Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,655 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:05 PM

Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) (35482 Views)

Yakubu Gowon: Why I Detained Soyinka During The Civil War / Ajijola Ajimobi Graduates From University Of Warwick, United Kingdom (Photos) / Osinbajo Arrives Birmingham, United Kingdom Ahead Of Warwick Africa Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by ashjay001(m): 2:58pm On Dec 18, 2017
adedayoa2:
ojukwu wanted to separate Nigeria, Gowon say Nigeria must be one.

Practically, all of d available leaders then, would have refused an independent biafra!
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by byemx06(m): 4:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
naptu2:

I feel compelled to make this explanation because you are the second person that I've seen in the past week that has claimed that Babangida built the entire Third Mainland Bridge.

Once upon a time traffic flowed from the Mainland onto the Island via Carter Bridge. It was distributed across the Island via Nnamdi Azikiwe Road and Broad Street. Broad Street was the financial capital of Nigeria and Nnamdi Azikiwe Street was the home to several large markets, so, as you can guess, they were plagued with massive traffic jams.

The government concieved the idea of building a ring road around Lagos Island and also building several entrances/exits to/from the Ring Road in order to reduce traffic in Central Lagos.

General Yakubu Gowon was thd head of state at that time, Alhaji Femi Okunnu was the commissioner (minister) for works (he was replaced by Obasanjo in 1974) and Colonel Mobolaji Johnson was the Lagos State governor.

What is Ring Road?

Look at the orange road in the first map below. Ring Road begins at the end of Third Mainland Bridge, at a place known as Adeniji Bus Stop, it goes past Ilubirin, Ikoyi Foreshore, Obalende, Onikan, Marina and ends up back at Adeniji Adele.

Marina used to be a beach, like Unilag Water Front. The government poured concrete on it and turned it into a road. The official name of the road is Ring Road, but people refer to it as "Outer Marina".

There was also a little river that separated Lagos Island from Ikoyi. It was called MacGregor Canal. The government reduced the width of the river, gave it concrete sides (instead of the previous sand banks) and it became the giant gutter that you see at Obalende.

I know people who are still angry with Gowon for converting sand into concrete.

Third Mainland Bridge

The government rebuilt Carter Bridge and built Eko Bridge (which was completed in 1975). The government also had an idea of a bridge that people coming from outside Lagos can use to access Lagos Island. This bridge will substantially bypass the mainland and bring traffic directly on to the Ring Road. It would also decongest Ikorodu Road and the Carter and Eko Bridge.

Serious discussions about the "Third Axial Bridge" began in 1974 or 1975 and the first phase was commissioned by President Shehu Shagari on September 30th, 1980 (to mark Nigeria's 20th anniversary).

The Third Mainland Bridge was being used in the 1980s (before Babangida became president), but you had to get off the bridge at the Ebute Metta/Yaba exit (Look at the second map below. You can see the exit at the place where the words "Third Mainland Bridge" is written). There were barriers across the road that prevented you from going further and when you exit the bridge, you could see the place where the bridge came to an abrupt end.

This meant that you had to take Herbert Macaulay Way and Ikorodu Road if you were going to Ikeja and this also meant that there were massive traffic jams on Herbert Macaulay Way.

I remember the great traffic jam of 1989. Eko Bridge was closed for repairs and everybody had to use either Third Mainland Bridge or Carter Bridge.

There was a Queens College girl in my house and she was meant to come home with the neighbours by 3 o'clock. 3 became 4 and then 5 o'clock and she was not home. I phoned the neighbours and they had no idea what was going on. So my driver and I went in search of the two missing girls. The traffic jam was incredible. We were at a standstill on Third Mainland Bridge and when we eventually got to Herbert Macaulay Way I discovered that people were driving against the flow of traffic and cars were facing each other with no where to go.

Policemen from Adekunle and Sabo police stations were overwhelmed and they just hung around and exchanged jokes with motorists.

We eventually got to Queens College and were told that the girls had already gone home and we went back home, got in after dark to discover that she was already asleep.

Julius Berger extended the bridge by a few metres in 1988 and then abandoned it again.

