Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church (62873 Views)

Nigerian Pentecostals Believe That A Pastor Must Have A Spiritual Father / " Go To A Bible-Believing Church" ...What Does It Mean?? / Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by DeYoungJoe(m): 9:16pm On Oct 22, 2017
crazygod:
When u start worshipping Mary and praying to her, I think bible considers that as idolatry
Do u know D different b/w worship and honor?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by freshboi88: 9:16pm On Oct 22, 2017
joshnes:
You are arguing with yourself. The commandment and the instruction to make the serpent are both in the bible and you don't need a professor to explain them to you. They did not pray to nor worship the serpent. As for your other questions I refer you back to where I said the bible and God does not tolerate idolatry also you can read Romans 1: 21-32.

Nah person like u I dey like tackle....you made reference to the Commandment of making images. The man made a very good point, y will he who said do not make images give command to make an image......??
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by obayaya(m): 9:17pm On Oct 22, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Do Catholics SERVE Mary? Yes, as in “Legion of Mary.”

I want to talk about just this part of your long write up. I was a legionnaire during my undergraduate years. Now here's the idea behind the Legion of Mary.

Historically, the Legion refers to an army. A roman army. So basically the legion of mary is an army that fight beneath the standard of Mary.

and here's the rationale.

In Genesis 3:15, the Bible said "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

The passage above refers to "the woman". This woman is Mary and her seed is Jesus.

This passage above said the enemity is between the devil and the woman. Mary is the Devil's enemy - The first and the last. The Legion of Mary is an army devoted to fighting Mary's enemy - the devil through prayers, good works and kindness.

I hope you understand now

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Kenerd: 9:18pm On Oct 22, 2017
[quote author=GGirll post=61675505][/quote]. All I know is the 2nd set is as valid as the former. albeit, I don't get the point in your statement.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by DeYoungJoe(m): 9:19pm On Oct 22, 2017
Rashduct4luv:
Because Catholics bow to graven images of Jesus and Mary...and they seek intercession of Saints in prayer!

What abt the image of snake that saved israelites from dying of snake bite?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by GGirll: 9:19pm On Oct 22, 2017
Catholic church to me is not liked by Pentecostal churches with d following points1. They believe n channel their prayers through Mary's image...citing d angelic greetings from Angel Michael who came to Mary to deliver d news of Jesus she would conceive n bear as a virgin.
2. They confess their sins to another human e.g their priests who then tell them their sins are forgiven or give them penance like sweeping d church as a punishment for their sins which is heresy to d church of Christ.
3. They believe n force young men n women to accept celibacy thereby undermining God's plan for procreation n replenishing d earth according to Gen 1:28.
4. They exhume dead people they made saints n pray through their skeletons n that's necromancy .
5. They claim call their pope his holiness title only God should assume n not for any mortal man on earth for the Bible said no one is holy except God..
6. They use rosary,incense, n speak Latin which other churches felt could be a sort of incantations
7. They don't allow their priests to resign claiming only d Holy father can do so which others view as bondage.
8. They bow to images of the actor that acted d passion of Christ n even though d guy had pleaded with them to stop wor shipping him they refuse to stop if u doubt me Google it.
8. They worship Mary n claim they only honour her using an image made by artists n sculptors yet there are professors n educated fellows there who knew d Mary image is man made yet they gullible worship it.
9. They don't eat meat during lent
10. They have a stature they call sacrament n worship it.
11. They do things which is 99% not found in d bible n even have their own bible where ex 20:4 n 5 are carefully removed n replaced with heresies, their priests have been found guilty of paedophile n other horrible things.....I'm not here to judge them but this is why most Pentecostals can't even marry them let alone associate with them n their peganistic believes they say

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by joshnes(m): 9:19pm On Oct 22, 2017
tete7000:

This is where I intend to draw you. Catholic too have never told you they worship, these images like you have said are symbolic too. If people can pray within the premises of the ark, why can't any other inspired symbol too do the same? That's has always been the Church argument. If you say God inspired, has God stop inspiring? Has he stopped using symbols? Has he changed?
Brother, you know very well you guys just don't pray in the premises of those images, you guys PRAY TO them. That is where the issue is. As for symbols, they were used because the old testament is only but a shadow of things that were to come. Which actually came when Jesus died and resurrected. God and His law is now in my heart, I don't need any symbol to gain access to God, neither do you (Jer 31:31-34 Heb 8:5-13 Pls Read). God wants to talk with you, and the only thing you need to talk back to Him is the name of Jesus. No symbol, no statue, no image, just Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by GGirll: 9:19pm On Oct 22, 2017
Catholic church to me is not liked by Pentecostal churches with d following points1. They believe n channel their prayers through Mary's image...citing d angelic greetings from Angel Michael who came to Mary to deliver d news of Jesus she would conceive n bear as a virgin.
2. They confess their sins to another human e.g their priests who then tell them their sins are forgiven or give them penance like sweeping d church as a punishment for their sins which is heresy to d church of Christ.
3. They believe n force young men n women to accept celibacy thereby undermining God's plan for procreation n replenishing d earth according to Gen 1:28.
4. They exhume dead people they made saints n pray through their skeletons n that's necromancy .
5. They claim call their pope his holiness title only God should assume n not for any mortal man on earth for the Bible said no one is holy except God..
6. They use rosary,incense, n speak Latin which other churches felt could be a sort of incantations
7. They don't allow their priests to resign claiming only d Holy father can do so which others view as bondage.
8. They bow to images of the actor that acted d passion of Christ n even though d guy had pleaded with them to stop wor shipping him they refuse to stop if u doubt me Google it.
8. They worship Mary n claim they only honour her using an image made by artists n sculptors yet there are professors n educated fellows there who knew d Mary image is man made yet they gullible worship it.
9. They don't eat meat during lent
10. They have a stature they call sacrament n worship it.
11. They do things which is 99% not found in d bible n even have their own bible where ex 20:4 n 5 are carefully removed n replaced with heresies, their priests have been found guilty of paedophile n other horrible things.....I'm not here to judge them but this is why most Pentecostals can't even marry them let alone associate with them n their peganisyic believes they say
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Pamellakimona: 9:20pm On Oct 22, 2017
My dear. D last time I checked, pentecostal churches are the ones copying some catholic practices. I will not mention the pastors dat are now putting on some priests dress. Sharing of communion. Ask your pastors who go to Jerusalem and comes back with sacramental items where they got it from. Will u tell me everything dat pentecostal churches do are rooted in d bible? Some of d Pentecostals hide under d shadow of others while they can not quote the simplest bible verse. Who are U to judge? The church is a community. And every community hav a culture and modus operandi that they adopt. I am a catholic, and have a sister who is married to a redeemer. When they return from Adeboye Camp with all the pen, jotter, hand band, olive oil, daddy GO's emblems etc and paste them/ wear them, they say it is for protection. Finland is a country with about 23 churches in all (it is considered an etheist country) but one of the most peaceful and successful. Nigeria has 23, 000 registered churches yet not peaceful. Pentecostal churches are fault finders! After all the d struggle, it is only God himself that knows who will enter d kingdom of heaven. Many are hypocrites! To know a true Christian (be it Catholic or Penticostal), pay them an unexpected visit in dia families. If all the penticostal churches are bible believing, why do we still have dubious pastors in dis country? I accompanied my mum to her church and she was asked to wait outside why I go in for prayer and d rest is a history. Why do we have pastors turning church into thier family companies and money making machine? Have u not come across it in d bible where Jesus scattered the market dat was set up in d house of God? Where in d bible was it stated that u have to pay before u see a pastor?

Personally I don't fancy engaging in dis controversial discussion cos the penticostal don't want to see anything good in catholic. And my bible warns me against strife.

As Christians we are to have nothing to do with strife because it’s always caused by ungodly traits and it leads to arguments. It is caused by things that have no business in Christianity like pride, hate, and jealousy. We are to love others as ourselves, but strife does not do that.

It destroys families, friendships, churches, and marriages. Refrain from anger and keep love because love covers all wrongs.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by freshboi88: 9:20pm On Oct 22, 2017
joshnes:
the ark is NOT an object of worship. God NEVER asked the Isrealites to worship the ark. NEVER. The ark of the covenant, like the brazen serpent was symbolic. Representing the Holy Spirit filled born again child of God in the new testament era.

Does kneeling down bfre an image or bowing down equate to worshipping tht image??
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by obayaya(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2017
Proffdada:
what is your pope doing?

Kissing a statue of Mary...

The same way you kiss the picture of your child or gf or wife or mother when you're far away from them. the Same way you put the pictures of your child, wife, mother in your wallet wallet to remind you of them.

Do you consider yourself to be worshipping your wife, child or mother when you kiss those pictures?

If you do, only then can you say the pope is worshipping Mary because he kissed a statue of her.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by shankara7: 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2017
The Catholic church

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by JoNach: 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2017
UAE123:
It beat my imaginations to see Pentecostal Churches saying that the members of the Catholic Church worship Mary when the word of the Holy Rosary are clearly stated in the bible & most of these Pentecostal members criticizing the Catholic about these days are evening worshipping their Pastors & honoring these Pastors more than their husbands. Some presently even wear the statues of their Pastors on their neck 24 hours a day believing it will always protect them.

