Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? (8006 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by afrobaby(f): 10:59am On Mar 15, 2010
closed
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 15, 2010
mm
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by KunleOshob(m): 12:12pm On Mar 15, 2010
Redeemed operates a business structure that demands 100% of tithes must be remitted to the head office. I guess that's what they charge for allowing you to use their strong brand name to fleece the flock.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by KunleOshob(m): 12:23pm On Mar 15, 2010
Tithes in the RCCG high command is taken very seriously, they actually have auditors they send to their branches and franchise holders to ensure that all tithes collected are well accounted for and fully remitted to the head office. This is obviously becos there is no trust amongst them. [Even amongst thieves there is honour] but not in the case of RCCG. Their cup would soon be full, a racket can't last forever.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Mortiple(m): 5:08pm On Mar 15, 2010
KunleOshob:

Redeemed operates a business structure that demands 100% of tithes must be remitted to the head office. I guess that's what they charge for allowing you to use their strong brand name to fleece the flock.

Yes, you are correct to say that 100% Tithes are remitted to the Headquarters. What you do not know is that 20% - 30% of total tithe usually go back to the Parishes as REBATE, while the Province keeps 20%. If the Rebate does not get to the Parish for whatever reason, then the Provincial and/or Area Headquarters should be held accountable.

konfessor:

it's only a matter of time b4 the truth is rrvealed and we are all liberated from all the lies.
when pastor bakare said it they labeled him a roubble rouser.

The Ministry is over 55 years old already, so tell me, when will "the truth" (you are longing for) be revealed? What will 'the Truth" be? 5 Million members will definitely not be wrong! Wake up people!

1 Like

Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by REALTRUTH1: 5:19pm On Mar 15, 2010
Mortiple:

Yes, you are correct to say that 100% Tithes are remitted to the Headquarters. What you do not know is that 20% - 30% of total tithe usually go back to the Parishes as REBATE, while the Province keeps 20%. If the Rebate does not get to the Parish for whatever reason, then the Provincial and/or Area Headquarters should be held accountable. The Ministry is over 55 years old already, so tell me, when will "the truth" (you are longing for) be revealed? What will 'the Truth" be? 5 Million members will definitely not be wrong! Wake up people!
What about the Billions of people in China,India and rest of Asia who think you people re wrong,,,or what about the tens of millions of the denomination of christians who think you and ur 5million people re wrong,,,,
Now here is question for you,,,Why is it most senior Pastors re either criminals or have criminal tendencies? e.g
1.Pastor Bunmi Oni 2.Area Pastor Erastus Akingbola 3.Regional/International Pastor Wale Adebajo 4.There was a Provincial Pastor who died in a plane crash in Abuja who stole several Billions from RMARC and he had 2wives,,,,also so many scandals the ears can not even comprehend,,,,
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Dolemite(f): 6:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
Mortiple:

5 Million members will definitely not be wrong! Wake up people!

About 200 million people worship buddha, are they right?
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by viaro: 7:40pm On Mar 15, 2010
afrobaby:

is tithe not meant to be used in the church? Why do we have to pay tithes, pay offering and still pay some other offerings again, [pls someone should explain to me

It should be obvious that something is wrong here (not wrong with you, afrobaby - but certainly wrong with the system asking all these "payments"wink. I've wondered about all these things, because my experience is quite different from what many people express about the widespread Nigerian situation on tithes and all other types and shades of offering 'payments'.

While trying to understand the Nigerian scenario in these types of 'payments', I was struck with the fact that quite a handful of obligations are factored out to be met by congregants:

Tithe :
Worship Offering :
Thanksgiving Offering :
Free Will Offering :
Missions Support :
First Fruit :
G.O. Partners Support :
Others (Please specify) :

 Special Occasion offering :
 Special Project offering (e.g., Rapsody of reality offering) :
 Special Visitation offering (so-and-so is coming to town) :
 Seed-sowing offering :
 Faith offering :
 Building Project/Improvement offering :
 etc.-etc. offering (part 1)
 etc.-etc. offering (part 2)
 Normal Church offering (this is always at the bottom) :

Now, of course, not all that are listed above applies to any single church at the same time. However, the first eight listed (highlighted in purple) are what obtains in RCCG. You can see a sample online here.

