Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,012 members, 7,956,749 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:11 PM

Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers (12658 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by fumiswtpusytwo(f): 11:16am On Nov 16, 2017
Even though I am yoruba muslim ,i will pick Chinua achebe over wole soyinka 1000 times.
The man is just too intelligent.
Which he was alive,i would have bleeped him.because I get wet when I see great men.

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Rnbstar1(m): 11:17am On Nov 16, 2017
Angelb4:
If Chinua Achebe is a modern writer, I wonder what I am.
when the arrow of god falls on the man of the people things fall apart, we find Girls at war then we would have to Beware of soul brothers because we are No longer at easy on the Anthills of savanna since There was a country. Marcello Piper.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by austonclint(m): 11:17am On Nov 16, 2017
hhh
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by ArchangeLucifer: 11:18am On Nov 16, 2017
moscobabs:

I am sure many people will agree with me that D.O Fagunwa and JF Odunjo are greatest writes than both Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.

Try to read all Alawiye, Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole and Igbo elegbeje and testify.

E pain you abi?

6 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by anonimi: 11:19am On Nov 16, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
I think Their Was A Country was that monument.

Are you joking or seriously joking, Oga Sapio?
How many primary school and secondary school students can go on excursion to "Their was a Country"? shocked

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by ArchangeLucifer: 11:20am On Nov 16, 2017
fumiswtpusytwo:
Even though I am yoruba muslim ,i will pick Chinua achebe over wole soyinka 1000 times.
Which he was alive,i would have bleeped him.because I get wet when I see great men.

Bros you well so?
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Stormyweather(m): 11:20am On Nov 16, 2017
Angelb4:
the term is used by centuries
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by BiiDii(m): 11:24am On Nov 16, 2017
"Living fire begat cold impotent ash". My favourite quote from Things fall Apart.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:26am On Nov 16, 2017
anonimi:

Are you joking or seriously joking, Oga Sapio?
How many primary school and secondary school students can go on excursion to "Their was a Country"? shocked

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68
Lol. I get you. My point is, teaching through words too is impact. It is through literature that identities are created. It is through the words, or better put, control that minds are shaped. I get you though but I don't hold that against him. I'd first examine his actions in his field before I pick on his actions outside it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by anonimi: 11:37am On Nov 16, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Lol. I get you. My point is, teaching through words too is impact. It is through literature that identities are created. It is through the words, or better put, control that minds are shaped. I get you though but I don't hold that against him. I'd first examine his actions in his field before I pick on his actions outside it.

I know sey as you be sapiosexy you go get me.
Only that you are still cutting the late man too much slack.
He made tons of money selling his understanding of Igbo culture to the world.
The least he could have done is to have a Foundation that will outlive him by systematically researching, developing and propagating his culture among his own people. Such would have helped shift focus away from only monetary pursuit to academic and socio-cultural values enhancement.
He failed woefully on that account and all his wealth is wasted as it cannot generate collective growth and prosperity for his Igbo people anchored on education.
He claimed to be a traditionalist but lived the worst aspect of modern people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3473612_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3401521_cannoteatmoney_jpegaebb2a352ae295fc9aa7a61c24b4203c

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 16, 2017
Iamtipsyy:
May his soul rest in peace,nobody wants to write again sef
Chimamanda Adicie is stepping into his shoes.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by ifyboy60(m): 11:41am On Nov 16, 2017
soberdrunk:
I mean no disrespect but i honestly think there is a big difference between 'pioneering' and rating someone as the 'best', i reckon he is a major pioneer of African writing but there are works from some other African writers that are better than his in terms of content and imagination. My number one African writer remains Nyengi Koin, her book 'Time changes yesterday' still remains my number1 book followed by "The bottled leopard" by Chukwuemeka Ike..........
in literature, everyone has different views but for most of us he is simply the best.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by ifyboy60(m): 11:43am On Nov 16, 2017
paradigmshift:
the man is good no doubt but this man and soyinka, who dope pass ?
different genre of writers I think. so not much to compare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by pafisayo(m): 11:44am On Nov 16, 2017
fumiswtpusytwo:

Lol u will bleep him just like that? Anyways e is a Great Man but " there was once a country - d Biafran tale is '' in my own opinion a biased tale.
You are graciously beautiful thou xoxo
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by paradigmshift(m): 11:45am On Nov 16, 2017
ifyboy60:

different genre of writers I think. so not much to compare
spot on
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by kay29000(m): 11:47am On Nov 16, 2017
Still haven't read any of his book. Too sentimental to tribe for me. No offence, that's his thing, but I just ain't interested in people who feel their tribe should be the focus of all their literary works.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:47am On Nov 16, 2017
anonimi:

I know sey as you be sapiosexy you go get me.
Only that you are still cutting the late man too much slack.
He made tons of money selling his understanding of Igbo culture to the world.
The least he could have done is to have a Foundation that will outlive him by systematically researching, developing and propagating his culture among his own people. Such would have helped shift focus away from only monetary pursuit to academic and socio-cultural values enhancement.
He failed woefully on that account and all his wealth is wasted as it cannot generate collective growth and prosperity for his Igbo people anchored on education.
He claimed to be a traditionalist but lived the worst aspect of modern people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3473612_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3401521_cannoteatmoney_jpegaebb2a352ae295fc9aa7a61c24b4203c
Yeah.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by LargeBreed(m): 11:50am On Nov 16, 2017
IgboticGirl:
AFONJSA WILL NOT LIKE THIS
Why bring 'AFONJSA' into this?

