Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? (21071 Views)

9 Most Expensive Cars That Were Found Abandoned (PHOTOS) / These 4 Expensive Cars Abandoned On Nigeria Roads Cost 1.2 Billion Naira / The 7 Most Expensive Cars In The World (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by toye440: 8:06am On Dec 27, 2017
African mentality: show off.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by chronique(m): 8:10am On Dec 27, 2017
Abudu2000:
So nobody here thinks expensive cars are more durable with better resale value??
No one here is thinking how faster cars would take u to ur destination??

Neither of you here is thinking of the comfort especially in seasons like this when u can travel with your family and have a nice time.

I guess all of y'all here living a real proverish life indeed and u see rich ppl as a threat..I ve got 5cars and counting, different occasions 4 each

I think he is talking about people "who buy expensive cars and live in houses that do not befit the standard of the house", not necessarily people who buy expensive cars while living in rented apartments.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by northvietnam(m): 8:14am On Dec 27, 2017
Go to yanyaa Abuja and see people staying in one room apartment riding serious machines

But most of them own house else where.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by chronique(m): 8:20am On Dec 27, 2017
chygoz3:
Sometimes it could be a business decision.
Having a certain kind of car could allow you roll with people in a higher social class.
This in turn could help you get contracts among such people.

I once heard a story about a guy who attended a business/contract meeting driving a 'small' car.
The guy impressed the stakeholders so much during his pitch and he was assured of getting the contract.
After the meeting, the MD walked with him as they were discussing until they got to where the guy parked his car.
The countenance of the MD changed immediately he saw the guy's car but the MD said nothing.
On his way driving back to Lagos, he got a text which informed him that unfortunately they could not offer the contract to him.

What do you think could have prompted that?

I have practically experienced that in the past when I was very much into showbiz. People who were to work with my team on projects, basically looked down on us cos none of us had a car and during sharing formula for anticipated revenue, they decided to allot us a paltry 5% cos they felt we were the least in status amongst all partners despite the fact that we were the original owners of the concept. My partner wanted us to manage whatever they gave us but I kicked against it. I went as far as banging the table in a board meeting with these supposed big men and I looked them in the eyes and told them point blank,that it wouldn't work. At the end of the day,I made sure the project never held. Someone got a hint that I was about taking legal actions to stop the whole thing and the others just respected themselves and abandoned it... See ehn,it is good to be intelligent, enlightened, bold and have confidence cos when you have them, people would be careful of what they say to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by jaxxy(m): 8:22am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

I absolutely agree with you, I think people do this to portray themselves as being within the highest social class in society whereas in truth, they are struggling to earn a living. Sometimes, it becomes difficult for them to even carry out maintenance for the car and fuel it. It's a sad situation.

I think it comes down to preference. Sm people stay in expensive apartments bt yet drive camry and corolla cos security at home tops their list. Not everyone has the passion or brain for biz dey rather do deals cud be legal or illegal i don't know. Sm again are car fans and like machines. I know sm1 who buys nice cars and fone cos of his work and needs to impress/woo investors like packaging. So its not always about posing tho sm its the case.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by DrIkB: 8:33am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:
Can you give me an example of expensive cars you see this people in one bedroom apartment driving?

And I hope it's not Toyota camry or Honda Accord.

There are some areas where one bedroom self contain apartment cost up to 1million.
And you don't expect the person occupying it to drive a corolla.

If you don't know, a car is one of the most expensive accessories a person can own.

If I pay 1m for a self contain apartment. I can as well drive a 3m car. The rent will surely finish but the car will stay.
Who says the car will stay, what if it's stolen or involved in an accident?
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by tuoky: 8:34am On Dec 27, 2017
GOD Bless and Proper You.. You just nail it with such a few word..
Esseite:
Your arrival mostimes creates a better first impression..

Atleast it gives that oppurtunity to be heard even if eventually you are dumb.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Readonee35L(m): 8:37am On Dec 27, 2017
DrIkB:

Who says the car will stay, what if it's stolen or involved in an accident?
9ja man mentality.
Haven't you heard of insurance?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 27, 2017
greenhulk:
Some people cannot just mind their own business. Someone bought an expensive car, so what? Go and buy ur own na. Did the person come to beg u for money to maintain the car or money to eat? I just don't get it with Nigerians, na so so aproko. Is it ur money?

its only in nigeria you see people who never think logically. any person who tries to think logically is seen as envioys or negative... you need to change your mindset.would it be ok that you live in a small apartment and barely have space for whatever you need and you go to acquire an automobile that can almost build a decent house for you? would you?
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 27, 2017
doyinbaby:
I work hard for my money....I do whatever I like with it

even students are claiming they work hard for their money.. lol
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by harry2sexy(m): 8:53am On Dec 27, 2017
IT IS HE WHO HAS LIFE THAT CAN BUY CARS

We don't know if there'll be cars in heaven,so let's enjoy it while we can
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by ibnzubair(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Fundamentally, this makes a lot of sense from the Nigerian context, and this truly drives people to purchasing things that ordinarily, is beyond their financial capabilities. Being happy and showing off I would say is probably the reason for their decision.

