Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:36 PM

Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? (27015 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Man Buys Honda SUV For Wife Who Gave Birth (pics) / Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by deluxecad(m): 3:36pm On Mar 28, 2010
This probably sounds silly, innit? You can make light of this issue, but it really isn't. I know many cultures would allow several things as appropriate, let's talk about the African culture. Personally I think anyone can, but there's this ego thing in a man that would drive his demand for it. I listened to a heated debate about who greets the other first in the morning or at any other time of meeting and a man was so tough on the matter. He said his wife will never sleep in his room another night if she doesn't greet him in the morning. How crude I thought he sounded. Does it really matter who greets who in the morning in a husband-wife arrangement?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by prixxy(f): 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2010
it does not really matter who does, but trust me our Nigerian people will make it a very big issue

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2010
Well, it is only a caveman that won't allow his wife sleep in his room just because she didn't greet him.

It realy doesn't matter who greets first. So long as they both greet each other.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Sagamite(m): 6:58pm On Mar 28, 2010
Greet?

For what?
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by GL(f): 7:28pm On Mar 28, 2010
Sagamite:

Greet?

For what?

exactly. greeting is too formal, i reserve it for strangers and authority figures. i hardly greet my siblings and friends, when i do it's just 'hey/hi/how far', usually we just start talking. i'm okay with greeting first, except the guy gets all tyrannical about it. i'd have a problem with it then.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by ceasyc(f): 4:46am On Mar 29, 2010
it doesnt mata who greets 1st jare
na big deal
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by lao(f): 5:09am On Mar 29, 2010
Why should I greet my husband in the morning undecided . Most times we just hug in the morning or if he has something important to do in the morning he gets up and he is gone. I feel it is no big deal. when a guy starts to cheat or he is doing something odd that is when he starts finding faults in his wife.

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Nobody: 6:57am On Mar 29, 2010
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Sissy3(f): 7:03am On Mar 29, 2010
well technically the woman is the one who is suppose to greet her husband in the morning due to our culture and also in many instances the age difference.(remember how we are culturally brought up to greet our 'elders'). however, in my case, whoever sees each other first greets
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Cyberfreak(f): 8:32am On Mar 29, 2010
ves.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Nobody: 10:42am On Mar 29, 2010
hahaha ohhhhhhhhhhh this topic remind me of something today grin anyway @ topic, does not really matter undecided

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by peacettw: 12:12pm On Mar 29, 2010
My husband waits 4 me to welcome him home each time he goes out but when it's time to do the same 4 me, he keeps mute. It's really frustrating. For morning greetings, it's not rigid. Sometimes we greet, sometimes we don.t
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by benedictac(f): 12:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
i dont know the problems of we ladies. what is the big deal about greeting. Is ur husband ur mate? God has made him the head over u. Do u debate who to greet ur father first. What is the big deal of greeting ur husband first and give him all the respect due to him. Haba!!! this is africa and not western world. If u have a husband that notices this type of things why dont u do it and have peace in ur marriage. Haba!!! na waoh for ladies

8 Likes

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Sagamite(m): 1:31pm On Mar 29, 2010
GL:

exactly. greeting is too formal, i reserve it for strangers and authority figures. i hardly greet my siblings and friends, when i do it's just 'hey/hi/how far', usually we just start talking. i'm okay with greeting first, except the guy gets all tyrannical about it. i'd have a problem with it then.

I actually don't talk much in the morning.

That is when I am most introspective and cogitative, all I want is silence and listening to news on TV. Talking to me in the first 2 hours of waking up (even be it greeting) I would just find intrusive.

2 Likes

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by otukpo(f): 1:57pm On Mar 29, 2010
GREETING AGAIN?
Nothing they wld not try to make an issue in marriage.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Godalone(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2010
I don't think greetings in the morning is important between husband and wife.
Sagamite:

I actually don't talk much in the morning.

That is when I am most introspective and cogitative, all I want is silence and listening to news on TV. Talking to me in the first 2 hours of waking up (even be it greeting) I would just find intrusive.

Just like me
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by agathamari(f): 9:58am On Mar 30, 2010
who ever woke up first, why do people turn such little things into a huge a$$ deal?
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Badriyyah(f): 10:20am On Mar 30, 2010
LoL, I don't care. People make a fuss over NOTHING,
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 30, 2010
benedictac:

i dont know the problems of we ladies. what is the big deal about greeting. Is your husband your mate? God has made him the head over u. Do u debate who to greet your father first. What is the big deal of greeting your husband first and give him all the respect due to him. Haba!!! this is africa and not western world. If u have a husband that notices this type of things why dont u do it and have peace in your marriage. Haba!!! na waoh for ladies

There is no big deal about greeting, so it really should not be an issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with respect. Salutation they say is not love. I can greet him every minute, every day, and still be very disreespectful! undecided
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by tpiah: 10:43am On Mar 30, 2010
@ topic

**yawn**

In Nigeria, its culturally required for the wife to greet the husband first in the morning.