It is not that simple as if there are only eight "payment" schemes as listed and highlighted above in the RRCG. Some of those particular schemes are elaborated into groups where specific amounts are determined (and advertised) so that payers can then find where they fit into. An example of such an elaboration is the collection scheme called "RCCG Covenant Partners". I'll let them speak directly from [url=http://]themselves[/url]:

[list]Welcome to RCCG Covenant Partners Page. This page is for special people who have decided to partner with Daddy GO, Pastor E. A. Adeboye in the work of the Lord. The Covenant Partner Group is divided into the following categories.

Group 1
Fasting and prayer for 20 days for 3 months in a year; February, July and December either 14 days all through or 10 days breaking at 6.00pm and 10 days continuous for the next 10 years.

Group 2
Manual Labour at the Camp for 60 days in a year i.e. January – July, February - August, March - September etc for the next 10 year or payment of $500.00 (N60,000) per annum.

Group 3
Payment of $7,500.00 (1 Million Naira) per year for the next 10 year.

Group 4
Payment of $75,000.00 (10 million Naira) per year for the next 10 years

Group 5
Daily fasting and prayer for the whole of February, July and December excluding 25th of December for the next 10 years.

Group 6
Payment of $100 - $1,000. (N1,000 – N100,000 Naira) for the next 10 years with one day fasting and prayer per week.

Group 7
The combination of all Group i.e. Fasting and Prayer, Manual Labour and $7,500.00 (N1 Million Naira) for the next 10 years.[/list]

well, of course, you will at this time be reading and hearing things like: "it is not by force - it is their choice". Hang on ... who says this is all about "choice"? Just click on the 'Make A Donation' icon on the lefthand and you will find the catch-22: "The monthly obligation of our work is increasing with added responsibilities each passing month."

Yes, it is a "monthly obligation" - which probably explains why you MUST "pay" up ... or else, you know you will end up in HELL according to the RCCG doctrine on tithes.

Do I hear more loud screams from RCCG? I didn't write out the "payment" schemes for RCCG, so please check yourself before tearing out your hair.

Disclaimer: I have loads of friends in RCCG, and observing these things does not mean I was looking to hurt anyone. As my fav Arab proverb has it: "Examine what is said, not him who speaks." In KJV style, that would read as: 'examine that which is spoken, not he that speaketh!'
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Mudley313: 3:05am On Mar 16, 2010
Welcome to RCCG Covenant Partners Page.  This page is for special people who have decided to partner with Daddy GO, Pastor E. A. Adeboye in the work of the Lord.  The Covenant Partner Group is divided into the following categories.

Group 1
Fasting and prayer for 20 days for 3 months in a year; February, July and December either 14 days all through or 10 days breaking at 6.00pm and 10 days continuous for the next 10 years.

Group 2
Manual Labour at the Camp for 60 days in a year i.e. January – July, February - August, March - September etc for the next 10 year or payment of $500.00 (N60,000) per annum.

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5
Daily fasting and prayer for the whole of February, July and December excluding 25th of December for the next 10 years.

Group 6
Payment of $100 - $1,000. (N1,000 – N100,000 Naira) for the next 10 years with one day fasting and prayer per week.

Group 7
The combination of all Group i.e. Fasting and Prayer, Manual Labour and $7,500.00 (N1 Million Naira) for the next 10 years.

shocked shocked  shocked  shocked  shocked   shocked yahoo-yahoo aint got sh.t on dis. daylight robbery in d name of the lord. smh
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by afiq(m): 3:49am On Mar 16, 2010
RCCG is a brand. There u have it! grin grin grin
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Odunnu: 5:03am On Mar 16, 2010
afrobaby:

