Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

(Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta (9062 Views)

Epic Response To Ben-Bruce Apology To Unilag Students On Twitter (pics) / Handwritten Statement By Nnamdi Kanu Containing Apology To PMB- Saharareporters / Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State Loses Senate Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

(Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by BlackRevo: 1:05am On Mar 29, 2010
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by BlackRevo: 1:06am On Mar 29, 2010
Dear Reader,

Royal Dutch Shell is extremely proud to be the first international petrochemical company to publicly say:

We are sorry.

Our Board of Directors, in cooperation with Shell’s newly established Ethical Affairs Committee, has just in time come to the conclusion that Shell’s operations in the Niger Delta need to be subject to a serious, thorough and humbling re-evaluation.

We therefore promise that we shall:

* Make our public commitments to the environment and human rights a
reality;
* Monitor the social and human rights impact of all our operations;
* Disclose information and undertake respectful consultation with affected communities;
* Clean up all the pollution we have caused in the Niger Delta.
* The measures shall be effective immediately. A more comprehensive plan of action will be presented at Shell’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday May 18 in The Hague.

We look forward to apologising some more then!

Bradford Houppe
Vice-President of the Ethical Affairs Committee
Royal Dutch Shell
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by BlackRevo: 1:20am On Mar 29, 2010
Shell Apologises for Human Rights Violations in Niger Delta

The Hague, 27 March 2010

Today, Royal Dutch Shell is holding back the tears no more. Shell apologises to all inhabitants of Nigeria’s Niger Delta for the many years of human rights violations, for which Shell takes full responsibility.

Confronted with massive evidence of human rights violations that can only be attributed to its operations in the Niger Delta, Royal Dutch Shell is extremely proud to be the first international petrochemical company to publicly say:

We are sorry.

Since Shell first discovered oil in the Niger Delta in 1956, the company has ravished the land and polluted the environment. “We thought these people didn’t know what was good for them,” explains Bradford Houppe, Vice-President of Shell’s newly established Ethical Affairs Committee. “We never knew that we were bringing them impoverishment, conflict, abuse and deprivation. Now we know.” Shell acknowledges that it is responsible for large-scale oil spills, waste dumping and gas flaring. Each year, hundreds of oil spills occur, many of which are caused by corrosion of oil pipes and poor maintenance of infrastructure. “Our failure to deal with these spills swiftly and the lack of effective clean-up greatly exacerbate their human rights and environmental impact,” says Houppe. “And that is wrong. It’s just really wrong.”

More than 60 per cent of the people in the Niger Delta depend on the natural environment for their livelihood. But due to the oil pollution, many of them use polluted water to drink and to cook and wash with, and eat fish contaminated with oil and other toxins. Oil spills and waste dumping have also seriously damaged agricultural land.

The destruction of livelihoods and the lack of redress have led people to steal oil and vandalise oil infrastructure in an attempt to gain compensation or clean-up contracts. Armed groups engage in large-scale theft of oil and the ransoming of oil workers. Government reprisals frequently involve excessive force and the collective punishment of communities, thus deepening general anger and resentment.

Between 2005 and 2008, the Nigerian government received around $36 billion in taxes and royalties from Shell. “They have never, not in the slightest, held us to account for all the wrong we did,” says Houppe. “So without taking back any of our apologies, by all means: blame them too!”

A comprehensive Plan of Action, featuring general apologies, detailed apologies, apologies in Braille and apologies in rhyme that Shell employees will hang on the walls in their offices, will be presented at Shell’s Annual General Meeting on 18 May 2010 in The Hague.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by chinedu78(m): 2:04am On Mar 29, 2010
Is it now they know they are sorry?They are only apologising because the niger-deltans rose up and shut down alot of their oil fields.I hope they pay compensation to all those that suffered in the process of shell plundering their wealth.Shell is the worst company to have worked in Nigeria,they connived with Goverment officials and chiefs to short change the people of the Niger delta.In the midst of plenty,these people lived in poverty.They were behind the death of Ken Saro wiwa and the ogoni nine.I hope these niger deltans will chase shell completely out of the niger delta,shell only apologising because its affecting their profits,i hope their apologises fall on deaf ears.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by NSNA: 2:05am On Mar 29, 2010
Certainly interesting, hopefully they will make amends and start to do the right things
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by puskin: 2:07am On Mar 29, 2010
Shell . . . . .U have tried. . . . now other oil companies should start following suit.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by UcheUwadi(m): 2:09am On Mar 29, 2010
An apology is ok, but what about reparations for the environment they are destroying everyday they pump oil out of the ground?