And again you're using the phrase "beyond their financial capabilities"

Open your mind bro
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Afrocentric: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:
Can you give me an example of expensive cars you see this people in one bedroom apartment driving?

There are some areas where one bedroom self contain apartment cost up to 1million.

If you don't know, a car is one of the most expensive accessories a person can own.

If I pay 1m for a self contain apartment. I can as well drive a 3m car. The rent will surely finish but the car will stay.
you statement show you lack common sense, do cars stay forever? Cars loses value daily
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 27, 2017
aonag:

its only in nigeria you see people who never think logically. any person who tries to think logically is seen as envioys or negative... you need to change your mindset.would it be ok that you live in a small apartment and barely have space for whatever you need and you go to acquire an automobile that can almost build a decent house for you? would you?

U need to change ur own mindset and stop pokenosing in people's matter. If I buy an expensive car how is that ur business? is is ur life, is it ur money? Jeez. When u work for ur money u are free to buy whatever makes u happy. And who told u people that are living in rented apartment and own a big car don't have plans? Some people have house rented out and still live in rented apartment.. shebi na because u dey see am dey ride expensive car, does he also need to write it on his head that he owns his own house or building a house? mtcheew Nigerians sha.

Only in Nigeria will someone hustle for his money and some lazy bones will sit down somewhere and want to dictate to him how he must spend it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by webngnews: 9:07am On Dec 27, 2017
To show off
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by doyinbaby(f): 9:33am On Dec 27, 2017
aonag:

even students are claiming they work hard for their money.. lol
hmmm
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Kokaine(m): 9:38am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:
I see a lot of people driving expensive cars, yet they live in a one room apartment. That leaves me to wonder "why do they do that?' Can it be attributed to low self esteem? Just curious.
sometimes its for their business. some people like seeing that you have a worthy property in case business goes bad between you and them. thats why the first question police ask you if someone takes you to the station for a business gone bad is: sir, what kind of car do you have?

i was in someones office for a 1.4m naira contract. after investigating and confirming my prowess in solar power installation, he called someone on his phone and spoke yoruba to him telling him to go downstairs to check the car i came with. he earlier asked me if i could speak yoruba and i said no. what he didnt realise is that you can understand some languages but cant speak them

after everything, i didnt get that job.

but on another occasion, i was with a rich white client, i had done. job for him before. someone called me for a job and he decided to drop me off there. i sat at the back, and the door was bad, he sat at the front, so he had to come down to open the door from outside for me. the new client saw all that. i didnt have to talk too much. i got that job
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by bigpicture001: 9:39am On Dec 27, 2017
I only bought Toyota spider cuz ma best desired for a relatively cheap to use car "Toyota corolla sport" will b ma wife to be's marage proposal car.for me,average good economy car is the way.till I become tony elumelu..lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Readonee35L(m): 9:43am On Dec 27, 2017
Afrocentric:
you statement show you lack common sense, do cars stay forever? Cars loses value daily
A good 2017 car can still hold a good value for 10 years and above .
But after one year can you stay in the house?

A car is not an investment . But it sometimes hold a percentage of its value than other things one can buy .

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Afrocentric: 10:18am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:

A good 2017 car can still hold a good value for 10 years and above .
But after one year can you stay in the house?

A car is not an investment . But it sometimes hold a percentage of its value than other things one can buy .
so, you can't live in a house you built after ten years abi? Clap � for yourself

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:

This your assumption is biased.
You say you see them waking up to wash this car means you don't even know them personally?
What makes you think they don't have a source of income?
What makes you think they don't have a business?
They have the money to buy the car and also pay their rent. They didn't come for you for help which means they have money to feed.
This your write up sounds more like envy.

And you're definitely not telling the truth about some of those cars you mentioned. Acura Zdx , Glk? Hmmmm.

You don't assume about people's life from afar. Don't say what you don't know.
People live in rented apartments while they have their own houses probably for proximity to work or other reasons.

Nobody will wake up to wash a car every morning. For the car to get dirty everyday that means they drive it to a far place everyday. Which means they actually have a place to go which could be work or where ever.

You sound more like the npf angry .

People are entitled to whatever they want to own.

In the USA there are college students who live with their parents and drive cars worth over $80,000 e.g merecedes E class, Dodge Hellcat , e.t.c
Some people earn 250k per month and they can use 200k to buy a Samsung S8. Different people with different way of life and I feel everyone deserves to be happy. Any one who spends his or her hard earned money on anything deserves it.

