Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,049 members, 7,821,606 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers (12418 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by cstr1000: 1:26pm On Nov 16, 2017
kay29000:

I don't have to read a book to know what it is about. The title and reviews gives me a clear picture what is in the book. The two books you are recommending for me are about Igbo people... This is what I am talking about. It is like he is an igbo culture historian. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, but I am much more interested in writers that are not boxed in with sentimental views.

I'll still read the article you asked me to search for. And thanks for not insulting me in your response to my comment. That is rare on nairaland.
What is sentimental about ''things fall apart'', the most read book in African history?
Is it not a story of colonialism that resonates throughout Africa?
Were you expecting him to tell his story in Nupe when he was brought as an Igbo man?

4 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by DukeNija(m): 1:29pm On Nov 16, 2017
anonimi:

I know sey as you be sapiosexy you go get me.
Only that you are still cutting the late man too much slack.
He made tons of money selling his understanding of Igbo culture to the world.
The least he could have done is to have a Foundation that will outlive him by systematically researching, developing and propagating his culture among his own people. Such would have helped shift focus away from only monetary pursuit to academic and socio-cultural values enhancement.
He failed woefully on that account and all his wealth is wasted as it cannot generate collective growth and prosperity for his Igbo people anchored on education.
He claimed to be a traditionalist but lived the worst aspect of modern people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3473612_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3401521_cannoteatmoney_jpegaebb2a352ae295fc9aa7a61c24b4203c

Apparently, your opinion counts for nothing
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by aribisala0(m): 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2017
Most read is not what makes a book good or bad.

Jackie Collins has many books that are "more read" still I would not rate her as high as Achebe. So the number of readers is not what makes a book good or bad. Especially in Literature

We must not confuse literature with Populist best sellers such as James Hadley Chase,Jackie Collins,Jefferey Archer,Robert Ludlum

I believe the Author of Harry Potter: JK Rowling has sold more books than any other in history.So where do we situate her in literature?

MacDonalds probably sell more food than any other single entity does that make their food the best?

Things Fall Apart is not Achebe's best work in my opinion .Why it is his most read is a different matter.
I think what is motivating all of this nonsense is ethnic rivalry which is unhelpful .
The fact is those who set themselves up as Literary practitioners with an academic bent are best judged by their peers/professionals and those who publish commercially are held to a different standard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by rafabenitez: 2:38pm On Nov 16, 2017
Today is my birthday guys,achebe my hero and birthday mate,pls show me some love

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Birthday: 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2017
rafabenitez:
Today is my birthday guys,achebe my hero and birthday mate,pls show me some love

happy birthday

2 Likes

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 3:13pm On Nov 16, 2017
cstr1000:

Bros, nobody knows fafunwa.
He is a writer for Yoruba readers and shouldn't be compared to global icons.
We are talking of people who created the humanisation of Africans when the world saw us as half man-half beasts .
Fafunwa ko, oduduwa ni.
so because he writes in yoruba makes him substandard? if you are able to read and comprehend yoruba , you will know that the reasoning capability of that man is second to none, are you telling me that assuming Achebe writes all his works exclusively in igbo, does that make him a mediocre writer?. Till tomorrow your Achebe is Still under Wole Soyinka.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by chiddyj: 3:22pm On Nov 16, 2017
some fools here will turn this into an ethnic war of who is better, soyinka or achebe. they would conveniently forget that they belong to different genres of literature! Achebe's storytelling and his strides in ensuring that other african writers were able to publish their works from the african point of view is what makes his name resonate farther than all Nigerian writers! the man has come and gone! Everything he wrote as naijas problem is still here with us , and some ethnic bigots still here forming yoruba or igbo or hausa is better! make una swerve go one side abeg! happy post houmous b'day achebe! wish I met you in person while u were stil alive! well soyinka is still alive, so hope dey for me sha
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Danladi7: 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2017
fumiswtpusytwo:
Even though I am yoruba muslim ,i will pick Chinua achebe over wole soyinka 1000 times.
The man is just too intelligent.
Which he was alive,i would have bleeped him.because I get wet when I see great men.
Inferiority complex!

