Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 (2183 Views)

Nigeria Projected Among Top 20 Economies In The World By 2050 - BBC / "I Work On Facts,You Work On Figures"—PMB Counters Nigeria Being Poverty Capital / No National Identification Number, No Nigerian Passport By 2018 (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 8:54pm On Nov 28, 2017
According to the World Poverty Clock, Nigeria’s struggle with overpopulation will be a problem now, rather than in 2050. Nigeria will by February 2018 overtake India as the country with the most people in extreme poverty. Currently, 82 million Nigerians live in extreme poverty, which is 42.4 percent of Nigeria’s population.

The World Poverty Clock, a brainchild of the World Data Lab, tracks poverty estimates in about 99.7 percent of the countries in the world, using data obtained from the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, United Nations, and the governments of these countries. Using this data, it estimates the rate at which poverty is being reduced globally, and also how many more people are becoming extremely poor in these countries.

Living in extreme poverty as defined by the World Bank is living under $1.90 per day. People living in extreme poverty are unable to meet their minimal needs for survival. The first goal of the Sustainable Development Goals, set by the UN in 2015 is to “eradicate extreme poverty for all people everywhere by 2030”. To achieve that globally, by putting it into numbers, 90 people need to leave poverty every minute to eradicate poverty totally by 2030.

However, there is a shortage of about 9.5 million people globally per year. Presently, The World Poverty Clock, which monitors live estimates of global extreme poverty predicts that for the 2030 SDG target to be met in Africa, 57 people have to leave extreme poverty every minute. However, that is not the case, as on the average, 9 people rather than leaving, enter extreme poverty every minute. Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo are both responsible for the 9. Nigeria needs 11.9 people per minute to escape extreme poverty, but presently has a deficit of 6.8 people every minute, i.e. 6.8 people enter into poverty every minute.

For Nigeria, its problem is its population. Nigeria’s population is growing faster than its economy. Between 1990 and 2013, Nigeria’s population increased by 81 percent. By 2050, going by the speed of its present population growth rate, Nigeria will be the third most populous country in the world. By passing the 400 million mark, it will be taking over from the U.S.A. and be only behind China and India.

On the contrary, in recent times, Nigeria’s recent dwindling oil wealth due to the global oil price reduction, with oil being the mainstay of its economy, meaning its oil-dependent GDP would be affected too. The country’s economy was hit hard by the recent recession in the country. IMF projects GDP to rise by only 0.8 percent in 2018, after the recession since 2016 had slowed down the economy.

Nigeria’s mean household income per capita is $1168, as compared to India’s $1759. However, this wouldn’t be an accurate measure of the welfare of the average Nigerian. What would be accurate to measure the economic growth as compared to its growing population will be the wealth distribution. More wealth is concentrated with the elites, despite the country’s oil wealth, than among the people. Those who have access to this oil wealth through politics have been the major recipients of the wealth. The high rate of unemployment, endemic corruption, the lack of basic social amenities for millions of people, the difficulty in doing business and the millions living in poverty are all consequences of the huge inequality in Nigeria.

Hence, Nigeria’s rising extreme poverty numbers isn’t unexpected. Instead, it’s a direct result of years of negligent and ineffective government policies. It’s dependence on oil for years and an inability to generate non-oil revenue has led it to this. Even now, Nigeria’s 2018 record budget is running on a deficit and will be funded by much borrowing with government debts also on the rise. It would be extremely difficult for the country to meet that 1st goal of the SDGs, which all the other goals are more or less dependent on.

The solution to this problem would be the formation of a credible policy aimed at eradicating poverty. The clock is ticking.

http://venturesafrica.com/nigeria-set-to-become-the-extreme-poverty-capital-by-2018/

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2017
First UN ranked Nigeria in the same category with countries like Somalia, Yemen, etc and now they reached extreme poverty capital.

Well my mama taught me if i have nothing nice to say, keep quiet. I'm just going to smile and walk away

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by SalamRushdie: 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2017
They are correct
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by PDJT: 9:04pm On Nov 28, 2017
Not surprise. What do you expect from a country of savages ruled by illiterate jihadist.
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:05pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:
First UN ranked Nigeria in the same category with countries like Somalia, Yemen, etc and now they reached extreme poverty capital.

