Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4429133 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by igboboy1(m): 8:43am On Mar 20, 2010
who dey talk say na egypt because their army plenty?,

No be Smal Israel beat dem 4 times plus all those dullard arab combined?

For war size doesnt count,

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ElRazur: 9:02am On Mar 20, 2010
igbo boy:

Poor planning, under-estimating the enemy, etc cost egypt the war.

Israel have one of the most advance jet fighter in the region and effectively controlled the sky as at the time. Also, there was the element of surprise etc.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by stiyke(m): 9:37am On Mar 20, 2010
igbo boy:

My dear you cant equate egypt to Isreal, in that Isreali arab war, isreal marched just few kilometers to taking Cairo. On africa, Egypt should be the best cause they have fought lots of wars, their hardwares are also outstanding, south africa comes second, and nigeria ,

Nigeria with all its money cant boast of up to 15fighter jets. They went and bought silly chineese fighter jets 6 in number. thats all that have oohh. They dont even have F16 that is being phazed out by most countries. The mig fighter jets they bought from Soviet union is wasting away. those ones cant even fly now. Same with their Tanks old tanks, while as early as 1998 South Africa was exporting computerised Tanks to Libya.
Nigeria has to get its acts together. They are only good at infantry. but no equip.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by redsun(m): 9:57am On Mar 20, 2010
Nigerian military just like every other thing is at the lowest ebb,a force that can be subdued by country like britain,isreal and america in less than an hour.

Nigerian top military cadres are just money hungry,fat belly politicians in uniform.Most people join the military in nigeria because it is a paved and authoritative gateway to corruption,bullying and looting not to defend the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by igboboy1(m): 7:00am On Mar 22, 2010
ElRazur:

Poor planning, under-estimating the enemy, etc cost egypt the war.

Israel have one of the most advance jet fighter in the region and effectively controlled the sky as at the time. Also, there was the element of surprise etc.

I beg to differ on your reasons, the arabs including egypt did their maths but dem no fit win

Elements of surprise or no element of suprise, on any given day israel would give dem close to flawless victory, In fact it was only in the six day war after israel got ample evidence about an imminent arab invasion did they strike first. Apart from that the arabs have been attacking first trying to use the element of surprise and on each occasion got repelled by the israelis.

Couple of weeks after israel was formed in an era of no f16s the arabs attacked (their element of suprise_) but were defeated. same thing in the yom kippur war the arabs used element of surpruse but were defeated,

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by samdigo(m): 7:59am On Nov 18, 2010
nigerias military looks preety professional here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4lXQS-2KQ
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by PeeDaVinci: 12:07pm On Nov 18, 2010
Defining a strong military based on just the ammunition and personnels no longer holds, it is now based on alliances built (with the very powerful and not-so-powerful countries). Nigeria appears to be much stronger than cameroun, however, we know we cant defeat the camerounians. Iraq-Kuwait war is another proof of this
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TheClown: 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2010
Hey, what is wrong with AK47? Its still the best assault rifle in the world!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Epiphany(m): 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2010
samdigo:

nigerias military looks preety professional here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4lXQS-2KQ

Not bad, really. I actually expected the rope to break or to watch one of the guys miss his hold when they were jumping off the helicopter. Lol

But really, a lot more work has to be done concerning the military. I think majority of them are just a bunch of unprofessional people who joined the armed forces because there was nothing else for them to do. A lot of them may not have any qualifications and have no other means of livelihood.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OmoTier1(m): 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2010
Funny how people claim South Africa military is the strongest yet she has never fought and won in any Major conflict in Africa. I thought it was the man who made his opponent surrender that was the strongest man in the fight and not the man with the biggest muscles?

Those who think Nigeria military are unprofessional I guess you truly do not know anything about the Nigerian military. For goodness sake, do not equate the Nigeria military to the Nigeria Army! They are not the same thing.