The topic is about the great chinua Achebe!
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Danladi7: 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2017
zanogo:

so because he writes in yoruba makes him substandard? if you are able to read and comprehend yoruba , you will know that the reasoning capability of that man is second to none, are you telling me that assuming Achebe writes all his works exclusively in igbo, does that make him a mediocre writer?. Till tomorrow your Achebe is Still under Wole Soyinka.
dont do that.the topic is about chinua achebe
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Danladi7: 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2017
merahki:

To think that you have not read his books yet have judged him shocked
Darling, just Google search "Achebe's response to Conrad " now and read it
It is long but you must finish it

When you are done, you can then start from Things fall apart ...you may jump "there was a country" cos I see that's where your beef is...however it describes the Igbo ethos and pathos well...it is a heart book for me...a life defining great book, apt and unapologetic cool
Cheers

Achebe is a great writer no doubt.

But there are too many lies in there was a country!....whoever doesn't read other people's account of civil war will be guilty of one side story problem and bias!
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 3:40pm On Nov 16, 2017
Danladi7:
dont do that.the topic is about chinua achebe
he shouldn't downgrade a brilliant man because he writes in yoruba
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Danladi7: 3:41pm On Nov 16, 2017
zanogo:

he shouldn't downgrade a brilliant man because he writes in yoruba
yeah,you are right.

But dont drag wole soyinka the great into it!
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2017
Danladi7:

Achebe is a great writer no doubt.

But there are too many lies in there was a country!....whoever doesn't read other people's account of civil war will be guilty of one side story problem and bias!

However that book is my (the Igbo) truth
So allow me to live it....
Thank you
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by Danladi7: 4:32pm On Nov 16, 2017
merahki:

However that book is my (the Igbo) truth So allow me to live it.... Thank you
Exactly,Only Igbo truth.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by akigbemaru: 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2017
moscobabs:

I am sure many people will agree with me that D.O Fagunwa and JF Odunjo are greatest writers than both Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.

Try to read all Alawiye, Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole and Igbo elegbeje and testify.

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by madridsta007(m): 4:55pm On Nov 16, 2017
Benita27:
My younger sister once asked me a question after reading a few of Achebe's work. She said, "Why does Achebe like killing his main characters in his novels?". As funny and truthful as the question was, I couldn't answer but wished he was alive to give her an answer. grin

Anyway, Achebe remains one of the best. "There Was A Country and Things Fall Apart" are my favourite of his works. Hope to read more when time permits.

He once replied this to an audience. His reply was succinct. "Heroes are always flawed because they are humans", he said; "If you want to see a perfect hero, then it means you are writing about Angels. We should always remember that our heroes are human who have flaws and who can die". Someone asked why Okonkwo was "killed". That was his response.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by SRK1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 16, 2017
A trustworthy writing agency looking to hire truly talented and professional writers!

Are you a professional writer who has written in exchange for money before, or are you just a talented writer who has a great writing skill? Your services are needed at one of the most credible writing agencies! We are looking for exceptional writers who can write truly great pieces.

How it works:
The process is as simple as us getting the job from our own clients and sending them to you with the budget and deadline specified on the work brief. We would normally require you to react to the job offers.

You will be required to write majorly ebooks and sales copies, and there's no limit to how much you can earn.

As soon as we get approvals on your work which don't normally take long, we will transfer your payment to you through instant transfer.

Just to be clear, who is this offer meant for?
1. For people who have written professionally before
2. Can produce excellent writings that will require little to no proofreading

Who is this offer not meant for?
1. People who would demand unrealistic rates
2. People who haven't written professionally before and doesn't have the skill. We will gladly work with you if you have no prior experience but have a great writing skill.

We are proposing a long-term working relationship, so how can we cheat you?

