Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,212 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (1072) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4438584 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1069) (1070) (1071) (1072) (1073) (1074) (1075) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Helghast: 8:37pm On Aug 22, 2014
My favourite picture of the husky

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
MikeZA: I agree. But this leads to lack of training,equipment and low salaries which mostly equals to low morale among soldiers. As we've seen in the DRC when M23 had the government troops running back to Kinshasa while breaking the rules of war,this is also the case in Nigeria.

Hey, dummy, be sure of the facts before mentioning nigeria.

Nigerian soldiers are not poorly paid, poorly equipped or poorly trained.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 8:54pm On Aug 22, 2014
Henry120:

So what is the problem with them?

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
Henry120:

They're poorly trained and paid. How much man does a deployed Nigerian rifleman get?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:59pm On Aug 22, 2014
Henry120:

Stop lieing, that uniform in the photo south-african "musiwa" posted is from a game, and has nothing to do with reality.
I'm talking about the CR-21. READ FIRST and REPLY LATER.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:44pm On Aug 22, 2014
Helghast: I've noticed that many african countries prefer quantity over the quality of our soldiers, maybe that's why its so hard for many of us to protect our countries.

Nigeria has about 150,000 soldiers and we are over-stretched spreading all over our land mass to fight Boko Haram.

South Africa has 50,000 soldiers and that's 3 times smaller an army than Nigeria's... on your land mass somewhat bigger than Nigeria !

If Boko Haram was in South Africa, your country will collapse under the heavy pressure of an insurgency that appears and disappears at random in multiple locations you don't expect or predict, and mixed up with civilians to confuse you.

Large armies prevent large countries from being overrun by lightly armed threats that are very mobile and of no fixed permanent base and mixed up with civilians.

One man one rifle looks cheap, but hey, it will save you in COIN war. My boss told me in the office some days ago, he said..."Augustine, Boko Haram cannot survive in America, we have 100 million civilian guns including assault rifles, we will k.ill every Boko Haram fighter on our streets, the US Army will just arrive to pick up dead bodies".

One man, one rifle !

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:17pm On Aug 22, 2014
Msauza:

You are such a stupiiid, Gripen are equipped with a warning device to warn the pilot timeously about the impending danger from an incoming missile. The pilot would then take counter-measures to overcome the danger.

Eritrean MiG-29 jets in year 2001 had missile warning, radar warning, and counter measures and still got s.hot down in air to air combat.

Nowadays there are missiles that refuse to be confused by counter measures. Ethiopia will use South African Gripen jets for s.hooting practice. FACT !

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
Helghast:

Yeah Congo was a mess before the FIB

And I honestly don't believe that Nigeria needs 150k Soldiers, 2 thousand extensively trained and highly mobile troops equiped with Tavors and upgraded AKs supported by heavily armed Cobras and Igirigis *not sure if i spelt that right*.

With all of that they'd be able to take control of the entire northern region.

Sorry your idea is for video games warfare.

2,000 soldiers for about 950,000 sq km land mass of Nigeria ? Go ask Britain why they are using 130,000 soldiers to defend their approx 250,000 sq km land

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2014
@thymedcurry, you're welcome to this madhouse. You view quite a lot and haven't yet dropped a comment.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2014
MikeZA: They're poorly trained and paid. How much man does a deployed Nigerian rifleman get?

They're neither poorly paid or a they poorly trained. They earn enough to live a comfortable life.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2014
zaandrew: http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2014/08/22/south-africa-at-war-in-the-drc--the-inside-story

World class fraud, lies, propaganda and deception coming out the best place to expect it...South Africa

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
Msauza:

So what is the problem with them?

Ask America/Britain/NATO what was the problem with them in their war against Taliban in Afghanistan after 11 years of super power military show of combat capability that ended in a stalemate and withdrawal.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
MikeZA: I'm talking about the CR-21. READ FIRST and REPLY LATER.

Clown

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by zaandrew: 1:12am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Nigeria has about 150,000 soldiers and we are over-stretched spreading all over our land mass to fight Boko Haram.

South Africa has 50,000 soldiers and that's 3 times smaller an army than Nigeria's... on your land mass somewhat bigger than Nigeria !

If Boko Haram was in South Africa, your country will collapse under the heavy pressure of an insurgency that appears and disappears at random in multiple locations you don't expect or predict, and mixed up with civilians to confuse you.

Large armies prevent large countries from being overrun by lightly armed threats that are very mobile and of no fixed permanent base and mixed up with civilians.

One man one rifle looks cheap, but hey, it will save you in COIN war. My boss told me in the office some days ago, he said..."Augustine, Boko Haram cannot survive in America, we have 100 million civilian guns including assault rifles, we will k.ill every Boko Haram fighter on our streets, the US Army will just arrive to pick up dead bodies".

