Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,916 members, 7,824,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants (1027 Views)

PHOTOS: Visible Cracks On Apapa Bridge- NEWSHELM / CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp / Anxiety Over Cracks On N2.5bn Jonathan Commissioned Flyover In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by Digiman(m): 7:13pm On Feb 23, 2007
My question is why was this not done before the census was carried out , if these people were around when the census exercise was carried out then the figures must be way out.

Politicians are accused of importing "ghost voters" ahead of April polls.

"The truth is that it is because of the elections," an immigration official who did not want to be named told the BBC News website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6387053.stm
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by Tornadoz(m): 5:58am On Feb 24, 2007
I think this violates the ECOWAS treaty that was signed by Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by dblock(m): 7:44am On Feb 24, 2007
what treaty, every country should have a crackdown on illegal immigrants. No country should allow illegal immigrants
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by Tornadoz(m): 6:16am On Mar 04, 2007
dblock:

what treaty, every country should have a crackdown on illegal immigrants. No country should allow illegal immigrants
Mmm How did you get to Australia? Were you invited to Australia because they head hunted you in Nigeria?
Am sure it was for your expertise. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by dblock(m): 6:20am On Mar 04, 2007
No, i got a permanent Visa wink, i didn't swim
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by Tornadoz(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2007
My question was "Were you invited to Australia because they head hunted you in Nigeria?"
You probably went to Australia as a student, and then regularized your stay, give these people a chance and they will be legal one day. As long as they do honest jobs, leave them alone.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by McKren(m): 6:23pm On Mar 04, 2007
Tornadoz:

My question was "Were you invited to Australia because they head hunted you in Nigeria?"
You probably went to Australia as a student, and then regularized your stay, give these people a chance and they will be legal one day. As long as they do honest jobs, leave them alone.

Please don't attach emotions to this, every country need border controls, most Nigerians who are abroad are left to be there because they are contributing to the economy of their domiciled country. In a country like ours where we have not been able to feed our own people or create jobs for them. Accepting illegal migration is simply brewing time bomb of the future. Because there will be more people who are likely to engage in social vices as a result of frustration and poverty.

Look at the North, most of the Alamajiri's are non-Nigerians. They bring them over without any adequate educational or housing plans. These boys roam the streets licking Suya papers because of hunger. As soon as Prophet Mohamad is cartooned in Denmark, they are the first to carry arms against Nigerians.

Besides that, what is the future of a country where there is no blueprint for sustainable development yet population is growing in exponential order
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by azorjiu(m): 11:33pm On Mar 04, 2007
The topic should have been

Nigeria Cracks down on Militants.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by Tornadoz(m): 12:51am On Mar 05, 2007
@McKren Wrote:
most Nigerians who are abroad are left to be there because they are contributing to the economy of their domiciled country
How am i supposed to believe that Nigerians abroad contribute to their host nation, but illegals in Nigeria won't contribute to Nigeria.
In a country like ours where we have not been able to feed our own people or create jobs for them. Accepting illegal migration is simply brewing time bomb of the future.
This is exactly the same reason given in every nation. The racist of any nation would always say, their is not enough for us, why allow immigrants, legal or illegal. This reason is used in America, France, Britain, Germany etc. If Europe and America can allow (black people who are so culturally different to them) to remain in their country,
why can't Nigeria accept its poorer neighbours? By all means deport the criminal elements, but for those who want to make Nigeria their home, for God sake allow them.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by McKren(m): 1:27am On Mar 05, 2007
How am i supposed to believe that Nigerians abroad contribute to their host nation, but illegals in Nigeria won't contribute to Nigeria.

There is simply no jobs for them to engage and then as a result pay tax to contribute to Nigeria's economy. There is even no issue of them filling in jobs that Nigerians dont want to do because Nigerians themselves are not spoilt for choice. Besides that Olu Adeniji is'nt deporting people who came over with their proper paper work or work permit as the case may be. All he is checking is illegal migration.

This is exactly the same reason given in every nation. The racist of any nation would always say, their is not enough for us, why allow immigrants, legal or illegal. This reason is used in America, France, Britain, Germany etc. If Europe and America can allow (black people who are so culturally different to them) to remain in their country,
why can't Nigeria accept its poorer neighbours? By all means deport the criminal elements, but for those who want to make Nigeria their home, for God sake allow them.

You can as well call me a racist if you like, the issue remains that you have not even read the news. Olu Adeniji is only cracking down on those who are a burden to the society and there is nothing wrong about it. If you think you have so much love in you I challenge you to go out on the streets and invite 5 destitudes to share your bedroom with you. Whats the point letting people into the country when we cant better their lives/ We cant house them or educate them even. Nigeria has to find its feet first before talking of helping poorer nations.

There is a thing like National interest my friend, you will be dreaming if you think black people live in the west for merely charitable reasons. People are there working hard and paying tax.
Re: Nigeria Cracks Down On Migrants by dblock(m): 1:46am On Mar 05, 2007
Ooh Lala, it's getting hot here

(1) (Reply)

Conspiracy To Rule Nigeria: E Don Tey / Undergraduates Are Millionaires Through Politics / Propose An Amendment To Nigeria Constitution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.