I was at the redemption camp on friday for the first time and what I saw was really amazing, the place is so big and I thought I was in another city entirely.
I worship in a small redeem church in Lagos. I got to know that all the tithes we pay in the other (small) churches/ Parishes of redeem are taken to the headquarters. My church does not have windows and we are even planning to build the children church and it amazes me that despite the fact that tithes are paid every sunday, they still ask for money towards building, Can't we use the tithes paid to meet the needs of the church?
is tithe not meant to be used in the church? Why do we have to pay tithes, pay offering and still pay some other offerings again, [pls someone should explain to me

[/quote
Who cares what you guys do with your money and why wud it be here that you'l ask ur question,it tells me there is a very wicked ulterior motive you have behind,judging by the undertone.Y do xtians around here act this foolishly?
Now,they have started dissecting redeemed,yesterday it was Christembassy,2mro smbdy would pick HOTR y r u guys acting like this?
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by InesQor(m): 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2010
viaro:

It should be obvious that something is wrong here (not wrong with you, afrobaby - but certainly wrong with the system asking all these "payments"wink. I've wondered about all these things, because my experience is quite different from what many people express about the widespread Nigerian situation on tithes and all other types and shades of offering 'payments'.

While trying to understand the Nigerian scenario in these types of 'payments', I was struck with the fact that quite a handful of obligations are factored out to be met by congregants:

Tithe :
Worship Offering :
Thanksgiving Offering :
Free Will Offering :
Missions Support :
First Fruit :
G.O. Partners Support :
Others (Please specify) :

 Special Occasion offering :
 Special Project offering (e.g., Rapsody of reality offering) :
 Special Visitation offering (so-and-so is coming to town) :
 Seed-sowing offering :
 Faith offering :
 Building Project/Improvement offering :
 etc.-etc. offering (part 1)
 etc.-etc. offering (part 2)
 Normal Church offering (this is always at the bottom) :

Now, of course, not all that are listed above applies to any single church at the same time. However, the first eight listed (highlighted in purple) are what obtains in RCCG. You can see a sample online here.

It is not that simple as if there are only eight "payment" schemes as listed and highlighted above in the RRCG. Some of those particular schemes are elaborated into groups where specific amounts are determined (and advertised) so that payers can then find where they fit into. An example of such an elaboration is the collection scheme called "RCCG Covenant Partners". I'll let them speak directly from [url=http://]themselves[/url]:

[list]Welcome to RCCG Covenant Partners Page. This page is for special people who have decided to partner with Daddy GO, Pastor E. A. Adeboye in the work of the Lord. The Covenant Partner Group is divided into the following categories.

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

Group 4

Group 5

Group 6

Group 7
The combination of all Group i.e. Fasting and Prayer, Manual Labour and $7,500.00 (N1 Million Naira) for the next 10 years.[/list]

well, of course, you will at this time be reading and hearing things like: "it is not by force - it is their choice". Hang on ... who says this is all about "choice"? Just click on the 'Make A Donation' icon on the lefthand and you will find the catch-22: "The monthly obligation of our work is increasing with added responsibilities each passing month."

Yes, it is a "monthly obligation" - which probably explains why you MUST "pay" up ... or else, you know you will end up in HELL according to the RCCG doctrine on tithes.

Do I hear more loud screams from RCCG? I didn't write out the "payment" schemes for RCCG, so please check yourself before tearing out your hair.

Disclaimer: I have loads of friends in RCCG, and observing these things does not mean I was looking to hurt anyone. As my fav Arab proverb has it: "Examine what is said, not him who speaks." In KJV style, that would read as: 'examine that which is spoken, not he that speaketh!'

