Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,420 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom (16066 Views)

Ondo State Govt Partners With German Firm To Build $1.1billion Medical City / FG Signs $3.9bn Deal With Chinese Firm For Abuja-itakpe Railway Construction / 2019: 3rd Force Unites Against APC, PDP, As Agbakoba’s PT Signs Pact With Obj’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

What you copied and pasted including the other ignorant claims spewed in this thread.

Was thew price of land part of that basic cost?

Was the price of buying, shipping, clearing and transporting tools, machinery and equipment to the work site part of that copy and paste cost.?

Was the price of importing, feeding and housing engineers and power experts needed to work on the project for part of that cost?

Was new 58 km transmission line included in your basic cost?

Don't you want to show us your copy and paste basic cost with all the above included?

Shouldn't common sense tell you that basic cost in the USA is obviously not going to be the same basic cost in Nigeria.

Elementary school children get sense pass many of you for real.
If u want to rebut it.....post the basic costs including ur lame excuses.

Every countries in the world builds power plants including ur supposed clearing of lands grin and feeding experts too grin. Including transportation of machinery at $1000 per kw.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

What you copied and pasted including the other ignorant claims spewed in this thread.

Was thew price of land part of that basic cost?

Was the price of buying, shipping, clearing and transporting tools, machinery and equipment to the work site part of that copy and paste cost.?

Was the price of importing, feeding and housing engineers and power experts needed to work on the project for part of that cost?

Was new 58 km transmission line included in your basic cost?

Don't you want to show us your copy and paste basic cost with all the above included?

Shouldn't common sense tell you that basic cost in the USA is obviously not going to be the same basic cost in Nigeria.

Elementary school children get sense pass many of you for real.

You keep regurgitating this utter twaddle, even after many have tried in futility to hammer it home that other African projects include these technical and logistical and manpower and land considerations as well as the fact nobody builds a new power plant without transmission lines. Seems this simple notion will never percolate through.

2 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You keep regurgitating this utter twaddle, even after many have tried in futility to hammer it home that other African projects include these technical and logistical and manpower and land considerations as well as the fact nobody builds a new power plant without transmission lines. Seems this simple notion will never percolate through.
Lol.....I'm fed up jare. I'm out. He's too rigid, not flexible in reasoning at all.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Codes151(m): 8:20pm On Oct 28, 2017
Emir and dangote just bought into Akwa Ibom oil wells
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 28, 2017
Stop arguing with a BMC bot
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

As always, there are always a mountain of excuses, hiding under the unoriginal fact that not all conditions are perfectly equal. I have just gone through 3 different articles about the Blue Line and none has alluded to the roads being included in the cost estimate. You're free to supply links as to the full costs of the constituent parts of the project for us ignorant folk to learn.
For someone who lobs words like "ignorance" a lot, you've not even attempted anything resembling a coherent rebuttal of anything you disagree with. Just casts slurs and when all fails, starts rambling about IPOB.

1. Lagos Metro is sharing path with the associated projects like the 10 lane freeway at the same time so common sense whould tell you that there are associated cost.

2. Building Metro rail bridge across the lagoon from Lagos mainland to Lagos island is similar to what country?

3. Do you mind telling us how Ethiopia also built Metro rail bridge over the lagoon in their country?

4. Do you mind showing us how other countries built metro rail over marshy terrain and how much it cost them to do that?

Please show us their rail system in Ethiopia and lets compare, I'm actually daring you.

Again, your ignorance and shallow talk is appalling and nauseating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Unfortunately for you, all you keep repeating is the same ignorance and baseless assertions without facts.

Why is it so hard for you to show us the so called similar projects in similar environments with cost analysis compared with the same similar project in Nigeria.

If you are going to compare common sense and sane logic dictates that your show precisely the documented facts you based your comparisons on.

Your word of mouth is just word of mouth, speculation and silly ignorance. That's all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by JavaKonjo: 8:46pm On Oct 28, 2017
Then $5 Billion more and 20years later all you will see, is the half fenced plot where the power plant should be �����
Light no
Plant no

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201710270064.html

When in doubt, give it to Fashola.

Kudos..

I fink ur demented
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 9:09pm On Oct 28, 2017
PrecisionFx:

I fink ur demented

Coming from the same can't read and comprehend ipob loser with meager vocabulary.

You must have looked in the mirror.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Coming from the same can't read and comprehend ipob loser with meager vocabulary.

grin.

Thanks.

But that doesn't mean ur not demented.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 9:38pm On Oct 28, 2017
PrecisionFx:

Thanks.

