Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It (38991 Views)

UNIBEN Professor, Alexander Emoghene, Dies / Secondary School Boys Excited As They Go On Suspension (Photo) / UNICAL Recalls Professor Cyril Ndifon After Rape Accusation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Young4jose: 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2017
Good name is better than richest indeed

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by slowice(m): 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2017
Wow.. A good name indeed is better than riches.... God bless our renowned prof.

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by MrsNgoziKalu(f): 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2017
very handsome professor
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by free2ryhme: 9:56pm On Dec 06, 2017
Wonderful encounter
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Artorius(m): 9:57pm On Dec 06, 2017
emeijeh:
That means if he meets Anthony Joshua, he will just

grin

You are seriously comparing a theoretical physicist to some heavy weight boxing fellow? Brother, you need a brain scan angry

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by miqos02(m): 9:57pm On Dec 06, 2017
Good
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by mrphysics(m): 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2017
I am blessed to have been taught by the Professor. He lectures were amazing though he taught us at old age
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by emeijeh(m): 9:59pm On Dec 06, 2017
allstarcomic:

Even you too you have joined them.

Lol.
Am I popular here?
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by daadaass: 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
Just imagine the kind of comments on the tread. Never heard of him before, I had to google him. Indeed he is an achiever...
To those who have problem with his facial beauty, you grow old too.....

3 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by jobaltol: 10:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
To those commenters that do not cherish sound and quality minds....i shake my head for you...
I do notice that our youths celebrate entertainers...those that do not add substance to our societal development....and neglect the so called contributors to the society
Alas, I read a book on evolution from the Sahelophethecus found in Chad to australopithecus down to homo habilis, homo erectus, homo rhodiesiense, to our present homo sapiens... I learnt that adaptability plays a key role in evolution...
If evolution is real, with our current approach to societal development via our values, we would not be able to adapt to the changing environmental vagaries....thereby leading to a wipe off of our lineages

3 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Bigprick9inches: 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2017
Who school ep
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Michaelpresh(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2017
Professor emiratus or 30billion . Make your choice now
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by deji17: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2017
Eziafa ka ego
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Danelo(m): 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2017
Please what's the name of the professor again, I can't read well can anyone try pronouncing it for me?
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by supereagle(m): 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2017
We have good scientists in Nigeria, but we prefer to exalt art show to academic excellence. There's no field of study you will not see a Nigerian that has excelled there.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 06, 2017
Dannieln1:
me that don't even know the professor lemme don't waste this FP
lemme just kukuli say something that's been bothering me but thankGod our youth have taken a giant step to curb it

if you want the end of Reign of SARS please and please click like
because together we can:
#ENDSARS
#dropYourGunFaceMeOneOnOneSee

Shebi them say make you carry many likes come coven tonight?
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by supereagle(m): 10:09pm On Dec 06, 2017
Michaelpresh:

A good name is better than gold and silver says the Bible. We remember Newtown for numerous researches, how many rich men of his time do you know?

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by bedspread: 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2017
Keneking:
Economy class(room) grin
SHARAPPPP... IS DT ALL U GOT FROM A WISE MESSAGE?
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by stankezzy: 10:14pm On Dec 06, 2017
I used to pass his office then at unn, in chemistry building it always remain locked , if such a person was not even given a position in the board of Nigerian space/satellite something , but abokiss that went to teachers training schools, then u wonder why our country is not moving forward
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by ChiefSweetus: 10:23pm On Dec 06, 2017
Very many asinine comments here.
If it was e-money or some other all money no substance character, same commenters will somersault in deference. Pathetic!

Inspirational post. I'm always in awe when I see brilliant men. So amazing how many true intellectuals Anambra has produced. See the Okigbo clan alone, of which author belongs. Humbling!

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2017
AntiWailer:

Even if it is the man's look. Tell the guy to show us his father.

grin grin cheesy
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by mastermaestro(m): 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Resist the temptation to be shallow. The point of the article is not the man's looks.

Many Nigerians have no respect for intellectuals. This is why Nigeria is stagnant all round.

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by ChiefSweetus: 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2017
Danelo:
Please what's the name of the professor again, I can't read well can anyone try pronouncing it for me?
Isn't there a romance section post you can go and display your "wit" at?

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by AFONJAPIG(m): 10:29pm On Dec 06, 2017
a professor that can not product toothpick that one na professor
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Mayflowa(m): 10:35pm On Dec 06, 2017
ChangeIsCostant:
A Nigerian man, Patrick O. Okigbo III, has shared his encounter with 79-year-old Professor Emeritus, Alexander Animalu of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), whom he met on a flight from Enugu to Abuja.