The truth expressed in viaro's posts above, with valid proof on the RCCG payment portal. . . it just breaks my heart! cry cry cry

This world don pafuka finish sad cry
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by noetic16(m): 10:38pm On Mar 16, 2010
@ ALL

how do u reconcile all of this to the fact RCCG is one of the very few churches that emphasizes on holiness?
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by REALTRUTH1: 10:56pm On Mar 16, 2010
noetic16:

@ ALL
how do u reconcile all of this to the fact RCCG is one of the very few churches that emphasizes on holiness?
@Noetic,,,Its not about emphasizing on Holiness,,,its about practising Holiness,,,why can't RCCG be like Deeper Life if truly they re emphasizing on Holiness,,,
RCCG has double standard(two sets of church),,,one is called classical and the other is called model parishes,,,however,,the model parishes seems to have overwhelmed the classical and as a result everybody wants to be in model parish because it actually attracts the worldly and the unholly,,,which is what Christ for though,,,
But my question is why would a church have two sets or standard one for the world,,,and the other for outward Holy people,,,
The sad and painful truth is that RCCG needs to go back from where it actually started from,,,we ve a situation in RCCG where a good number of their pastors re not even Born-Again,,,that forms the reason why some of the pastors ve 2 wives,,some re even criminals ,,,abeg forget story man,,,,
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by afiq(m): 10:59pm On Mar 16, 2010
@ noetic

the only 'holiness' the RCCG emphasizes is $$$money money money$$$ been there done that, i know their crap!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by InesQor(m): 11:01pm On Mar 16, 2010
sad No church holy pass
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by afiq(m): 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2010
@ REALTRUTH

See, they even have a double standard thang  cheesy cheesy may be RCCG have double standard doctrine as well  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed who knows  wink
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by noetic16(m): 11:04pm On Mar 16, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

@Noetic,,,Its not about emphasizing on Holiness,,,its about practising Holiness,,,why can't RCCG be like Deeper Life if truly they re emphasizing on Holiness,,,
RCCG has double standard(two sets of church),,,one is called classical and the other is called model parishes,,,however,,the model parishes seems to have overwhelmed the classical and as a result everybody wants to be in model parish because it actually attracts the worldly and the unholly,,,which is what Christ for though,,,
But my question is why would a church have two sets or standard one for the world,,,and the other for outward Holy people,,,
The sad and painful truth is that RCCG needs to go back from where it actually started from,,,we ve a situation in RCCG where a good number of their pastors re not even Born-Again,,,that forms the reason why some of the pastors ve 2 wives,,some re even criminals ,,,abeg forget story man,,,,

I get ur point. . , . . .but can we say that a church is responsible for its members behaviour?. . ultimately the life each individual member lives remains their choice. , .  . .but the inactions of pastors cannot be excused.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by noetic16(m): 11:05pm On Mar 16, 2010
afiq:

@ noetic

the only 'holiness' the RCCG emphasizes is $$$money money money$$$ been there done that, i know their crap!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

RCCG's financial policies and inactions is sickening. . . I am tempted to think Adeboye is not the financial head of the church.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by REALTRUTH1: 11:19pm On Mar 16, 2010
noetic16:

RCCG's financial policies and inactions is sickening. . . I am tempted to think Adeboye is not the financial head of the church.
You seems to be a nice person to ve a conversation with,,,There is no controversy about the fact that Jesus is Lord,,,however,, there is a lot of controversy about the fact that the church(Christianity or popular penterascality) is questionable,,,One other thing is that why is the GO keeping quite about all the inactions in the church,,,as for me am done with religiousity and worshiping of man of God,,,,I have a relationship with God through Jesus christ,,,Most so called men of God re a dissappointment to christianity,,,in real sense,,,many of us re better than they re,,,
For instance,,how could any Bishop or GO tell you that the only way you can avoid the recession is for you to continue to pay ur TITHE,,,,is Tithe the only language these people understand??
How do you want to reconcile such assertion with the plights of many christians that has been paying TITHE yet they lost their jobs as a result of the criminal activities of a Senior pastor who doubles as a Bank MD,,,,,,People should just for once use their thinking cap,,,
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Joagbaje(m): 8:35am On Mar 17, 2010
@ all

Nobody is forced into any giving in Gods house, People that gives are the one benefiting.

Acts 20:35
It is more blessed to give than to receive.

It is not the place of any person to judge the policy of any Churc, If you dont like it, ask for clarity based on the bible, if you are not satisfied, GET OUT! OF THAT PLACE BEFORE YOU DESTROY YOUSELF. Stop the ridicle of men of God , It does not edify anybody. You should make contributios that edify the church. Even if you feel the overseer is wrong, it is between him and God.