But that doesn't mean ur not demented.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by QuestSeeker: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2017
COMPAQ:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/kano-emir-s-firm-dangote-nnpc-to-build-1-1bn-power-plant.html

After all the argument, this article doesn't suggest that it's the FG to build it. It's really a brainchild of Mobil producing in conjunction with Nnpc as JV partners. Means the design and costing would have been done by Mobil. FG doesn't have much stake other than to drop its share of the cash.

Now that's not still to say that it's not inflated, but I know for a fact that the major oil companies tend to overdesign.

I have seen a project costed by an oil major for one and a half times the cost of a smaller player.

All said and done, a few reasons why it Could still be genuinely overpriced.

Logistics - our ports, roads etc are so inefficient that is is really expensive to move equipment around. I saw a few posts comparing with Tanzania, but don't be surprised that Tanzania has a better port and road infrastructure than we do. After all, isn't conotnou port better than Lagos.

Beureacracy - our government processes are so slow and incompetent that any company working in Nigeria would price in the additional risk from delays caused by red tape.

Corruption in govt - to get your licence and permits, you need to bribe much more than almost everywhere else in Africa, not to talk of the world.

High use of expats. - Sadly we don't have people who can Utl lilies the highest technical and technological skills.

Security- the extra cost of security in Nigeria, especially in the Niger delta is very high.

Community-another major issue. Communities sieze equipment until marching ground is paid etc. Another significant cost.

High interest rates

Potential for devaluation of the naira that could impact the project.

There are probably a few more and the truth is that all of these could be a major risk to the project and it will all be priced into the project.

It is refreshing to read your insightful analysis. You took the words out of my mouth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

How many times u wan reply this post, Are u tipsy sir?

2 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 9:49pm On Oct 28, 2017
[s]
PrecisionFx:

How many times u wan reply this post, Are u tipsy sir?
[/s]

Copy and paste is always better when replying ipob trolls, saves time and energy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 9:53pm On Oct 28, 2017
COMPAQ:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/kano-emir-s-firm-dangote-nnpc-to-build-1-1bn-power-plant.html

After all the argument, this article doesn't suggest that it's the FG to build it. It's really a brainchild of Mobil producing in conjunction with Nnpc as JV partners. Means the design and costing would have been done by Mobil. [b][/b]FG doesn't have much stake other than to drop its share of the cash.
t.
What do you mean by this.This is a rather confused and confuing statement.

You are making assumptions not stated in the report. Thrre is nothing there to indicate NNPC still has any interest or that when they did it ws by JV partnership we simply are not given that information. what are they "dropping share of cash" in exchange for? Is it equity? I don't believe so. In fact if the company are able to sell electricity above a target rice then govement will not contribute a penny

The only concrete financial obligation of the government referenced is a Put call agreement which in effect guarantees that if they produce electricity they can sell it for a minimum price to the public and if the public will not or cannot pay the government willpay the difference or shortfall

2 Likes

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:
[s][/s]

Copy and paste is always better when replying ipob trolls, saves time and energy.
grin.
That's a higher high!
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 28, 2017
PrecisionFx:

grin.
That's a higher high!
leave this guy alone....abeg.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by deomelo: 11:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
aribisala0:
What do you mean by this.This is a rather confused and confuing statement.

You are making assumptions not stated in the report. Thrre is nothing there to indicate NNPC still has any interest or that when they did it ws by JV partnership we simply are not given that information. what are they "dropping share of cash" in exchange for? Is it equity? I don't believe so. In fact if the company are able to sell electricity above a target rice then govement will not contribute a penny

The only concrete financial obligation of the government referenced is a Put call agreement which in effect guarantees that if they produce electricity they can sell it for a minimum price to the public and if the public will not or cannot pay the government willpay the difference or shortfall

Are you minding these ignorant Igbos...?

They are very lousy when it comes to reading and comprehension.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by komodapson(m): 11:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

This is interesting considering the $1.1 billion bill for 540 MW. Gas-powered plants are one of the cheapest to build (considerably cheaper than coal plants) and the median costs for most gas plants in developing countries is about $1000 per KW. So you'd expect a bill of between $500m to $600m for this particular plant. But in this country where every infrastructural project seems to be absurdly inflated, it's no surprise it's costing double that. And it's apparently one of the cheapest. grin

You look at the cost of the Ikoyi link bridge or Kwankwaso's Kano flyover, or the projected costs for the 2nd Niger Bridge, or the projected costs for the interstate rail projects per km (or even Lagos' rail project and Amaechi and Duke's monorails) compared to similar projects in countries like Tanzania, Ethiopia etc and something is terribly wrong with the process in awarding these contracts. So many rotten scumbags feeding fat off the country.
so bros are we going to be looking at our coal fields, lying in dormant? honestly I'm not absolutely in support of the Paris agreement... trump reneged on the pact and he has returned Philadelphia coal miners back to the field
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by aribisala0(m): 11:47pm On Oct 28, 2017
deomelo:

Are you minding these ignorant Igbos...?

