Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,381 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom (16065 Views)

Ondo State Govt Partners With German Firm To Build $1.1billion Medical City / FG Signs $3.9bn Deal With Chinese Firm For Abuja-itakpe Railway Construction / 2019: 3rd Force Unites Against APC, PDP, As Agbakoba’s PT Signs Pact With Obj’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by cstr1000: 5:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
One nincompoop is rambling about IPOB in the face of blatant inflationism by a dastard incompetent government.
Does amala and ewedu sap the brain of the necessary neurones needed for cognitive reasoning?
I never regarded that watery staple as a delicacy meant for homo sapiens. But it could be more sinister than I thought.

3 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 5:34pm On Oct 28, 2017
Another Ebola man on the rampage
Is this funded with government money?
What exactly are the financial obligations of the government in this deal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 5:36pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Basic or standard cost is just a cost, it has nothing to do with associated costs like land purchase, local and international manpower cost, equipment shipping and transportation cost, cost of 58 kilometres transmission which I'm 100% sure are not part of the table you posted or what the other poster wrongfully asserted.

Look beyond basic headlines, it's just common sense.

Transmission costs can not exceed $500k per kilometer.

You have your work cut out for you if want to defend this charade.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:36pm On Oct 28, 2017
obailala:
Calm down bro! I dont have to be an auto technician or automotive engineering expert to have an idea how much a 2017 C-Class cost. My concern is based on my idea of the general cost of similar gas power plants around the world and in Nigeria; just like the dude I quoted stated, for most gas plants, average cost is typically $1000 per kw, i.e. roughly $1billion for 1000mw. Could be cheaper, could be more expensive, but this very plant is twice this average cost estimate.

What is the meaning of the irrelevant and meaningless average cost thing you people keep talking about? Do you manufacture the tools and equipment to be used or you are going to ship them from across the ocean, clear them and transport them to your work site?

Is the price of land in Nigeria also part of your average cost?

Is the cost of local and shipped foreign labor that you are going to lodge comfortably in a nice hotel for 2 years or more included?

Have you also included the cost of 58 kilometres transmission line?

No offense, but why do you people reason so basic, shallow and elementary?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:40pm On Oct 28, 2017
chloride6:

Transmission costs can not exceed $500k per kilometer.

You have your work cut out for you if want to defend this charade.

You posted a table that doesn't include associated costs like land purchase, local and international manpower cost, equipment shipping and transportation cost, cost of 58 kilometres transmission line so the only charade here is you and your shallow and illogical thoughts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by baralatie(m): 5:41pm On Oct 28, 2017
you can build a 1100mw turbine for at most $650 million within three years and Mr Fashola is signing $1 billion for 540mw?
na wa o!
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:42pm On Oct 28, 2017
[s]
cstr1000:
One nincompoop is rambling about IPOB in the face of blatant inflationism by a dastard incompetent government.
Does amala and ewedu sap the brain of the necessary neurones needed for cognitive reasoning?
I never regarded that watery staple as a delicacy meant for homo sapiens. But it could be more sinister than I thought.
[/s]

It's a private project so stop foaming at the mouth like village bingo.

These ipob illiterates sef.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by mikehelp: 5:44pm On Oct 28, 2017
HOW I WAS ROBBED OF THE OPPORTUNITY TO BRING FOREIGN INVESTORS TO INVEST IN THIS 550MW IN AKWA IBOM.

Long before this power project came into the know...I vigorously pursued this project in 2010, spent my last kobo one it, but a certain politician frustrated my efforts...we only needed a letter from the state government in akwa ibom which is a sovereign guarantee for our investment,the politician who was the number 2 man in government then, refused to bring me to the governor...smh, now the project has gone to a hausa,man....God will help our youth and save us from this elders who don't want to ever see the youth grow....yesterday they told us we were the leader of tomorrow,now they are preventing us from being that leader...smh.....I have all the document as evidence should anyone doubt
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Basic or standard cost is just a cost, it has nothing to do with associated costs like land purchase, local and international manpower cost, equipment shipping and transportation cost, cost of 58 kilometres transmission which I'm 100% sure are not part of the table you posted or what the other poster wrongfully asserted.

Look beyond basic headlines, it's just common sense.

OK....let's assume that the cost of building the power plant alone is $600m, do u wanna tell me that manpower,equipment shipment,transportation cost,transmission cost n Co will gulp about $400m?
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 5:47pm On Oct 28, 2017
Illiterates everywhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:50pm On Oct 28, 2017
shervydman:

OK....let's assume that the cost of building the power plant alone is $600m, do u wanna tell me that manpower,equipment shipment,transportation cost,transmission cost n Co will gulp about $400m?

