Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

On Feminism In Nigeria. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / On Feminism In Nigeria. (1656 Views)

'I Studied Feminism In The University And I Love D**ks" - Owerri Lady Says / My Opinion On Feminism / Feminism In Marriage! A View. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 24, 2017
I think Africans have a problem, Nigerians especially. We have a serious problem of imitating and adopting everything we see in western cultures; both the good and the bad. I don't have a problem with adopting productive aspects of western culture and some of their progressive values, but what I have an issue with is the fact that in most cases we don't seem to know where to draw a line between things that are useful or relevant and the ones that are useless, harmful or irrelevant. A clear instance of our inability to know where to draw the line is in our adoption of the inherently politicized feminism narrative; the sort that's prevalent in western societies, and directly applying it to the general Nigerian society.

As far as the south west, south east, and other southern parts of Nigeria are concerned, gender inequality, the sort that feminism advocates against, isn't an issue. A woman who lives in these parts of Nigeria that I have mentioned doesn't have experiences that are associated with inequality of opportunity, gender based subjugation or any sort of gender based oppression. It's only in the northern parts of Nigeria where certain core Islamic values are deeply entrenched that you have issues of female subjugation and marginalization and a staggering level of gender inequality. So based on this knowledge, any Nigerian woman or girl who claims to be a feminist, and hasn't acknowledged the northern cultures as the only evidence of gender inequality in Nigeria, is seriously deluded.

If you are a feminist and you live in somewhere like Lagos for instance and you seriously believe a place like Lagos is a clear case study of gender inequality, female subjugation and lack of opportunity for women, then you must be really delusional. Again, the only places where gender inequality thrives is in the northern parts of Nigeria, especially the parts with sharia law: A law that views women as second class citizens. These are places where your strident feminist voices should be heard. These are the places your clamours and online protests should be directed to. And while you are at it, also lend voices to women living in other countries where Islam has stolen their rights from them: Counties like Saudi Arabia and Iran where women are extremely marginalized in almost every aspect of their society, or places like Eritrea where female genital mutilation is a common phenomenon. This in my opinion is the only area where feminism is relevant.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by LordHiffy(m): 4:48pm On Nov 24, 2017
There are very few actual feminists in Nigeria, others are just delusional and suffering from "hyper chronically acute inferiority complex syndrome", the bunch of them. Many of these so-called feminists will be the catalyst to destroying everything women's rights actually stands for.

2 Likes

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 24, 2017
It's about to get started

Something for the weekend
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Henitan24(f): 5:10pm On Nov 24, 2017
Feminist Logic.

Feminist: "The fact that a woman walks into your room butt naked doesn't mean she is asking to be raped."

Me: So, what was her plan? To hold a private praise and worship session butt naked or to teach u female anatomy. cheesy cheesy

Some women and their useless warped feminist logic.

#truthissacred

5 Likes

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by makydebbie(f): 5:11pm On Nov 24, 2017
Omg! If feminism was a man, he would've bruises and stripes all over his body! This issue is over flogged for crying out loud!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 24, 2017
If only people knew the proper definition of feminism smh

1 Like

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Cladez(m): 5:16pm On Nov 24, 2017
The problem is that these set of people especially (pained,heartbroken,lonely and over aged women) confuse FEMINISM with GENDER EQUALITY.

1 Like

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by FvckShiT(m): 5:18pm On Nov 24, 2017
fůck yeah!

2 Likes

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 5:18pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
Omg! If feminism was a man, he would've bruises and stripes all over his body! This issue is over flogged for crying out loud!!

He would be dead by now. Damn! Why can't we leave people with their choices?
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:

There is nothing like an over-flooged issue. As long as elements of a subject still bear relevance in how they influence behaviors within a certain environment, then that subject should be explored through discussions.

And I am assuming the reason you are saying the issue is over flogged is probably because you spend so much time on this forum that you have come across all the topics presented on the subject of feminism in the past 6 months. There are people who don't spend as much time on this forum as you and may not have come across any topic on the subject, so please allow them to engage in any discussion or debate that may ensue.

4 Likes

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
If only people knew the proper definition of feminism smh

Do you mind enlightening us on the proper definition of feminism?
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by KingRex1(m): 5:20pm On Nov 24, 2017
Not again
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by makydebbie(f): 5:27pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackhawk01:

He would have died a painful death I swear. Mehn I'm tired of this. angry
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2017
When the youths of this country carry feminism for head pass the socio-political well being of this country.