Words are just words. I rather see action instead of words. Maybe this is a start, but people are still waiting.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by SEFAGO(m): 2:11am On Mar 29, 2010
Finally Beaf and resource control people can be happy
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by jossy1luv(f): 2:17am On Mar 29, 2010
Shell is the worst company anyone can ever work in, they do not pay their workers well and they also don't live up to the expectation of Niger Deltans, infact they should pack up and leave they are too stingy,
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by sjeezy8: 2:35am On Mar 29, 2010
looks like a joke i could have sworn someone laughed and the speaker didnt really seem that genuine
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by puskin: 2:44am On Mar 29, 2010
jossy_1luv:

Shell is the worst company anyone can ever work in, they do not pay their workers well and they also don't live up to the expectation of Niger Deltans, infact they should pack up and leave they are too stingy,

Don't even go there. . . .U know nada about Shell.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by olaolabiy: 2:47am On Mar 29, 2010
politics-at its dirtiest level.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by OvieE: 3:43am On Mar 29, 2010
Tears dripped out of my eyes when he said that “we’re sorry for oil and gas spills that have made your river toxic, we’re sorry for the gas slex that steak up your villages, we’re sorry for the fact u can’t eat fish, u can’t grow on your land, and u can’t drink your water”. These are what my people in Delta State suffer from and I hope and pray shell will live up to their plans and promises for my fellow people in Niger Delta to live a better life after so many days, weeks, months, years, decates and making billions after billions they now come to their senses. Anyway, I thank God for opening shell's eyes that the abuses has to stop and I pray other multi companies will follow shell foot step.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by insideview: 3:45am On Mar 29, 2010
After the despoil, the man goes on TV to say, i'm proud to be the first man on TV to say i'm sorry for despoiling you.

Though the whole thing reads like some sort of joke, I guess its a step, but its all about the bottom line. It's up to the ND to decide how they want to engage Shell BP, if they have the capacity to so engage. They shouldnt be under any illusions of universal Brotherhood and ethics, its all about Shell's investment in ND. Of course the Nigerian Govt is culpable in this affair, but thats another matter.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Beaf: 3:55am On Mar 29, 2010
Rubbish! angry
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by riversman: 4:05am On Mar 29, 2010
OvieE:

Tears dripped out of my eyes when he said that “we’re sorry for oil and gas spills that have made your river toxic, we’re sorry for the gas slex that steak up your villages, we’re sorry for the fact u can’t eat fish, u can’t grow on your land, and u can’t drink your water”. These are what my people in Delta State suffer from and I hope and pray shell will live up to their plans and promises for my fellow people in Niger Delta to live a better life.

are u serious about the TEARS?? uhmmmm,, SHELL and all otha oil companies are shameless cabals that will do whatever it takes to get that BLOOD stained crude oil

Why did they release this new campaign now? Because China is about to strangle life out of thier operations in naija abi

I was in Bayelsa in december, China is not playin, they gat doctors, building skools and most importantly, they are "making the locals feel like humans", shell wined and dined with corrupt leaders for over 30yrs, then all ofa sudden realized they have a virus they need to cure,

HISS!!!!
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Beaf: 4:20am On Mar 29, 2010
Like I said earlier, RUBBISH! angry

Registrant Search:
"Shell apologises"

NS History:
1 change on 2 unique name servers over 0 year.
Whois History:
1 record has been archived since 2010-03-24 .
Reverse IP:
33,642 other sites hosted on this server.

DomainTools for Windows®

Now you can access domain ownership records anytime, anywhere, right from your own desktop! Find out more >
domain: shellapologises.com
owner: Shell apologises
organization: Shell apologises
email:
address: Shellstreet 1
city: The Hague
state: --
postal-code: 1234AB
phone: +31.201234567
admin-c: CCOM-1562514
tech-c: CCOM-1562514
billing-c: CCOM-1562514
nserver: a.ns.joker.com 207.44.185.100
nserver: b.ns.joker.com 66.197.237.21
nserver: c.ns.joker.com 66.252.21.106
created: 2010-03-23 13:56:44 UTC
modified: 2010-03-23 13:56:44 UTC
expires: 2011-03-23 13:56:44 UTC