I'll quote Babangida's speech at the commissioning of the second phase of the bridge in 1990. He said that a new governor was appointed in Lagos and the man came to discuss the Third Mainland Bridge with him. He said that the man kept on coming to his office almost everyday to disturb him about the Third Mainland Bridge. He said that he had to tell his secretary not to allow Governor Rasaki into his office again. He said that he knew that he had to complete the bridge if he wanted peace (Governor Rasaki was laughing behind him).

The bridge was completed in 1990 and in 1991, when the Federal Government was moving from Lagos to Abuja, the section of the bridge from Ebute Metta to Oworonshoki was renamed IBB Bridge (I still have a video of that ceremony).

So you see, Gowon's government conceived the Third Mainland Bridge, Shagari commissioned the first phase and Babangida commissioned the second phase.

Jesus ......... thanks bro
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by AreaFada2: 4:57pm On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

Tanx. Seems I'm learning a lot abt his era. Cant seem to find writings on his achievements, or lack of

Pls, can u confirm, if it was during his era, d groundnut pyramids dissappeared? Heard it was caused by d oil boom?! If truly he knew anything abt it, then, he failed woefully
Well we cannot blame any one person for disappearance of groundnut pyramids. Same as cocoa.

Many educated people in Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo and other places, their parents sponsored them to study abroad with cocoa money. We cannot expect UK trained lawyers, medics, economists and others to return and take over the cocoa farms. At least we Africans do not do things that way.

Failure to mechanise farming was the main cause. As a kid I saw vast rice fields and massive cocoa plantations. These plantations died out. Cocoa plants reach peak yield around 10 to 20 years depending on species. Ibadan became the envy of Africa through cocoa money. As more kids went to school and polygamy reduced, rural labour force reduced or became expensive.
All those coups that never allowed one long term plan or vision to materialise did not help.

Gowon came with plan to move FCT to Abuja/Suleja, though he initially wanted Jos to be new FCT. But he feared he would be accused of favouring his place (Jos). The mild weather of Jos actually made it a better option. He also had plans for Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos. He worked on sea port that benefited Lagos. He began NYSC to foster national unity & introduced the Naira in place of Pounds. His no victor no vanquished stance after Biafra war was a moderate and re-conciliatory one.

But people remember the negative stuff more: cement ships/contract scandal, taking over missionary schools, indigenization decree that harmed foreign investment in non-oil sector, Udoji award that caused inflation, indefinite postponement of return to democracy instead of planned 1976, etc.

Whatever his failure, we have had 42 years since to get it right but have failed too.

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 5:28pm On Dec 18, 2017
ashjay001:

Tanx. Seems I'm learning a lot abt his era. Cant seem to find writings on his achievements, or lack of

Pls, can u confirm, if it was during his era, d groundnut pyramids dissappeared? Heard it was caused by d oil boom?! If truly he knew anything abt it, then, he failed woefully

AreaFada2:

Well we cannot blame any one person for disappearance of groundnut pyramids. Same as cocoa.

Many educated people in Ekiti, Ondo, Oyo and other places, their parents sponsored them to study abroad with cocoa money. We cannot expect UK trained lawyers, medics, economists and others to return and take over the cocoa farms. At least we Africans do not do things that way.

Failure to mechanise farming was the main cause. As a kid I saw vast rice fields and massive cocoa plantations. These plantations died out. Cocoa plants reach peak yield around 10 to 20 years depending on species. Ibadan became the envy of Africa through cocoa money. As more kids went to school and polygamy reduced, rural labour force reduced or became expensive.
All those coups that never allowed one long term plan or vision to materialise did not help.

Gowon came with plan to move FCT to Abuja/Suleja, though he initially wanted Jos to be new FCT. But he feared he would be accused of favouring his place (Jos). The mild weather of Jos actually made it a better option. He also had plans for Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos. He worked on sea port that benefited Lagos. He began NYSC to foster national unity & introduced the Naira in place of Pounds. His no victor no vanquished stance after Biafra war was a moderate and re-conciliatory one.

