed before your tribe were created... What we didn't have was one Igbo identity ,you slowpoke!

When people are out of their depth they resort to insults. What a low life. When your parents send you in school to read for a day like this, nba, no, you refused to study and lean, now insult is your superior argument, What a pity. It's not too late to go back to school. Until very recently, the average Onitsha person does not see himself as Igbo in fact he/she will feel insulted to be called Igbo, if you are in doubt go and read Nnamdi Azikiwe's autobiography written in 1970.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ofai: 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2017
samuk:

How do you reason? Perhaps I should ask, how old are you?
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ofai: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2017
samuk:

When people are out of their depth they resort to insults. What a low life. When your parents send you in school to read for a day like this, nba, no, you refused to study and lean, now insult is your superior argument, What a pity. It's not too late to go back to school. Until very recently, the average Onitsha person does not see himself as Igbo in fact he/she will feel insulted to be called Igbo, if you are in doubt go and read Nnamdi Azikiwe's autobiography written in 1970.

Arguing with you is a waste of time because your "points" are so low and empty. And you refuse to learn, I know someday, you shall learn.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Alexus23: 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2017
Indi Igbo don really suffer for this kwontry
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by gidgiddy: 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2017
There are two things Olaudah said in his book that clearly shows he is Igbo

1) I was named Olaudah, which, in our language, signifies vicissitude or fortune also, one
favoured, and having a loud voice and well spoken

In Igbo

Udah means loud

Ola means precious stone or metal such as gold(Ola-edo)or Silver (Ola-Onah). Ola is something of fortune.

'Olu udah' in Igbo means 'loud voice'

2)
our year being called Ah-affoe

Year in Igbo is afo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by clefstone(m): 11:22am On Oct 31, 2021
BudeYahooCom:
Great Igbo man from Iseke, a community in Ihiala local government of Biafra.
this is a lie from the pit of hades
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ndipe(m): 7:47pm On Mar 25, 2022
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by RealTalkNoBull: 1:41am On Mar 26, 2023
Igbos will steal any and everything. Look at how they turned an Etsako man into an Igbo man.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

PDP Will Not Win A Single Seat In Kwara State- Survey / Makinde Flags Off Dualization Of 8.6km Project, Names Road After Wike / Marketers Hint Of ₦800 Petrol Pump Price Amid Surging Landing Cost, Worsening FX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.