Are you minding those Pentecostal confused hypocrites...lost souls
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by freshboi88: 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2017
Proffdada:
you mean mary existed before God?

Do u agree that Jesus is God??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Simonchester: 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2017
Remember that we have in the bible that blessed is she (Mary) amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of her womb (Jesus).
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Kenerd: 9:23pm On Oct 22, 2017
mamachizzy:
what's in the missal? is it not bible chapters
IKR. it's just that some people argue that Catholics don't take Bible to church whereas the missal...
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by freshboi88: 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2017
joshnes:
the ark is NOT an object of worship. God NEVER asked the Isrealites to worship the ark. NEVER. The ark of the covenant, like the brazen serpent was symbolic. Representing the Holy Spirit filled born again child of God in the new testament era.

Joshua bowed bfre the Ark.....was he worshiping it??
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2017
Idol Worshippers

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by GGirll: 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2017
obayaya:

I want to talk about just this part of your long write up. I was a legionnaire during my undergraduate years. Now here's the idea behind the Legion of Mary.

Historical, the Legion refers to an army. A roman army. So basically the legion of mary is an army that fight beneath the standard of Mary.

and here's the rationale.

In Genesis 3:15, the Bible said "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

The passage above refers to "the woman". This woman is Mary and her seed is Jesus.

This passage above said the enemity is between the devil and the woman. Mary is the Devil's enemy - The first and the last. The Legion of Mary is an army devoted to fighting Mary's enemy - the devil through prayers, good works and kindness.

I hope you understand now

We do not fight against flesh n blood please read Ephisians 6:19-18 besides God does not need your legion of Mary to fight his battle for he has said vengeance is mine....he's a consuming fire n need no man to fight for him read ex 4-ex20

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Kenerd: 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2017
classicalhenry:

Abeg explain them, una words sef ten years pikin no fit read understand
sorry, just read Exodus 34.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Ellixlimswag(m): 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2017
una wan kill Catholic we're them wan start defend themselves now.. I love jw
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Mujtahida: 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2017
If una like you guys should kill yourselves after the history of Christianity has been bloody from the beginning till now. I even prefer the Catholics - if not for the Mary thing- they do more charitable works.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by joshnes(m): 9:28pm On Oct 22, 2017
freshboi88:

Nah person like u I dey like tackle....you made reference to the Commandment of making images. The man made a very good point, y will he who said do not make images give command to make an image......??
no tackle me oh, I no get power. I did not write the bible. Let's look at Abraham, God said go and sacrifce your son and the same God told him to stop, what will you say about that? Lemme tell you what I will say - get a bible and read Isaiah 55:8-9. You will see God is God, you cannot question Him. Another thing the old testament is full of symbols. The snake was a symbol, not an object of worship. God NEVER asked them to worship the snake.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 9:28pm On Oct 22, 2017
obayaya:

The same way you kiss the picture of your child or gf or wife or mother when you're far away from them. the Same way you put the pictures of your child, wife, mother in your wallet wallet to remind you of them.

Do you consider yourself to be worshipping your wife, child or mother when you kiss those pictures?

If you do, only then can you say the pope is worshipping Mary because he kissed a statue of her.

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by GGirll: 9:29pm On Oct 22, 2017
Simonchester:
Remember that we have in the bible that blessed is she (Mary) amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of her womb (Jesus).
That was angeluc greetings to her did it mean you should worship her or pray through her to God? Jesus is the way,the truth n d life no man cometh to God d father except through Jesus Christ.....so if an angel visited her n said she's blessed was it enough reason to worship her in disobedience to God's injunction n commandments?
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by amunkita(m): 9:30pm On Oct 22, 2017
obayaya:

Here is the full Hail Mary Prayer and the Biblical backing

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, The Lord is with you (Luke 1:28)
Blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus (Luke 1:41-42)

Holy Mary, Mother of God (Luke 1:43)
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death (James 5:16).

1... Luke 1 vs 28, it was a greeting not a prayer, telling her she ve found favor from God amongst the women of the earth.
2. Luke 1 vs 41-42, this passage confirmed the above, because of a truth, she noticed she was blessed with the messiah nd never a prayer.
3. Luke 1 vs 43, never said she was the mother of God expect u re reading from a catholic bible, this is what it say, "And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me"

4.James 5 vs 16, did not say such, pls don't lie against the bible, this is what it says, "Confess your faults to one another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much"....