Rest assured....the failure of the next generation of leaders is certain or how will these ones make reasonable voters not to mention leaders...undecided

Y'all daftness is legendary especially the males championing these threads repeatedly...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackhawk01:

There are people who have made the choice to commit horrendous atrocities or adopt extremely radical ideologies that can potentially destroy the foundation of society, do you suggest that the right thing to do is to leave them with their choice? I mean no disrespect but your opinion is actually stupid. As much as we live in a free society where people are free to choose to adopt specific ideologies, we also live in a society where people are free to question and criticize inherently foolish, irrelevant and harmful ideologies.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 5:31pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
He would have died a painful death I swear. Mehn I'm tired of this. angry

They should put their energy to better use biko. Even person wey never get job go dey carry wahala on top another man choice. It's maddening! undecided
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 5:38pm On Nov 24, 2017
XML33:

There are people who have made the choice to commit horrendous atrocities or adopt extremely radical ideologies that can potentially destroy the foundation of society, do you suggest that the right thing to do is to leave them with their choice? I mean no disrespect but your opinion is deeply stupid. As much as we live in a free society where people are free to choose to adopt specific ideologies, we also live in a society where people are free to question and criticize inherently foolish, irrelevant and harmful ideologies.

Young man, take your frustration outta my mention. Like, the insults are unnecessary. You can pass your message across without getting overly emotional.

I'm no feminist, can't defend or oppose their course but then, learn to respect their decisions. These people don't even have an idea of your existence, biko put your writing prowess to better use.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by MissRaine69(f): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2017
Feminism in its pure form served and continues to be relevant Ignorance is the issue , ignorant feminist are a higher threat to the work done by earlier feminists who advocated for a lot of change that many women benefit from . Individuals that bother to know and learn what the sacrifices of these earlier women were , not the jacked up versions that exist in some quarters. Being feminist does not mean you hate men ( in Nigeria it takes a whole new meaning) Femnist don’t have issues with men or relationships insecure women who seek to undermine other women with ill advise are the ones with problems.

3 Likes

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by makydebbie(f): 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackhawk01:

They should put their energy to better use biko. Even person wey never get job go dey carry wahala on top another man choice. It's maddening! undecided
The country is in disarray and what the youths are bothered about is feminism. Let's talk about misplaced priorities. grin

Even me wey open thread on feminism that day carry headache sleep, and then it wasn't every damn day you'll see thread on feminism.
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 5:51pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
The country is in disarray and what the youths are bothered about is feminism. Let's talk about misplaced priorities. grin

Even me wey open thread on feminism that day carry headache sleep, and then it wasn't every damn day you'll see thread on feminism.

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 5:51pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:

Let them continue, chanting feminism will get them jobs and put food on their tables. Wetin even concern us, make we derail? cool
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by makydebbie(f): 5:59pm On Nov 24, 2017
Blackhawk01:

Let them continue, chanting feminism will get them jobs and put food on their tables. Wetin even concern us, make we derail? cool
I dey saloon. tongue

Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Blackhawk01: 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2017
makydebbie:
I dey saloon. tongue

Hehehehe cheesy grin cheesy

Mumu, na your hand dem dey braid? undecided undecided

Oya buhbye sef. Lemme goan sleep, my head dey ache. sad angry

Greiboy, I got your mention. Thanks for checking on me, swtz. kiss
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by QueenSekxy(f): 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2017
smh
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Victornezzar: 6:09pm On Nov 24, 2017
Did you know that Messi has won the Golden ball award

All respect to the boss

Valencia here we come
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Angy55(f): 6:18pm On Nov 24, 2017
It seems we only have feminists here on NL, don't we have ladies that are womanists here on NL?
I'm waiting to see a thread on womanism, the issue of feminism is been over flogged.
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by JamesReacher(m): 6:26pm On Nov 24, 2017
Angy55:
It seems we only have feminists here on NL, don't we have ladies that are womanists here on NL?
I'm waiting to see a thread on womanism, the issue of feminism is been over flogged.
Open the thread yourself, don't wait on nobody
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Angy55(f): 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2017
JamesReacher:
Open the thread yourself, don't wait on nobody
I'm waiting for you to open it.
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 24, 2017
weak men everywhere, they love the status quo. mumu boys
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 24, 2017
Feminism shouldn't be an issue we argue on. I don't see feminism becoming accepted for another 100years to come.

I always ask my feminist friend in what aspect are you females being cheated?
This is Nigeria.
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 24, 2017
And yer life is so meaningful u come online to rant about people wanting decent treatment wink

some .cuz some of them feminiet is backward lipsrsealed
Re: On Feminism In Nigeria. by JamesReacher(m): 7:14pm On Nov 24, 2017
Angy55:
I'm waiting for you open it.
Why didn't u tell me sinceee

(1) (2) (Reply)

What happened here (photo) / Cardi B Shows How She Drives Without Undies To Avoid Yeast Infection / Communication In Relationships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.