Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,258 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist (3704 Views)

What Should Be The Proper Age Gap For A Man And Woman Planning Marriage? / What Is The Largest Age Gap Between You And Someone You Dated? / We Are Looking For A Pretty Hausa Or Northern Lady For Our Brother For Marraige (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 8:16am On Dec 08, 2017
I found this very interesting article while surfing the web this morning and it raises some interesting points. I copied a few paragraphs.

“When a friend opts to date someone who is old enough to be their parent, a common response is to see if the decision passes the “half their age plus seven” test. The rule, whose origins remain mysterious, has been passed down through generations as a way of justifying or, more commonly, pouring scorn on other people’s couplings. It’s fine for a 22-year-old to go out with an 18-year-old. It’s not OK for a 38-year-old to go out with a 23-year-old, however a 26-year-old would be fair game. The older you get, the wider the permissible age gap: a 50-year-old can venture as old as 86.

That’s the theory. In practice, research conducted by Christian Rudder, co-founder of OKCupid, a dating website, suggests that when it comes to age gaps, men and women have slightly different ideas. While female users look for men roughly the same age as them (or perhaps a year or two older) men prefer women in their early twenties, regardless of their own age. While women prefer a small and constant age gap, men are so hooked on the idea of a nubile young partner that they prefer a larger age gap the older they get....”

https://www.1843magazine.com/1843-answers/the-daily/whats-the-best-age-gap-in-a-relationship

So over to you guys...
Are men and women searching wisely? And what is the ideal age difference? Or can a woman be older than his man?
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Fxmanager(m): 8:40am On Dec 08, 2017
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by damichworld(m): 8:40am On Dec 08, 2017
Age is just a number ..... Main koko is joy and happiness in relationship or marriage
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by ibkkk(f): 9:20am On Dec 08, 2017
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:56am On Dec 08, 2017
nice topic
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by babyfaceafrica: 10:27am On Dec 08, 2017
Who age EPP?....what is the age difference between olu Jacobs and joke silver,jay jay okocha and nkechi and KANU nwakwo and his wife.....?....age is just a number
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by habsydiamond(m): 10:37am On Dec 08, 2017
Na age go put food for table.....as long as but parties understands themselves, set good goals and strategies how to accomplish the goals...
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Rukkydelta(f): 10:50am On Dec 08, 2017
I will be 5years older than hubby
The younger the better smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 11:36am On Dec 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Who age EPP?....what is the age difference between olu Jacobs and joke silver,jay jay okocha and nkechi and KANU nwakwo and his wife.....?....age is just a number

Age matters bro... if you go on to read the article. It has significant effects. Let me highlight them for you.

1. Some economists have wondered whether smaller age gaps between partners could have wider, societal benefits, as they might help to narrow the gender earnings gap. Because earnings rise with age, and women tend to couple with older men, relative earnings around the time of childbirth could put subtle pressure on women to drop out of work.

2. A smaller age gap could also make couples more likely to stay together. There was some evidence that women marrying later than 30 who were more than ten years older than their spouse were more likely to divorce.

3. Common sense does suggest that a large age gap would have implications for old age. Having someone to look after you in your dotage is wise, as is avoiding widowhood. A younger, healthier partner could make sense, at least from your side of the equation. Another study by Sven Drefahl of the University of Stockholm looked at people over the age of 50 in Denmark, and found that men with younger spouses survived for longer than those with ones of a similar age. The older their spouse, the worse their survival chances, even after controlling for things like education and wealth.

Plus I also think, much younger wife could be promiscuous, considering the older man may not be able to satisfy her.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
those ones are accepted age gaps.what can u say of a 88 yr old man dating a 21 yr old girlcheesy or an 18 yr old boy dating a 50 yr old woman.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by babyfaceafrica: 11:59am On Dec 08, 2017
Venerable612:

Age matters bro... if you go on to read the article. It has significant effects. Let me highlight them for you.

1. Some economists have wondered whether smaller age gaps between partners could have wider, societal benefits, as they might help to narrow the gender earnings gap. Because earnings rise with age, and women tend to couple with older men, relative earnings around the time of childbirth could put subtle pressure on women to drop out of work.

2. A smaller age gap could also make couples more likely to stay together. There was some evidence that women marrying later than 30 who were more than ten years older than their spouse were more likely to divorce.

3. Common sense does suggest that a large age gap would have implications for old age. Having someone to look after you in your dotage is wise, as is avoiding widowhood. A younger, healthier partner could make sense, at least from your side of the equation. Another study by Sven Drefahl of the University of Stockholm looked at people over the age of 50 in Denmark, and found that men with younger spouses survived for longer than those with ones of a similar age. The older their spouse, the worse their survival chances, even after controlling for things like education and wealth.

Plus I also think, much younger wife could be promiscuous, considering the older man may not be able to satisfy her.
just assumptions using European statistics... Does it matter in Africa?..I don't think so?....happiness matters..if I am happy with someone 10 years older than me,I can go ahead.and what about physiological effect?...ladies age faster than men..you will be suprised that a 35 year old that marries a 25 year old ...in the next 10 years you won't know the difference BTW the two...and you forget the Nigerian factor two...by the time a man is ready he will be most times in his 30s and a lady that is just in her 20s won't want to wait for that her bf who just finish Nysc... She will prefer a ready made man in his 30s and 40s....

