Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,648 members, 7,820,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War (4699 Views)

Fani-kayode Writes Open Letter To Buhari On The War Against Boko Haram / Biafra- Before The War Breaks Out / Quotable Quotes From Dame Patient Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by EzeUche(m): 7:31am On Mar 15, 2010
After federal forces take over of Benin, troops killed about 500 Igbo civilians after a house-to-house search with the aid of willing locals"
(Washington Morning Post, 27 September, 1967)

"In Calabar, federal forces shot at least 1000 and perhaps 2000 Igbos, most of them civilians"
(New York Times, 18th January, 1968).

"There has been genocide on the occasion of the 1966 massacres, the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, federal troops having, for unknown reasons, massacred all the men"
(Paris Le Monde, 5th April, 1968)
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by EzeUche(m): 7:35am On Mar 15, 2010
More Quotes from the war

I saw several hundred of Zombie-like creatures -men, women and children, lying, sitting or squatting in the midst of others who were dead. The living ones were completely reduced to skeletons and could not talk. I was seeing for the first time, kwashiorkor, Frankly, I took fright, I believe that any foreign troops from anywhere in the world occupying Ikot Ekpene or any other town in Biafra would have shown much more sympathy, "
(Gen. Alex Madiebo, Ikot Ekpene, July 1968)

I want to see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no Pope, no missionary and no UN delegation. I want to prevent even one Ibo from having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troops march into the centre of Ibo territory, we shoot at everything even at things that do not move, "

( Benjamin Adekunle. Commander, 3rd Marine Commando Division, Nigerian Army to French radio reporter). ",

"Let us go and crush them. We will pillage their property, despoil their womenfolk, kill off their menfolk and leave them uselessly weeping. We will complete the pogrom of 1966"
(The theme song of Radio Kaduna, government-controlled, 1967-1970).

"Unfortunately this [Gowon's] enlightenment at the top level does not penetrate very deep: a Lagos police officer was quoted last month as saying that the Igbos must be considerably reduced in number"
Dr Conor cruise O'Bien , 21 December 1967 New York Review

"There has been genocide, for example on the occasion of the 1966 massacres , Two areas have suffered badly [from the fighting]. Firstly the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men. According to eyewitnesses of that massacre the Nigerian commander ordered the execution of every Ibo male over the age of ten years.
" Monsignor Georges (sent down on a fact-finding mission by His holiness the Pope reporting his finding in Vatican Rome
Le Monde (French Evening newspaper) April 5, 1968. ",

650 refugee camps, contained about 700,000 haggard bundles of human flotsam waiting hopelessly for a meal, outside the camps, was the reminder of an estimated four and a half to five million displaced persons, the Kwashiokor scourge, a million and half children, suffer(ed) from it during January; that put the forecast death toll at another 300,000 children, More than the pogroms of 1966, more than the war casualties, more than the terror bombings, it was the experience of watching helplessly their children waste away and die that gave birth to, a deep and unrelenting loathing, It is a feeling that will one day reap a bitter harvest unless, "

(Frederick Forsyth, British writer January 21st 1969) ",

"Bestialities and indignities of all kinds were visited on Biafrans in 1966. In Ikeja Barracks (Western Nigeria) Biafrans were forcibly fed on a mixture of human urine and faeces. In Northern Nigeria numerous Biafran house-wives and nursing mothers were despoiled before their husbands and children. Young girls were abducted from their homes, working places and schools and forced into sexual intercourse with sick, demented and leprous men.
Mr. Eric Spiff (German War correspondence Eyewitness, 1967

It’s (mass starvation) is a legitimate aspect of war, " Anthony Enahoro, Nigerian Commissioner for Information at a press conference in (New York, July 1968)

"Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels, "
Mr Alison Ayida, Head of Nigerian Delegation, Niamey Peace Talks, Republic of Niger, July 1968) "

All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder."
Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Nigerian Minister of Finance, July 28th 1969) " ,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Ellyptical: 3:31pm On Mar 15, 2010
EzeUche:

"Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels, "
Mr Alison Ayida, Head of Nigerian Delegation, Niamey Peace Talks, Republic of Niger, July 1968) "

All is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don't see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder."
Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Nigerian Minister of Finance, July 28th 1969) " ,

And to think that Awolowo is held in high esteem by some people even with his genocidal statement baffles me. This was a man who said 'If the Igbos are allowed to Secede then we too will secede. How directionless can a man be? How unresolute can a man be?
How can you be so unsure of whether you want to form your own nation or not, that you tie the emergence of something as important as a nation, to another man's struggle? Why no state decisively if you are seceding or not rather than tie your actions to the outcome of the struggle by the Igbos.
Like my Yoruba friend told me, Yorubas will always be cowards.
Yes! He told me pump and plain that he and his people have this cowardly tendency :-(
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by agabaI23(m): 3:39pm On Mar 15, 2010
I guess this does not do any good service to anyone at this point in time. To bring back the memories of the progrom, I think does not help.

Please EzeUche stop posting this.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Bialegend(m): 3:59pm On Mar 15, 2010
Quote by Ellyptical
And to think that Awolowo is held in high esteem by some people even with his genocidal statement baffles me.

It shouldn't baffle you. Killing and genocide against Igbos is an accepted norm which is celebrated in nigeria by every other ethnic group in nigeria especially the northerners and followed by the Yorubas.  You want a top government post in nigeria? Just go out and instigate the killing of Igbos and you will be rewarded handsomely with a top government post in nigeria.
Mr Alison Ayida who said during the war that  "Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war, and we have every intention of using it against the rebels" is revered today in nigeria as a  “super-permanent secretary” . Murtalla Mohamed who almost wiped out every Igbo male at Asaba during the war has his name used for their international airport in Lagos.
The reason why you are seeing and hearing of all this agitations in regards to the recent (few days ago) killings in Jos is because the victims this time are not Igbos. (The chicken has come come to roost). Had the victims being Igbos, all you would have heard from nigerians, especially the Yoruba folks (cowards and hausa/fulani cock suckers) are reasons why Igbos should leave Jos which is not their home (despite wanting them at all cost in their makeshift country nigeria) and migrate back to their Igboland, and including other ridiculous comments.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Afam(m): 4:02pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

I guess this does not do any good service to anyone at this point in time. To bring back the memories of the progrom, I think does not help.

Considering the level of misinformation and lies out there I believe it makes perfect sense for the younger generation to read and understand these things.

If you don't know where you are coming from then most likely you will not know where you are going to.

In terms of numbers how many people have they killed in Jos?

Over 30,000 Easterners were massacred by their neighbors, friends, business partners, colleagues etc and you want such information to be hidden? No.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by metalgong5(m): 4:55pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

If you dont like what he is posting, then leave the thread. . . The truth is always bitter.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by agabaI23(m): 5:09pm On Mar 15, 2010
metal-gong:

If you dont like what he is posting, then leave the thread. . . The truth is always bitter.
Nwoke m jee rie nsi esiri n'oku. Ekwuru m ihe di m n'obi. The memories are bad and I did not address you. Anu mpam.

I dika eji nsi ewu zuo gi.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Afam4eva(m): 5:17pm On Mar 15, 2010
metal-gong:

Abi.
Ellyptical:

[b]And to think that Awolowo is held in high esteem by some people even with his genocidal statement baffles me. This was a man who said 'If the Igbos are allowed to Secede then we too will secede. How directionless can a man be? How unresolute can a man be?[/b]How can you be so unsure of whether you want to form your own nation or not, that you tie the emergence of something as important as a nation, to another man's struggle? Why no state decisively if you are seceding or not rather than tie your actions to the outcome of the struggle by the Igbos.
Like my Yoruba friend told me, Yorubas will always be cowards.
Yes! He told me pump and plain that he and his people have this cowardly tendency :-(

People mean different things to different people. No yoruba man wants to know the real Awolowo as it concerns the Biafran war.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by chosen04(f): 5:28pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

Nwoke m jee rie nsi esiri n'oku. Ekwuru m ihe di m n'obi. The memories are bad and I did not address you. Anu mpam.

