Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,798 members, 7,831,583 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

How Igbos Developed Lagos - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Developed Lagos (28686 Views)

Evidence That Igbos Developed Lagos / Lets Put An End To This Argument Finally - Igbo Developed Lagos / "Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by victorDanladi: 10:48pm On Nov 24, 2017
liberalsinnerx:

You still don't understand me...let me shout now: THEY WILL ALLOW YORUBA TO BUILD AS MANY SEAPORTS AS THEY WANT BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT THE TARGET OF MARGINALIZATION; YORUBA IS NOT A THREAT TO THEM. THAT'S WHY YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO FUNCTIONING SEAPORTS AND SS DESPITE HAVING 4 SEAPORTS (PORT HARCOURT, WARRI, CALABAR AND ONNE), EVEN THOUGH THESE ARE CLOSER TO THE OCEAN AND BIGGER SEAPORTS THAN LAGOS', DESPITE THESE FACTS SS HAS NO FUNCTIONING SEAPORTS. THE TARGET IS SS AND SE; PARTICULARLY IGBO IS THEIR PRIMARY TARGET. THIS IS NOT ABOUT YORUBA. There are powers there be telling Hausa-Fulani want to do to keep SE and SS down to prevent them from rising and forming their own country which is why they keep them dependent on using Lagos ports and airport. It takes a while for yorubas to understand this, as It took me days to explain this to a yoruba friend and finally he understood it. Before he was thinking like you, why can't state governors do all these? I TOLD HIM THEY WANT TO AND HAVE FOREIGN INVESTORS WHO CAN DO THEM BUT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL FRUSTRATE THEM.

This thread below basically answered your concern with facts
https://www.nairaland.com/4194879/south-south-south-east-roads-worst-country#62664033
My post on this thread is below because I suspected people like you will come and blame governors

Go and sleep!

Typical blame shifting game IPOB terrorists and Aba
made jews are known for!....An external party must be
res for their problem if its not Awolowo,it must be
buhari or Yoruba muslims and if is not both its must
be APC or hausa fulanis,if not both,it must be lagos
city!

your Yoruba friend if actually exists is dumb like you!

what were GEJ and Okonjo iweala looking at for complete 6 years?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by Academicwizman(m): 5:19am On Nov 25, 2017
The South-East is now being built with Sukuk bond and will soon become a 'no man's land'. In the nearest future, the Hausa/Fulanis will begin to claim ownership of some part, if not all of Igboland. So, enjoy the Lagos 'no man's land chanttings while it lasts.

A true Lagosian has this to say.
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by Nobody: 8:52am On Nov 25, 2017
Academicwizman:
The South-East is now being built with Sukuk bond and will soon become a 'no man's land'. In the nearest future, the Hausa/Fulanis will begin to claim ownership of some part, if not all of Igboland. So, enjoy the Lagos 'no man's land chanttings while it lasts.

A true Lagosian has this to say.
LMAO
Amadioha, Ala, Anyanwu, Agwushi and Kamalu have no time for the religion of piss grin

Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by disumusa: 10:16pm On Nov 25, 2017
imhotep:
Learn to appreciate Igbos
osu eibo the lost tribe of Africa
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by disumusa: 10:20pm On Nov 25, 2017
imhotep:

For sure Igbos should be among the most populous ethnic group in Lagos
unfortunately most discriminate and unrecognised in Africa
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2017
disumusa:
unfortunately most discriminate and unrecognised in Africa
And you keep having Igbo dreams every night smiley
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by cbravo3: 10:08am On Jun 22, 2018
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
In the words of Rev Fr. Collins Ojene, “No continent suffered from the scourge of slavery for centuries as Africa. No continent was so brutalized by colonialism, imperialism, and now neo-colonialism as Africa.” The Igbo nation, we have to note, is part of the African continent and as such the afore-mentioned statement, if it is true, also applies to them. This study serves to ascertain the extent of the damage these (colonialism, imperialism and neo-colonialism) had caused the Igbo race specifically. In this study, we are interested in seeing if really we can be very right to say that the colonial masters have been our ‘messiahs’, sent from God above to bring us salvation and light (like Christ was believed by the Christians, to have been sent) as shown by some writers of history. To see if they can be seen as, in the words of F. K. Ekechi, expressing the view of the people of the lower Niger on the early Western Catholic Missionaries, “a kind (white man) who came for the welfare of the people.” It is a study aimed at examining the intricacies of these diverse contacts that has existed in history among the Europeans and the African-Igbo world to see what actually has held the Igbo nation spell bound from advancing to the developmental stage the European world of today is in. It is a work born out of an interest in contributing to the growth and development of the Igbo race. This interest to help move the Igbos forward was born in the course of our study of the African philosophy and the many problems facing it. It grew after a realization of the fact that the ancient Egypt of Africa was amongst the first civilized nations but today is nowhere, development wise. On the other hand, it is aimed at producing what can be accounted by us, as the gains and problems created for us by the westerners and by so doing help our people to know what they need in their present rush for the white-mans land (greener pastures) and culture. It is a way of trying to expose us to the reality that not all that glitters is gold and that the European in all he does is never perfect and should never be regarded so.