Even if the husband could care less who greets who first, there will always be outsiders, nosy parkers and family members to insist on protocol ie wife not "disrespecting" the husband by not following some "code of conduct" laid down by whoever.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by keeysha: 11:04am On Mar 30, 2010
OMG!!!, seriously should this be an issue?
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by deluxecad(m): 11:16am On Mar 30, 2010
It's quite surprising what responses I'm reading here.  Nobody makes greeting an issue, I personally wouldn't, but I'd think something is wrong if I wake up to a spouse who can't wish me or who I can't wish a 'good morning or so' to.  People always play down issues that turn out to matter a great deal afterwards.

If you must have good and effective communication in your house, there must be exchange of compliments, pleasantries, banters and any sweet thing you can voice out, greeting is surely one of them.

Why is the world getting too tech and busy that we now push aside the oils that make society run smoothly?

shocked

2 Likes

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by nana(f): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2010
Who cares??
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by tpiah: 1:38pm On Mar 30, 2010
deluxecad:

It's quite surprising what responses I'm reading here. Nobody makes greeting an issue, I personally wouldn't, but I'd think something is wrong if I woke up to a spouse who can't wish me or who I can't wish a 'good morning or so' to. People always play down issues that turn out to matter a great deal afterwards.

If you must have good and effective communication in your hour house, there must be exchange of compliments, pleasantries, banters and any sweet thing you can voice out, greeting is surely one of them.

Why is the world getting too tech and busy that we now push aside the oils that make society run smoothly?

shocked

as others have pointed out, if you're the type who waits with your stopwatch and timer in hand, waiting to see how long it will take your wife to greet you as soon as she gets out of bed, then the wife should most definitely greet you in whichever way you deem fit, as a sign of respect.

If the greeting requires her kneeling down, saluting you and ululating as was done in the olden days, then so be it.

Come sha, can you take a hug instead of a greeting or you just prefer the greeting.

As for me, I will definitely greet my husband in the fully cultural Nigerian way because that's how I am.

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by benedictac(f): 2:07pm On Mar 30, 2010
Ujujoan:

There is no big deal about greeting, so it really should not be an issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with respect. Salutation they say is not love. I can greet him every minute, every day, and still be very disreespectful! undecided

If that is what will make peace reign why dont u just do it. period. if the man likes those things then do it for the sake of love and peace.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by benedictac(f): 2:10pm On Mar 30, 2010
agathamari:

who ever woke up first, why do people turn such little things into a huge a$$ deal?

but these little things could cause problems in marriage if not observed and delt with. so be wise

2 Likes

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by dangerzone: 3:02pm On Mar 30, 2010
wife

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by agabaI23(m): 3:06pm On Mar 30, 2010
No big deal?

These responses if they are real tells me that some girls already see their future husband as a rival.

I actually don't understand why two people who claim who live together in love will wake up in the morning each to his own. Not even 'did you sleep well' if Good morning is now bringing yourself down.

The reason why Britain is riddled with depression is that they do not have neighbours anymore and I am not surpised that all those 'no bigdeal' replies come from Britain.

BTW my opinion is that it must not be the wife first.  If there is love, anyone could say good morning to the other. Umunna nwezuo aku, Udo adi
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Iranoladun(f): 3:10pm On Mar 30, 2010
In my culture (Yoruba) the wife is expected to greet the husband first in the morning before she start her day just like you'd be required to greet an elder first and not vice versa. As for me I don't make a fuss about it and do it with a hug or a kiss wink

1 Like

Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by chibaby5(f): 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2010
undecided must there b a rule sayin wife/husband shud greet 1st any1 dat wakes 1st can wake da other wiv a sign of greetin or mayb verbally. . .itz not mandatory it shud b a duty 4 da wife/husband 2 greet 1st. . . doesnt make sense undecided
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by Redlips2(f): 3:20pm On Mar 30, 2010
When I was growing up and still living with my parents, I noticed that my mother does not greet my father in the morning(even though i dnt know what happens in the room). When I asked she said, they slept on the same bed so greeting is not necessary. That is how they were thought.

But to me, it does not work that way. Sometimes when I stay over at my fiance's,am usually the one dat greets even when I dnt greet he makes no bones of it.
Though culture dictates that it is the woman that should greet which am not going to dispute but I think it is a two way thing. The couple can do it the way it suits them.It might be a hug, a kiss, a peck or "hope you slept well" It must not necessarily be good morning.
But ladies if your man says u must say good morning everymorning, just do it. It will not take anytin out of you. It even grooms you and makes u a better person.
Re: Between Husband And Wife, Who Should Greet The Other First In The Morning? by LAX89(m): 3:22pm On Mar 30, 2010
A generation that has distanced themself from God will always ask questions that they have already been instructed on by the Holy Book. But when disaster enters their lives they come asking God "why, why me, why now".

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"We Need More People" - Tanzanian President Warns Women To Stop Taking Pills / Facebook Couple Celebrate 4th Anniversary Of Meeting (photos) / 40-year-old Man Remanded In Prison For Enticing Married Muslim Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.