Assumptions can not replace facts, sane and rational assertions.

I'm into facts, not baseless and meaningless NL assumptions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Assumptions can not replace facts, sane and rational assertions.

I'm into facts, not baseless and meaningless assumptions.

Fact is that u spend $1000 per kw for gas powered plants.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 5:53pm On Oct 28, 2017
baralatie:
you can build a 1100mw turbine for at most $650 million within three years and Mr Fashola is signing $1 billion for 540mw?
na wa o!

Another NL power expert. How many have you built for 650 million in less than 3 years based on your superior power experience?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 5:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
aribisala0:
Another Ebola man on the rampage
Is this funded with government money?
What exactly are the financial obligations of the government in this deal

These crooks have all sort of tricks up their sleeves like collecting tax incentives for non existent capital cost.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

$876 million, not $1 billion.

These are not your generic FG/Corrupt/ and inflated projects, these are private projects financed by reputable banks, reputable contractors with their I's and T's doted from accurate estimates to cost supervisions.

Chairman not my government, but our corrupt government lol

I guess the $1billion cost came about with the additional gas to power proposal, since the deal came together with the gas requirements from seplat,

Originally in 2014, this 2016 cost should be without the gas components.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/169316-jonathan-flags-off-first-phase-of-1billion-azura-edo-power-plant.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 6:01pm On Oct 28, 2017
shervydman:

Fact is that u spend $1000 per kw for gas powered plants.

Common sense should tell you that if you are going to make such claims, you should be able to break the cost down and itemize from A-Z how much you are going to spend on each item?

Have you done that or your internet copy and paste one size fits rubbish is the bench mark for the same project in the US, Canada, Mexico, China and so on.?

Sometimes I just wonder about you people and shallow manner of reasoning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by obailala(m): 6:03pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

What is the meaning of the irrelevant and meaningless average cost thing you people keep talking about? Do you manufacture the tools and equipment to be used or you are going to ship them from across the ocean, clear them and transport them to your work site?

Is the cost of local and shipped foreign labor that you are going to lodge comfortably in a nice hotel for 2 years or more included?

I take an exception to your rants man, there is nothing basic about questioning why a proposed project is costing twice the amount I think should be the average cost. I'm quite sure the other projects that cost less also included peripheral systems like the transmission lines in their package costs. So if you have an explanation as to why you believe this very project is costing this much, or why you feel this project isn't pricey at all, then bring up your explanation to the house instead of attacking people. We're all here to learn and these are the exact kind of topics I love to visit on this site for the purpose of learning.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

You posted a table that doesn't include associated costs like land purchase, local and international manpower cost, equipment shipping and transportation cost, cost of 58 kilometres transmission line so the only charade here is you and your shallow and illogical thoughts.

First of all , I didn't post a table. Let's make sure you are not hallucinating.

My $500k per km estimation is an over estimate sef and fully included land and every other additional cost.

You keep speaking about facts and associated costs as if gas powered power generation is a closely guraded secret. People here have been telling you the global benchnark cost is $1million per megawatts and you have been shouting them down.

Why don't you search for any $1 billion dollar , 540 MW plant anywhere in the world and defend yourself?

2 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by baralatie(m): 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Another NL power expert. How many have you built for 650 million in less than 3 years based on your superior power experience?
actually the real cost is $550 million to build a turbine plant within two years split into two units of 550 mW to be financed by a private loan with a world bank finance arm with the state contributing only 28% of that sum!
and the company from south Korea is involved with two PPP projects and the turbines is GE electric

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by kjhova(m): 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2017
Desyner:
This is what I have always advocated. More power plants in the SS to minimize pipeline length from gas source and all its associated challenges like vandalism maintenance.

Fair idea, however, you still run concentration risk. Also, the pipelines you have removed from the chain will be replaced by lengthy transmission lines which are equally at risk of vandalization.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Yeah, this must be why Sumitomo Corp, in a project with Mitsubishi-Hitachi and Toshiba (world class tech giants from a first world nation whose services you'd expect to be expensive), are building a a 240MW gas-plant in Tanzania for $300m.
And why another Japanese firm, Koyo Corp, are building a 1000MW plant for $1billion.

I guess land is more expensive in Akwa-Ibom than Dar-es-Salaam, and "local and shipped foreign labour" are not needed either. And all the tools and equipment they need just drop from the sky when needed. Nigeria is the only country with logistical costs in infrastructural projects.

4 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 6:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Common sense should tell you that if you are going to make such claims, you should be able to break the cost down and itemize from A-Z how much you are going to spend on each item?

