Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,191 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom (16060 Views)

Ondo State Govt Partners With German Firm To Build $1.1billion Medical City / FG Signs $3.9bn Deal With Chinese Firm For Abuja-itakpe Railway Construction / 2019: 3rd Force Unites Against APC, PDP, As Agbakoba’s PT Signs Pact With Obj’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Desyner: 4:39pm On Oct 28, 2017
aribisala0:
Pipeline length from gas source is not the issue if it was people would not invest billions in LNG which more than doubles the price. There are dozens of factors to consider and to somehow make that the most important is strange

I do not see the logic about how this reduces vandalism?

Vandalism again is a multifactorial issue bjut primarily it has to do with PEOPLE and the MOTIVATION for their action chief of which is unemployment which derives partly from poor education and training as well as the politics of the Nigerian question.
Afterall there are pipeline all the way to Ghana.There are pipelines from Russia to Europe longer than Nigeria.
If Nigeria were to industrialize there must be gas pipelines across the whole country even if not for power plant for cooking or are we to cook with kerosene for ever while Europeans cook comfortably with Nigerian gas? Even countries that have no gas AT ALL and use NIGERIAN GAS have extensive pipelines.

It is not pipeline length that is the issue. Gas pipes are very very deep compare to oil or petrol and are often vandalized at source or
pumping stations
We need to always look at the big picture.

Even if you have power plants in Akwa Ibow what about the electricity generated will it not enter a transmission network.Could that not be vandalized if the motivation to do that is there ? Why is that motivation so high in Nigeria and not in Qatar or Algeria?

I disagree. Take Kaduna refinery for example, The distance of the pipeline carrying unrefined fuel there makes it super easy for vandals to come in vandalize it. If that same refinery was located in Warri it would be much more difficult for vandals to have the space required to vandalize so often.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

The North has some major hydo-electric projects coming on-stream doesn't it? They also have a comparative advantage in utilizing solar and wind power compared to the South. Pipelines are expensive to lay for thousands of miles and I'm not sure why they'd be building gas-powered thermal plants without factoring the logistics of gas supply.
Even countries that do not have a drop of gas have pipelines. Gas can be sold profitably for cooking and other industrial uses across Nigeria.In fact we do not need to export it and we need to stop flaring.

The flip side of building next to gas source is the cost of the trasmission network to distribute electricity generated unless it is used entirely at source.

So if the analysis is purely business that is what needs to be considered. Every industry would be next to source of raw materials but it does not work like that whether with steel or chocolate. Market location and accessibility and ease of distribution is key

In Nigeria the analysis is more political than business and that is not necessarily wrong but we must be clear what we are doing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by neonly: 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2017
Signing dat all APC is Gud for grin grin grin
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2017
[s]
Obi1kenobi:

As always, not a surprise, he reveals the root of his weird fury. grin
Again, posting some comment on a forum while on the move doesn't entail that I have to spend my time rehashing online documents to bolster my argument. You're free to disagree with my claims and free to refute them (even though foaming in the mouth like a rabid dog while shouting "IPOB" doesn't count as a rebuttal) yourself, but as I already said, you're entitled to what you believe. There a million and one articles online critiquing the inflated costs of Nigeria's infrastructural projects, including from international observers. Whenever you can wipe the foaming dribble off your mouth and breathe normally, you can find them. I have no interest in indulging keyboard warriors today. smiley
[/s]

So, you are basically agreeing with me that your rubbish was just another meaningless word of mouth ignorance not based on facts, sane and rational thoughts?

You know all about cost for similar projects in other countries, but you still can not show us 1 single documented facts about the same similar projects in the same other countries you listed.

Agin, confine your ignorant and baseless analysis to your co low info consuming Igbos on NL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 4:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
540MW at $1 billion?

Corruption will not kill us in this country.

There are even reports of less than $1 million per Mega Watts plants being constructed.

