Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax (4156 Views)

CBN To Reintroduce Fee On Remote-on-us ATM Withdrawal / FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads / Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by otokx(m): 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2010
Fuel tax is for what.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by jbman(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2010
If only they were willing to do something tangible with the money and not squashing the money around themselves. It won't be a bad idea, let alone, this is another way of sigh-phoning the masses, enriching their purses daily or they might have turn a new leave by maintaining the federal roads in other words we are paying our taxes indirectly. May God come to our rescue b4 it will be too late for us the youths
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by jemmyvibe: 5:44pm On Mar 30, 2010
"He said that while FERMA would require about N1tn annually to fix the nation‘s deplorable roads, it had received only N30bn in the last two years through budgetary allocation for road maintenance. "

FERMA does not require N1tn to fix roads annually! If you fix one road properly, it doesn't need maintanance for at least 15 years!

These guys should go and learn road construction from western countries.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by ndustan(m): 6:07pm On Mar 30, 2010
i am impressed by this leaders , they are too smart , refuse the toll gate and wat u get is more pot holes and death trap so lets choose one, because we all can bark and got no teeth, they have done it several times they can do it again, PDP ?
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by bobokelly(m): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2010
Toll gate again, na waoo, now tell me how many to gate is there in the north?, most of this toll gates are in the south and east, if that should be the case, more toll gate should be created in the northern areas
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by Sunofgod(m): 6:56pm On Mar 30, 2010
So after paying of rogue police officers we go begin pay toll again?

Wont that cause inflation - Higher transport costs?

Extortion at its highest level.

As for fuel, instead of talking about subsidising fuel prices for Nigerians they are again talking of fuel tax?

Are they not personally making enough money from fuel?

Pure extortion,
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by kunleee(m): 8:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
@ all,although d development if judiciously implement and accounted for is ok.but the adverse effect is going to bounce on the masses.cost of transport wil definitely rise,which wil equaly give rise to price of food item,other necessity likewise services, my own opinion,i dont see any need of it,d budgetery allocation to d road shld just be increase,likewise any exces of any crued oil and unspent money from other ministry should be diverted to the road.period.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by royalicon(m): 8:21pm On Mar 30, 2010
shocked
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by sizzlers(m): 10:18pm On Mar 30, 2010
For instance, u ar coming frm lagos to d east u must encounter at least 40 checkpoints, out of the 40 u settle 20 not to talk of the FRS and custom officials infact i wonder what those karki men(custom.) are doing on the road, the roads are now their duty post werelse they are suppose to be at the port/borders. Then come settle mopos at the toll gates wey dey keep order finally u come settle toll itself. May God help us oo!!
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by meerkat(m): 11:09pm On Mar 30, 2010
naija embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by Sunofgod(m): 11:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
"The Chairman, Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, Mr. Abdulkadir Kure, said in Lagos on Monday that the decision to bring back toll collection on federal roads had already received the blessing of the stakeholders"

WHO ARE THESE STAKEHOLDERS - HOW LONG WILL DEVILS RULE NIGERIA?
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by arogbowei: 11:50pm On Mar 30, 2010
Policy reversal remains the bane of Nigeria. In future, we hope there will be thorough consideration before we embark on any project at all.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by enekwizu14(m): 1:39am On Mar 31, 2010
moderator what is your fu-ckin problem.if you keep deleting everything here then what are we suppose to write then,lies?this is bull shyte
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by sentix(m): 4:22am On Mar 31, 2010
And what about some of us who use more fuel for Generator rather than on the road!

5 percent even though the generator does not run on the road!

Na Wa o!!!!!!
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by Ayoolaj: 8:37am On Mar 31, 2010
that may not be a baaad idea afterall, provided d acrued founds will be utilised as said!
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by kshow1(m): 10:06am On Mar 31, 2010
What are we benefiting as a citizen of this country even after paying the normal income tax to the government, we still don't have electricity,social infrastructure,good health care ,good roads etc

Now they are planning to milk us more by reintroducing toll gates and fuel tax to further enrich themselves.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by gReenmAn(m): 11:34am On Mar 31, 2010
and the merry-go-round continues shocked
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by christ4mi(f): 11:51am On Mar 31, 2010
This is a very good news! Nigerians have to pay for the road they use. I Look the FG
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by ziga: 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2010
For once, why can't look for the good thing in some initiatives.

The ministry of works is trying to generate money for road maintenance - great

They intend to do this by rebuilding toll plazas - also good, only thing i notice, just like a lot of other people is we shouldn't be going back and forth. First, we destroyed, and now we are rebuilding. On the other hand, since the fuel tax was cancelled by the court of appeal, this is acceptable.

What we need to do, rather than condemn is to look for ways this can work for us.

What use is condemning if you can't suggest something better.

My contribution is, for this to work, it has to be 100% transparent, no corrupt practices.

Also, i believe we can make the card system work for us. It will help with accountability.

No electricity, but GSM operators are working!!! When there is a will, there is always a way.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by Sunofgod(m): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2010
"Headline - The Hausa/Fulani/Muslim Propagandist Invade Nairaland with Bows, Arrows and Ignorance"

shocked

Beware,
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by alldone(m): 6:15pm On Mar 31, 2010
this is too bad one government said no another says yes. where are we going?
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by Ceedorf: 7:16pm On Mar 31, 2010
ziga:

They intend to do this by rebuilding toll plazas - also good, only thing i notice, just like a lot of other people is we shouldn't be going back and forth. First, we destroyed, and now we are rebuilding. On the other hand, since the fuel tax was cancelled by the court of appeal, this is acceptable.