But people remember the negative stuff more: cement ships/contract scandal, taking over missionary schools, indigenization decree that harmed foreign investment in non-oil sector, Udoji award that caused inflation, indefinite postponement of return to democracy instead of planned 1976, etc.

Whatever his failure, we have had 42 years since to get it right but have failed too.

Exactly! The groundnut pyramids were the invention of Alhassan Dantata (Aliko Dangote's great grandfather).

He had a system in which he controlled most of the groundnut buyers (agents) and farmers in the north. They brought their groundnuts to designated centers were they were stacked into pyramids by Dantata's workers. Dantata was also a director in the railway corporation and long trains picked up the groundnuts from Dantata's facility in Kano and brought them down south to be exported. The trains returned to the north with kolanuts that Dantata had bought.

There was a time that he pointed to 60 groundnut pyramids in Kano and told a journalist, "These are all mine".

Dantata usually stored his groundnuts that were meant for domestic consumption until they were out of season, then he flooded the market with them and sold them at a cheaper price than his competitors.

The groundnut pyramids gradually disappeared after Alhassan Dantata's death. Aminu and Sanusi Dantata initially continued the business, but they eventually delved into other things, eg Mentolathum and Mercedes Benz.

Other (younger) members of the family invested in construction (Dantata and Sawoe), transport (Dantata Transport Services), telecommunications (Starcomms), cement (Dangote Cement), oil and gas (MRS), etc.

So you can see that they gradually invested more in other sectors than they did in the groundnut business

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by JERRYMAG4(m): 5:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
Keneking:
Gowon is better than Obasanjo and is greater than Tinubu

who is Tinubu in this equation?
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 18, 2017
JERRYMAG4:

who is Tinubu in this equation?

He is called Nigeria's Greatest Politician of all time.

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by ashjay001(m): 6:22pm On Dec 18, 2017
AreaFada2:

Those intermittent coups, never gave us a chance.sad
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by patwilly(m): 11:59pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ishilove:
Who says we aren't already married? smiley
How many husbands you get for this nairaland see? HungerBad nko?

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by MRSANITY(m): 12:45am On Dec 19, 2017
Ishilove:

Who says we aren't already married? smiley

married fire. Lol
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by ashjay001(m): 5:40pm On Dec 19, 2017
naptu2:

Exactly! The groundnut pyramids were the invention of Alhassan Dantata (Aliko Dangote's great grandfather).

He had a system in which he controlled most of the groundnut buyers (agents) and farmers in the north. They brought their groundnuts to designated centers were they were stacked into pyramids by Dantata's workers. Dantata was also a director in the railway corporation and long trains picked up the groundnuts from Dantata's facility in Kano and brought them down south to be exported. The trains returned to the north with kolanuts that Dantata had bought.

There was a time that he pointed to 60 groundnut pyramids in Kano and told a journalist, "These are all mine".

Dantata usually stored his groundnuts that were meant for domestic consumption until they were out of season, then he flooded the market with them and sold them at a cheaper price than his competitors.

The groundnut pyramids gradually disappeared after Alhassan Dantata's death. Aminu and Sanusi Dantata initially continued the business, but they eventually delved into other things, eg Mentolathum and Mercedes Benz.

Other (younger) members of the family invested in construction (Dantata and Sawoe), transport (Dantata Transport Services), telecommunications (Starcomms), cement (Dangote Cement), oil and gas (MRS), etc.

So you can see that they gradually invested more in other sectors than they did in the groundnut business

One of d reasons I like nl, u can actually learn something new. Vast meeting of minds, if u can actually have a meaning conversation n do away with all d bigotry n inter-tribal jousts!

To think, they divested from groundnuts! A shame really n a more progressive govt wouldnt have allowed it to tapper off. With d cost of groundnut oil n feeds in present day naija
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 6:31pm On Dec 19, 2017
ashjay001:

One of d reasons I like nl, u can actually learn something new. Vast meeting of minds, if u can actually have a meaning conversation n do away with all d bigotry n inter-tribal jousts!

