Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (20293 Views)

My Mom's Pineapple Plantation And Harvest (Pictures) / Plantain Or Oil Palm Plantation Which One Is More Profitable? / Palm Oil Plantation And Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by consultancy: 8:15am On Dec 10, 2017
I'm nt into farming, but I think plantain farming should be more lucrative, given that demand for it is more, as it can be made into various forms of food(fufu,porridge,boiled,fried,with beans,chips,etc), while its counterpart can only be eaten as passtime snacks

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by giles14(m): 8:16am On Dec 10, 2017
Bestchisom:
Dear Nairalanders..... i have a dream of starting up my own plantation business but am confused on which to go for.... between banana plantation and plantain plantation which is more profitable.... your advise with good reasons will go a long way....Lalasticlala, SEUN please help me push it to fp
you can go for but
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by ehissi(m): 8:24am On Dec 10, 2017
Bestchisom:
Dear Nairalanders..... i have a dream of starting up my own plantation business but am confused on which to go for.... between banana plantation and plantain plantation which is more profitable.... your advise with good reasons will go a long way....Lalasticlala, SEUN please help me push it to fp

Try cucumbers...... grin
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dynamix101(m): 8:26am On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:
Why is it that plantains cannot produce well in the northern part of Nigeria?.

It will grow on a very fertile land close to a perennial water source
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:

Why will it grow there when Boko Haram will not allow the land rest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dynamix101(m): 8:28am On Dec 10, 2017
godsamist:
I am into plantain farming with start up of 50 stand and a butch sales for #1700 by 50….good money?
Well taking a larger step,wants another land that can contain 100 stands,
It all depends on good place the biz is good and don't need much stress.
If you set to go start with just 10 sucker, before 10th month of hervest ,it multiply more than 30 and on and on withinout stress like weeding and all that stuff.
If you are ready to go ,promise to stand by you ,then thank me later!

Pls in what state do you sell a bunch of plantain for 1700 per bunch direct from farm?

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by madgoat(m): 8:35am On Dec 10, 2017
dynamix101:

Pls in what state do you sell a bunch of plantain for 1700 per bunch direct from farm?
You dey mind the person? How will he sell it for N1700 direct from farm. Only mugu buyers that consume it personally will buy it.

2 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Ghostmode2two(m): 8:38am On Dec 10, 2017
What about thieves that can go to the farm to harvest someone's crops? is there diseases that affect these crops?

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Danieltheone(m): 8:47am On Dec 10, 2017
brownsugar23:
Presently am into plantain started the process since may having 12 plot of land and am still yet to finish. Planting about 750 sucker. That business is capital based all my salary goes to that business you pay worker and so na. I pray � God see me through in the time of harvest

Please keep us posted on how it goes, thinking of the same too. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 10, 2017
Banana is more profitable, there is more demand for it. Go for banana.

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by stolenstone: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2017
A Plantain Planter Planted Plantain in the Plantain Plantation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2017
consultancy:
I'm nt into farming, but I think plantain farming should be more lucrative, given that demand for it is more, as it can be made into various forms of food(fufu,porridge,boiled,fried,with beans,chips,etc), while its counterpart can only be eaten as passtime snacks

Actually, Banana is more marketable, esp in the southern part of the country. It's more profitable because it cost more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Sterope(f): 8:55am On Dec 10, 2017
grin
DKJaleel:
Banana is for the boys, Plantain for the men.

Plantain is bigger and better and it fills more.

Banana will give you jedi jedi but Plantain will give you orgasm

Davido is banana, just 2 baby mama. 2baba is Plantain with plenty baby mama

Banana cannot make dodo, Plantain can make dodo

Plantain will make for us our trademark Amala and the leaves will shield our beloved ewedu to keep it fresh

Goats fancy Plantain more and we have more GOATS than monkeys in Nigeria

Plantain is more effective in making jazz than banana..
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by mfm04622: 9:05am On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:

That is false! Some parts of the North grow both Plantain and banana! As long as you have enough water and the soil is right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dynamix101(m): 9:08am On Dec 10, 2017
madgoat:

You dey mind the person? How will he sell it for N1700 direct from farm. Only mugu buyers that consume it personally will buy it.

Actually i smell an internet farmer. In one big market here in Lag, we bought 2 bunches for 1500. So?

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by glossy6(f): 9:24am On Dec 10, 2017
godsamist:
Remember bros this is annual crops,both of this plants are profitable, but banana Butch cost more than plantain .
Here in the east one head of plantain good looking cost #1800,while a very good looking banana cost been #2000 to 2,#2500. And remember your site matters a lot,How safe is your site?
Currently I am enjoying this biz,looking foreword of expanding this biz...at least having up to hundred stand is a lot of money with less effort, Bros jump on board and thank me later!