They are very lousy when it comes to reading and comprehension.
Ebolas are strange folk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by XXCASH: 1:20am On Oct 29, 2017
obailala:
I totally agree with you; $1.1billion for a 540mw gas plant absolutely doesn't add up.

I'm a power plant engineer with 14 years experience. The cost is fairly ok. Trust me

Note that I'm not a fan of this govt and don't see why this job was given to Fashola. But he seems to have started putting his acts together.

Lets hope for the best. Na only this country we get

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by GavelSlam: 1:26am On Oct 29, 2017
cstr1000:
One nincompoop is rambling about IPOB in the face of blatant inflationism by a dastard incompetent government.
Does amala and ewedu sap the brain of the necessary neurones needed for cognitive reasoning?
I never regarded that watery staple as a delicacy meant for homo sapiens. But it could be more sinister than I thought.

How much is government spending on it?
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by GavelSlam: 1:28am On Oct 29, 2017
baralatie:
you can build a 1100mw turbine for at most $650 million within three years and Mr Fashola is signing $1 billion for 540mw?
na wa o!

Is it government funded?
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by GavelSlam: 1:31am On Oct 29, 2017
mikehelp:
HOW I WAS ROBBED OF THE OPPORTUNITY TO BRING FOREIGN INVESTORS TO INVEST IN THIS 550MW IN AKWA IBOM.

Long before this power project came into the know...I vigorously pursued this project in 2010, spent my last kobo one it, but a certain politician frustrated my efforts...we only needed a letter from the state government in akwa ibom which is a sovereign guarantee for our investment,the politician who was the number 2 man in government then, refused to bring me to the governor...smh, now the project has gone to a hausa,man....God will help our youth and save us from this elders who don't want to ever see the youth grow....yesterday they told us we were the leader of tomorrow,now they are preventing us from being that leader...smh.....I have all the document as evidence should anyone doubt

And you are protecting this person's name?
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by GavelSlam: 1:40am On Oct 29, 2017
naijaguy77:

Fashola is not doing anything please. The Power Sector Roadmap was developed by the Obasanjo administration and finally implemented by the Jonathan administration.

Everything you are seeing happening now is simply what is expected. Fashola has not added a single word or punctuation to the Regulatory Framework for the Power sector in Nigeria.

But when there's no power you call him minister of darkness.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by CioAngels(f): 10:03am On Oct 29, 2017
Nawao, governor Okowa, what are you bringing to delta? He is busy selling what pa Samuel Ogbemudia brought to Midwest/Bendel then Delta. Okowa sold Delta line to make personal gain. Delta line is the only thing that brings Deltans together. Ask Okowa, what investiment he has brought to Delta, he will lie. Ibori and Uduaghan accomplices. Thieves Thieves.
Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by kjhova(m): 10:24am On Oct 29, 2017
deomelo:

I see where you are coming from, but the issue is private entities invest their own money and determining how much to pay for the project they are investing in based on their own cost analysis from top to bottom, for me or or any other bystander to say they are spending little or too much is just plain ignorance because I don't know anything, I don't even have access to whatever studies they did, their financial data or cost analysis needed to formulate any opinion on.

This being a private project and funded by private entities, it means apart from regulatory issues, they are not any of your concern and they owe you zero explanation per how and what they spend their money on because they only answer to their shareholders, not you or even me.

The reasoning behind your comment is germane and cannot b faulted. My comment was offered as contribution to public discuss and not meant as indictment of the project.

1 Like

Re: FG Signs Pact To Build $1 Billion Power Plant In Akwa Ibom by yemi15(m): 1:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
Pure wastage of money and a front to pillage the treasury as usual by project over-inflation? When did the going rate for $1 billion become 540 MW instead of the usual 1 000 MW or close? Or did this get affected by the the dollar rate? Lol, smh. What a country! I give up on this contraption!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi: Nigeria’s Economy On Life Support Over N22.7trn Debt / Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State / Eedris Abdulkareem: Nigerian Govt Covering Up For Gumi, Bandits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.