Well my mama taught me if i have nothing nice to say, keep quiet. I'm just going to smile and walk away

Why are you worried? Aren't you Biafran again? Isn't the SE supposedly the richest region?

If Biafra and the SE will "prosper", why worry about Nigeria?

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 28, 2017

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by dodelight(m): 9:09pm On Nov 28, 2017
And one stewpid professor will open his pie hole to talk rubbish about the last administration. Mtcheew!
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:10pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

Why are you worried? Aren't you Biafran again? Isn't the SE supposedly the richest region?

Do i look worried? You seriously need to go back to your english course and learn COMPREHENSION. You need it bad. When someone says "I'll smile and walkaway", what does tell your coconut head?

Learning the difference between being laughed at and worried. Good job again in making a stupid remark thinking you gave a smart comment.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:12pm On Nov 28, 2017
PDJT:
Not surprise. What do you expect from a country of savages ruled by illiterate jihadist.

Is Nigeria a country?

So called "Giant of Africa" that even other countries in Africa wey no call am self giant are out doing. Abeg, Nigeria is a forest, not a country.
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:14pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

Do i look worried? You seriously need to go back to your english course and learn COMPREHENSION. You need it bad. When someone says "I'll smile and walkaway", what does tell your coconut head?

Learning the difference between being laughed at and worried. Good job again in making a stupid remark thinking you gave a smart comment.

So you're laughing at Nigeria and not worried? undecided

I wonder which region will suffer it the most. Clap clap for yourself.

When people think they're doing you but only doing themselves.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by freeze001(f): 9:16pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

If it is still part n parcel of Nigeria then it will still be bogged down by the Nigerian madness won't it?

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:16pm On Nov 28, 2017
SE

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by PDJT: 9:18pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

Is Nigeria a country?

So called "Giant of Africa" that even other countries in Africa wey no call am self giant are out doing. Abeg, Nigeria is a forest, not a country.

My brother, “Nigerians” call the thing country. I think oyibo commanded them to do so, and I’m really enjoying the speedy collapse of the dungeon.
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:19pm On Nov 28, 2017
The states that could not attract any form of investment inflows are Abia, Adamawa, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna and Kano.

http://punchng.com/h2-report-31-states-fail-to-attract-fresh-investments/

The states that got new investments are Lagos State, which attracted the highest amount of $2.6bn during the six months period, followed by Akwa Ibom with $52.44m.

The Federal Capital Territory followed with $31.51m while Ogun State attracted fresh investment inflows of $5.31m; Oyo had $5.25m, and Rivers recorded $550,000 of investments.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Nbote(m): 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2017
Well does it surprise anyone? In jus 2yrs dis govt took Nigerians down memory lane back to 1985
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2017
States filled with the most billionaires grin

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

So you're laughing at Nigeria and not worried? undecided

Thanks for clearing that up.

I wonder which region will suffer it the most.

When people think they're doing you but only doing themselves.

Your northerners are the ones going to suffer it the most. UN already reported rapid starvation over there as we speak where you in coma when they posted that article on this forum few months ago?

And yes I'm laughing at the so called "Giant of Africa". Giant by mouth. Your poverty and hunger no go touch me, i no dey for your shithole you call "giant of africa". Thank you Jesus and Thank you my parents. My only saddness is the igbos still in that "country" that will suffer with you animals the hellhole you dug yourselves in.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2017
While we're laughing at Nigeria....... a particular region is claiming to be the richest, yet at the same time, the most underdeveloped in the nation.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

Your northerners are the ones going to suffer it the most. UN already reported rapaid starvation over there as we speak where you in coma when they posted that article on this forum few months ago.

And yes I'm laughing at the so called "Giant of Africa". Giant by mouth. Your poverty and hunger no go touch me, i no dey for your shithole you call "giant of africa". Thank you Jesus and Thank you my parents. My only saddness is the igbos still in that country that will suffer with you animals the hellhole you dug yourselves in.

I'm laughing with you too.....coman let's laugh together cheesy

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Amarabae(f): 9:26pm On Nov 28, 2017
What a great news.
Cheers
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:28pm On Nov 28, 2017
Nigeria is a cesspist......agreed.