I want to plant 500 suckers of plantain by next year and I believe it to be a good investmemt

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by brownsugar23: 9:42am On Dec 10, 2017
Danieltheone:

Please keep us posted on how it goes, thinking of the same too. Thanks
No problem will do that
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by ifechez: 9:49am On Dec 10, 2017
godsamist:
I am into plantain farming with start up of 50 stand and a butch sales for #1700 by 50….good money?
Well taking a larger step,wants another land that can contain 100 stands,
It all depends on good place the biz is good and don't need much stress.
If you set to go start with just 10 sucker, before 10th month of hervest ,it multiply more than 30 and on and on withinout stress like weeding and all that stuff.
If you are ready to go ,promise to stand by you ,then thank me later!

Good morning. Just seeing this. I am really interested and stays in the East as well. Can you email me on newbetterphase@gmail.com or drop ur email so I can reach you. Tanx
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AishaBuhari: 10:19am On Dec 10, 2017
This is nice meh! But the major issue for those of us who are interested is acquiring a land! sad
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by uvalued(m): 10:36am On Dec 10, 2017
Represent
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by mcfestgee: 11:03am On Dec 10, 2017
Plantain and banana farming works more on the economy of scales. If you have less than 300, you might not make significant profit becos you might eat significant number. It is from experience, I farm in thousands.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Alexanity(m): 11:10am On Dec 10, 2017
My mum does both plantain and Banana plantation and I tell you Banana is more profitable, reason is becuase banana bunch is usually far bigger than plantains bunch and banana has the capacity to multiply faster than plantain in the couse of time, again banana has better root so during dry season their survival rate is better than plaintain with shallow root, I know based on which has better usage, yes plantains may be more nutritional and all of that but plantain is more like a food while banana is more like a fruits and for the record fruits had been more costly than most other food

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dbynonetwork: 11:29am On Dec 10, 2017
mfm04622:

That is false! Some parts of the North grow both Plantain and banana! As long as you have enough water and the soil is right

Yes just some.... Maybe 0.9999999% of the northern land mass.. Say some part of Kogi n benue..
All my plantain plantation in 2012 till today never bear fruit.... When the dry season set in, they are all gone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by filcast(m): 11:34am On Dec 10, 2017
mcfestgee:
Plantain and banana farming works more on the economy of scales. If you have less than 300, you might not make significant profit becos you might eat significant number. It is from experience, I farm in thousands.
I am interested in starting both next year. Kindly advise me on the necessary requirements. Land is available. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by henrygentle: 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2017
dynamix101:

Actually i smell an internet farmer. In one big market here in Lag, we bought 2 bunches for 1500. So?

Is it 1500 each?
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2017
mcfestgee:
Correct. When I was in Ibadan. I visited iita.
Meet mr.?? In charge of platain & banana.
The guy open my eye for the biz.
You basically start with 1000 suckers so you can call it a full time job.

As a strategy, he identifies breeds that are more productive – high-yielding and pest-resistant varieties.

At the beginning of the planting season, you buy 1,000 suckers at N120 each, which adds up to N120,000. When you harvest you will get 1,000 bunches of plantain which you will sell for at least N1400 each. So, you will make about N1.4 million.

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by joinnow: 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:

Yes just some.... Maybe 0.9999999% of the northern land mass.. Say some part of Kogi n benue..
All my plantain plantation in 2012 till today never bear fruit.... When the dry season set in, they are all gone.
Have you been to Manbilla its in Taraba state.
Plantain and banana is so big fresh.
You cannot eat three banana at once.
Taraba is North

1 Like

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by emmanuelpopson(m): 12:50pm On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:

the soil isnt moist enough to give plantain its needed water and nutrients.. mind you.. the plantain tree is 90% water and so couldn't grow well in an arid region as the northern part of the country... down South, we have a rain Forest vegetation and wet loamy soil...thanks for the question..

3 Likes

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by AFIXO(m): 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
Based on my experience both on sales and production of plantain i can confirm to you that plantain is more profitable than banana in many ways. If you wants to belief me go to suba market in abuja, idi oro and ketu in Lagos and see things for yourself.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by blessingsonflee(f): 12:53pm On Dec 10, 2017
Plantain ofcourse!
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by dynamix101(m): 1:33pm On Dec 10, 2017
henrygentle:

Is it 1500 each?

For both. one sometimes can buy for 600 per bunch. If u take out cost of transport and wholesaler+retailer profits, how much will it be sold at the farm??
Re: Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? by Chokmah(m): 2:53pm On Dec 10, 2017
dbynonetwork:

It's because the northern region is basically a Sahel Savannah. All pseudo stem plants don't do well in such regions except with the aid of artificial means.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. / Understanding The National Egg Production (NEGPRO) Scheme & How To Participate / Best Species Of Vegetables And Fruits For Faster Snail Growth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.