Romans 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

You should not discourage the commitments of people to God just because you dont like the way of the leader. This is based on lack of understanding of scriptures. Jesus had Issues with jewish leaders but yet he encouraged people to listen to what they teach only that they should become like them.Never put yourself in pathway of judgement like some ignorant people.

Matthew 23:2-3
Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: [3] All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

The forum that should have been instrumental for soulwinning is now being used to attack the body of Chris. while the devil is laughing his way out.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by viaro: 10:44am On Mar 17, 2010
Joagbaje:

Nobody is forced into any giving in Gods house, People that gives are the one benefiting.

I already anticipated people like you would be making such excuses -

viaro:

well, of course, you will at this time be reading and hearing things like: "it is not by force - it is their choice".

@Joagbaje, when you say that "nobody is forced", have you considered what is meant by "obligatory"? Please go and carefully consider this before you assert what you have no clue about.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by nuella2(f): 4:33pm On Mar 17, 2010
@viaro
You said you are not against giving in churches, so what are you against just curious. We need to preach this gospel on television, internet, satelite, print and any possible means. God gave his best for us, so what can a christian give that can be too much. Even poor people gave thier very last in the bible, people sold thier properties in the early church. The riches of the christian is to finance the kingdom of God, i dont believe in building mansions here and let the work of God suffer. Afterall we are strangers here, this is not our home. Jesus is coming soon and we need to tell everybody about him and our money is involved. So should we only give when is convenient?  the remnants? or just give little and eat the rest? How and when should a christian give?  can a christian give too much as long as he is doing so willingly?

1 Like

Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by REALTRUTH1: 4:59pm On Mar 17, 2010
nuella2:

@viaroYou said you are not against giving in churches, so what are you against just curious. We need to preach this gospel on television, internet, satelite, print and any possible means. God gave his best for us, so what can a christian give that can be too much. Even poor people gave thier very last in the bible, people sold thier properties in the early church. The riches of the christian is to finance the kingdom of God, i dont believe in building mansions here and let the work of God suffer. Afterall we are strangers here, this is not our home. Jesus is coming soon and we need to tell everybody about him and our money is involved. So should we only give when is convenient? the remnants? or just give little and eat the rest? How and when should a christian give? can a christian give too much as long as he is doing so willingly?
Its that kind of giving that made Erastus Akingbola to defraud Intercontinental Bank and bought Jet for his pastor,,thesame kind of giving made international senior pastor of RCCG in London to defraud even his church members and now been declared wanted by Nigeria and british authority.Thesame stupendous giving made Pastor Bunmi Oni to run down Cadbury as the MD.
Lets not deceive ourselves,,,the CHURCH needs to back to where it actually started,,,this is to me is not christianity,,,its nothingg but a man made religion,,,,
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by REALTRUTH1: 5:19pm On Mar 17, 2010
@JOAGBAJE
Romans 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
You should not discourage the commitments of people to God just because you dont like the way of the leader. This is based on lack of understanding of scriptures. Jesus had Issues with jewish leaders but yet he encouraged people to listen to what they teach only that they should become like them.Never put yourself in pathway of judgement like some ignorant people.

What happened to where the scripture said we should search all SPIRITS,,what also happened to the BAREAN CHRISTIAN who after receiving message or ministration,,they would go back to the scripture to search if its true or not? You say do not judge,,the basis and the reason for the PROLIFERATION OF PENTERASCALS MOVEMENT is strictly on JUDGEMENT,,Otherwise why do we ve PFN and CAN as separate bodies representing CHRISTIANS? Why is it PFN re JUDGING TB JOSHUA and OYAKHILOME??
The sad truth is that too many things re wrong with RCCG,,if U re a member of RCCG and do not see these things wrong,,,then nothing in this world can be wrong in ur eyes,,,How in world do you want to validate what was on the of RCCG as regards all kinds of giving,,first fruit giving etc,,,,Abeg make person hear word jare!!!
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by afrobaby(f): 5:32pm On Mar 17, 2010
Mortiple:

Yes, you are correct to say that 100% Tithes are remitted to the Headquarters.  What you do not know is that 20% - 30% of total tithe usually go back to the Parishes as REBATE, while the Province keeps 20%.  If the Rebate does not get to the Parish for whatever reason, then the  Provincial and/or Area Headquarters should be held accountable.