Yes when it comes to equipment, Nigeria military is currently renewing much of her weaponary due to years of neglect. And by the way, can someone try to justify South Africa's purchase and/or interest of purchase of A400M, Euro Fighter jets costing millions of Dollars. Which country in Southern Africa is a serious treat to SA? Beside other power brokers in Africa who could pose serious treat to SA reside in regions outside Southern Africa! Excuse my shortcomings; other than economic partnership/knowledge exchange but I think SA purchase of these highly sophisticated military planes is just for showmanship/big boys club thingy!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AjanleKoko: 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

Funny how people claim South Africa military is the strongest yet she has never fought and won in any Major conflict in Africa. I thought it was the man who made his opponent surrender that was the strongest man in the fight and not the man with the biggest muscles?

Those who think Nigeria military are unprofessional I guess you truly do not know anything about the Nigerian military. For goodness sake, do not equate the Nigeria military to the Nigeria Army! They are not the same thing.

Yes when it comes to equipment, Nigeria military is currently renewing much of her weaponary due to years of neglect. And by the way, can someone try to justify South Africa's purchase and/or interest of purchase of A400M, Euro Fighter jets costing millions of Dollars. Which country in Southern Africa is a serious treat to SA? Beside other power brokers in Africa who could pose serious treat to SA reside in regions outside Southern Africa! Excuse my shortcomings; other than economic partnership/knowledge exchange but I think SA purchase of these highly sophisticated military planes is just for showmanship/big boys club thingy!

You have a point, though I don't agree with you. SA developed strong military and intelligence capabilities during the apartheid years. Just like Nigeria, they've never been involved in any modern conflict. Nigeria's edge is the many peace-keeping duties that it has undertaken over the years. Nigeria also have not been tried to the level of Yom Kippur. In fact the military's handling of Bakassi has been less than desirable.

Not to say that we don't have trained and capable military officials. We do, but we have obvious defects in our strategic planning, defence capacity building, we don't have a highly competent intelligence framework, and our standing force must be less than the likes of Egypt. No defence R&grin, no transparency in the distribution of command positions . . . do I need to go further?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by idupaul: 4:01pm On Nov 18, 2010
Nigeria Military had potential in the early 80s but its now jst a rag tag force that uses dangote trucks and ifesinachi buses to convey troops . S and T elements of the army is dead, the airfoce cant boast of a ready squadron of fighters, We currently do nt have any air superiority fighter, Armour unit is in bad shape and is only now effective at rioters where dead beat ferret runners are packe to deter rioters in jos, the navy is in a mess as all our frigates are currently in really bad shape
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by medjai(m): 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2010
Nigeria was once rated as having the best foot soldiers in the but that's history now. . .
Personally, I dont believe in our Defence apparatuses. I dont think the Nigerian military is any better than the Lord Resistance Army or any other local militia you'll find around. It's only being reckoned with because of the various peacekeeping missions it participated in in time past.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
Strangleyo said:

Let's get this in perspective, if the US or UK armies regarded human life in the same sense that the Nigeria army does (Ijaw massacre as an example), Afghanistan would today be a parking lot.

Nigeria's army is simply incompetent. They are badly trained, they are badly equipped, and they have no moral authority.

And their equipment is a joke. For a country with such a large shore as ours, we don't even have a proper naval fleet. Piracy is highest around our coast only 2nd to Somalia's.

All in all. Top 5, I doubt it.

I doubt we could even raise an army to stop an invasion. We're so disorganized.

As a nation we don't even know how many people live within our borders.

Have any of you loudmouths ever once inspected or examined the Nigerian military armoury? Do you know anything about their training regimes and programmes? Their weapons procurement regimes?

An ignorant creep like you just comes in here mouthing garbage off the top of his head without doing any real research?

Do spare us your rubbish.

The people of Sierra Leone, Liberia, the Niger Delta, Somalia etc do not share your ignorant ideas with regard to the Nigerian military, of whose firepower and effectiveness they are living witnesses, with you a faraway, spiteful, ignorant know-nothing.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Onlytruth(m): 8:16pm On Nov 18, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Strangleyo said:

Have any of you loudmouths ever once inspected or examined the Nigerian military armoury? Do you know anything about their training regimes and programmes? Their weapons procurement regimes?

An ignorant creep like you just comes in here mouthing garbage off the top of his head without doing any real research?

The people of[size=16pt] Sierra Leone[/size], Liberia, the Niger Delta, Somalia etc do not share your ignorant ideas with regard to the Nigerian military, of whose firepower and effectiveness they are living witnesses, with you a faraway, spiteful, ignorant know-nothing.