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by hopexter(m): 11:57am On Nov 16, 2017
Angelb4:
Upcoming modern writer grin
Angelb4:
Upcoming modern writer
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by aribisala0(m): 11:57am On Nov 16, 2017
A great writer whose work has been translated into several languages across the world.
I hope some effort can be made to translating it into Nigerian languages and particularly his own Igbo language.

Indeed the film itself should be made in Igbo language.
I stand with Ngugi on the subject of writing in our own languages.
If I were to criticize that generation of writers including the likes of Soyinka it would be that they wrote for white people not us and while it is understandable because they could not get published we see the trend to this day where a writer is only validated by European or American Awards and it does not really matter what WE think or what we think is shaped by the conferment of these foreign awards which to some extent makes sense since we continue to write in THEIR LANGUAGE
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 12:03pm On Nov 16, 2017
moscobabs:

I am sure many people will agree with me that D.O Fagunwa and JF Odunjo are greatest writers than both Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.

Try to read all Alawiye, Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole and Igbo elegbeje and testify.

Fact!!! that D.O Fagunwa is a writer out of this world, I found Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole one of the best book I have laid my hands on, what thrills me is the continuity, I find it hard to believe how someone could conjure such a sweet long story with perfect continuity, it just like watching all these american series.I just hope the book would be translated to English to reach a wider audience

3 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by arinze3131(m): 12:04pm On Nov 16, 2017
d man was a great man and for me, he was d best. agree or disagree dats not my problem. He served his time and will b rememberd as long as literature lives. some pple here dat re saying he didn't do dis or shud hv done dat has not done anything since they were born and probably will not do anything 2 b rememberd afta their death but they re here criticizing a man dat achieved alot in his lifetime. thank U all.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2017
ifyboy60:

in literature, everyone has different views but for most of us he is simply the best.
he is just one of the best, not the best....these is a very big difference
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by juman(m): 12:17pm On Nov 16, 2017
Was great author.

It good praising our authors.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by gerreer13: 12:23pm On Nov 16, 2017
fascinating

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by itsandi(m): 12:28pm On Nov 16, 2017
Respek! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 16, 2017
kay29000:
Still haven't read any of his book. Too sentimental to tribe for me. No offence, that's his thing, but I just ain't interested in people who feel their tribe should be the focus of all their literary works.

To think that you have not read his books yet have judged him shocked
Darling, just Google search "Achebe's response to Conrad " now and read it
It is long but you must finish it

When you are done, you can then start from Things fall apart ...you may jump "there was a country" cos I see that's where your beef is...however it describes the Igbo ethos and pathos well...it is a heart book for me...a life defining great book, apt and unapologetic cool
Cheers
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by bibe(m): 12:53pm On Nov 16, 2017
Benita27:
My younger sister once asked me a question after reading a few of Achebe's work. She said, "Why does Achebe like killing his main characters in his novels?". As funny and truthful as the question was, I couldn't answer but wished he was alive to give her an answer. grin

Anyway, Achebe remains one of the best. "There Was A Country and Things Fall Apart" are my favourite of his works. Hope to read more when time permits.

To borrow a line from GOT, tell her 'because all men must die'

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by kay29000(m): 1:09pm On Nov 16, 2017
merahki:

To think that you have not read his books yet have judged him shocked
Darling, just Google search "Achebe's response to Conrad " now and read it
It is long but you must finish it

When you are done, you can then start from Things fall apart ...you may jump "there was a country" cos I see that's where your beef is...however it describes the Igbo ethos and pathos well...it is a heart book for me...a life defining great book, apt and unapologetic cool
Cheers

I don't have to read a book to know what it is about. The title and reviews gives me a clear picture what is in the book. The two books you are recommending for me are about Igbo people... This is what I am talking about. It is like he is an igbo culture historian. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, but I am much more interested in writers that are not boxed in with sentimental views.

I'll still read the article you asked me to search for. And thanks for not insulting me in your response to my comment. That is rare on nairaland.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by cstr1000: 1:22pm On Nov 16, 2017
zanogo:

Fact!!! that D.O Fagunwa is a writer out of this world, I found Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole one of the best book I have laid my hands on, what thrills me is the continuity, I find it hard to believe how someone could conjure such a sweet long story with perfect continuity, it just like watching all these american series.I just hope the book would be translated to English to reach a wider audience
Bros, nobody knows fafunwa.
He is a writer for Yoruba readers and shouldn't be compared to global icons.
We are talking of people who created the humanisation of Africans when the world saw us as half man-half beasts .
Fafunwa ko, oduduwa ni.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Craving / Why I Wrote The Book: “we Are All Biafrans” – Author / A Hole Through Your Curtain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.