Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance (1635 Views)

Bill Gates Asked Kemi Why She Had To Increase Tax And Tarrif On Malaria Drugs / Has The Buhari Administration Fulfilled Any Of These Campaign Promises? (Picture / Abdulmumin Jibrin: "Is This The Buhari We Know? Noooooo Something Is Wrong! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 8:31am On Dec 22, 2017
As far back as 2005 the WHO,later Federal ministry of Health[b] mandated that only the Artemisin Based Combination Therapies,ACTs,should be prescribed for the treatment of malaria.
http://www-proshare.com/news/General/Fed-Govt-bans-chloroquine-for-malaria-treatment
Nigerians could afford the cost and many government and private hospitals keyed into the policy because up to 2010 and thereabouts the wholesale price of the unbranded ACTs(coartem,Lonart,Combisunate,Waipa family) was just about 50naira and even threatening to drop further because lots of Indian and Chinese companies were manufacturing and exporting these drugs.
Private Hospitals in Nigeria could also afford to regularly prescribe these to their HMO patients,majority of who were on a ridiculous 250-500/month capitation fees!
Up to just before Buhari came to power in 2015,the price was still at about 70naira wholesale with retail prices peaking at between 150-200naira.
Fast forward just a year into his government,due to foreign exchange scarcity,the prices started rising,from 200-300naira,wholesale,350-400 retail.
As if that was not alarming enough,late last year,precisely October 2016,the Buhari government unbelievably and satanically caused a 20% tax hike in antimalarials and antibiotics.
http://qz.com/877766/nigeria-is-raising-tariffs-on-malaria-drugs-and-antibiotics
Now the wholesale price of unbranded ACTs is about 350-400 and retail prices at an alarming 500-600naira.

2 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by luvinhubby(m): 8:34am On Dec 22, 2017
Very sad that anti malaria like Coartem that was sold for between N500 - N700 before now is now being sold for between N1,400 - N1,800.

Buhari has ruined this country.

Lalasticlala, where should i send your Christmas hamper to? cheesy

6 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by dukie25: 8:39am On Dec 22, 2017
Up to just before Buhari came to power in 2015,the price was still at about 70naira wholesale with retail prices peaking at between 150-200naira.
Fast forward just a year into his government,due to foreign exchange scarcity,the prices started rising,from 200-300naira,wholesale,350-400 retail.
As if that was not alarming enough,late last year,precisely October 2016,the Buhari government unbelievably and satanically caused a 20% tax hike in antimalarials and antibiotics.
Not since the Shehu Shagari shambolic govt of the 80s have we seen a govt so bereft of ideas it boggles the mind.

1 Like

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by Ehiscotch(m): 8:42am On Dec 22, 2017
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by dukie25: 8:45am On Dec 22, 2017
Ehiscotch:
http://punchng.com/fg-denies-tariff-hike-antimalarial-drugs/

Don't really know how true this is.
If no tariff hike what then is the reason for the astronomical rise?

1 Like

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by denice1: 8:46am On Dec 22, 2017
Ehiscotch:

And why is there a over 100% increase in their price.

Do not trust the lies of this present government.

1 Like

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 8:48am On Dec 22, 2017
The reversal to chroroquine,Fansidar(Amalar,Laridox)
Now many private hospitals with HMO patients are reverting to prescribing the forbidden Choroquine,and preventive,rather than curative Fansidar group!
For fee paying patients,they have found a drastic rise in bills issued to them in order to make up for the astronomical increase in the cost of ACTs.
What we now have on our hands is clearly increase in the number of deaths due to malaria due to people not being able to afford the cost of the drugs and taking cheaper,but ineffective ones.
For those back to Chloroquine,the danger is drug resistance,which was the original reason the ACTs were introduced and CQ frowned upon.
What we will now have is increased deaths and the resurgence of highly resistant strains of the Plasmodium causing malaria parasite.
People probably because we are not data friendly in Nigeria are not alarmed at the alarming effect of this Buhari government ill-adviced,ill-thoughtout,foolish and satanic policy is doing and will do to health and lives of Nigerians.
Even if local manufacturers are to produce the drug,at a cost of 500naira,many people cannot afford it and definitely many hospitals cannot afford to prescribe it,less they shut down their hospitals.
I will end by using a local song to ask:"na like this we go de dey?"