Nna Nigerian military was seriously rubbished by a Siera Leonian rebel calling himself "General Mosquito" who pinned them down in Freetown and never allowed them to operate outside of Freetown.

The truth is that Nigerian military has NOT been tested. Something tells me that Nigeria cannot win any international conflict, even with a Chad or Cameroun.

All these local bravado is not fooling anyone. undecided undecided
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by seanet02: 9:22pm On Nov 18, 2010
What happened when you put almajiris in the army? Incompetence, inexperience, poor planning, lack of modern warfare. The north is Nigerias no 1 problem in the military.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by ikennahill: 9:50pm On Nov 18, 2010
Kids talk
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chrismojo: 7:41am On Dec 28, 2010
being truthful, although Nigeria, is the best because they have the best land troops worldwide. i can remember Nigeria single handedly captured the former president of my country(Liberia) Tailor. the USA military has to pay Nigeria because they know Nigeria is good when it comes to ground troops. but for the strongest i think is Egypt, South Africa and then Nigeria
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Strangleyo said:

The people of Sierra Leone, Liberia, the Niger Delta, Somalia etc do not share your ignorant ideas with regard to the Nigerian military, of whose firepower and effectiveness they are living witnesses, with you a faraway, spiteful, ignorant know-nothing.

Rubbish!
This is how Super Eagles dey beat the likes of Lesotho and Guinea, come dey beat chest.
You're talking of millitary prowess and you're using the likes of Sierra Leone and Liberia as an example. That doesn't make any sense, sorry. Faced with decent opposition, i wonder how the Nigerian Army will do in the field?
I don't have to be privy to weapons procurement meetings. We see the cream of the Nigerian air force and Navy and we clearly see how lacking they are. We see the ancient Armoured Personnel Carriers the Nigerian Army goes around in. They might as well have no plating, their armor can barely defeat heavy machine gun rounds, not to talk of RPGs!
We've seen how backward we are in rocketry. We see how backward our home grown defense industry is, we only started churning out NATO 7.62mm bullets a few years back, i'm not sure if we even make ordinary mortars here.

The Egyptian Air force honed their talents preparing for an possible conflict in the Middle East. They'll cream the Nigerian Air force in one day. Ditto for the South Africans.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by TippyTop(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2010
texazzpete:

You're talking of millitary prowess and you're using the likes of Sierra Leone and Liberia as an example. That doesn't make any sense, sorry. Faced with decent opposition, i wonder how the Nigerian Army will do in the field?

So why is America regarded as a great military nation when it only fights the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq but refusing to face "real" opponents like the North Koreans?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chrismojo: 6:01pm On Dec 28, 2010
@TEXAZZPETE,
WHY USING OFFENSIVE WORDS ON PEOPLE OVER ISSUES THAT PAYS YOU NOTHING. IT REALLY HURTS HOW PEOPLE MISBEHAVE IN ISSUES LIKE THIS. PEOPLE ONLY SAY THEIR OPINION THEN YOU SAY YOURS. IT DOES NOT CALL FOR CONFLICTS DEAR. IT MAKES NO SENSE. WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT LIBERIA HAVING SAME OPINION WITH ME, I AM A LIBERIAN, AND HERE PEOPLE HAVE SAME NOTION ABOUT THE NIGERIAN LAND TROOPS. REMEMBER WHAT I MENTIONED EARLIER"LAND TROOPS" BY THE WAY I AM NOT TRYING TO PRAISE YOUR COUNTRY , I AM ONLY SAYING MY OPINION. PLEASE MY DEAR LEARN HOW TO BE OPEN AND FREE MINDED TO PEOPLE
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 7:05pm On Dec 28, 2010
Tippy Top:

So why is America regarded as a great military nation when it only fights the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq but refusing to face "real" opponents like the North Koreans?

Iraq had perhaps the strongest army in the Middle East (Excluding the Israelis of course, and on par with the Iranians) when the Americans struck. In a conventional warfare situation, the North Koreans aren't much stronger.

Why would the US take on North Korea when the end result will just be a devastated Korea (both North and South)?