So, if you consider yourself up for the challenge, then, simply send us a mail now at:

mavenwriter02@gmail.com
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by GoldNiagara(m): 7:02pm On Nov 16, 2017
Some people are getting Nobel, some one is getting a doodle. Lemme come and be going.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by cstr1000: 7:59pm On Nov 17, 2017
zanogo:

Achebe's ''things fall apart'' is a recommended high school book for students in America and many parts of the west, while Soyinka is just a Yoruba who happened to win a Nobel.
There is no Nigerian and certainly no Yoruba in Achebe's class.
When Achebe died, the US congress paid respect. I don't think there is any Nigerian dead or alive that will have that kind of honour.

Achebe did not write in Igbo, because it will limit the scope of his impact. Fafunwa or whatever he is called is a nobody.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 8:15pm On Nov 17, 2017
cstr1000:

Achebe's ''things fall apart'' is a recommended high school book for students in America and many parts of the west, while Soyinka is just a Yoruba who happened to win a Nobel.
There is no Nigerian and certainly no Yoruba in Achebe's class.
When Achebe died, the US congress paid respect. I don't think there is any Nigerian dead or alive that will have that kind of honour.

Achebe did not write in Igbo, because it will limit the scope of his impact. Fafunwa or whatever he is called is a nobody.
do you think the nobel prize is given to anyhow person? I repeat , your Achebe is below Soyinka, all those thrash you wrote up there is not worth an ounce of a nobel prize, you are just consoling yourself,Achebe is brilliant but dont overstretch the man's capabilities
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by cstr1000: 9:54pm On Nov 17, 2017
zanogo:

do you think the nobel prize is given to anyhow person? I repeat , your Achebe is below Soyinka, all those thrash you wrote up there is not worth an ounce of a nobel prize, you are just consoling yourself,Achebe is brilliant but dont overstretch the man's capabilities
Look at this ignoramus.
Hundreds and hundreds of people have won the Nobel for many reasons. How many of those people do you know?
Google is acknowledging Achebe memorial and the US congress also celebrated him, how many Nobel prize winners will ever get that kind of honour.?
The Nobel is not the end of the world. It does not make you the undisputed master of your field, since it is a subjective award anyway. Thousands of deserving people will never win the nobel., while thousands more may win it for very different reasons.

Soyinka may have won the Nobel, but he is not in Achebe's class and he knows it. He does not have his popularity or his global standing.
He will never influence the world like Achebe has.
QED.

1 Like

Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by zanogo(m): 5:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
cstr1000:

Look at this ignoramus.
Hundreds and hundreds of people have won the Nobel for many reasons. How many of those people do you know?
Google is acknowledging Achebe memorial and the US congress also celebrated him, how many Nobel prize winners will ever get that kind of honour.?
The Nobel is not the end of the world. It does not make you the undisputed master of your field, since it is a subjective award anyway. Thousands of deserving people will never win the nobel., while thousands more may win it for very different reasons.

Soyinka may have won the Nobel, but he is not in Achebe's class and he knows it. He does not have his popularity or his global standing.
He will never influence the world like Achebe has.
QED.
look at this man, a looser will always have excuses for his inadequaces, by the way,because the u.s parliament celebrated him does not make him the best, i know your problem, you are still a slave mentally, but till tomorrow and till this world ends, soyinka is ahead of Achebe, if you like come with another set of lamentations but all i know is soyinka is ahead of all writers from your clan or tribe......am waiting for another set of lamentations from you, maybe it is the russian parliament this time. A slave will always be a slave.
Re: Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers by pascal558(m): 11:03am On Nov 21, 2017
fumiswtpusytwo:
Even though I am yoruba muslim ,i will pick Chinua achebe over wole soyinka 1000 times.
The man is just too intelligent.
Which he was alive,i would have bleeped him.because I get wet when I see great men.
Ur stupidity is out of this planet!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The White Wizard By Tade Adegbindin / Letter To A Stranger By Hammed Ajiboye / Legend Of Ikogosi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.