Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan (26519 Views)

Flashback: Eurasia Group Tips Buhari To Defeat Jonathan / Buhari’s New Year Speech Shows He Has Conceded Defeat -pdp...says Mr. President / How 2015 Poll Was Rigged In North – Tanko Yakassai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by HungerBAD: 2:41am On Oct 27, 2017
…Tasks Nigerians on setting new standards for democracy ABUJA—

Nigeria has to grow the credibility of its democracy to a stage where it would no longer wait for court judgment to conclude elections, former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has said.

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan Jonathan, who made the observation at the 6th edition of African Ambassadors Interactive Forum, AAIF, and dinner, organised by African Third Sector Resource, ATSR, in Abuja, where he was presented with the “African Leadership & Achievement Award,” noted that by conceding defeat before the 2015 election result was declared, he wanted to set a new standard for the nation’s democracy and prove a point that election related litigation should no longer define Nigeria’s democracy.

He said: “I always say that I reformed the democratic process as President in order to consolidate democracy in Nigeria and the sub-region. I conceded defeat without a fight because I wanted to set a standard for our democracy, going forward. “My aim then was to change the narrative and prove that election related litigations should no longer define Nigeria’s democracy. People must not always go to court and obtain judgments before elections in Nigeria are declared complete.

We don’t get to hear about such court cases in mature democracies. I wanted us to get to that point in our democratic experience. I thought that it won’t be out of place if we got to that stage where those who lost elections will be able to congratulate those who won.” Why I conceded defeat Jonathan said his commitment to the protection of lives and investments of Nigeria people, their assets and the economy made him concede defeat and avert looming crises.

The former President, who was represented on the occasion by the former Minister of National Planning, Alhaji Abubakar Suleiman, recalled that already, some agencies in the United States had predicted disintegration, following growing tensions on the land at the time. He stressed that Nigeria and, indeed, Africa could have been doomed, if Nigeria was allowed to slide into anarchy. He said: “Above all, what that decision did for me and the nation was to avert a looming crisis.

Given the tension in the land at that time, I was deeply contemplative of what would have happened if we had let our nation, the biggest black nation on earth, slide into anarchy, because of contestations for power. What then would have happened to our citizens, Nigeria’s economy and the investments driving its growth? “I was convinced that the implication for peace and the economy of the sub-region and the rest of the continent, couldn’t have spelled anything else but doom.

Recall that after the 2011 Presidential election, which most observers adjudged transparent, with my victory generally seen to have been well deserved, crisis and conflicts still surfaced that claimed the lives of many of our compatriots, and property worth billions of naira destroyed. “I am always saddened each time I remember that among those who died needlessly then were 10 youths undergoing the compulsory one-year national service, who unfortunately got killed in a state where I secured only 16 percent of votes.

Tension over disintegration “Before the 2015 elections, there was palpable tension in the land, to the extent that some international agencies, especially in the United States, were predicting the disintegration of the country in the election year. “As the President, I always had at the back of my mind that it was my responsibility to protect the assets of Nigerians and non-Nigerians operating in our economy.

These were committed investors who had trusted our government with their investments, to be able to provide jobs and improve the lives of our people. “The steps I took while in office and during and after the 2015 elections were meant to secure our country, consolidate our democracy and protect those investments. I thank God that I was able to do what I did despite the irresistible force of power, and the usual worries about the uncertain fate that might befall a leader upon leaving office, especially in Africa.

Earlier, Executive Director of ATSR, Mr Chijioke James, said the organisation has facilitated the forum to celebrate the fact Nigeria was able the get the narrative right during 2015 elections.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/2015-poll-conceded-defeat-jonathan/

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:08am On Oct 27, 2017
grin Jonathan is a man of peace, his ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian. cool

God bless his supporters

242 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by GavelSlam: 3:11am On Oct 27, 2017
After losing?

Abeg go rest.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by RRWraith(m): 3:17am On Oct 27, 2017
Jonathan = Buhari Both are clueless and corrupt

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Keeppushing: 3:23am On Oct 27, 2017
If only you know that Nigerian wished you stayed longer now. The kain thing wey dey happen now ee...... I dunno self.

Are aspiring to become a computer hardware engineer or to work as an IT support officer? Avail yourself the opportunity of attending a FREE training on Computer Hardware maintenance. Click below to register.

Book a seat to attend a Free Computer hardware maintenance training

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by python1: 3:24am On Oct 27, 2017
Your Royal Cluelessness, do you have choice? You can try your confidence in 2019, the 5% who gave you 95% of their votes will still not take you anywhere, just try and see. Wawa, oloshi.

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by istandfortruth: 3:27am On Oct 27, 2017
Guns and knives were set for the killing spree to commence but when Jonathan made that call it changed everything...most people who do not understand this have also never understood how religious crisis erupts in the North.

122 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by serverconnect(m): 3:35am On Oct 27, 2017
Thank God for a peace maker like you. The hero of democracy. God use you to save the life of others.

120 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by kokoA(m): 4:15am On Oct 27, 2017
Oga Jona, abeg e don do.. Everywhere he go Na to dey talk about 2015 election. E pain you we know. grin

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Desyner: 4:38am On Oct 27, 2017
The opposite of Boo(Harry) when it comes to dictatorial tendencies.
Imagine that Boo(Harry) refuses to compesate the relatives of 11 innocent corpers.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Atiku2019: 4:40am On Oct 27, 2017
God Bless GEJ

A True Patroit

Atiku2019

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by jom28gy(m): 4:47am On Oct 27, 2017
All these are flimsy excuses,you has lost out.buhari,who is doing it,had heaven falled

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by HungerBAD: 5:11am On Oct 27, 2017
Why don't he contest again if he is that loved or popular?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by obonujoker(m): 5:17am On Oct 27, 2017
python1:
Your Royal Cluelessness, do you have choice? You can try your confidence in 2019, the 5% who gave you 95% of their votes will still not take you anywhere, just try and see. Wawa, oloshi.