So u are saying the remaining 50% goes to the headquarters, dont we have members worshipping at the headquarters, do they not pay tithes, why should they take it to the headquarters again, the problem I think we have is this, most christians behaves as if we dont know anything except what the pastor sayd.
When pastor says ur white handkerchief is black, every body will shout halleluyah, but really, u know deep down its not black,

Joagbaje:

The forum that should have been instrumental for soul winning is now being used to attack the body of Chris. while the devil is laughing his way out.

When do u think devil will not laugh, is it not when we keep quiet that he will laugh the more, we complain about leaders in politics, we criticise them , why , just that they can amend there ways and understand that we are no fools, no one is perfect, not even one, so if its a mistake or negligence on dia part, they should correct it, I dont want to judge, i still attend redeem, but sad to say this, its like most churches are more or less like business centres than place of worship.
Why do they always tell us to come out when we want to give tithes, is it to encourage people to do the same or to show off to people or to lket people know those that are gainfully employed in the house, I believe it doesnt have to be so announced and emphasized, its for God, do I need to tell the whole church I want to give God money, money that he was the one that gave me and he never announced it.
I think what should be done is this, let every church manage the affairs of itself from the tithes paid by the members. we have so many people in the church that are hungry, let there be food for them,  too much emphasis should not be placed on offerings, many people feel bad when they call offering time and they dont have to give.
Please, lets not force some innocent people into stealing or illegal acts because of offerings
thank you
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by viaro: 5:44pm On Mar 17, 2010
nuella2:

@viaro
You said you are not against giving in churches, so what are you against just curious. We need to preach this gospel on television, internet, satelite, print and any possible means. God gave his best for us, so what can a christian give that can be too much. Even poor people gave thier very last in the bible, people sold thier properties in the early church. The riches of the christian is to finance the kingdom of God, i dont believe in building mansions here and let the work of God suffer. Afterall we are strangers here, this is not our home. Jesus is coming soon and we need to tell everybody about him and our money is involved. So should we only give when is convenient?  the remnants? or just give little and eat the rest? How and when should a christian give?  can a christian give too much as long as he is doing so willingly?

Thank you, nuella 2.

Indeed, viaro is not against giving. In very fact, I would encourage Christians to give to further the Gospel and most importantly to care for the needy in the Body of Christ.

However, what I stand against is the manner of giving where it becomes compulsory, obligatory or coerced in one form or another. We cannot deny that the NT is clear about this - that Christian giving should NOT be 'by force', or 'under compulsion', or 'obligatory' in any manner (2 Cor. 9:7).

I do not mean to harm anybody, trust me. Yet, we are very well admonished to be on the look out for those who use fair speeches to make merchandise of God's people (2 Peter 2:3). We should not support schemes that turn the Father's house into "an house of merchandise" (John 2:16).

In spite of these simple verses above, many pastors and leaders have found very subtle ways of preaching a 'commercial gospel' to their congregations. They do so by setting up various kinds of "payment schemes" and put on some sort of "duty stamp" on them. The whole thing assumes a 'legalised' scheme to the point that it becomes a sort of 'visa' to heaven. In simple terms, salvation is no longer free in such churches but must be 'purchased' by all under their canopy!

You don't have to look very far to recognize these "payment schemes" that commercialize the salvation of Christ. I'll give you very simple examples of what I mean -

RCCG SA II Region:

Tithe and Offering
Regular payment of tithe and offering is obligatory because it is God's command. It is God's way of providing for the Ministers in the Church. The ministers and other church employees are paid their food, allowance through tithe. The offering is used to cater for the needy in the Church. Tithe and Offering must be paid on every income e.g. salary, profit from business transaction, gifts, etc. Mal. 3:8-12; Gen. 14:19-20; Num. 18:20-21; Deut. 26:12-13; Lev. 27:30; Heb. 7:2-5; I Cor. 16:2; Matt. 23:23. Tithe is exclusively for the minister's welfare.