I dika eji nsi ewu zuo gi.

EWU AWUSE be careful:-

I now understand why truth is bitter. The memories does not help today may become the pogrom didnt exist 2morow.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by ow11(m): 5:33pm On Mar 15, 2010
Refusing to let a wound heal usually results in severe complications like ulcers or gangrine. Some people have already gotten to that stage and can't be helped. . . what a pity!
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by agabaI23(m): 5:34pm On Mar 15, 2010
chosen04:

EWU AWUSE be careful:-

I now understand why truth is bitter. The memories does not help today may become the pogrom didnt exist 2morow.

Aturu Idoma, sugharia oyibo gi ahu ka m ghota.  I di eze ka iji mmiri udene saa ahu.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by agabaI23(m): 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2010
ow11:

Refusing to let a wound heal usually results in severe complications like ulcers or gangrine. Some people have already gotten to that stage and can't be helped. . . what a pity!

Don't even come here to yarn rubbish. It does not concern you except your guilt can't let you sleep.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by chosen04(f): 5:37pm On Mar 15, 2010
ow11:

The only way to allow a wound to heal is to treat it.
The only to allow bad memories heal is to tender an unreserved apology.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by amarilo: 5:38pm On Mar 15, 2010
ow11:

A wound can't heal without adequate medication. Have you thought of that?
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by ow11(m): 5:44pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

Don't even come here to yarn rubbish. It does not concern you except your guilt can let you sleep.

I wasn't born during that very sad period in our nations history so do not have any guilt. You on the other hand, I have to assume have been fed so much hatred and bitterness and as such can't act otherwise. Poor you. . .

chosen04:

The only way to allow a wound to heal is to treat it.
The only to allow bad memories heal is to tender an unreserved apology.

Good points! The victor and vanquished speech was supposed to achieve that aim wasn't it? However, whenever a responsible government surfaces in Nigeria, a proper T&R session is needed to pacify victims of ethnic clashes between 1940 and 2010. Many Nigerians have died needlessly even after the war, so it doesn't solve anything rehashing hate speeches whilst playing the victim card.

We need to move ahead and not backwards and do agree with your suggestions.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by chosen04(f): 5:44pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

Aturu Idoma, sugharia oyibo gi ahu ka m ghota. I di eze ka iji mmiri udene saa ahu.

OTONDO, ANU OFIA, NKITA ARA, MALU AWUSE.

IKE GAGWU NGI NA NDI OTU GI
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by agabaI23(m): 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2010
chosen04:

OTONDO, ANU OFIA, NKITA ARA, MALU AWUSE.

IKE GAGWU NGI NA NDI OTU GI

Jee rie nsi egwere egwe. I dika udene mmili malu. I gaghi emechi onu ngwere gi ahu ugbua before mmadu agbafusie.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by nduchucks: 5:58pm On Mar 15, 2010
una no dey tire? Eziachi don post the same quotes for another thread wey been almost start another war sef.

i don tire of many posters claiming directly or indirectly say dem get good motives, while posting incendiary and highly inflammatory statements, wey no get objective, except to ferment trouble. de kind posts wey dey here go always lead to cyber tribal battles.

@OP try answer these questions, biko.

(1)Could Biafra have survived to this day?

(2)Where did the Biafran war of survival go wrong?

(3)Did Ojukwu fight for Biafrans or for his personal interests?

(4)Is there any way that the Biafran secession could have been avoided?

(5)What role did the eastern minorities play in the Biafran struggle?

(6)Who actually killed Nzeogwu, Nigerian federal forces or a group of envious Biafrans?

(7)Did Biafran and Nigerian federal forces swap foods, women, and ammunition?

(coolWhat should be done to the living Biafran war criminals? (war criminals exist in every war)

(9)Where did the Biafran war leave the people of Eastern Nigeria? Is there any way out of it?