4 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by Ehiscotch(m): 8:49am On Dec 22, 2017
dukie25:

If no tariff hike what then is the reason for the astronomical rise?
Inflation too contributes to a major increase in its price.

Remember most of the drugs are imported and its price directly proportional to an the strength of the naira.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 8:52am On Dec 22, 2017
Ehiscotch:

It was just a clever way to play with words.
There was no tariff hike per se,but an increase in the tax or duties paid on not just the antimalarials,but also antibiotics.
At the end,someone,the consumer had to bear the brunt of the additional cost of importing these drugs.

4 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 9:04am On Dec 22, 2017
Lalasticlala,mynd44,please I have not done this before,but can this be moved to FP,with the hope the government will become aware and do something.
Many people are dying,but most dangerously for the future,hospitals are reverting to cheaper non ACTs like Chloroquine and this will fuel drug resistance.
Pls lala
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by luvinhubby(m): 9:09am On Dec 22, 2017
Ehiscotch:

Inflation too contributes to a major increase in its price.

Remember most of the drugs are imported and its price directly proportional to an the strength of the naira.

It is not an inflation thing as inflation can not cause over 100 per cent increase in the price of drug that should be subsidised considering how endemic malaria is in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 9:10am On Dec 22, 2017
luvinhubby:
Very sad that anti malaria like Coartem that was sold for between N500 - N700 before now is now being sold for between N1,400 - N1,800.

Buhari has ruined this country.
Mogbe!
I knew branded ACTs will be higher than the 500-600 I quoted for the unbrandeds,but N1400-1800!!
When you consider some people treat malaria 3-5 times a yr,that's about N7000-N10000 just for treating malaria every year!!!
This is a health emergency,and the government is strictly responsible.

3 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by luvinhubby(m): 9:12am On Dec 22, 2017
doctokwus:

Mogbe!
I knew branded ACTs will be higher than the 500-600 I quoted for the unbrandeds,but N1400-1800!!
When you consider some people treat malaria 3-5 times a yr,that's about N7000-N10000 just for treating malaria every year!!!
This is a health emergency,and the government is strictly responsible.

I bought Coartem N1,800 two days ago for my wife.

1 Like

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 9:18am On Dec 22, 2017
luvinhubby:

I bought Coartem N1,800 two days ago for my wife.
How many people can afford that when even feeding these days for millions of Nigerians,no thanks to Buhari,is difficult,particularly in Nigeria where people think one must eat before taking any drug.

2 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by enlady(f): 9:23am On Dec 22, 2017
As i stated on an earlier post by OP this is eye opening. I dont know what to make of the deceit and wickedness this regime is inflicting on us. Unfortunately it seems Nigerians are under a spell, suffering and smiling. How can medical essentials like antimalarials and antibiotics skyrocket due to increased tax and someone is declaring N1 trillion as revenue from customs? increased revenue at the expense of the health of the masses. This is not a progressive government!

Good one OP

3 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by freeze001(f): 9:25am On Dec 22, 2017
doctokwus:
The reversal to chroroquine,Fansidar(Amalar,Laridox)
Now many private hospitals with HMO patients are reverting to prescribing the forbidden Choroquine,and preventive,rather than curative Fansidar group!
For fee paying patients,they have found a drastic rise in bills issued to them in order to make up for the astronomical increase in the cost of ACTs.
What we now have on our hands is clearly increase in the number of deaths due to malaria due to people not being able to afford the cost of the drugs and taking cheaper,but ineffective ones.
For those back to Chloroquine,the danger is drug resistance,which was the original reason the ACTs were introduced and CQ frowned upon.
What we will now have is increased deaths and the resurgence of highly resistant strains of the Plasmodium causing malaria parasite.
People probably because we are not data friendly in Nigeria are not alarmed at the alarming effect of this Buhari government ill-adviced,ill-thoughtout,foolish and satanic policy is doing and will do to health and lives of Nigerians.
Even if local manufacturers are to produce the drug,at a cost of 500naira,many people cannot afford it and definitely many hospitals cannot afford to prescribe it,less they shut down their hospitals.
I will end by using a local song to ask:"na like this we go de dey?"

When u support and campaign for a stark illiterate, that's what u get. It's not just about fighting corruption which itself has turned out to be a complete flop and avenue for parochial bigotry and nepotism.