(1)  The Redeemed Christian Church of God, South Africa II Region

(2)  Also the RCCG Netherlands Mission

As if making tithe payments a regular affair on every single income (salary, business, gifts, etc) is not enough, or the "exclusive" factor stamped with assurance for "minister's welfare" not enough, you should know that failure to fulfill this "obligatory" payment will determine your place in HELL. See this study (a doctoral dissertation by Asonzeh Franklin-Kennedy UKAH, University of Bayreuth, pages 177-178 [PDF document]) -

Asonzeh Franklin-Kennedy UKAH:
The church’s Constitution specifies that members of the church “are expected to give tithes of their income towards the general purposes of the church” (art. 23; ii). Adeboye has, however, reinterpreted this provision in the light of his understanding of the scriptures and directs that revenue from tithe be exclusively devoted to the welfare of ministers of the church.
For the church, tithe and tithing is so central that it is a prerequisite for entering into heavenYou do not pay your tithe, you do not go to Heaven”.235  Those who cut or jump tithes are called “children of perdition” who will end up in the devil's house where there is a great deal of fire.236  The reason why they will end up in hell is that there are no robbers in heaven and cutting tithes is an act of robbery against God, the church and the ministers.237
_________

footnote:

235  Adeboye, Behold He Cometh, op cit., p.25

236  Adeboye, The Son of Perdition, Lagos: CRM, n.d., p. 15

237  Tithe collection is a form of taxation. However, the ministers are not accountable to the people from whose taxes they are paid their salaries. Since the church is not a democratic institution, it has no position that requires voting or being voted for, or structure that articulates the problems or  opinions of the laity. The RCCG as an institution thus represents a typical case of taxation without representation.

There are far too many examples I can give you where the RCCG taxes believers in very subtle ways. Many people are quite familiar with the example above, and it is chosen here to illustrate why this "payment scheme" for heaven is nothing short of a perverse gospel that sells redemption to people.

One cannot but ask: what has happened to the vicarious work of the Lord Jesus Christ that freely and completely saves a believer? Is redemption now a thing to be bought and sold in such subtle language?

What is even far more heinous is that believers in their millions are happy to be duped by such subtle 'payment schemes' - a sort of taxation that turns the Father's house into 'a house of merchandise'. Those who turn a blind eye to these perversion and excuse it away with such clichés like 'touch not mine anointed and do my prophet no harm'. As long as we keep mute and applaud these perversion in religious language, these "tax payment schemes" will continue to be peddled by the "exclusive ministers" who sell redemption to the public in their various camps.

I do not mean to hurt anyone. However, we cannot close our eyes to any scheme that sells redemption to any believer in whatever religious and 'spiritual' forms. May we have the boldness of faith with Peter to declare to these 'exclusive ministers': "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money"  (Acts 8:20).
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by Enigma(m): 6:35pm On Mar 17, 2010
Tithe and Offering
Regular payment of tithe and offering is obligatory because it is God's command. It is God's way of providing for the Ministers in the Church. The ministers and other church employees are paid their food, allowance through tithe. The offering is used to cater for the needy in the Church. Tithe and Offering must be paid on every income e.g. salary, profit from business transaction, gifts, etc. Mal. 3:8-12; Gen. 14:19-20; Num. 18:20-21; Deut. 26:12-13; Lev. 27:30; Heb. 7:2-5; I Cor. 16:2; Matt. 23:23. Tithe is exclusively for the minister's welfare.
(all emphases added --- not original)