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by babyfaceafrica: 12:00pm On Dec 08, 2017
lefulefu:
those ones are accepted age gaps.what can u say of a 88 yr old man dating a 21 yr old girlcheesy or an 18 yr old boy dating a 50 yr old woman.
lolz.....that was is abnormal naw...
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by tosyne2much(m): 12:04pm On Dec 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
just assumptions using European statistics... Does it matter in Africa?..I don't think so?....happiness matters..if I am happy with someone 10 years older than me,I can go ahead.and what about physiological effect?...ladies age faster than men..you will be suprised that a 35 year old that marries a 25 year old ...in the next 10 years you won't know the difference BTW the two...and you forget the Nigerian factor two...by the time a man is ready he will be most times in his 30s and a lady that is just in her 20s won't want to wait for that her bf who just finish Nysc... She will prefer a ready made man in his 30s and 40s....
I totally agree with you
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
lolz.....that was is abnormal naw...
well there are sugar daddies/sugar mummies within that range who date very young partnerscheesy.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by babyfaceafrica: 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2017
lefulefu:
well there are sugar daddies/sugar mummies within that range who date very young partnerscheesy.
are you one of them?
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
are you one of them?
:p tongue
babyfaceafrica:
are you one of them?
:p
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by olisehcom(f): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2017
15yrs and below is cool... lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2017
olisehcom:
15yrs and below is cool... lipsrsealed

Hmmmm.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 20, 2017
Venerable612:

Which economists and what are their names?
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 5:54pm On Dec 20, 2017
Rolex67:
Which economists and what are their names?

The passage I copied, was a direct quote from the Article on “the Economist” (I provided a link)

No disrespect, online articles are not academic journals so I don’t think it would have been necessary to put up names on the article.

Articles on the Economist and Financial Times are just there to spur interests and raise topical issues; not to ‘prove’ an academic opinion.

I hope this helps ma’am.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 20, 2017
Venerable612:

The passage I copied, was a direct quote from the Article on “the Economist” (I provided a link)

No disrespect, online articles are not academic journals so I don’t think it would have been necessary to put up names on the article.

Articles on the Economist and Financial Times are just there to spur interests and raise topical issues; not to ‘prove’ an academic opinion.

I hope this helps ma’am.
I am an economist so I have not heard or read about modern or contemporary economists talking about relationship and age, its simply about the economy and the great depression, so I wanted to know the economist who said all these.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 20, 2017
Rukkydelta:
I will be 5years older than hubby
The younger the better smiley

And i will say to that, the older the berry the sweeter the juice......wink

i hope its okay for a guy to like older women....lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:05pm On Dec 20, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
. Honestly,this is a very intelligent response. I couldn't ve said it better.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2017
Rolex67:
I am an economist so I have not heard or read about modern or contemporary economists talking about relationship and age, its simply about the economy and the great depression, so I wanted to know the economist who said all these.

Well said!

And I suppose you can’t possibly have read and heard about all modern or contemporary economists’ thoughts on all subject matter.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, I simply did a google search. Got an article which makes similar comparison...

“Economics seem likely to be a key factor affecting young adults’ relationship quality. Several studies have linked financial instability to relationship dissolution and divorce (Burstein, 2007; Hoffman & Duncan, 1995; Kalmijn, Loeve, & Manting, 2007; Lewin, 2005; South, 2001). Explanations for this relationship suggest that economic hardship may place stress on couples, thereby increasing conflict and leading eventually to divorce (Ono, 1998; White & Rogers, 2000).”

So yh, I think Economists relate economic issues to virtually all facets of life - that’s why it’s a social science. It can’t all, as you suppose, be about the economy and Great Depression alone. If it were, they will lose their relevance.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
Venerable612:

Well said!

And I suppose you can’t possibly have read and heard about all modern or contemporary economists’ thoughts on all subject matter.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, I simply did a google search. Got an article which makes similar comparison...

“Economics seem likely to be a key factor affecting young adults’ relationship quality. Several studies have linked financial instability to relationship dissolution and divorce (Burstein, 2007; Hoffman & Duncan, 1995; Kalmijn, Loeve, & Manting, 2007; Lewin, 2005; South, 2001). Explanations for this relationship suggest that economic hardship may place stress on couples, thereby increasing conflict and leading eventually to divorce (Ono, 1998; White & Rogers, 2000).”

So yh, I think Economists relate economic issues to virtually all facets of life - that’s why it’s a social science. It can’t all, as you suppose, be about the economy and Great Depression alone. If it were, they will lose their relevance.
I see.
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by MasterKim: 3:04am On Dec 22, 2017
My baby mama is 8yrs older than me
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Venerable612(m): 8:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
MasterKim:
My baby mama is 8yrs older than me

Happiness is the most important bro
Re: What Is The Best Age Gap In A Relationship And Marraige? - The Economist by Stycon(m): 8:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
10 years younger tongue

(1) (Reply)

How Will You React In This Kinda Situation(pic) / Killer Lips Trending On Twitter / What Is The Strangest Response You've Gotten When You First Unzipped Your Pants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.