Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

President Buhari At 75: A Profound Tribute By Prof David Oluwatoba Alabi (NDA) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari At 75: A Profound Tribute By Prof David Oluwatoba Alabi (NDA) (330 Views)

I Saw In A Revelation That Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Rewarded This Year - Prof. David / Imo Youths Celebrate Buhari At 75 / Dogara Congratulates President Buhari At 75 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari At 75: A Profound Tribute By Prof David Oluwatoba Alabi (NDA) by smilek(m): 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
In the past two and a half years, I have been so critical of the Buhani government and its policies. On several occasions, I had blasted it on the handling of the economy, the herdsmen's Killings, the issue of IPOB, the selective anti-corruption fight and his many unnecessary and meaningless foreign travels. In all my criticisms of his government and its policies, not once have I criticised his person and his family on moral and ethical grounds. And I make bold to say that of the Nigerian politicians today, Muhammadu Buhari commands my highest respect. I taught his wife, Aisha, for two semesters during her master's degree programme and she is one the most simple and unassuming ladies I have ever met. I did not know she was General Buhari's wife until one of her course mates informed me about it. Even when I had to confront her with the information, what she simply told me was that she did not have to flaunt it every where that she was the General's wife. That is how humble and simple the wife of the President is. My best wishes to the first family.
So when I blast the APC and the Buhari government, I am only performing my sacred duty as a political scientist. Those who think scholarship and academia should be subsumed in sectionalism, party affiliations, premordialism and sectionalism, are with due respect, no scholars but sheer propagandists, time servers, bootlickers and elite lackeys who have no business in the rigorous realm of scholarship and academia.
President Buhari is 75. Tributes and accolades have been coming in torrents. Without any doubt. thre President deserves to be celebrated in view of his immense contributions to the nation. He enlisted in the Nigeria's Armed Forces, fought the civil war and helped to keep Nigeria a united country. In 1984 he betame a military Head of State and governed for twenty months before he was toppled in a military coup.
As a military leader, one thing that stood him out was his fight against corruption. In this fight many corrupt politicians were sentenced to long jail terms. He made frantic efforts to pay off Nigeria's debts. His counter trade policy was intended to make to make Nigeria a truly developed economy.
In addition to these, he tried to rid Nigeria of the menace of drugs. He sentenced drug traffickers to death. Irrespective of the criticisms of his approach, his intentions as a military Head of State were noble. He envisioned a Nigeria where things would work and probity would be a way of life. Even though his tenure as the PTF Chairman has been criticised and some allegation of corrupt practices raised against him, threy have not been proven.
In his presidential bid, he made three attempts to become president. At the fourth attempt he won and became elected as a civilian President in 2015. One thing that stood him out is his commitment and singleness of purpose.
What are the outstanding attributes of President Buhari? I can think of three. The first is his patriotism. The second is his incorruptibility. The third is his doggedness and steadfastness.
AS a patriot, he fought to keep Nigeria a united country. He was ready to lay down his life for Nigeria. He loved Nigeria. As a Head of State, he left behind an enviable lessly of integrity and probity in public service.
Buhari is incorruptible. The easiest means of making big money in Nigeria is through government appointment. For the 20 months that Buhari was Head of State, he could afford to steal a billion Naira and nothing would have happened . But he chose the path of patriotism and probity. Till date his type is still very rare in this corruption ridden Nigeria. Even in his current assignment as President, no personal allegations of corruption have been levelled against him. There might be many rotten individuals milling around him but as of today I can't think of any corrupt practices preferred against him.
With respect to his doggedness and determination of purpose, his unflinching resolve to pursue his presidential ambition to its logical conclusion draws applause and huge commendation in political circles. This should sends a clear and unambiguous message to millions of Nigerian youths who are often deluded into believing that success comes easy. Muhammadu Buhari is a determined person.
I join millions of my fellow citizens in wishing the President a happy birthday celebration.
Happy birthday your Excellency.

(1) (Reply)

The Self-destruction Of Buhari’s Presidency By Erasmus Ikhide / Say No To The Withrawal Of #365b From The Eca / Why I Will Never Accept Being A Nigerian – Ralph Uwazuruike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.