Nigeria is heading towards extreme poverty........ agreed.

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Is that all though?

Anything new? Is Nigeria not in extreme poverty right now?

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:29pm On Nov 28, 2017
PDJT:

My brother, “Nigerians” call the thing country. I think oyibo commanded them to do so, and I’m really enjoying the speedy collapse of the dungeon.

I'm literally enjoying it.

Yesterday when i read this with my bestfriend, we actually went and got drinks. Like we couldn't stop laughing we celebrated the increased poverty in that country. A Ghanaian friend of ours was even shocked that the only reason we all went out to drink is because of a bad news in a "country we supposed to be from" grin grin

I can't wait to read more in the future honestly i can't with. I love being vindicated. I'm grateful as hell that God is punishing the shit out of the forest despite their pretentious of extremely spiritual. The devil dey that shithole and dude is having a party that's what i believe.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:31pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

I'm literally enjoying it.

Yesterday when i read this with my bestfriend, we actually went and got drinks. Like we couldn't stop laughing we celebrated the increased poverty in that country. A Ghanaian friend of ours was even shocked that the only reason we all went out to drink is because of a bad news in a "country we supposed to be from" grin grin

I can't wait to read more in the future honestly i can't with. I love being vindicated. I'm grateful as hell that God is punishing the shit out of the forest despite their pretentious of extremely spiritual. The devil dey that shithole and dude is having a party that's what i believe.

Were you guys laughing like this? grin grin

[img]https://1.bp..com/-AKW79bVsOXQ/WSa7ca_MH1I/AAAAAAAAmsE/hVr2FifVE6oVJDoXkfGOsy2gLpH_i1DlgCLcB/s1600/A%2B%252811%2529.png[/img]

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Larryfest(m): 9:33pm On Nov 28, 2017
Nigeria is there already no need to wait till 2018..... All thanks to the useless govt
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:33pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

Were you guys laughing like this? grin grin

[img]https://1.bp..com/-AKW79bVsOXQ/WSa7ca_MH1I/AAAAAAAAmsE/hVr2FifVE6oVJDoXkfGOsy2gLpH_i1DlgCLcB/s1600/A%2B%252811%2529.png[/img]

Nope. Post one where they are laughing with drinks around them and you'll get exactly how we celebrated your extreme poverty.

Sai baba. Sai giant of africa.
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

This is the kind of news you'll be reading soon grin

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

Nope. Post one where they are laughing with drinks around them and you'll get exactly how we celebrated your extreme poverty.

Sai baba. Sai giant of africa.

How did you lots celebrate extreme poverty? Did you build a statue of Kanu? tongue

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:36pm On Nov 28, 2017
This is the kind of news I like to read

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

This is the kind of news you'll be reading soon grin

Good for them....want a cookie?

Your Niggeria is going to hit the extreme poverty in year 2018. Infact, you've already surpassed India in poverty which mind you, a country that have more population than you

grin grin grin grin grin

If you like post images of Ogun flying to the moon, it wont change your Niggeria is now in the same category with Somalia that you used to mock. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2017
While some rascals are celebrating poverty..... grin grin

May I not celebrate any kind of poverty in my life.

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by kn23h(m): 9:40pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ikechuob:

Good for them....want a cookie?

Your Niggeria is going to hit the extreme poverty in year 2018. Infact, you've already surpassed India in poverty which mind you, a country that have more population than you

grin grin grin grin grin

If you like post images of Ogun flying to the moon, it wont change your niggeria is now in the same category with Somalia that you used to mock. grin grin grin grin grin

My Nigeria? Don't make me laugh....with you. grin grin

Re: Nigeria To Become The Extreme Poverty Capital Of The World By 2018 by Ikechuob: 9:43pm On Nov 28, 2017
kn23h:

How did you lots celebrate extreme poverty? Did you build a statue of Kanu? tongue

Like this

Cheers

Sai baba

Sai Giant of Africa grin grin grin grin

Founder Of #ENDSARS Movement And CSP Opetodalopo Badmus Exchanges Words Online / Ambode Is Finished Politically / Is There A Fulani State In Nigeria?