Buhari will be the last Fulani to rule Nigeria....

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by IamPatriotic(m): 5:23am On Oct 27, 2017
I thought they said two years on, this mas has. moved on, so why this unnecessary ruminations over an event that is already in achieve of history, is he still bitter or he's using it as a preparatory gimmicks for 2019?

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Mcdondayan: 5:25am On Oct 27, 2017
jom28gy:
All these are flimsy excuses,you has lost out.buhari,who is doing it,had heaven falled
Oga, go back to school.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Firefire(m): 5:26am On Oct 27, 2017
“I always say that I reformed the democratic process as President in order to consolidate democracy in Nigeria and the sub-region. I conceded defeat without a fight because I wanted to set a standard for our democracy, going forward".

“My aim then was to change the narrative and prove that election related litigations should no longer define Nigeria’s democracy. People must not always go to court and obtain judgments before elections in Nigeria are declared complete"

Nigerians are not sure of any free and fair election in 2019, considering that a Hausa-Fulani man is the INEC chairman coming from the same region with the sitting president.

We implore International organization and Civil Society to prevail on the current administration to change the current leadership of INEC in order to remove the premonition of bias against 2019 election in Nigeria.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Horlufemi(m): 5:29am On Oct 27, 2017
Desyner:
Imagine that Boo(Harry) refuses to compesate the relatives of 11 innocent corpers.

Check the records Jonathan was more tyrannical than Buhari.

Don't hold my word for it.

5 Likes

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 27, 2017
Gej is a mad man

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Firefire(m): 5:32am On Oct 27, 2017
IamPatriotic:
I thought they said two years on, this mas has. moved on, so why this unnecessary ruminations over an event that is already in achieve of history, is he still bitter or he's using it as a preparatory gimmicks for 2019?

If the civil disobedience, parallel government and war promised by APC and the bloodletting allegedly credited to the current man in power was implemented, will Nigeria 4 years after still be this safe? Think, my brother.

If you recall, wealthy Nigerians were moving their families out of the country in droves, days preceding the 2015 election. Jonathan conceding defeat CHANGED the narratives and the permutation of the warmongers.

Let me refresh your memory with the attached...

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Desyner: 5:38am On Oct 27, 2017
Horlufemi:

Check the records Jonathan was more tyrannical than Buhari.
Don't hold my word for it.
Which record?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by hucienda: 5:40am On Oct 27, 2017
lol .. Jona na you dey do gentul man o ... Buhari no send.
Highest he and im illiterate minions go let baboon n monkey n blood do collabo like im bin tok.

"Me I no be gentul man like dat!

I be Africa man, original" cheesy

- Fela

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Bari22: 6:03am On Oct 27, 2017
mtsww tired of hearing, it seems it still pained you After more than 2 years

U failed because you didn't performed.

simple nothing more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Bari22: 6:06am On Oct 27, 2017
Desyner:

See this daft, corpers of 2011 he is accusing Buhari of not compensating the victims of 2011 post election violence, why Jonathan didn't compensate four years after? after all he is the winner of 2011 election not Buhari.

Buhari that pays former Biafran police after over 40 years? What exactly Jonathan achieved in his six years reign?

Please if you don't know what to say is not by force to comment.

Children of hate

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by python1: 6:09am On Oct 27, 2017
obonujoker:

Buhari will be the last Fulani to rule Nigeria....
How e take concern biafrans?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Elnino4ladies: 6:13am On Oct 27, 2017
This man should go and sit down and be humble

3 Likes

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Alexgeneration(m): 6:20am On Oct 27, 2017
A real gentle man has spoken not some daft slowpoke in Aso rock

4 Likes

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by Bede2u(m): 6:45am On Oct 27, 2017
Bari22:

See this daft, corpers of 2011 he is accusing Buhari of not compensating the victims of 2011 post election violence, why Jonathan didn't compensate four years after? after all he is the winner of 2011 election not Buhari.

Buhari that pays former Biafran police after over 40 years? What exactly Jonathan achieved in his six years reign?

Please if you don't know what to say is not by force to comment.

Children of hate
Our Buhari has lost credibility.
And no I am not a child of hate. I am one of those millions of people who voted him in 2015.
I dare say that Buhari should be the last Fulani man to rule this country... until that tribe get their acts together and come in to the 21st century.

We can try Atiku.... if he too fvcks up then its over for the NW and NE in this country politically.

Let me see how the 2 regions can defeat an alliance of the remaining 4 regions

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by 9japrof(m): 6:53am On Oct 27, 2017
Yiu conceded because you lost, simple

2 Likes

Re: 2015 Poll: Why I Conceded Defeat – Jonathan by FarahAideed: 6:56am On Oct 27, 2017
We pray and hope Buhari can follow your foot steps but the elections haven't come and he is already falling short by going against anybody who even wants to contest..Buhari is a shame

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bishop Arrested In Warri For Sponsoring Avengers / Rituals: Okowa Orders Crackdown On Yahoo Boys In Delta / Lagos Govt Begins Removal Of Illegal Structures In Computer Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.