One man, one rifle !

but we don't have BH in south Africa, in fact southern Africa as no real threats other than some time stuff in moimbque. SA is spending at peace time levels where in Nigeria defence is one of the biggest things on the budget in SA it is one of the smallest. SA at full war time econmy would be able to easly fiels 350,000
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by zaandrew: 1:15am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

World class fraud, lies, propaganda and deception coming out the best place to expect it...South Africa

every you do not like is propergander, yet you have never ever been able to prove it because you are a dipshit moraan with no brains and a waist of oxygen.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Helghast: 2:02am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Sorry your idea is for video games warfare.

2,000 soldiers for about 950,000 sq km land mass of Nigeria ? Go ask Britain why they are using 130,000 soldiers to defend their approx 250,000 sq km land

Dude I didn't say you only need 2 thousand soldiers to protect an entire country, the two thousand soldiers I'm talking about would be soldiers who would be use as the main fighting force, once the two thousand soldiers complete a mission and remove B.H from a certain position, the army would then post other soldiers or police to act as guards
And make sure that B.H doesn't resurface in that area.

The 2000 soldiers are used as the main fighting force that secures an area then the army deploys guard to protect that area...

And don't forget that Britain has *REAL* enemies, with *REAL* Armies, the countries opressed by England pose a great threat to their safety, Russia, North korea etc... Are actual Countries with Armies not insurgents. Those guys need to maintain their strength because of the danger that surrounds them, unlike Nigeria which doesn't have any real enemies besides B.H, you don't have people pointing W.M.Ds and drones up your A** you guys will be practically safe once you deal with the insurgency problem.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Helghast: 2:04am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

One man, one rifle !

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:05am On Aug 23, 2014
zaandrew:

every you do not like is propergander, yet you have never ever been able to prove it because you are a dipshit moraan with no brains and a waist of oxygen.

You this old Navy chef-cook, you know nothing about war grin grin

Your Congo DRC war SANDF fortune teller wrote story and said M23 fired anti-aircraft rockets on towns and cities. LOL grin grin

Is there any weapon like that in this world? No, it does not exist.

That first lie has shown you a fraudulent South African propaganda story as usual.

He said SANDF had 200 troops fight 7,000 Seleka !!!!!! Second Big lie !!!!! grin grin

The truth is 400 SANDF and 1,500 Seleka !!!!

SANDF figure from South Africa, and Seleka figure from France.

The story is full of false information and so has ZERO credibility.

Sorry Mr. Fraudrewza, your story is a big lie from the pit of hell, better luck next time !

South African army is a ZERO and not a hero in Congo DRC war ! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 2:05am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Sounds like you have started mating a frog as I suggested
grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 2:11am On Aug 23, 2014

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by zaandrew: 6:48am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust: ....

Liking your own post again.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:42am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

When reports that you're overstretched came out 2 years ago, you denied them. Now, because it's suits you, you're happy to admit it. What a joke. Augub argues based on where the wind is blowing. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by thymedcurry(f): 7:43am On Aug 23, 2014
Henry120: @thymedcurry, you're welcome to this madhouse. You view quite a lot and haven't yet dropped a comment.

Ha! Allow me lurk in peace... grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:49am On Aug 23, 2014
The kak military of Naai-geria at it again...

http://www.nation.com.pk/international/22-Aug-2014/boko-haram-takes-over-another-nigeria-town

Boko Haram takes over another Nigeria town

KANO, Nigeria - Boko Haram has seized control of a town in northeastern Nigeria, the latest to fall into militant hands in the crisis-hit region and an indication of the group’s increasing territorial ambitions.
The insurgents have tended to use hit-and-run attacks in the past. The recent seizure of towns suggests a significant shift in strategy, more in keeping with their stated goal of carving out a strict Islamic state in northeastern Nigeria. Residents who fled the assault on the fallen town of Buni Yadi in Yobe state said attacks began late last month and the insurgents have since taken over the main government building.
The militants have reportedly raised their flag and carried out summary executions, including of two people who were caught smoking cigarettes. Abdullahi Bego, the spokesman for Yobe’s Governor Ibrahim Geidam, could not confirm the executions. But he told AFP: ‘As I speak there are no military in Buni Yadi and locals say that Boko Haram come and go as they please.
‘So many people from Buni Yadi have fled to the state capital Damaturu,’ he added. There was no immediate comment from the military in the Yobe state capital Damaturu or Abuja. But residents said the rebels, who massacred dozens of students at a boarding school in Buni Yadi in February and kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from neighbouring Borno state in April, had set up roadblocks.
They were also robbing people as they tried to flee. ‘I left Buni Yadi yesterday (Wednesday) because it was no longer safe for me and my family,’ said trader Surajo Muhammad. The gunmen ‘shot dead two men for smoking and they also killed a known drug peddler’, he added. Tijjani Bukar, who also fled, reported the same executions. ‘I couldn’t stay any longer because I came to realise these people have come to stay,’ he said. ‘I thought they would be there for a few days but from our understanding they have turned the town into their (territory).’
The United Nations has confirmed that Boko Haram had seized control of the towns of Damboa and Gwoza in Borno state in recent weeks. There are indications that Damboa was retaken by the military in an offensive earlier this month. ‘The capture and holding of territory presents a significant evolution in Boko Haram’s modus operandi,’ said Ryan Cummings, chief Africa analyst at the South Africa-based crisis management group Red 24.