The simple thing is to mind your own business and make your money. Whatever thing you use your money for is for yourself and your family.
Good luck.
Best post of the year!
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Mydazz(m): 10:19am On Dec 27, 2017
Sometimes it's just an obsession,...... we all have a material thing or habit that we are obsessed with.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by H2Ossss(m): 10:23am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Mercedes Benz Glk, Toyota Venza, Honda accord 2010 model, Acura ZDX, Toyota Hybrid, honda crosstour etc.
They basically wake up every morning to wash the car like it's the most important asset they own in life, whereas the money used for the purchase of some of these cars could help them start a petty business and even start building houses. Don't you think it's just the prestige and social class and the fact that they want to gain the approval of their peers as being well-off that's driving them to commit to buying such expensive cars?

you think to start business is easy abiii... when you lose all your money in business you will wish you bought a car... to build house hahahah... i stay in lagos.. 5 million might not even get me a land... so i should be trekking

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 27, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
In Nnewi I see a lot of people riding "ladies motorcycle", yet they live in big apartments. That leaves me to wonder "why do they do that?' Can it be attributed to high self esteem? Just curious.

It's a matter of CHOICE.

But if you Really want to know the reasons behind the choice, then the onus lies on you to meet the people involved and get first hand info. Except those on nairaland who fit your description and willingly reply you, your curiosity may not be satisfied.
Nnewi people are business men. Those motorcycles they drive is for business(Nkwo Nnewi)... Lol

You won't see them on Sunday with those motorcycles
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Readonee35L(m): 10:34am On Dec 27, 2017
Fyi0:

Best post of the year!
smiley thank you sir
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by BagWay: 10:38am On Dec 27, 2017
you got so much hate bro
back then wen i had no cash flows
i flew bikes
boarded taxis and all that jus to show
dah niggis is getn thr
nigiis be living big spending fresh
yea
stop hating
stop seeing every niggi in dat ride as faking
quit procastinating
gone are the days when i was hating
fuc all those haters now
more losers are stooling
get your money bag and keep it moving
double it and start grooving
be your own MMM
and watch how many cars ud be crusing
Jakumo:
Men buy expensive cars in order to appear successful and wealthy. They wish to appear wealthy even if they are completely broke, and paying for that flashy car by installment, BECAUSE they know that women are drawn to the ILLUSION of money, just as easily as they are to REAL wealth, regardless of whether the man they presume to be rich is dinosaur-old and ugly as sin.

Posing in an expensive car is a time-proven means of getting more women to open up their legs for wanton humping by the poseur in the fine car, and for that reason ALONE, many a horn-dog will STARVE himself if need be, so as to be able to afford the car that he needs as a vehicle of deception whose primary purpose is to display status, rather than to serve as practical transportation.

If you only drive a palm-wine tapper's unfairly used rusty bicycle, it will be INFINITELY more problematic for you to find women who will gobble and mount your knob, than would be the case if you tooled around town in a Ferrari 450, like our man Dino, that treasury looter extraordinaire, of the "Ajekun Iya" fame.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by kamez(m): 10:38am On Dec 27, 2017
Come to festac, u ll see people living very dirty 1 bedroom flat in a block of 32 flats. With shared kitchen and bathrooms.

But downstairs u all see range rover sports and g-wagon packed all around the block..

I just cant help but wonder!!
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Fxwarrior: 10:54am On Dec 27, 2017
Readonee35L:

Car is a liability while landed property is not. With car comes dependence on cost of fuel which is costly.

My view is that you plan according to your pocket. That 3 million can get you a plot of land with a roof over your head. With no land lord to knock on your gate every year with increment of rent noticification.
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by thedondada(m): 10:54am On Dec 27, 2017
Joelete:

Mercedes Benz Glk, Toyota Venza, Honda accord 2010 model, Acura ZDX, Toyota Hybrid, honda crosstour etc.
They basically wake up every morning to wash the car like it's the most important asset they own in life, whereas the money used for the purchase of some of these cars could help them start a petty business and even start building houses. Don't you think it's just the prestige and social class and the fact that they want to gain the approval of their peers as being well-off that's driving them to commit to buying such expensive cars?

Your first statement is a lie.

Nobody who could afford those cars would be living in a face me I face you kind of house.

And if they just bought the car u can assure you that they are packing out soonest.

Ps next year learn to mind you biz and stop the playahating

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by Fxwarrior: 10:59am On Dec 27, 2017
Afrocentric:
so, you can't live in a house you built after ten years abi? Clap � for yourself

Bros please don't take it personal. Some people dey smoke weed before they come online. Walai!
Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by H2Ossss(m): 11:01am On Dec 27, 2017
Afrocentric:

you talk about building house like it is buying fufu... i dont know where you stay... but i stay in lagos and you really dont want to know the price of land around where i stay... so i should suffer trekking and jumping bus cuz i dont have up to 30 mill to buy a land... when i can take just 3mill to buy a nice car?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Buy Expensive Cars? by SIINXU: 11:03am On Dec 27, 2017
neloyah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Get Doctor's Report For Tinted Glass / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / Where Can One Get SAE 5W30 Engine Oil Here In Nigeria...?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.