Believe me, though, if the North sends troops across the DMZ, killing American soldiers stationed there in the process, you'll get the war you're probably hoping for.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by texazzpete(m): 7:06pm On Dec 28, 2010
chrismojo:

@TEXAZZPETE,
WHY USING OFFENSIVE WORDS ON PEOPLE OVER ISSUES THAT PAYS YOU NOTHING. IT REALLY HURTS HOW PEOPLE MISBEHAVE IN ISSUES LIKE THIS. PEOPLE ONLY SAY THEIR OPINION THEN YOU SAY YOURS. IT DOES NOT CALL FOR CONFLICTS DEAR. IT MAKES NO SENSE. WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT LIBERIA HAVING SAME OPINION WITH ME, I AM A LIBERIAN, AND HERE PEOPLE HAVE SAME NOTION ABOUT THE NIGERIAN LAND TROOPS. REMEMBER WHAT I MENTIONED EARLIER"LAND TROOPS" BY THE WAY I AM NOT TRYING TO PRAISE YOUR COUNTRY , I AM ONLY SAYING MY OPINION. PLEASE MY DEAR LEARN HOW TO BE OPEN AND FREE MINDED TO PEOPLE

All i said was 'it makes no sense'.

For your own good, develop a thicker skin.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2010
Apartheid South Africa used to have nuclear weapons, but at the end of apartheid, the West could not have a black nation in control of nuclear weapons so they had to dismantle them. I think the strongest military, or should I say battle hardened is the Ethiopian military. They have fought the Eritreans, Somali militants in the Ogaden Region of Ethiopia and the Islamic Courts of Somalia.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by violent(m): 7:55pm On Dec 28, 2010
If Nigerian military ranks top 3 in the list, then i shudder to think of how pathetic other country's military strength must be.  Our military don't even have access to comprehensive database or real time security feeds on internal and external issues.  We wouldn't even know if a missile is en route to the National Assembly {hopefully so} as we speak!

Warfare has  transgressed the boundaries of using numbers to defend your territory, your enemy could be a thousand miles away and bomb your árse down while taking a piss--that's what i call sophistication, that's what a trusted military should look like.

Egypt is the best African military, South Africa only come a distant second. Libya will take the third place.

Nigeria cannot even stand countries lie Lebanon, Nepal, Afghanistan or Philippines.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dayokanu(m): 7:58pm On Dec 28, 2010
I think its either MEND or OPC
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by banom(m): 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2010
a Biafran Army will be the greatest in Africa and beyond.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Omosorire: 8:38pm On Dec 28, 2010
The armed forces of Egypt are the largest on the African continent and one of the biggest in the world (ranked 11th), consisting of the Egyptian Army, Egyptian Navy, Egyptian Air Force and Egyptian Air Defense Command.

Egypt maintains a large paramilitary force under the control of the Ministry of Interior. They number around 250,000 strong and are known as the Central Security Forces. The government also has a relatively strong National Guard and Border Security Forces however they, unlike the Central Security Forces, come under the control of the Ministry of Defence and are reported to number 60,000 and 20,000 respectively.

The Commander-in-Chief is Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi. The Chief of Staff is Lt. Gen. Sami Hafez Enan.

The armed forces inventory includes equipment from the United States, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, the former Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China. Equipment from the former Soviet Union is being progressively replaced by more modern American, French, and British equipment, a significant portion of which is built under license in Egypt, such as the M1 Abrams tank. To bolster stability and moderation in the region, Egypt has provided military assistance and training to a number of African and Arab states. Although not a NATO member, Egypt remains a strong military and strategic partner and is a participant in NATO's Mediterranean Dialogue forum. The Egyptian Armed Forces is considered to be the strongest military power in Africa and the Middle East. Egypt is the only Arab country with a spy satellite and will launch another one by the end of 2007.

Army

The armed forces inventory includes equipment from the United States, France, Brazil, the United Kingdom, the former Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China. Equipment from the former Soviet Union is being progressively replaced by more modern American, French, and British equipment, a significant portion of which is built under license in Egypt, such as the M1 Abrams tank which makes Egypt the owner of the biggest number of latest generation MBTs, and the second after Syria in case of the older generations.

The Egyptian Army having the largest number of equipment, and personnel, beside having many co-training operations with other countries like the United States, and a leading modern technology warfare, is thought to be the strongest in both Africa and the Middle East.