Igbo/European Contact; Its Socio-Political Effects On The Igbo
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by Bond111: 3:48pm On Jul 21, 2020
hornyofife:
For some day now, Lagos and the place of Igbo's in Lagos has been trending on NL. This is my take on it.

On the question of who owns Lagos

For me I will give it to the lagos Yoruba's who are a mixture of benin and Awori people and were actually slave of the Benins who later inherited Lagos. That is why Lagos's original name is Eko, which means slave camp. Names like Idumota, Eti osa are Benin names. Names like Jewetin, Tincan, Akran are awori badagary names
Benins answer oyole,oyeole same as badagry people but not the core yoruba

On who developed Lagos and what contribution does Igbo's bring to the development of lagos

I will answer that in four folds

The colonial masters started the development of Lagos, with the establishment of colonial post, administrative blocks, missionary schools, churches, link roads construction, trade...etc
Mind you the most notable major infrastructure built by the colonial masters before they left was carter bridge, Lagos airport (which was later remodeled and expanded and renamed MMIA) and federal palace hotel. And most colonial development was centered majorly on the islands (Ikoyi ,Victoria island and Ikeja as an extension)

Now the second part of Lagos development was by Nigeria federal government to it as the former capital city. 3rd mainland bridge, National Thearte, Eko bridge, Apapa port,GRAs, Muritala Muhammed airport, most of the major roads are some of Nigerian government's notable contribution to lagos which opened up and linked the mainland and island.

The third part now being the subsequent state government contribution..link roads, flyovers, bridges, schools, hospitals, and policies and Conducive environment that make business and living thrive.

The fourth part now being individual Nigerians themselves, this has to do with their daily activities which include trade and commerce, transport and services, manufacturing, Real Estate, Recreation etc and this is where the igbos as a group come in...

On a more serious note, as much as government provides the infrastructures, if private investors don't invest which also attract other affiliate industries, the state would not have witnessed the level of economic expansion it is enjoying today...

Now let's put it in perspective, it was not the government or colonial masters that built all the major markets in Lagos.. From ladipo to computer village to trade fair to katangowa to yaba to mile 12 to ketu, Alaba international to oshodi market, asuwani market, Aspanda etc. Most of these markets were never designated markets. They were markets formed organically by concentration over time. Some of which government have demolished..

Now let's go to the transport industries, of which the most notable transport companies which are international because they link the west African subcontinent and have bases in those countries same as in lagos and are majorly Igbo owned.
From chisco, to the young to ABC to cross country,to GiG, to GUO to Ekeledilichukwu to PMT to ITC to several others that I can't even remember.. It also worthy of note some nigerdeltans especially delta line, Edo line, libra and akwaibom line are very active inter state tansport coy.

Now talking about hoteling, it may sound subjective but in all sense of reality and not including some of the Five star hotels which many a times are owned by foreigners, multinational companies, politicians or by partnerships. majority of the three star hotels in Lagos are owned by the igbos..yes, do your research. It is not only in Lagos, it is like that in kano, Kaduna and abuja..let's leave Nigerdelta out of this since there are geographically close to the Igbo's.

