Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? (3201 Views)

Minister Of Defence Dan Ali In Russia / Nigeria Needs President Buhari As Minister Of Defence, Not Petroleum / WAEC Posts Irrelevant Advertorial On Buhari's Certificate In Guardian Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 15, 2010
[img]http://maxsiollun.files./2008/08/cas_pic_det_page.jpg?w=169&h=218[/img]

What real powers does Paul Dike have in making decisions about the defence of this country? Imagine he was not even aware of troop deployments during Yardua's return?

My perception is that the chief of defence staff is in charge of defending the nation from all types of armed threats and uprisings? All other military chiefs (army, navy and air force) are subordinate to him in theory.

Reasons for this question:

1. Troop deployments during Yaradua's return from Saudi. Paul Dike was not aware of this

2. Chief of Army Staff General Danbazzau seems to be a law unto himself making unilateral decisions and proving unable to contain the crisis in various parts of the country?

3. Major General Saleh Maina, General Officer Commanding the 3rd Armoured Division in Jos refusing to answer calls and text messages especially during periods of adverse circumstances?

Where was Paul Dike in all this?

No comments from him at all, or have I got it all wrong?

These people just seem to be at the top for the sake of it, while the real decisions are taken elsewhere.

What are your thoughts?
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by blacksta(m): 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2010
I guess another voiceless stooge  embarassed _ Southerners prefer the normal status quo - and anything that would disturb the passive lifestyle is resisted
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by SkySpirit(m): 12:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
D CDS does not command any troops, rather the Service Chiefs are directly in charge of the troops. Unfortunately, Dike is from the wrong part of the country, hence he is being sidelined! grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by zmurda(m): 12:28pm On Mar 15, 2010
Oh, I forgot we actually had a CDS.
He's just a dummy after the budget of the army. Retard!
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by naso2(m): 12:45pm On Mar 15, 2010
This happens whenever the CDS is not from the ARMY irrespective of his the tribe or region .

In the days of agwai,ogomudia,azazi it was not so. The rivalry amongst the forces always put a non-army CDS at a disadvantaged position.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by naijaking1: 12:52pm On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

This happens whenever the CDS is not from the ARMY irrespective of his the tribe or region .

In the days of agwai,ogomudia,azazi it was not so. The rivalry amongst the forces always put a non-army CDS at a disadvantaged position.

It's a north/south thing, a case of usurption of functions. Dambazzau obviously doesn't care or even have any regards for the fela, just like Lame(police minister) doesn't even regard the IGP onovo. You can always see a pattern here.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 15, 2010
naijaking1:

It's a north/south thing, a case of usurption of functions. Dambazzau obviously doesn't care or even have any regards for the fela, just like Lame(police minister) doesn't even regard the IGP onovo. You can always see a pattern here.

@Naijaking, you hit the nail on the head.

These guys Onovo and Paul Dike are just there for appeasement purposes but in reality they hold not genuine power.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by nduchucks: 12:58pm On Mar 15, 2010
naijaking1:

If the above is true, why are the southerners in question unable to assert themselves and their authorities or simply resign in protest while exposing the usurpers?
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 15, 2010
ndu_chucks:

If the above is true, why are the southerners in question unable to assert themselves and their authorities or simply resign in protest while exposing the usurpers?

I just had an Indian work colleague ask me why all the wealth resides in the south and yet all the power is in the north , nobody gets it and neither do I , undecided undecided undecided
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by hatch: 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2010
@ frobel

Why don't you shut up for a change Since you discovered NL you have come with one instigating posting or another trying to prove what.
Clowns like you sit at the comforts of your foreign abode saying all sorts.

If Chief of Defence is Irrelevant why don't you tell him to go resign and come into your crib.

Jobless shrim.p angry angry
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 15, 2010
hatch#:

@ frobel

Why don't you shut up for a change Since you discovered NL you have come with one instigating posting or another trying to prove what.
Clowns like you sit at the comforts of your foreign abode saying all sorts.

If Chief of Defence is Irrelevant why don't you tell him to go resign and come into your crib.

Jobless shrim.p angry angry

@hatch#, next time you see a post with my insignia whiz past it to the next.

It is not by force to read my articles, many other people do.

You seem to have a problem with people living abroad, did they refuse you a visa ?

By the way I do indeed have a job thank you.

Mind your business okay, move on and stop babbling like a spoilt brat !!!!
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by hatch: 1:23pm On Mar 15, 2010
frosbel:

@hatch#, next time you see a post with my insignia whiz past it to the next.

It is not by force to read my articles, many other people do.

You seem to have a problem with people living abroad, did they refuse you a visa ?