Nigeria, change your ways

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by ekene9: 4:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
it's good... just hope it is not another means to steal
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 4:50pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

That cost the LASG N29 billion which they have or almost recouped from toll fees.

You can not reach any kind of conclusion per the cost of projects without sensible and critical analysis concerning every cost aspect of the project involved from cost of land to cost of equipment and machinery, importation and transportation of machinery and equipment that we obviously doesn't manufacture, cost of local and imported labor and if I might add, there is still the cost of added 58 kilometres transmission line that you obviously overlooked.

Bring forth your documented cost analysis per this project and your so called similar projects in the same business and cost environment for us to analyze and compare, until you are able to do that, you are just spewing breeze, ignorance and baseless assertions.

BMC!

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aniblue(m): 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2017
Nice paper work!

Good news but no celebration until i see it running, no be today them begin white elephant projects. I hope it sees the day light.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2017
chloride6:
540MW at $1 billion?

Corruption will not kill us in this country.

There are even reports of less than $1 million per Mega Watts plants being constructed.

Nigeria, change your ways

The cost is even better than that azura edo ipp,

Awarded at same $1 billion in 2014, for 450 mega watts

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 28, 2017
Liars.

Another unfulfilled promise again, because of 2019 APC corrupt lying government dishing out lies and propaganda campaign here and there.

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by COMPAQ(m): 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

As always, not a surprise, he reveals the root of his weird fury. grin
Again, posting some comment on a forum while on the move doesn't entail that I have to spend my time rehashing online documents to bolster my argument. You're free to disagree with my claims and free to refute them (even though foaming in the mouth like a rabid dog while shouting "IPOB" doesn't count as a rebuttal) yourself, but as I already said, you're entitled to what you believe. There a million and one articles online critiquing the inflated costs of Nigeria's infrastructural projects, including from international observers. Whenever you can wipe the foaming dribble off your mouth and breathe normally, you can find them. I have no interest in indulging keyboard warriors today. smiley

Can you guys chill!! Funny thing is both of you are correct. Yes contracts are inflated in Nigeria for corrupt reasons, but even if you exclude corruption, similar projects in Nigeria would cost considerably more than the equivalent in Europe cos we indeed lack efficient logistics, manpower, industrial base, manufacturing capacity etcs

Can you imagine the cost of clearing and transporting a turbine from Lagos to Kano? I could probably get the same turbine from Korea to UK in half the time and half the cost.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

We are not a serious country. We have also awarded 1 billion naira per Km for road in this same country
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by COMPAQ(m): 4:57pm On Oct 28, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

And Azura is private mind you!!
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 4:57pm On Oct 28, 2017
COMPAQ:

Can you guys chill!! Funny thing is both of you are correct. Yes contracts are inflated in Nigeria for corrupt reasons, but even if you exclude corruption, similar projects in Nigeria would cost considerably more than the equivalent in Europe cos we indeed lack efficient logistics, manpower, industrial base, manufacturing capacity etcs

Can you imagine the cost of clearing and transporting a turbine from Lagos to Kano? I could probably get the same turbine from Korea to UK in half the time and half the cost.

That is still no excuse for such inflation.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 28, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

But sincerely speaking, monies spent on infrastructures in Nigeria are higher than normal.

Natural gas power plant are the cheapest to build, we're building ours at almost double rate.

The mambilla power project is even cheaper than this at about $5b despite d fact that it'll be hydro powered.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Blue3k(m): 5:01pm On Oct 28, 2017
chloride6:

That is still no excuse for such inflation.

So building new 58 kilometres transmission line wouldn't increase cost any? Like arinzeejikonye said other projects had around same cost like Edo Azure IPP at 1 billion dollars. That plants capacity is 450 MW.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 5:02pm On Oct 28, 2017
Desyner:

I disagree. Take Kaduna refinery for example, The distance of the pipeline carrying unrefined fuel there makes it super easy for vandals to come in vandalize it. If that same refinery was located in Warri it would be much more difficult for vandals to have the space required to vandalize so often.
You need to be clear what you are disagreeing with i.e what did I say. The primary issue is why is there a motivation to vandalize in Nigeria and not in some countries.