(10)To what extent did the Biafran army use chemical weapons in strategic battles?

(11)How effective were the Biafran-made weapons of mass destruction (Ogbunigwe and Flying Ogbunigwe) and self-guided surface-to-air missiles?

(12)What deal did Cameroon and Nigeria make to facilitate Biafra's defeat

(13)What deal did China and Biafra make and why did it fail to materialize?

(14)Did Biafrans destroy the Nigerian 2nd Div. by sheer chance or by some form of advanced warheads developed in secrecy?

(15)How and why did Biafran soldiers kill fellow Biafran soldiers?

i believe say, if people find or provide honest and accurate answers to my questions, e go help the healing process. i get more questions, but i dey wait for intellectuals make dey handle these 15 first.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by asha80(m): 5:59pm On Mar 15, 2010
agabaI23:

Jee rie nsi egwere egwe. I dika udene mmili malu. I gaghi emechi onu ngwere gi ahu ugbua before mmadu agbafusie.

shocked  shocked  grin

EzeUche i can see you like steering controversy.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by asha80(m): 6:03pm On Mar 15, 2010
ndu_chucks:

una no dey tire? Eziachi don post the same quotes for another thread wey been almost start another war sef.

i don tire of many posters claiming directly or indirectly say dem get good motives, while posting incendiary and highly inflammatory statements, wey no get objective, except to ferment trouble. de kind posts wey dey here go always lead to cyber tribal battles.

(6)Who actually killed Nzeogwu, Nigerian federal forces or a group of envious Biafrans?

(coolWhat should be done to the living Biafran war criminals? (war criminals exist in every war)

(9)Where did the Biafran war leave the people of Eastern Nigeria? Is there any way out of it?

(10)To what extent did the Biafran army use chemical weapons in strategic battles?

(11)How effective were the Biafran-made weapons of mass destruction (Ogbunigwe and Flying Ogbunigwe) and self-guided surface-to-air missiles?

(14)Did Biafrans destroy the Nigerian 2nd Div. by sheer chance or by some form of advanced warheads developed in secrecy?

i believe say, if people find or provide honest and accurate answers to my questions, e go help the healing process. i get more questions, but i dey wait for intellectuals make dey handle these 15 first.

For asking the bolded questions you have now made me to join Onlytruth and Beaf to see u as a diversionary
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Katsumoto: 6:05pm On Mar 15, 2010
ndu_chucks:

i believe say, if people find or provide honest and accurate answers to my questions, e go help the healing process.  i get more questions, but i dey wait for intellectuals make dey handle these 15 first.

I have read that he was killed by Charles Chandler in cold blood after he was captured. Chandler himself died the following day.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by cold(m): 6:25pm On Mar 15, 2010
Obasanjo to an audience in Bayelsa as president

"The entire nation fought a bitter 30-month civil war to ensure that the resources of the nation are kept intact. Since the whole country fought for it, it would be wrong now to allow a few people to control the resources of the country simply because it is within their territory. This is unfair." President Obasanjo's statement was illogical, unacceptable and meaningless. The reference to the civil war was in bad faith. It was also misleading. Continuing on the civil war theme, President Obasanjo said: "The Biafran war was more of a war for resource control , If Nigeria had lost, that man (Emeka Ojukwu) would have cancelled Rivers State which gave birth to Bayelsa. If Ojukwu had won, I know I would be dead by now and so many other people would be dead, too."

It is regrettable that Obasanjo should be breathing the fire of the civil war more than 30 years after the end of the war. Obasanjo's statement was irresponsible, highly mischievous, irascible, irreverent, un-presidential, reckless, misleading and an exercise in political chicanery. Not only did Obasanjo give a wrong account of the reasons for the civil war (in which he participated), he also personalised the war as a confrontation between himself and Emeka Ojukwu. Obasanjo does not wish to learn from history. After taking the flak for presenting himself as the invincible warrior in his much-reviled book My Command Obasanjo ought to realise that being egotistical is next to being self-conceited.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 15, 2010
and here is the summary:

Nigeria is not one country!
Nigeria has never been one country!
And after all these years, it is obvious that Nigeria might never be one country. And if anybody is in doubt, ask the Berons of Plataue State.