Finally sir, go to exodus 20 vs 4, nd tell me that the catholic faith observes same nd don't forget to read Jeremiah 44 to see who u worship by calling queen of heaven.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by joshnes(m): 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
freshboi88:

Joshua bowed bfre the Ark.....was he worshiping it??
he fell before the ark obviously out of frustration, the bible never said he worshipped it, or prayed to it. To answer you, he in no way worshipped the ark.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Boyfriend1: 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2017
I wish to apologize to God and to every one for all the times I criticized the Catholic Church. I devoted some time to make enquiries and I discovered the Catholic Church is amazing. In a world where hate and tribalism abound, in a world where a northerners cannot allow Southerners to rule, it is only in the Catholic Church that we see over I billion people united under one head, the Pope. Whether the Pope is from China or from Italy or from Germany or from Poland or from America. We see in the Pope, Christ's blessing on Peter which makes him the rock upon which Christianity is built.

In a world filled with racism, it is only among Catholics that a young AFRICAN will be given the highest level of respect in America, in Europe, in Asia, in every continent of the world just because he is a Catholic priest. No matter the age, no matter the color, no matter the background.

Among all the institutions of the world and empires of the world, it is only the Catholic Church that has lasted for up to 2000 years and is still strong. The same hierachy, the same liturgical formular, the same unity. That we all are Christians today is because of the Catholic Church. They endured series of persecutions, many of their members gave up their lives just to hand the gospel over to us.

Is it the Bible? They preserved the bible from the old ages. During the great wars and Renaissance, Catholic Monks had to recopy the bible with their own hand which took them many years just to preserve the Word of God. They studied Hebrew and Greek languages just to translate the Bible to our various languages. Instead of thanking them, we criticize them that they do not read the Bible.

In a world filled with hatred and envy that today even siblings kill each other, the love between one Catholic priest and another is greater than human understanding can fathom. Even if one is a stranger from China and another from from Africa, once both are priests, they eat together, laugh together and the trust is not broken. The fraternity between Catholic seminarians is much greater than the love between siblings.

They are the only Church that believe in conversion of sinners. Other churches try to be self-righteous, it is only the Catholic church that believe that the Church is meant for saints and sinners. They do not castigate sinners but urge them to repent. The care and patience of a priest at the confessional is Christ-like.

In a world filled with arrogance and pride, Catholic priesrs are all humility and tenderness especially at the confessional yet they are the highest learned people in the world. Why do we castigate these wonderful priests so much? It is through that a little err, but we all are human. Was Judas not also an apostle of Jesus?

Mary? Ofcourse as it should be of a long-lasting institution, they are full of wisdom. They know that the greatest affection is between the mother and the son. And if we are in need, do we not ask our family members and friends to pray for us? They know that Mary is close to Jesus and dear to him and so they take the easiest way to Jesus, through his mother. We all know that we listen to our mothers above every one else except she is a bad mother.

This is the only church that engages in a world wide dialogue with Islam and other denominations to fulfill Christ's prayer "Father, may they all be one." In our world where morality is very low, where husbands batter their wives because they do not give birth to male children, we see young men who sacrifice everything, father, mother, wife, children to serve the lord.

We should all pray for the Catholic Church, they way our world is moving, I pray that God helps to preserve their morality, if not for anything, because most of our children are in Catholic schools.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by femi4: 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2017
tete7000:

Oga go and sleep. I am not interested in arguing with people who pretend to have knowledge they don't posses. Paul had an encounter with God and became a member of the church, [b]is it scriptural that someone claim to have a dream and then start his own church. [/b]The whole idea of Pentecostalism if you want to know is also not scriptural to me. So let Catholics be. You know nothing about the scripture you talk about. Leave your confusion for God to judge.
Go back to the Bible toddler and check how churches are being planted
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Proffdada: 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2017
freshboi88:

Do u agree that Jesus is God??
answer me 1st
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by Simonchester: 9:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
Point of correction,
Catholics do not worship Mary.
Re: Why Do Pentecostals Believe That Catholic Church Is Not A Bible Believing Church by GGirll: 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2017
obayaya:

Please can you also pray through the pictures of your kins or mum? Please the Jesus actor you guys worship has cried out to you Catholic fellows to STop worshipping him as he's just an actor they acted d movie "the passion of christ" so you see your so called Jesus n Mary statues n images were not even d real Mary n Jesus cos when they existed there were no cameras to have captured their images....Please stop worshipping actors n actresses

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (30) (Reply)

Joshua Bamiloye Weds Tolulope Mary Odesola (Photos) / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Dunamis Glory Dome Dedication In Abuja / Folayan Osekita Shades Adeboye: Praises Wife 'Who Can't Pray 2hrs Nonstop'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.