Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,749 members, 7,820,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

Jonathan Speaks On Atiku, Fayose For President; Buhari's Anti-Corruption War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Speaks On Atiku, Fayose For President; Buhari's Anti-Corruption War (622 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Speaks Pidgin: 'Why I Dey Support Atiku Not Buhari' (WATCH) / Reno Omokri's Tweet About Kachikwu, Atiku, Fayose & Buhari Got Twitter Boiling / PDP Settles For Atiku & Fayose As Presidential Candidate & VP Respectively - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Jonathan Speaks On Atiku, Fayose For President; Buhari's Anti-Corruption War by AnnaKareninaFan: 8:20am On Nov 12, 2017
Former president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has opened up for the first time on reports that he may run for president in 2019. The Bayelsa-born leader of the People’s Democratic Party(PDP) recently met with foremost publisher Otunba Dele Momodu, the publisher of Ovation titles. Below is an excerpt from a recent op-ed titled ‘An Afternoon With Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’ as written by Momodu:

……………………

“Sir, will you run in 2019?” I fired the shot from the hip. I’m not sure he anticipated this important question at the time it came. “Contest again? No. People come to me every day saying they want me back. I’m always moved to tears whenever I go out and see the huge crowds shouting GEJ, we want you, even in the North. Instead of getting swollen headed, I actually reflect on my achievements and mistakes and feel humbled and feel very sober… I have never been a man of inordinate ambition. I’m a man of very modest means. I hardly travel because of the logistical costs. I’ve played my part and I have moved on.”

“What if your party decides to invite you again?’ I probed deeper. “Are you not aware that our Party has zoned the Presidency to the North, and the Chairmanship to the South?” he queried. I gave him my permutations but he insisted that the two major Parties are highly inclined to produce candidates from the North. “Even Fayose that has declared his interest may face big challenges because of the decision of our party…” he opined.

“So there is no way you can ever contest again?” I fired again and he returned the fire instantaneously, “I’m not God but I sincerely doubt the possibility…” he said with finality. I dropped the subject as it was not my intention to put him on the spot, like that.

“How will you rate the Buhari government so far?” another tricky question, I felt. “What do you think Dele?… You are their friend…” I kept mute “Honestly speaking, they have tried in the area of security and fighting corruption, even if they’ve tilted more towards us… But we did a lot in our time in the area of agriculture, transport, managing the economy, rule of law, free and fair elections… Only Nigerians can judge… It won’t be fair of me to pass verdict so soon on my immediate successor… I knew they would hit brick-walls on some of their promises, especially the school feeding program and the payment of N5,000 to unemployed graduates… We worked on feasibility studies on them in the past and realised Nigeria could not afford it… It is always the job of opposition to over-promise but reality of governance is always different…”, he said, animatedly.

I could see and feel this was his forte. He spoke confidently and eloquently about the art and science of governance. He said the figures are still fresh in his memories. I decided to digress again. What does he think about Alhaji Atiku Abubakar’s chances. “He can’t get the APC ticket. If Atiku gets our party ticket, he would compete well. He’s always a passionate politician. But he would have to reach out to our boss, Baba OBJ, the boss of all bosses. We’ve all learnt at different times that you ignore OBJ at your own peril. OBJ has the magic wand, respected at home and abroad…” speaking like a penitent student. Experience, they say, is the best teacher.

If PDP picks a Northern candidate, where does he expect the running mate to come from, I asked. “Strategically, since Professor Osinbajo is already running with Buhari, the South South and South East, remain the most fertile grounds. And there are many brilliant people there waiting for the chance. The Governors control some of the richest states in Nigeria except Lagos…” he posited.

http://dawntodusknews.com/goodluck-jonathan-speaks-2019-electionfayose-president-president-buharis-anti-corruption-war/

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/11/11/an-afternoon-with-ex-president-goodluck-jonathan/

Re: Jonathan Speaks On Atiku, Fayose For President; Buhari's Anti-Corruption War by Mynd44: 8:22am On Nov 12, 2017
Re: Jonathan Speaks On Atiku, Fayose For President; Buhari's Anti-Corruption War by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 12, 2017
Ineffectual something speaking.........

1 Like 1 Share

(1)

215 MW Kaduna Power Plant: And How Nigerians Are Being Cheated / Obasanjo Shocks Nigerians, Says ‘I Did Not Tear My PDP Membership Card’ / We Have No Alternative To Buhari At This Time — Gov Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.