He told AFP that trend became evident in April, with many districts in the northeast threatened by an Islamist takeover and Nigeria’s embattled military struggling to reverse the rebel gains. A group of soldiers in Borno staged a mutiny this week after being ordered to retake Gwoza on the grounds that they had not been provided adequate weapons to fight the well-armed militants.
Cummings said Boko Haram’s recent advances indicated the group was ‘slowly but surely out achieving its primary goal - the creation of a caliphate in northern-eastern Nigeria governed under sharia law.’ Yobe, Borno and Adamawa states have been under a state of emergency since May last year and reliable information on the conflict has proved difficult to obtain. Few humanitarian workers are on the ground and the military has sought to restrict the flow of information.
Jacob Zenn, a fellow at the US-based Jamestown Foundation, said the insurgents have systematically destroyed roads and bridges in the northeast, ‘making it difficult for the Nigerian military to send reinforcements’. Boko Haram is blamed for killing more than 10,000 people since its uprising began in 2009 and their violence has forced more than 600,000 people from their homes, according to the UN.
Cummings said the situation may deteriorate further. ‘With the Nigerian military struggling to defend, let alone recapture Boko Haram-held territory, it can be said with little contention that the sect will seek to assimilate further territory,’ he added in an email exchange. One possibility was an advance on Borno’s capital, Maiduguri, he said.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:55am On Aug 23, 2014
Rubbish military here. Rubbish country. Rubbish demo-crazy.

Soldiers harass Nigerian daily over report on military

[...]

Soldiers on Thursday stormed the offices of the Daily Trust in the northeastern city of Maiduguri after a story published by the paper on Wednesday alleged that Nigerian soldiers had refused orders to fight Boko Haram militants until they received better weapons, according to news reports. Mannir Dan-Ali, the paper's editor-in-chief, told CPJ that the story, titled "Boko Haram Crisis: Soldiers revolt over inadequate weapons," was based on interviews with soldiers. The BBC had also reported on the soldiers' mutiny, which military officials said they were investigating.

The soldiers detained two managers of the paper, Jamilu Aliyu and Aminu Ado, at army headquarters, where they were told to stop criticizing the military in the paper, Dan-Ali told CPJ. The two were released after an hour.

The military released a statement that said the Daily Trust should retract the story and, in the future, contact the military for any story on the army or national security. "Failure to do so would henceforth attract sanctions," the statement said. There were no specific sanctions mentioned. Dan-Ali told CPJ the paper stood by its story and would not publish a retraction. [...]

http://www.cpj.org/2014/08/soldiers-harass-nigerian-daily-over-report-on-mili.php
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 7:58am On Aug 23, 2014
What does one say?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28884665

Boko Haram crisis: Nigeria militants 'seize police academy'

Northern Nigeria's riot police training academy has been overrun by Boko Haram Islamist militants, a witness in Borno state has told the BBC.

Shots were heard after the militants arrived in three armoured vehicles and on dozens of motorcycles, he said.

A police spokesman confirmed the attack while a senior security source said it had not been possible to communicate with the academy since Wednesday.

The Liman Kara college is near Gwoza town, seized by Boko Haram this month.

Thousands have been killed across north-eastern Nigeria since Boko Haram launched its violent campaign for an Islamic state in 2009.
[...]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by zaandrew: 8:21am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Your Congo DRC war SANDF fortune teller wrote story and said M23 fired anti-aircraft rockets on towns and cities. LOL grin grin

That first lie has shown you a fraudulent South African propaganda story as usual.

He said SANDF had 200 troops fight 7,000 Seleka !!!!!! Second Big lie !!!!! grin grin

Sorry Mr. Fraudrewza, your story is a big lie from the pit of hell, better luck next time !

He is a reporta. I am glade he did not call a R4 a macgin gun. He was talking about a MLRS the name is what gave it away.

There where 7000 seleka. He never said all of them took part in the attack.

No it was 250 odd vs 3000. Only half the number of partroopers where deployed. The 1500 is old numbers.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:09am On Aug 23, 2014
Henry120:

They're neither poorly paid or a they poorly trained. They earn enough to live a comfortable life.
How much do they get? Last time I check it was around R1000. They're poorly trained and run when the battlefield warms up.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:10am On Aug 23, 2014
Henry120:

Clown
I'm talking about the CR-21 bullpup rifle which was proposed to replace the R4,R5 etc. Typical!!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:13am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Yes,M23 had multiple rocket launchers,mortars and the D30 122mm howitzer.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by patches689: 9:14am On Aug 23, 2014
MikeZA: SA exports small vessels too. Denel is sub-contracted in a multi-billion deal to supply modular turrets to Malaysia. Bigger than ..................... Always bigger and better.
we sold like 300 ingwe to iraq
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 9:15am On Aug 23, 2014
agaugust:

Our Lieutenant Colonel didn't run away from the battlefield,like Nigerian army Lieutenant Colonel Agu did.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1069) (1070) (1071) (1072) (1073) (1074) (1075) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.