To think, they divested from groundnuts! A shame really n a more progressive govt wouldnt have allowed it to tapper off. With d cost of groundnut oil n feeds in present day naija

You can read more about the Dantata/Dangote dynasty here https://www.nairaland.com/891985/dantata-dangote-story-how-create

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by delpee(f): 6:33pm On Dec 19, 2017
Yakubu Gowon did very well despite his young age then. He was a bachelor when he became Head of State at 29 years.

So much to learn from History yet some people chose to take it out of our schools. angry

It's obvious that most young people argue blindly due to ignorance. It's wise to read widely to learn from many perspectives. Sadly many young ones rely mostly on the stories as told by biased and bitter elders who are still focused on quarrels of decades past. I pray for a better detribalised future for the country restructured or not.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by mercy0008(f): 6:37pm On Dec 19, 2017
So I'm a resident in Ibadan for now and would love to visit some tourist attractions.
I heard about Erin Ijesha waterfall in Osun which is not sooooo far from Ibadan, such a trip will be boring alone.
Just need people who are resident in Ibadan and have an interest in local tourism, that are also interested in visiting Erin Ijesha to signify their interest. It could be a day trip or a one night trip.
It promises to be fun and pocket friendly since Ijesha i heard is not far away.
kindly send me a mail if interested so we can make plans and agree on a date
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by aventura: 4:01pm On Dec 22, 2017
naptu2:

You can read more about the Dantata/Dangote dynasty here https://www.nairaland.com/891985/dantata-dangote-story-how-create

Hello Grand Uncle Naptu2 grin, I came across this https://twitter.com/IlsaAida/status/939544066085261317 on twitter, and was wondering if by chance you've come across anything like what that security did?

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by chloride6: 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2017
seunmsg:
I have been looking for this picture since I read about it in Max Siollun's book, OIL POLITICS AND VIOLENCE. Murtala was so embarrassed that he immediately started paying Gowon's full pension and special stipend when he refused to end his program and return to Nigeria.

But Obasanjo stopped all those benefits and withdrew the use for the official residence in London after the dimka coup as he was supected of having a hand in it.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by aventura: 9:51am On Dec 23, 2017
naptu2:

Thanks Naptu2 for the answers. Another question I wanted to ask you but forgot is why do we always see the Nigerian president's ADC behind him at all times. I've seen pictures of foreign presidents and I notice you don't see the ADC like you do in NIgeria, why is that so?

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by wink2015(m): 11:54am On Apr 25, 2019
Nice share
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by seunmsg(m): 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2020
naptu2:

Gowon later had problems after the Dimka Coup. The Obasanjo government accused him of complicity in the coup, so they stripped him of his rank and stopped paying his pension. However Nigerians in the UK contributed money to take care of his upkeep.

Babangida restored his rank in 1987.

A UK parliamentarian today accused Gowon of moving half of CBN money to the UK. The video is trending on Twitter. So, how come he was so poor as a university student despite moving so much money to the UK?

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Dedetwo(m): 10:40pm On Nov 23, 2020
Jlow2:
re u tellin me that ojukwu had BSc decades before gowon?

MSc too!!!
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Carlyscales: 10:46pm On Nov 23, 2020
ashjay001:

What I wonder is; how come he served for so long, '66-'75, yet nothing memorable has been referred to during his reign? If he was this humble n visionary, during his reign, how come nigeria didnt take giant strides towards developmental progress?
The civil war duration was just spoiling his blues
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by patwilly(m): 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2020
Ishilove:
African leaders behave themselves when they're abroad but once they step into their home countries, they become tin gods

Naptu2's threads are always a refreshing breath of fresh air. kiss
Yeah your husband tongue
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 3:49am On Nov 24, 2020
seunmsg:

A UK parliamentarian today accused Gowon of moving half of CBN money to the UK. The video is trending on Twitter. So, how come he was so poor as a university student despite moving so much money to the UK?

Do you have actual proof that he moved the money in order to conclude that the parliamentarian was right, or are you just accepting the parliamentarian's word without any proof?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by naptu2: 4:03am On Nov 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Kai! I have just watched the video that you are referring to. That guy's statement is so ridiculous and I don't think any serious person would take it seriously.