Now going to real estate. I want to ask, was it government or the colonial masters that built the billions of individual residential properties scattered around Lagos or was it FG that turned swamp lands and forest to choice residential Quaters? I can remember when I was doing my IT in Amuwo Odofin,I was told from multiple sources that back 20 to 25yrs back, that the whole place was all bushy swamp and that it was the coming of the igbos that changed that place. That all the roads where sand filled by the Igbo landlords in abide to have access to their plots....if that is not development, what do we call that? Today omo oniles dont do anyhow there because they know they cant claim their fathers own the swamp or wetland, and the igbo landlords there are powerful men with private armed guards, mostly importers. Amuwo odofin is 90% igbo, from tenants to landlords to schools, to hospitals to hotels to mini malls to plazas to supermarkets to bars to clubs...all owned by igbos. And mind you, it is like that in many other places in Lagos, where it was the coming of the the Igbo's that triggered development in those place not to also talk of the ripple economic effect interns of value of land, standard of living, recreation, transport and home sales...I am using amuwo odofin as a case study, there are many other places igbos dominated or control at least 70 to 85% from Ago palace way to festac to satellite town to ijegun to bucknor to Ajao estate just name it. Places in Lagos igbos don't dominate, igbos have at least 50% presence. Thats is why a times you may be tempted to think that igbos are probably the largest ethnic group in Lagos now, they are everywhere...go to some Behind ghetto areas like ajegunle, vox, ajangbaji, Igando..i call them Behind ghettos areas because they are fast developing with more modern buildings and hotels springing up, thereby changing the face of those area..

Even the most dishonest person knows that after government infrastructure, the business activities of the Igbo's drives and attract other affiliate businesses and services which may not necessarily be run by igbo. but without the presence and activities of the igbos businesses in those places in the first place, those affiliate services would not exist or have started because the Igbo business activities created the opportunity for them to start and thrive.

Mind you again,as at the time Britain left Nigeria, the most powerful ruling elites and political party were igbos

From sir Louis ojukwu

Nnamdi azikiwe

jaja nwachukwu

Etc

NCNC which was the dominant party was more or less an Igbo party which forced Awolowo to result to tribalism to gain relevance

Till today,ojukwu's fathers properties are still spread in different locations in Lagos.He was our first billionaire, established Nigerian stock exchange, he was the pioneer transport mogul

Sick and disgusting lies from the pit of hell, firstly how can you develop Lagos when your own part of the country is nothing but a cesspit?

Lagos was never a slave camp to Benin, if you read the Nigeria by Michael Crowther,
You will learn that Eko means War Camp and not slave camp.

Lagos paid homage to the Benin monarch but was never a slave camp.

So you call disgusting stinking markets like Ladipo development?

You call companies that ferry igbos from one state to another a form of development?

You call those prostitution hovels you refer to as hotels development?

You mention Awolowo, it was the disgusting Igbo greed of azikiwe that made him try to run the western region government. How can an Igbo wish to be the premier of Yoruba land?

You are a liar.
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by AbiribaFirstSon: 3:56pm On Mar 13, 2023
hornyofife:
For some day now, Lagos and the place of Igbo's in Lagos has been trending on NL. This is my take on it.

On the question of who owns Lagos

For me I will give it to the lagos Yoruba's who are a mixture of benin and Awori people and were actually slave of the Benins who later inherited Lagos. That is why Lagos's original name is Eko, which means slave camp. Names like Idumota, Eti osa are Benin names. Names like Jewetin, Tincan, Akran are awori badagary names
Benins answer oyole,oyeole same as badagry people but not the core yoruba

On who developed Lagos and what contribution does Igbo's bring to the development of lagos

I will answer that in four folds

The colonial masters started the development of Lagos, with the establishment of colonial post, administrative blocks, missionary schools, churches, link roads construction, trade...etc
Mind you the most notable major infrastructure built by the colonial masters before they left was carter bridge, Lagos airport (which was later remodeled and expanded and renamed MMIA) and federal palace hotel. And most colonial development was centered majorly on the islands (Ikoyi ,Victoria island and Ikeja as an extension)

Now the second part of Lagos development was by Nigeria federal government to it as the former capital city. 3rd mainland bridge, National Thearte, Eko bridge, Apapa port,GRAs, Muritala Muhammed airport, most of the major roads are some of Nigerian government's notable contribution to lagos which opened up and linked the mainland and island.

The third part now being the subsequent state government contribution..link roads, flyovers, bridges, schools, hospitals, and policies and Conducive environment that make business and living thrive.

The fourth part now being individual Nigerians themselves, this has to do with their daily activities which include trade and commerce, transport and services, manufacturing, Real Estate, Recreation etc and this is where the igbos as a group come in...