2 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by enlady(f): 9:52am On Dec 22, 2017
For the doubting Thomases, attached is the circular from the minister of finance on import adjustment tax list. 20% duty on antibiotics and antimalarial is stated on the table on page 2. These essentials were tariff free before Buhari's administration

http://www.finance.gov.ng/images/docs/2016FPM.pdf

3 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 10:00am On Dec 22, 2017
freeze001:

When u support and campaign for a stark illiterate, that's what u get. It's not just about fighting corruption which itself has turned out to be a complete flop and avenue for parochial bigotry and nepotism.
Its a painful reality I just have to live with.
Some of you people don't understand my pain and boiled up anger at having seemingly been utterly deceived about who and what Buhari stands for.
But this topic is about the unreported clear and present danger the astronomical and now becoming increasingly unaffordable increase in price of the common antimalarials is having on lives of Nigerians.
I know this first hand and only trying to bring it to the front burner.
Even WHO would be alarmed if they were to conduct a study on present prescriptions and costs in Nigerian hospitals.
Patients are helplessly being prescribed termed "ineffective" and plasmodium parasite resistant drugs,just so that hospitals can make ends meet.
One way that may have helped to ameliorate the danger is if HMOs agreed to increase the capitation they pay and also jerk up prices in the price guide they send to Hospitals.
But the HMOs too are crying because the inflation has made it difficult for some companies to pay them.So asides paying Hospitals peanuts,some HMOs are even owing Hospitals the peanuts they pay!All thanks to the inflation brought about by the same man.
Its a vicious cycle with the Nigerian being the loser because we live in an endemic malaria zone,with 60-70% of primary care cases seen being due to malaria and significant proportion of secondary and tertiary arising from complications of same malaria!!
I have a duty to bring this to the front burner of discourse.

2 Likes

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 10:04am On Dec 22, 2017
enlady:
For the doubting Thomases, attached is the circular from the minister of finance on import adjustment tax list. 20% duty on antibiotics and antimalarial is stated on the table on page 2. These essentials were tariff free before Buhari's administration

http://www.finance.gov.ng/images/docs/2016FPM.pdf
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by Ehiscotch(m): 10:44am On Dec 22, 2017
luvinhubby:

It is not an inflation thing as inflation can not cause over 100 per cent increase in the price of drug that should be subsidised considering how endemic malaria is in Nigeria.

Go and do your homework.

There are so many other products whose prices have increased more than a 100% due to the exchange rate.
Google inflation and understand what it is.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by frankyychiji(f): 10:59am On Dec 22, 2017
Was tariffs increased to rake in more money for government or to discourage importation to encourage local production?

Any which way, this government has failed!

Are we producing the drugs yet? I mean good quality drugs that can stand the test and not some packaged colored ineffective powder they stamp made in Nigeria on.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 11:05am On Dec 22, 2017
frankyychiji:
Was tariffs increased to rake in more money for government or to discourage importation to encourage local production?

Any which way, this government has failed!

Are we producing the drugs yet? I mean good quality drugs that can stand the test and not some packaged colored ineffective powder they stamp made in Nigeria on.

Good question.
Its like opening vaccines up to market forces to determine their prices.Who does that!
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by frankyychiji(f): 11:21am On Dec 22, 2017
doctokwus:

Good question.
Its like opening vaccines up to market forces to determine their prices.Who does that!
The policies this government made hastily without due diligence just to be seen as working is hurting the masses badly starting from the hasty full swipe on the TSA and sundry financial policies.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by Feraz(m): 9:39am On Dec 26, 2017
doctokwus:
As far back as 2005 the WHO,later Federal ministry of Health[b] mandated that only the Artemisin Based Combination Therapies,ACTs,should be prescribed for the treatment of malaria.
http://www-proshare.com/news/General/Fed-Govt-bans-chloroquine-for-malaria-treatment
Nigerians could afford the cost and many government and private hospitals keyed into the policy because up to 2010 and thereabouts the wholesale price of the unbranded ACTs(coartem,Lonart,Combisunate,Waipa family) was just about 50naira and even threatening to drop further because lots of Indian and Chinese companies were manufacturing and exporting these drugs.
Private Hospitals in Nigeria could also afford to regularly prescribe these to their HMO patients,majority of who were on a ridiculous 250-500/month capitation fees!
http://qz.com/877766/nigeria-is-raising-tariffs-on-malaria-drugs-and-antibiotics
Now the wholesale price of unbranded ACTs is about 350-400 and retail prices at an alarming 500-600naira.
This is disturbing!
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 10:26am On Dec 26, 2017
Feraz:
This is disturbing!
Disturbing is an understatement.
Its only when you are in the field you would truly understand the gravity of what is stirring us in the face.
I thought I was doing a public health duty by begging the moderators to take this to FP so that those in authority or those that can get to those in authority would see this topic,become aware and start to find a way out.
But it seems I just wasted my effort and nland FP has unique requirements.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by Feraz(m): 11:10am On Dec 26, 2017
doctokwus:

Disturbing is an understatement.
Its only when you are in the field you would truly understand the gravity of what is stirring us in the face.
I thought I was doing a public health duty by begging the moderators to take this to FP so that those in authority or those that can get to those in authority would see this topic,become aware and start to find a way out.
But it seems I just wasted my effort and nland FP has unique requirements.
Honestly, I do not know what to say. I was having an argument with someone on FB over the way he was always excusing PMB from what other presidents have taken blame for and the next thing he said was "I hate the president and his party".

I am thinking of the increase in malaria related deaths in Nigeria. Wait oh! How come many Nigerians do not know of this? This is seriously disturbing!

luvinhubby:
I was wondering why too.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by doctokwus: 12:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
Feraz:

Wait oh! How come many Nigerians do not know of this? This is seriously disturbing!

Its quite simple.
(1)No reliable health statistics if any at all.
(2)Malaria does not kill suddenly.You become sick,weak and start deteriorating and most often because they cannot afford healthcare or see no improvement after some visits(because inappropriate drugs were used),the victim stays at home and goes down the drain.
Most frightening for the future is the added risk of renewed drug resistance:if non ACTs progressively come back into the mainstay of treatment,in years to come,if government reverses its tariff hike,the then represcribed ACTs may become ineffective!
What then do people get treated with?
The injections(Artemether,Quinine) are supposed to be for severe or termed complicated malaria and are themselves originally costlier,aside requiring inhospital treatment,so are a no no due to same high cost of treatment issue and not being appropriate for "simple" malarias.
We are heading onwards a speeding train,far as malaria is concerned,but no one is seeing it,no thanks to this incompetent ruler!!
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by AZeD1(m): 12:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
They are companies that produce anti malaria drugs in Nigeria.
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by SalamRushdie: 12:52pm On Dec 26, 2017
Buharis poor anti malarial policy passes as the daftest thing his very daft govt has done..Just onne unbiased look at the policy you will realise the man doesnt mean well for Nigerians
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by fitzmayowa: 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
doctokwus:

Its quite simple.
(1)No reliable health statistics if any at all.
(2)Malaria does not kill suddenly.You become sick,weak and start deteriorating and most often because they cannot afford healthcare or see no improvement after some visits(because inappropriate drugs were used),the victim stays at home and goes down the drain.
Most frightening for the future is the added risk of renewed drug resistance:if non ACTs progressively come back into the mainstay of treatment,in years to come,if government reverses its tariff hike,the then represcribed ACTs may become ineffective!
What then do people get treated with?
The injections(Artemether,Quinine) are supposed to be for severe or termed complicated malaria and are themselves originally costlier,aside requiring inhospital treatment,so are a no no due to same high cost of treatment issue and not being appropriate for "simple" malarias.
We are heading onwards a speeding train,far as malaria is concerned,but no one is seeing it,no thanks to this incompetent ruler!!

Someone was said PMB makes failure look easy and interesting, funny as it sounds you just have to agree...

I quoted you once on this same issue and it's sickening to say the least....

The matter just weak me I swear...
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by lagbaja(m): 1:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
Lalasticala, mynd44. Front page please. Very urgent. R
Re: The Buhari Govt Hike On Malaria Drugs,dangers Of Deaths& Drug Resistance by jamesibor: 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Buharis poor anti malarial policy passes as the daftest thing his very daft govt has done..Just onne unbiased look at the policy you will realise the man doesnt mean well for Nigerians

Op was one of the people that foisted Buhari on us. He has no moral ground to complain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019: Asiwaju Tinubu Cannot Do Magic Because … -timi Frank / I Refuse To Pray For Leah. Why Are Southerners So Gullible And Weak? Kai! / ”only Someone From The ‘moon Can Defeat PMB In 2019” – Governor Masari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.