Now is the time to sit down and negotiate Nigeria.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Dede1(m): 7:12pm On Mar 15, 2010
ndu_chucks:

These are baseless questions and hypothetical at best. I hope that mere mention of Biafra is not driving some people uncontrollably nuts. The poster of these questions was neither in Biafra nor Aba-made scientist as to discern the correct intentions of the answers. Effectiveness of some of the weapons tabulated in the post could be verified from the Nigerian soldiers that bore the brunt of the wicked effects of such technology.

Nigeria-Biafra civil war had unfortunately become part of history and must be visited as often as possible by the principals. If the said endeavor robs you the wrong way, I suggest you visit a beer parlor.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by nduchucks: 7:22pm On Mar 15, 2010
Dede1:

These are baseless questions and hypothetical at best. I hope that mere mention of Biafra is not driving some people uncontrollably nuts. The poster of these questions was neither in Biafra nor Aba-made scientist as to discern the correct intentions of the answers. Effectiveness of some of the weapons tabulated in the post could be verified from the Nigerian soldiers that bore the brunt of the wicked effects of such technology.

Nigeria-Biafra civil war had unfortunately become part of history and must be visited as often as possible by the principals. If the said endeavor robs you the wrong way, I suggest you visit a beer parlor.

I'm yet to see you shy away from answering difficult questions and would appreciate your answers to any of the one posed. I dey wait.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Kay17: 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2010
there are no civilities in warfare. feeding the enemy while fighting them is an irony. the ethnic group chose to be enemies of Nigeria and you blame a casualty on tribalism? after the war, the region was peaceful integrated with the rest of the country, no genocides or repressions. ojukwu simply left his people in the arms of the wolves.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Afam(m): 7:46pm On Mar 15, 2010
Kay 17:

there are no civilities in warfare. feeding the enemy while fighting them is an irony. the ethnic group chose to be enemies of Nigeria and you blame a casualty on tribalism? after the war, the region was peaceful integrated with the rest of the country, no genocides or repressions. ojukwu simply left his people in the arms of the wolves.

What is the minimum age stated for people wanting to sign up on this forum again?
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by EzeUche(m): 8:05pm On Mar 15, 2010
Kay 17:

Foolish person. Sounds very Nazi like. That is why I want round 2 on an equal playing field, and we will see who is the weakest ethnic group in Nigeria.  angry angry angry

My machete against your neck would be very nice.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by Kay17: 1:56pm On Mar 20, 2010
Afam:

What is the minimum age stated for people wanting to sign up on this forum again?
this forum is not for narrow-minded idi*ts like you.
EzeUche:

Foolish person. Sounds very Nazi like. That is why I want round 2 on an equal playing field, and we will see who is the weakest ethnic group in Nigeria. angry angry angry

My machete against your neck would be very nice.
it was an unnecessary conflict instigated by power-hungry Ojukwu, through tribal considerations manipulated the Ibos to break away. Still, his rationale was defeated since there wasn't a genocide after their capitulation. besides, tribalism leads us nowhere, it does not solve our problems of poverty, illteracy or corruption. fighting against ourselves for the benefits of political godfathers and lords, is counterproductive.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by gowaga68: 7:41pm On Feb 24, 2011
thank you all. this is an eye opening post keep posting.
Re: Requiem Biafra - Quotes from the War by EzeUche2(m): 7:46pm On Feb 24, 2011
I remember this thread very well.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ta Orji's Son Chinedu Nominated Minister By Abia Pdp. Lwkmd. / BREAKING NEWS: PDP Clears Clara Chime For Abia House Of Reps Contest / Children Deserve Proper Care, Says Enugu Governor's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.