On a more serious note, as much as government provides the infrastructures, if private investors don't invest which also attract other affiliate industries, the state would not have witnessed the level of economic expansion it is enjoying today...

Now let's put it in perspective, it was not the government or colonial masters that built all the major markets in Lagos.. From ladipo to computer village to trade fair to katangowa to yaba to mile 12 to ketu, Alaba international to oshodi market, asuwani market, Aspanda etc. Most of these markets were never designated markets. They were markets formed organically by concentration over time. Some of which government have demolished..

Now let's go to the transport industries, of which the most notable transport companies which are international because they link the west African subcontinent and have bases in those countries same as in lagos and are majorly Igbo owned.
From chisco, to the young to ABC to cross country,to GiG, to GUO to Ekeledilichukwu to PMT to ITC to several others that I can't even remember.. It also worthy of note some nigerdeltans especially delta line, Edo line, libra and akwaibom line are very active inter state tansport coy.

Now talking about hoteling, it may sound subjective but in all sense of reality and not including some of the Five star hotels which many a times are owned by foreigners, multinational companies, politicians or by partnerships. majority of the three star hotels in Lagos are owned by the igbos..yes, do your research. It is not only in Lagos, it is like that in kano, Kaduna and abuja..let's leave Nigerdelta out of this since there are geographically close to the Igbo's.

Now going to real estate. I want to ask, was it government or the colonial masters that built the billions of individual residential properties scattered around Lagos or was it FG that turned swamp lands and forest to choice residential Quaters? I can remember when I was doing my IT in Amuwo Odofin,I was told from multiple sources that back 20 to 25yrs back, that the whole place was all bushy swamp and that it was the coming of the igbos that changed that place. That all the roads where sand filled by the Igbo landlords in abide to have access to their plots....if that is not development, what do we call that? Today omo oniles dont do anyhow there because they know they cant claim their fathers own the swamp or wetland, and the igbo landlords there are powerful men with private armed guards, mostly importers. Amuwo odofin is 90% igbo, from tenants to landlords to schools, to hospitals to hotels to mini malls to plazas to supermarkets to bars to clubs...all owned by igbos. And mind you, it is like that in many other places in Lagos, where it was the coming of the the Igbo's that triggered development in those place not to also talk of the ripple economic effect interns of value of land, standard of living, recreation, transport and home sales...I am using amuwo odofin as a case study, there are many other places igbos dominated or control at least 70 to 85% from Ago palace way to festac to satellite town to ijegun to bucknor to Ajao estate just name it. Places in Lagos igbos don't dominate, igbos have at least 50% presence. Thats is why a times you may be tempted to think that igbos are probably the largest ethnic group in Lagos now, they are everywhere...go to some Behind ghetto areas like ajegunle, vox, ajangbaji, Igando..i call them Behind ghettos areas because they are fast developing with more modern buildings and hotels springing up, thereby changing the face of those area..

Even the most dishonest person knows that after government infrastructure, the business activities of the Igbo's drives and attract other affiliate businesses and services which may not necessarily be run by igbo. but without the presence and activities of the igbos businesses in those places in the first place, those affiliate services would not exist or have started because the Igbo business activities created the opportunity for them to start and thrive.

Mind you again,as at the time Britain left Nigeria, the most powerful ruling elites and political party were igbos

From sir Louis ojukwu

Nnamdi azikiwe

jaja nwachukwu

Etc

NCNC which was the dominant party was more or less an Igbo party which forced Awolowo to result to tribalism to gain relevance

Till today,ojukwu's fathers properties are still spread in different locations in Lagos.He was our first billionaire, established Nigerian stock exchange, he was the pioneer transport mogul
It's Jaja Wachuku not Nwachukwu please.
Re: How Igbos Developed Lagos by lexylaw40: 4:28pm On Mar 13, 2023
oodualover:

OSU pig what fact?? It is funny that you don't know the geographical size of Lagos was smaller than it is now and a large proportion of land from Ogun state was added to it. Apapa was part of Ogun in that time.
Ibo Omo ode!!!
God bless you

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Saraki's Victory Is Northern Conspiracy Agains Yoruba-bisi Akande Blasts / Nigeria Air Force Drone Hits Boko Haram Terrorists Target In Sambisa Forest. / Governor Ajimobi: "You Will Fart From Now Till Midnight"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.