Have you done that or your internet copy and paste one size fits rubbish is the bench mark for the same project in the US, Canada, Mexico, China and so on.?

Is land more expensive in Nigeria than in the USA?

The same benchmark has worked even in Sub saharan Africa so what are you saying?

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 6:09pm On Oct 28, 2017
chloride6:

These crooks have all sort of tricks up their sleeves like collecting tax incentives for non existent capital cost.
That is very true but it happens everywhere in the world, whenever money is involved man becomes something else . It is worse in the oil sector but what can we do?
I don't see a queue of investors lined up fighting to put money in Nigeria. We are not in a position to be picky.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:10pm On Oct 28, 2017
Spylord48:

Na today? As far as it involves government don't put your hopes high because of bureaucracy. Some people somewhere who are gaining from the 24hrs darkness everywhere will fight tooth and nail to frustrate the plan.
Most people will only believe when the project is 99.9% completed and working too

A little optimism won't hurt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by pinkguy(m): 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2017
We can't be deceive , we knew dangota is looking for cheap power supply to power her refinery in lagos state we will bomm it one day
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by chloride6: 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Yeah, this must be why Sumitomo Corp, in a project with Mitsubishi-Hitachi and Toshiba (world class tech giants from a first world nation whose services you'd expect to be expensive), are building a a 240MW gas-plant in Tanzania for $300m.
And why another Japanese firm, Koyo Corp, are building a 1000MW plant for $1billion.

I guess land is more expensive in Akwa-Ibom than Dar-es-Salaam, and "local and shipped foreign labour" are not needed either. And all the tools and equipment they need just drop from the sky when needed. Nigeria is the only country with logistical costs in infrastructural projects.

My brother I tire ooh. BMC no go let Nigerians rest.

They think everybody is a fool

3 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 28, 2017
chloride6:

My brother I tire ooh. BMC no go let Nigerians rest.

They think everybody is a fool

LOL, easy things in other places are usually difficult over here, twisted fate,
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 6:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
obailala:
I take an exception to your rants man, there is nothing basic about questioning why a proposed project is costing twice the amount I think should be the average cost. I'm quite sure the other projects that cost less also included peripheral systems like the transmission lines in their package costs. So if you have an explanation as to why you believe this very project is costing this much, or why you feel this project isn't pricey at all, then bring up your explanation to the house instead of attacking people. We're all here to learn and these are the exact kind of topics I love to visit on this site for the purpose of learning.

My issue with you people is the fact that you are not offering general comments or assertions which you are entitled to, but you are making compound statements and passing them off as facts which you are not entitled to without facts to back them up with.

When you asserts comments like the highlighted, you are basically saying you know for a fact and about similar projects costing less even with the transmission lines, the only problem with that flawed assertion is your inability to show us what you are so sure about.

The fact that you can not show what you are so sure about means you don't know anything, you are just arguing blindly and in effect lying.

I can not turn to my neighbor and say he paid too much to build his house without any accurate knowledge per the details and specifications he demanded, the type and quality of the materials he used or demanded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Have u done the bolded?? Oga, take it easy. This is daylight robbery. I'm happy that the project will benefit every Nigerians but the cost is too much.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by LemonBoy1: 6:22pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

This is interesting considering the $1.1 billion bill for 540 MW. Gas-powered plants are one of the cheapest to build (considerably cheaper than coal plants) and the median costs for most gas plants in developing countries is about $1000 per KW. So you'd expect a bill of between $500m to $600m for this particular plant. But in this country where every infrastructural project seems to be absurdly inflated, it's no surprise it's costing double that. And it's apparently one of the cheapest. grin

You look at the cost of the Ikoyi link bridge or Kwankwaso's Kano flyover, or the projected costs for the 2nd Niger Bridge, or the projected costs for the interstate rail projects per km (or even Lagos' rail project and Amaechi and Duke's monorails) compared to similar projects in countries like Tanzania, Ethiopia etc and something is terribly wrong with the process in awarding these contracts. So many rotten scumbags feeding fat off the country.

You just took the words off my mind. Imagine. 2019 campaign money loading...

Nigerian politicians and budget inflation are like this

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
Abagworo please call owelle to come and see his mates, others are progressing while he's entering into MOU with men of like feathers to mould their statue,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by wingmanII: 6:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Don't mind that fool ranting up and down abusing his superiors. He is obviously demented.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi: Nigeria’s Economy On Life Support Over N22.7trn Debt / NDDC Audit: Some Contractors, Banks Already Making Refunds - Akpabio / Abducted Abuja-Kaduna Train Victims: Pay Ransom To Terrorists, Gumi Tells FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.