contact-hdl: CCOM-1562514
person: Shell apologises
organization: Shell apologises
email:
address: Shellstreet 1
city: The Hague
state: --
postal-code: 1234AB
phone: +31.201234567

source: joker.com live whois service
query-time: 0.012775
db-updated: 2010-03-28 18:51:11
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by bibiking1(m): 4:38am On Mar 29, 2010
oh poppycock!
The egg has already been split along its shells, why try and glue it? It would of course not retain its natural shape anymore! They waited this long to spill out their pride laden guts huh? Well too bad,,,,really i think SHELL has lost its relevance in the Oand G sector of you ask me!
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Rmc1(m): 5:30am On Mar 29, 2010
ok now mr shell we have heard you, so lets start seeing some action tongue
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Beaf: 5:38am On Mar 29, 2010
Can you guys not see that this is a hoax? shocked
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by SEFAGO(m): 6:07am On Mar 29, 2010
^ Dont be retarded- its not an hoax, there has been significant pressure on shell toapologize for most of what they have been doing especially by environmental groups. Shell is obliged to hold to some ethical standard no matter what. Everyone knew what shell was doing but its very rare to get a corporate apology because it means acceding that you are wrong. Usually a corporate apology is met by falls in stock prices and such. I think y'all should be happy they apologized grin
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Beaf: 6:28am On Mar 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ Dont be retarded- its not an hoax, there has been significant pressure on shell toapologize for most of what they have been doing especially by environmental groups. Shell is obliged to hold to some ethical standard no matter what. Everyone knew what shell was doing but its very rare to get a corporate apology because it means acceding that you are wrong. Usually a corporate apology is met by falls in stock prices and such. I think y'all should be happy they apologized grin

So you actually think Shell hosts its domain names with jokers like http://joker.com/ ? . . .I am baffled! I even posted the registrant details earlier, you just ain't smart! Some fool has simply dreamt up a new way to trivialise the thousands of lives lost to shell in the Niger Delta and has you folk hooked.

1 Like

Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by SEFAGO(m): 6:54am On Mar 29, 2010
LOL, I admit I did not read the whole thread.

But that one was a bad joke undecided angry
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by lordbayor(m): 6:59am On Mar 29, 2010
Beaf:

So you actually think Shell hosts its domain names with jokers like http://joker.com/ ? . . .I am baffled! I even posted the registrant details earlier, you just ain't smart! Some fool has simply dreamt up a new way to trivialise the thousands of lives lost to shell in the Niger Delta and has you folk hooked.

Waoh that was bad stunt to pull by who ever did this.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by BlackRevo: 7:08am On Mar 29, 2010
Beaf:

I was supicious at first but never investigated, i wondered why creating a new website just to apologise and the youtube page also was a bit childish to me. I wanted to investigate more but just felt it is important i bring such a news to other nigerians but thanks beaf for this expose.

I am very sorry guys for this thread, i never knew it was a hoax. sad
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Beaf: 7:40am On Mar 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

LOL, I admit I did not read the whole thread.

But that one was a bad joke undecided angry

It is best to treat serious issues with the gravity they deserve.

@topic
On second thought, rather than a cruel joke, it is likely to be a publicity effort by one of the better funded human rights organisations.
I must confess, I didn't even bother to watch the video before trashing the topic.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Rogo: 9:09am On Mar 29, 2010
what they have done to these people/area is more than SORRY
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by MonGee(m): 10:16am On Mar 29, 2010
I'm sure a consultant must have been hired to feel the pulse of the ND knowing 2well that their investments there is dwindling fast. I'm sure this is just d beginning of things 2come. We are watching lipsrsealed
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by ud4u: 10:26am On Mar 29, 2010
Not just saying, let them implement wahtever they said, before the governemnt and chiefs will block and collect the whole compesation to the detriment of the poor.
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Birmingham(m): 10:34am On Mar 29, 2010
That's a positive move in the right direction. How I wish other Multinationals should borrow a leave from this gesture. Action should be more loud-able than the post. . .
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Birmingham(m): 10:41am On Mar 29, 2010
Mr. Shell. . . Please Sir, with respect, What's the actual quantity of crude you(SHELL) exploit/export daily?
Re: (Hoax) Fake 'Shell' Finally Gives Apology To People Of Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 29, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report / FG Removes 50,000 Ghost Workers From Payroll / Bauchi Governor Refunds Unicef's N15 Million Meant For Malnutrition Intervention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.