The renowned professor Animalu is a physicist of international repute, member of the highest advisory body on Science and Technology to the Nigerian government, a pioneer of solar energy in Nigeria, the only African member to date of the Advisory Board of the Euro-Journal Physics and the only African member of the Editorial Board of the Hadronic Journal.

Below is what the excited man posted on Facebook after his meeting with the aged professor.

GOOD NAME

I am on the Air Peace flight from Enugu to Abuja. As usual, it is packed with a good mix of Ndigbo leaving the region to hustle in other parts of Nigeria and probably the world. It is always a good place to meet people and to get a sense for what’s happening in the region. You are sure to pick up interesting conversations.

As I walked to my seat towards the back of the plane, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have been assigned a seat across the aisle from Prof. Alexander Animalu, the renowned theoretical physicist. He was already holding court with some of the people seated around him. He regaled them with stories from his days at the then-prestigious Dennis Memorial Grammar School (DMGS) also referred to, by rivals, as “Does Monkey Go to School”. Animalu was in the graduating class of 1957. There were two other “DenGramites” around us and they were in awe of the man. They had only heard stories of Animalu’s academic prowess but never had a chance to meet him in person.

Prof. Animalu told us stories of how he arrived in the USA on January 01, 1966 to study physics at MIT on a Shell-BP scholarship. I told him that it was coincidental that my dad arrived London on the same day to study accountancy on a scholarship from Eastern Nigeria Development Commission.

He mentioned that he is from Oba in Anambra state. I told him that I am from next door, Ojoto. He spoke about some of my uncles who were his contemporaries: Pius, Bede, Chris. At the mention of Chris, the discussion went to the War.

As is often the case, Biafra makes a cameo in these conversations. Prof. Animalu did not fight in the war because he was in the States. Like most people from the region, he lost many friends and family members.

We spoke about his academic career and how much goodwill he still enjoys. Most of the people on the plane who recognized him came by to shake his hands. Even some politicians came from the front of the plane to greet him.

I thought of all the big Ogas on this plane: current National Chairman of a political party, two candidates in the January 2018 Senatorial elections in Anambra, a former Honourable Minister, etc. None had the same level of genuine admiration as this reputed emeritus professor who sat at the back of the plane, hoping to remain incognito, but whose academic accomplishments, life’s work, and good name caused for a long procession of people who just wanted to shake his hands. I kept thinking, “eziafa ka ego” (good name is better than money).

As the air hostess announced (in a jumble of accents) that we should switch off our phones and get ready for departure, I asked Prof. Animalu for a selfie. He obliged. I captured the moment to use it to teach my kids that good name is better than silver and gold.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/man-shares-his-experiience-after-encounter-with-prof-animalu-alexander-o-e.html

I have a little correction to made to Animalu's profile. He never attended MIT as a student. He did his master and PhD degree in Cambridge in Uk and started as a research assistant in Stanford University and later got a job as Assistant Professor in Missouri University in Science and Technology and moved to Drexel University. He was thereafter to work in a Professor lab in MIT.

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Charly68: 10:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
Great professor ! I love celebrating great minds ..Nigeria is blessed in all ramifications
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by anaton(m): 10:54pm On Dec 06, 2017
Michaelpresh:

Emiratus

I know your choice already.

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by nnokwa042(m): 10:55pm On Dec 06, 2017
kn23h:
Iyama. See face like chuku abiamala sacrifice.
pray to reach his age

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by ashjay001(m): 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
kn23h:
Iyama. See face like chuku abiamala sacrifice.

I truly expected better from ushocked
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by iykecicero: 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
The professor taught me a second year physics course in my second year at UNN. He’s very funny. I could recall an occasion where a student complained that he couldn’t afford his textbook and writing notes. The professor smiled and advised the fellow to be writing on the sand outside the lecture room. It was hilarious.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by gazilion: 11:02pm On Dec 06, 2017
Prof Animalu taught me physics 205 thermodynamics at University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He's well respected in the academic circle. He's a good man and I wish him well and quite funny.

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by ashjay001(m): 11:03pm On Dec 06, 2017
teadrake:
An epitome of excellence that we should all be proud of and yet someone is complaining about the man's look.

U should go back n read d first line of d post! Op didnt write d article.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Covenant University Producing Many Atheists - Students / 10 Best Courses To Study In Nigeria Today / COVID-19 Patient Writes WAEC In Isolation Centre In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.