Air Force

The Egyptian Air Force or EAF is the aviation branch of the Egyptian Armed Forces. Currently, the backbone of the EAF is the F-16. The Mirage 2000 is the other modern interceptor used by the EAF. It has over 579 combat aircraft and 149 armed helicopters as it continues to fly extensively upgraded MiG-21s, F-7 Skybolts, F-4 Phantom, Dassault Mirage Vs, and C-130 Hercules among other planes. The Air Force is undergoing massive modernization. Mikoyan confirmed that talks with Egypt are underway for the possible sale of Mig-29SMT jet-fighters.

Navy

Although the Egyptian Navy is the smallest branch of the military, it is large by Middle Eastern standards. It has a total of 20,000 personnel.

The Egyptian Navy is known to be the strongest in Africa and the Middle East in spite of the rapid growing of other countries navies within the region.

Some fleet units are stationed in the Red Sea, but the bulk of the force remains in the Mediterranean. Navy headquarters and the main operational and training base are located at Ras at Tin near Alexandria.

Paramilitary Forces

Paramilitary Forces number around 330,000 and consist of the Central Security Forces, the National Guard, the Border Guard Forces and the Coast Guard.

* Central Security Forces: under the control of the Ministry of the Interior. It is the law enforcement authority in the country. The Central Security Forces, number around 250,000 personnel.

* National Guard: under the control of the Ministry of Defense and numbers about 60,000.

* Border Guard Forces: under the control of the Ministry of Defense and numbers about 20,000.

* Coast Guard: is responsible for the onshore protection of public installations near the coast and the patrol of coastal waters to prevent smuggling. With a force of 2,000 personnel, it has an inventory consisting of about thirty large patrol craft (each between twenty and thirty meters in length) and twenty smaller Bertram-class coastal patrol craft built in the United States.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by OchiAgha2(m): 8:44pm On Dec 28, 2010
If Egypt's military is so strong, how come Israel defeated them in the Six-Day War? The Israeli military captured the Sinai peninsula very easily. And Israel also defeated Syria and Jordan as well. Size does not always matter. That is something that I admire about Israel. They have the strongest military in the Middle East.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Kay17: 8:46pm On Dec 28, 2010
It was mandela that unilaterally disarmed the nuclear bombs. Sa is not a signatory of npt. Keeping nukes is dangerous and expensive. We have the unreliable and unstable pakistan. Imagine the talibans with those nukes. Christians and moderate muslims are done for.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Olaedo1: 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

If Egypt's military is so strong, how come Israel defeated them in the Six-Day War? The Israeli military captured the Sinai peninsula very easily. And Israel also defeated Syria and Jordan as well. Size does not always matter. That is something that I admire about Israel. They have the strongest military in the Middle East.

We must remember that just because Egypt was defeated by Israel some time back, doesn't me that it is not a strong army nor the strongest in Africa. Another thing that we have to take into consideration when it comes to the Israeli army is that the US gives $1 Billion annually to their military,both cash and equipment.If the same was reciprocated to the surrounding countries I doubt Israel would be where it's at in terms of prowess.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by xterra2(m): 9:22pm On Dec 28, 2010
Good, i like military threads smiley but in my own opinion

Strongest in Africa,
1 Egypt no doubt about that although my link below is a bit bad they are still the best, with diesel powered submarine and a good navy and army, easily the besy
2. Algeria - the Su-30 is a very capable fighter, beats the F-15 every time, which never had a loss, also it beats all american 4/4.5 fighter jet, e.g F-15,16 and 18
3.Morocco- Uses F-16 block D also has some Electronic warfare planes,
---
4.Nigeria- with the delivery of the J-7 airguard (or F-7 whichever joor) boosted the airforce ability, with the navy warships that have been repaired, + have good training
5.South Africa, - it placed an order of the saab gripen but has not yet recive them ( last time i checked) thereby lacking capable fighter jets thats why i put them below Nigeria,

-----
Um you may abuse the soldiers, killing civilians, entering molue for free or maltreating innocent people but that doesnt mean they are not trained or capable,

Sources:
1. (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1284905)
2. (http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/comparison-f15-su30-1.html)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.