The above used to be on the main RCCG (i.e. central/global rccg.org) website for years; I notice it has been removed from the "Fundamental Belief" (sic) section. In the early days of the web some of us attacked it strenuously in web debates. I wonder how long before the rest of the RCCG websites (such as South Africa and Netherlands above and etc) also take it off; if they do, don't be deceived, they will have only gone underground with it; internally they will still be fleecing their flock with both subtle and strong arm tactics.
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by KunleOshob(m): 6:55pm On Mar 17, 2010
@viaro
For the past couple of months, i see you have changed your tone on this issue of tithes, you are welcome to this side of the divide. I also applaud your courage to stand for the truth as far as christian giving is concerned.  wink
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by viaro: 7:28pm On Mar 17, 2010
^^KunleOshob,

Please don't mind me. My stance may seem to have 'changed' only because I had been discussing with you guys largely on my ignorance on the Nigerian situation. I never realised how very serious and widespread this situation is in the Nigerian landscape even in large churches, but what is wrong is clearly wrong. undecided

_________

^^Enigma,

Very good observation - this:

Enigma:

I wonder how long before the rest of the RCCG websites (such as South Africa and Netherlands above and etc) also take it off; if they do, don't be deceived, they will have only gone underground with it; internally they will still be fleecing their flock with both subtle and strong arm tactics.

You may be closer to the truth than I could imagine. Although this is not about bad-mouthing people for being members of the RCCG, it is not out of place to highlight what is questionable in the Body of Christ. I might be fortunate to fellowship in a Baptist church where I live in the UK, and if my own denomination is practising just about the same thing, I should stand to expose and frown on such tendency as well without favour.

Since the New Year 2010, I began looking at the Nigerian situation - whether churches within or those outside with a Nigerian connection. It just breaks my heart what I found. Sample this article by Pastor S.O.L Awobode from the Oyo Province 1 (emphasis mine) -

Pastor S.O.L Awobode:
2. Tithe: You need to sow your tithe. Your tithe is just 10% of your total earning, be it daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly, the rest belongs to you. Mal.3;10 says “bring ye all the tithes into the store house that there may be meat in my house and prove me now herewith saith the Lord of host if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out blessing that there shall not be room to receive it”. Many thought that when they give their tithe it is the pastor that will spend it therefore they determine not to give it. Your responsibility stops where you obey God by paying the tithe, leave the rest to God to determine and judge. Everybody that steals God’s money god knows how to deal with him or her.

http://rccgvictoryarea.org/keys.htm

Notice the 'subtle and strong arm tactics' there. The official tithe doctrine of RCCG explicitly states that tithes are exclusively for the minister's welfare; but in the article above, pastor Awobode in the blue highlighted part tries to excuse the fact by saying "Many thought that when they give their tithe it is the pastor that will spend it therefore they determine not to give it." For pete's sakes, of course it is the pastors that will spend it - that is official "duty stamp" of RCCG tithe doctrine! angry

What amazes me is this: do RCCG members on Nairaland know anything about these matters? What would any believer say when his/her pastor/MOG is teaching that tithing is a prerequisite to heaven {“You do not pay your tithe, you do not go to Heaven”}?!?
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by ogajim(m): 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2010
This is interesting, I've held this belief about this Church for a while now and this further shows that I am not alone in my thoughts. Over EMPHASIS on money is not Christianity knowing fully well that Jesus Christ GAVE IT ALL FOR FREE.

This Business SCHEME go crash soon ooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tithes In Redeemed Church, What Do U Think? by noetic16(m): 7:49pm On Mar 17, 2010
KunleOshob:

@viaro
For the past couple of months, i see you have changed your tone on this issue of tithes, you are welcome to this side of the divide. I also appluad your courage to stand for the truth as far as christian giving is concerned. wink

1. I was tempted to think that u had abandoned the forum . . . .I was going to set up a search party. . .lol. nice to see u around.
please dont stop ur exposure on false doctrines regardless of the perceived persecution.

2. One lesson to learn from ur last exchange with viaro is that our differences are limited to issues and not personality. you would be surprised as to how many people who have openly antagonised u, are giving a second thought to ur arguments.

3. Nairaland is not for egoic debates but for education, enlightenment and information. . . u had be surprised as to how much I have learnt from this forum.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? / Mecca In The Bible / Let's Stop Joking With Hell Fire!!! - By Sunday Akanni Moshood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.