He said, "We all remember when General Gowon took half the Central Bank, so it is said, and moved to London".

I would really like him to say that outside the chamber so that Gowon can sue him.

Did Gowon know that he was moving to London?

Gowon went to the OAU summit in Kampala when Joe Garba, Shehu Musa Yar'Adua and Abdullahi Mohammed overthrew him. He didn't take anything with him! It was Nigerians in the UK that launched a contribution to take care of him! My uncle was one of the people that contributed. How would he have known that he was not going to return to Nigeria??

How does this rumour (so it was said) that this ignorant man is peddling prove anything?

Again, why didn't the Murtala Regime (the anti-corruption regime that sacked and jailed many government officials for corruption) accuse him of looting half the Central Bank? Why didn't the Obasanjo Regime (that declared him wanted) accuse him of looting half the Central Bank?

You need to properly analyse anything that these people say. A lot of them like to set themselves up as experts on Nigeria, but most of them don't know what they are talking about. I have heard British people who said that Abacha was the head of state when the June 12 election was annulled, I have also heard British people that said that Babangida handed over to Abacha. Do not just accept or reject whatever they say just because they are British. Question and interrogate their statements!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by seunmsg(m): 5:20am On Nov 24, 2020
naptu2:

Kai! I have just watched the video that you are referring to. That guy's statement is so ridiculous and I don't think any serious person would take it seriously.

He said, "We all remember when General Gowon took half the Central Bank, so it is said, and moved to London".

I would really like him to say that outside the chamber so that Gowon can sue him.

Did Gowon know that he was moving to London?

Gowon went to the OAU summit in Kampala when Joe Garba, Shehu Musa Yar'Adua and Abdullahi Mohammed overthrew him. He didn't take anything with him! It was Nigerians in the UK that launched a contribution to take care of him! My uncle was one of the people that contributed. How would he have known that he was not going to return to Nigeria??

How does this rumour (so it was said) that this ignorant man is peddling prove anything?

Again, why didn't the Murtala Regime (the anti-corruption regime that sacked and jailed many government officials for corruption) accuse him of looting half the Central Bank? Why didn't the Obasanjo Regime (that declared him wanted) accuse him of looting half the Central Bank?

You need to properly analyse anything that these people say. A lot of them like to set themselves up as experts on Nigeria, but most of them don't know what they are talking about. I have heard British people who said that Abacha was the head of state when the June 13 election was annuled, I have also heard British people that said that Babangida handed over to Abacha. Do not just accept or reject whatever they say just because they are British. Question and interrogate their statements!

Thanks sir. I know I can rely on you to get a more accurate account of what really happened.

When I saw the video circulating on Twitter, I was a bit confused based on what I have read on this thread and in Max Siollin’s book. I couldn’t reconcile how someone that moved half of CBN to London had to go about queuing for food in university cafeteria. Sadly, Twitter people did not bother to verify. They are already dragging Gowon all over the place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 24, 2020
Ishilove:
African leaders behave themselves when they're abroad but once they step into their home countries, they become tin gods

Naptu2's threads are always a refreshing breath of fresh air. kiss
Real talk.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by azpekuliar: 7:18am On Nov 24, 2020
While other countries set about using their oil wealth to transform themselves into Dubai etc This slowpoke said Nigeria was making so much money that the country didn’t know what to so with it. One of the most unfortunate comments to come from an African leader.
Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 24, 2020
azpekuliar:
While other countries were using their oil wealth to transform themselves into Dubai etc This slowpoke said Nigeria was making so much money that the country didn’t know what to so with it. One of the most unfortunate comments to come from an African leader.

Re: Yakubu Gowon As An Undergraduate At University Of Warwick (Throwback Pictures) by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Buhari also fooled Nigerians he was poor, but contested for Presidency 4 times. And it costs billions of naira to run a successful presidential campaign.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tosin Bukola Saraki Set To Wed (Photo) / LG Autonomy: Supreme Court decision, an assault on true federalism - James Ibori / General Olukolade And Oby Ezekwesili Vent Anger On Each Other Over BIU Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.