Gas is a totally different thing from petroleum.

The pipelines and cost structure are totally different.Gas is difficult to "steal" and sell like petrol. The pipes are stronger and much deeper

Gas pipes are not commonly vandalized what tends to be vandalized are consolidation and pumping installations in the SS e.g the Offshore facilities have been boarded by pirates. Most of the disruptions to gas are in the SS very close to source and not to the pipelines which run all the way to Ghana..

You may not know but there is a West African Gas Pipeline already in place of over 600 kms it is largely intact . Disruptions to supply are generally not from pipeline attacks far from the SS.

That network can distribute gas whether from the SS or even imported from Russia even after Nigeria runs out of gas
So I do not understand your disagreement .Are you saying Nigerians should not have a future where they they cook with gas instead of kerosene. Or are you saying companies won't make profit?
Gas pipes are just a way of distributing a product like electricity or roads. They exist in countries that have NO GAS AT ALL

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

LAGOS, Jan 21 (Reuters) - Nigeria’s Azura Power Holdings Ltd said on Thursday it had raised $876 million for its power plant in the southwest of Africa’s most populous nation and that construction was set to commence.

Azura, along with its founder and majority shareholder Amaya Capital, said lenders for the independent power plant (IPP) in Edo state included Siemens Bank, Standard Bank, CDC and the International Finance Corporation, an arm of the World Bank.

“The $876 million transaction is the first of a new wave of project-financed greenfield IPPs currently being developed in Nigeria,” said Azura in a statement.

“The financing of the Azura-Edo IPP involves US$190 million of equity and US$686 million of debt from a consortium of local and international financiers,” it added.

The Azura-Edo IPP consists of a 450MW open cycle gas turbine power station and a transmission line connecting the power plant to a local substation and an underground gas pipeline connecting the power plant to Nigeria’s main gas supply.

The company said the project represents the first phase of a 1,500MW power plant facility which is targeted to come on stream in 2017 and supply more than 12 million people in Nigeria.

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL8N1552JE

$876 million, not $1 billion.

These are not your generic FG/Corrupt/ and inflated projects, these are private projects financed by reputable banks, reputable contractors with their I's and T's doted from accurate estimates to cost supervisions.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:
[s][/s]

So, you are basically agreeing with me that your rubbish was just another meaningless word of mouth ignorance not based on facts, sane and rational thoughts?
If one has fufu for brains, I can see why that may be what would be deduced from my post. Back in the real world, I've simply said I have no desire for anything more tedious than commenting here.

You know all about cost for similar projects in other countries, but you still can not show us 1 single documented facts about the same similar projects in the same other countries you listed.

Agin, confine your ignorant and baseless analysis to your co low info consuming Igbos on NL.

Yes, I cannot show you because I don't feel like it. smiley
Why are you so angry and foaming in the mouth, bruh? These IPOB boys have clearly done some twisted things to you to get you this rabid and consumed with hate. grin

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Bizibi(m): 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2017
Blue3k:

Make it 3 the project supposed to be ready 2021.
yes,I will.....in this country, they can do and undo.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Bizibi(m): 5:10pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

$876 million, not $1 billion.

These are not your generic FG/Corrupt/ and inflated projects, these are private projects financed by reputable banks, reputable contractors with their I's and T's doted from accurate estimates to cost supervisions.
bros,I'm a Niger deltan no need fr long explanation, we will ask fr update in the last quarter of 2019.