By the way I do indeed have a job thank you.

Mind your business okay, move on and stop babbling like a spoilt brat !!!!

I think in this case, it is you that is the spoilt brat ! Why is it so hard for you to shut up atimes undecided undecided Its always one idio.tic post on another embarassed
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by naijaking1: 2:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
hatch#:

I think in this case, it is you that is the spoilt brat ! Why is it so hard for you to shut up atimes undecided undecided Its always one idio.tic post on another embarassed

You're resorting to the old technique of derailing a topic by attacking persons and not the topic under discussion. Don't you see how mallam ndu-chucks approached this topic without getting personal? You have a thing or two to learn.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 15, 2010
hatch#:

Leave that Internet cafe and go get a life !! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Akanbiedu(m): 6:01pm On Mar 15, 2010
blacksta:

I guess another voiceless stooge  embarassed _ Southerners prefer the normal status quo - and anything that would disturb the passive lifestyle is resisted

It always look like that because the southerners make too much noise whenever things do not come our way. because the northeners are not so noisy, we tend to think the noisemakers are the ones that are always wronged.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by zebra(m): 7:00pm On Mar 15, 2010
na_so:

Not true. Air Marshal al-Amin Daggash was a CDS (The first Air force officer to hold that position - during Gen Abdulasalam's regime). Also Admiral Ibrahim Ogohi held that post too during OBJ's regime in 1999. They had all the priviledges of a CDS and were well respected by all members of the armed forces (Army, Navy & Air Force).

i believe it's a tribal thing; you must come from the north before you can earn enoff respect.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by xterra2(m): 7:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
For those of you who dont know
Guards Brigade is the only independent brigade of the Nigerian Army and its Commander can deploy troops without recourse to any body be it Chiefs of army and defence or even the C-In-C but only if the troops will be used for the protection of the president,vice-presidency and the presidency(villa,SH e.t.c)
People just were shouting because they are ignorant of the works of brigade of guards,ask anyone in the army to confirm this to you,
And to the work of CDS,Paul Dike,if troops deployment are needed after receiving the orders form the C-in-C he then orders the Chiefs of Navy,air force and Army, In the army for example after the COAS receives the order from CDS he then order the GOC to deploy troops in which case the GOC will choose the battalions he want to deploy if the CDS or COAS did not specify
To those saying that because the CDS is from South he does not command respect os a big lie-for god sake it is not everything in nigeria that is about Ethnic/religious crises
He is the highest ranking member of the Armed forces he cant be disobeyed if not he can discipline the officer even a General
To the issue of Jos,the DHQ handed the operation to GOC 3 div,(i think if not 2 div),so he has not any role,
In the armed forces whenever there is a crisis in the nation the CDS bars top military officers from travelling e.g during the boko haram crisis and recently Yaradua absence,
to people who say that why didnt he speak,he cant,the CDS cant speak on that type of matter even the COAS,CNS,CAS e.t.c thats why there is a spokesman not the service chefs themselves to come out and speak
While this CDS,i know is a man of high value and he commands respect,no one in the armed forces can deny his order if he gives it
And he also,monitor our peace keeping operation right from his office(he get live updates of everything)and sometimes doles out little little orders to the troops(thats why there is a force commander),he also monitors the troops of NA,NN,NAF

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by edoyad(m): 7:32pm On Mar 15, 2010
There are generals and there are generals. Talk of Dogonyaro et al and you mean people who flushed rebels capable of toppling most African govt- at great cost to Nigeria of course. Fat boys like Saleh whose only credit is that they happened to be in the south south when the so called amnesty was brokered are not even as astute as a jnr. RSM of your average military school. Don't call that guys name again. The only reason people like that made general is quota system and the C130 crash in sept 1991
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 15, 2010
I honestly think Paul Dike is handling himself very well

He is doing perfectly as far as I am concerned.
As CDS he controls the whole security forces and as such if he is seen as engaging in partisan politics. I think that will be a recipe to failure

His loyalty is to Nigeria and not to any individual or region. His duty is to share intelligence with the President and the rest of the security network.

The whole noise about who knew about Yar'adua's return and who did'nt does not mean much in my view because the media will never be able to guess what intelligence reports are available to the CDS. In fact if they are able to do so we should have more cause for concern.

BTW Yar'adua's return was not much of a top secret because everyone with an access computer or BBC knew that when Yar'adua was airborne.

So long as coups have been consigned to speculations of Newspapers and internet blogs. I believe the CDS is doing a good job.

Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2010
He is a real Gentleman Soldier
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by naijaking1: 8:21pm On Mar 15, 2010
^^^
These guys look better in suits than those clownish traditional outfits.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by violent(m): 8:42pm On Mar 15, 2010
xterra2:

Guards Brigade is the only independent brigade of the Nigerian Army and its Commander can deploy troops without recourse to any body be it Chiefs of army and defence or even the C-In-C but only if the troops will be used for the protection of the president,vice-presidency and the presidency(villa,SH e.t.c)
People just were shouting because they are ignorant of the works of brigade of guards,ask anyone in the army to confirm this to you,
And to the work of CDS,Paul Dike,if troops deployment are needed after receiving the orders form the C-in-C he then orders the Chiefs of Navy,air force and Army, In the army for example after the COAS receives the order from CDS he then order the GOC to deploy troops in which case the GOC will choose the battalions he want to deploy if the CDS or COAS did not specify
To those saying that because the CDS is from South he does not command respect os a big lie-for god sake it is not everything in nigeria that is about Ethnic/religious crises
He is the highest ranking member of the Armed forces he cant be disobeyed if not he can discipline the officer even a General
To the issue of Jos,the DHQ handed the operation to GOC 3 div,(i think if not 2 div),so he has not any role,
In the armed forces whenever there is a crisis in the nation the CDS bars top military officers from travelling e.g during the boko haram crisis and recently Yaradua absence,
to people who say that why didnt he speak,he cant,the CDS cant speak on that type of matter even the COAS,CNS,CAS e.t.c thats why there is a spokesman not the service chefs themselves to come out and speak
While this CDS,i know is a man of high value and he commands respect,no one in the armed forces can deny his order if he gives it
And he also,monitor our peace keeping operation right from his office(he get live updates of everything)and sometimes doles out little little orders to the troops(thats why there is a force commander),he also monitors the troops of NA,NN,NAF

Well said!. . .
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:58pm On Mar 15, 2010
xterra2:

Some education for the ignorant. Thanks.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by zebra(m): 8:15am On Mar 16, 2010
edoyad:

There are generals and there are generals. Talk of Dogonyaro et al and you mean people who flushed rebels capable of toppling most African govt- at great cost to Nigeria of course. Fat boys like Saleh whose only credit is that they happened to be in the south south when the so called amnesty was brokered are not even as astute as a jnr. RSM of your average military school. Don't call that guys name again. The only reason people like that made general is quota system and the C130 crash in sept 1991

it is not 1991. it was in 1992.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 16, 2010
hatch#:

I have been on and off Nairaland for a few years now and never seen a post of any significance from you .

If you have a problem with anger go and get some help.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by ProAnti: 10:48am On Mar 16, 2010
xterra2:

Thanks man!!!
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 16, 2010
xterra2:

I agree with you only to an extent

If I can talk from experience, I personally do not think that Paul Dike wields more power in reality than the current chief of army staff. This is based on recent events.

For a serious crisis in the nation such as Nigeria we need reassurances from those at the top that the situation is under control . We do not need to hear from spokesmen, we need to hear from the man himself.

I vividly remember Colin Powell who was joint chiefs of staff in the US coming out to publicly make statements of reassurance in times of uncertainty and periods of crisis.

The mere presence of the chief of defence sends reassurances to the populace.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by KnowAll(m): 11:03am On Mar 16, 2010
I agree with you only to an extent

If I can talk from experience, I personally do not think that Paul Dike wields more power in reality than the current chief of army staff. This is based on recent events.

For a serious crisis in the nation such as Nigeria we need reassurances from those at the top that the situation is under control . We do not need to hear from spokesmen, we need to hear from the man himself.

I vividly remember Colin Powell who was joint chiefs of staff in the US coming out to publicly make statements of reassurance in times of uncertainty and periods of crisis.

The mere presence of the chief of defence sends reassurances to the populace.

The Chief Defence Staff also weild’s enough power being an Air force man, most of the hardware, fighter aircrafts, helipcopter gunship are based in Markurdi, he will be the man that has the power to counter-coup in the event of the Brigade’s of Guards and the Garrison’s around Abuja taking the laws into their hands.

But that will be subject to 2nd Mechanised Ibadan, lagos garrison, Kaduna and Enugu troops loyal to him.

We all know 3rd mechanised in Jos is a pro-yaradua unit they can always re-enforce the Abuja Units.
Re: Chief Of Defence, Paul Dike's Position Irrelevant : What Are Your Thoughts ? by brain4box: 11:05am On Mar 16, 2010
cool well said all of ya, but i must remind you that things do not appear the way they seem. or seem the way they appear. lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo’s Sermon On National Unity / Islamic Cleric Urges For Federalism / How The Police Used ‘strategic Insecurity’ In Sokoto State’s Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.