What we need to do, rather than condemn is to look for ways this can work for us.

My contribution is, for this to work, it has to be 100% transparent, no corrupt practices.

Also, i believe we can make the card system work for us. It will help with accountability.

No electricity, but GSM operators are working!!! When there is a will, there is always a way.

Your points are very good one. However, the people that are complaining do not just wish to complain. We are FED-UP with the "operation rich syndrome with the masses money".
If you leave in Nigeria, may I ask you some question: What is the benefit of almost 20% tax on income of individuals? When last do you have electricity in your house? Do you have access to clean water as it suppose to be? Do you ever give a thought over the education of the masses if you have more than enough to send your wards to private schools or schools oversea? Of what value will more tax bring to the people with the present set of Leaders? I leave you to think deeply more on why the people are complaining. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by tekma: 7:35pm On Mar 31, 2010
we don't nid dis people 2 come and hit on us again, we ve been badly hit by dem an still being keft worse dan wen dey met us, I realy dont think we should continue praying and fasting 4 dis thiefs 2 keep feeding fat on us, we nid 2 stand up against dem
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by eros(m): 12:44am On Apr 01, 2010
SCAM SCAM SCAM angry angry angry
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by snoop4real: 1:52pm On Apr 01, 2010
How about FG borrows the money, fixes all the roads within a said time and then they can in good conscience bill us even 1k per kilometer
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by agitator: 2:09pm On Apr 02, 2010
ziga:

a poster already responded

do you how much tax people pay? once you start a shop Environmental sanitation people comes around, council people with all sorts of taxes - development levy, operation permit, etc (note: in some states you pay sanitation to council also) etc. State levies and taxes.

Please tell your dad to have pity on the common man.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by obataala(m): 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2010
Enough is enough!!!.this country belongs to all of us we must resist this,its draconial and evil.the time we took our destiny by our own hands is now. What has been the justification of accountability to warrant their continued plundering of the masses? Nothing except unrepentant looting and depletion of the treasury. We would not buy into this unpopular development if the federation is fund insufficient let it deal with the looting,embazzlement,misappropriation,coveting of public fund for self and all the horrible atrocities they commit with impunity. by those alone, nigeria can have an annual budget. Let they keep their hands off atrocities against the nation and we wont have any more fund in flight invariably funds we be available for both capital and recurrent expenditures likewise capital project will be aggresively embacked upon. Until then,we shall say no,no and no.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by ziga: 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2010
agitator:

a poster already responded

do you how much tax people pay? once you start a shop[b] Environmental sanitation people comes around, council people with all sorts of taxes - development levy, operation permit, etc (note: in some states you pay sanitation to council also) etc. State levies and taxes.[/b]

Please tell your dad to have pity on the common man.

I understand your sentiments about multiple taxation. But that is a different problem that also needs to be addressed.

The issue i was addressing was the usefulness of th toll levies. And i said collecting toll fees will not be a bad thing if it is actually used for road maintenance.

Or are you suggesting that the sanitation levies you complained about should be used for road maintenance.

By the way, I'll be sure to pass ur message along to my dad.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by ziga: 4:58pm On Apr 02, 2010
Ceedorf:

Your points are very good one. However, the people that are complaining do not just wish to complain. We are FED-UP with the "operation rich syndrome with the masses money".
If you leave in Nigeria, may I ask you some question: What is the benefit of almost 20% tax on income of individuals? When last do you have electricity in your house? Do you have access to clean water as it suppose to be? Do you ever give a thought over the education of the masses if you have more than enough to send your wards to private schools or schools oversea? Of what value will more tax bring to the people with the present set of Leaders? I leave you to think deeply more on why the people are complaining. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your concerns, but the points i was raising is completely different.

I was saying, if the money collected is used for its original purpose, that might be a good thing(well maintained roads).

Sometimes, we just need to be a little positive and we may get good things. But if the only thought you have about everything is bad, then you'll only get the bad.

There is power in your thought and speech.
Re: Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax by agitator: 12:36pm On Apr 03, 2010
ziga:

I understand your concerns, but the points i was raising is completely different.

I was saying, if the money collected is used for its original purpose, that might be a good thing(well maintained roads).

Sometimes, we just need to be a little positive and we may get good things. But if the only thought you have about everything is bad, then you'll only get the bad.

There is power in your thought and speech.

We have been positive for a long time without any results. Nobody is against paying levies or taxes. Do you know that people contribute money to buy cables, poles and transformers just to have light? That in some areas residents contribute to work on the roads leading to their accommodation? etc. I want you to be aware that nobody is against levies and taxes but promises not kept after collecting. angry

We pay to GSM operators to use our phones on their network, PayTV operators (DSTV, HiTV, etc) to watch TV and countless other things, why won't we pay to have better roads, pipe borne water, etc. Nigerians are not fools.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Abdulmutallab Failed To Blow Up Our Plane – US / Today Is Public Holiday In Delta State / Invitation To Buhari's Retirement Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.