Abeg,we nor wan hear excuse wey go wake up Saddam Hussein.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by UfuomaUN(m): 5:11pm On Oct 28, 2017
The guy on the first page abusing another poster for criticising what seems to be another inflated contract is one of the many reasons Nigeria is like this. When people don't ask questions of the govt, they keep taking us on a ride. That's how Ameachi abandoned monorail cost over $240m without nearing 60% completion

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

If one has fufu for brains, I can see why that may be what would be deduced from my post. Back in the real world, I've simply said I have no desire for anything more tedious than commenting here.

Yes, I cannot show you because I don't feel like it. smiley
Why are you so angry and foaming in the mouth, bruh? These IPOB boys have clearly done some twisted things to you to get you this rabid and consumed with hate. grin
It's alright.....@deomelo, obi is totally correct. U spend about $1000 for 1kw( gas powered ). Here's a proof.

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 5:15pm On Oct 28, 2017
Blue3k:

So building new 58 kilometres transmission line wouldn't increase cost any? Like arinzeejikonye said other projects had around same cost like Edo Azure IPP at 1 billion dollars. That plants capacity is 450 MW.

Do you realize we are talking about half a billion US dollars?

Just a reminder, the escravos GTL, was built at about $10 billion while a similar Plant was built at less than $2 billion in the Gulf.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2017
COMPAQ:

Even factoring that, the costs still are comparatively inflated when compared to other African countries. Koyo Corp from Japan is building a 1000MW gas-powered plant in Tanzania for $1billion. Tanzania is hardly Germany or France. This is hardly restricted to power. Compare just about any infrastructural project in Nigeria with their African counterparts and you see the same trend.

2 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by edibobo: 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
Akwa Ibom is next Investors Destination in Nigeria
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by obailala(m): 5:25pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Based on what? Are you a power plant engineer or expert or it's the same NL look and comment without facts?
Calm down bro! I dont have to be an auto technician or automotive engineering expert to have an idea how much a 2017 C-Class cost. My concern is based on my idea of the general cost of similar gas power plants around the world and in Nigeria; just like the dude I quoted stated, for most gas plants, average cost is typically $1000 per kw, i.e. roughly $1billion for 1000mw. Could be cheaper, could be more expensive, but this very plant is twice this average cost estimate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2017
UfuomaUN:
The guy on the first page abusing another poster for criticising what seems to be another inflated contract is one of the many reasons Nigeria is like this. When people don't ask questions of the govt, they keep taking us on a ride. That's how Ameachi abandoned monorail cost over $240m without nearing 60% completion

He presumes everyone exists in his twisted, spiteful, hateful (not to mention, childish) bubble where everything is interpreted through a prism of tribalism. I made a generic comment about the cost of infrastructural projects in Nigeria which he could easily have disagreed with with basic manners and civility, but it somehow degenerated into the weirdo rambling about IPOB. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2017
Is this Project government owned.? Is it funded with government money?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:31pm On Oct 28, 2017
shervydman:

It's alright.....@deomelo, obi is totally correct. U spend about $1000 for 1kw( gas powered ). Here's a proof.

Basic or standard cost is just a cost, it has nothing to do with associated costs like land purchase, local and international manpower cost, equipment shipping and transportation cost, cost of 58 kilometres transmission which I'm 100% sure are not part of the table you posted or what the other poster wrongfully asserted.

Look beyond basic headlines, it's just common sense.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by hucienda: 5:31pm On Oct 28, 2017
The OP is being mischievous.

S/he did not post the entire report from the website.

lalasticlala. Take note.

Spylord48:
Signing of MOU isn't the problem. The problem is will the project be actualized or will they commission it on paper as usual?

You could update your post with the full report from the allafrica.com website indicating the project schedule and timelines the OP mischeviously cropped out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by newoffer: 5:32pm On Oct 28, 2017
In our lifetime, few people are playing us like Scrabble.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arrest & Prosecute Arewa Youths Inciting Violence Against Igbos – HURIWA / Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi / Mubarak Bala: Soyinka Accuses Ganduje Of Hypocrisy Over Atheist’s Imprisonment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.