Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,790 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League (6784 Views)

Anambra Scores Highest In NECO Exams. Records Almost 80% In 2015 Exams. / Lack Of Textbooks Causes Mass Failure In Neco Exams -ubeb Official / Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by evil666(m): 1:04am On Apr 04, 2010
As the nation continues to  look  for solution to the problem of mass failure of candidates in public examinations, the Emir of Minna in Niger State, Dr Umar Farouq Bahago, has blamed the trend on addiction of Nigerian youth on the English premier league and other football leagues around the world.

Dr Bahago’s observation came as the Niger State government ruled that it would no longer sponsor candidates that fail its mock examination for the West African Examination Council and the National Examination Council.

The monarch noted the attachment of students to the European league at the expense of their studies, adding that those not involved were either concentrating on hip hop music or other unnecessary things.

The Emir, who spoke at the Annual General Meeting of the Minna Emirate Education Foundation, also blamed parents for their failure to monitor the educational pursuits of their children, saying that things of the world had taken over the attention of parents.

He said that for the education sector of the country to be revived, all stakeholders must rise to check the current downward trend, warning that if this is not done, the future of the country could be in jeopardy.

Niger State Governor, Dr Muazu Aliyu, who had persistently expressed his concern over the poor performance of candidates in public examinations,  reeled out series of policies that the government had put in place to correct the downward trend.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by edoyad(m): 1:21am On Apr 04, 2010
What is Emir of Minna FFS ? I know of Etsu Nupe but no emir.
BTW I served in minna and my girl friend taught at one of the best govt schools there, Day secondary School Maitumbi. She and her friends told me many of the teachers there would not pass GCE, so how is it possible that the students from there too would be able to pass ? The school is just a few meters from Maryam Babangida's private school where it was said the teachers were being paid by the state govt. though the school fees for her school were over a hundred k. Hope she's enjoying the money they made from that fraud.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by evil666(m): 1:35am On Apr 04, 2010
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by jamace(m): 2:35am On Apr 04, 2010
grin grin grin This postulation is funny. However, there seem to be some elements of truth in it. UP ARSENAL!!! grin grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by sojjy: 5:24am On Apr 04, 2010
This might look funny but there are some iota of truth from what the Emir postulated.Parents need to help their wards in performing beta in an examination.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by RichDad1(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2010
Perhaps govt. should ban screnning of EPL and other football leagues in Nigeria abi ?when a man fails to put his in order what happens?id1ots
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Beaf: 8:53am On Apr 04, 2010
The dude got it wrong about Neco failures. That said, there is nothing more annoying than switching to AIT and BANG!!!. . . Those fools are there talking about Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal as if Nigeria is in the UK or somewhere else in Europe. angry

The FG should ban such daft TV programmes. angry angry angry angry
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by evil666(m): 11:45am On Apr 04, 2010
Watching football is not peculiar to only Nigeria, all over europe, asia, other african countries, america, it has become popular. Especially America, their college students partake in so many other sports like basketball, hockey, and the popular rugby. These ppl still do well acadamically. Even in most junior world cup events, most of the players of these nations are college students, and i have not heard such funny news like this. All schools organise sports activities and it is been encouraged.

In universities, almost everyone is a fan of a particular football teams and dont miss matches, European champions league match is never missed.
Maybe you should just walk into a hostel common room during a live premiership match between 2 big teams or during a champions league then you will see the addiction.

Many of these students are still scholars acadamically. It is just a matter of discipline. Watching football will not in any way affect your acadamic performance if you discipline your self. Infact there are so many social activities, even more time consuming that ppl engage in apart from football, and they are still doing very well.

So this is a universal thing and only nigeria should not just take its stand.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2010
The Emir has a point.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by 18platoon(m): 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2010
@edoyad, why is it that you cannot contribute logically on any thread without insults, anyway you're a northerner like or not, and a second class northerner at that, so if YOUR LIFE SUCKS, THEN YOU DIE NIGGA. shege alade.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 04, 2010
edoyad:

What is Emir of Minna FFS ? I know of Etsu Nupe but no emir.
BTW I served in minna and my girl friend taught at one of the best govt schools there, Day secondary School Maitumbi. She and her friends told me many of the teachers there would not pass GCE, so how is it possible that the students from there too would be able to pass ? The school is just a few meters from  Maryam Babangida's private school where it was said the teachers were being paid by the state govt.  though the school fees for her school were over a hundred k. Hope she's enjoying the money they made from that fraud.

A bad workman blames his tools. grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by edoyad(m): 1:09pm On Apr 04, 2010
frosbel:

A bad workman blames his tools. grin

Trust our country na. Tomorrow senate will ban Big brother Africa while most of the sickos have JAMBito girl friends. Which is more destructive ?

Beaf:

The dude got it wrong about Neco failures. That said, there is nothing more annoying than switching to AIT and BANG!!!. . . Those fools are there talking about Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal as if Nigeria is in the UK or somewhere else in Europe. angry

The FG should ban such daft TV programmes. angry angry angry angry

This is where our enmity begins grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by presido1: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2010
18 platoon:

@edoyad, why is it that you cannot contribute logically on any thread without insults, anyway you're a northerner like or not, and a second class northerner at that, so if YOUR LIFE SUCKS, THEN YOU DIE NIGGA. shege alade.
CLASSIC. If he is second class Northerner then he must be a 4th class Nigerian.

This mass failure was it only with NECO or is WAEC included?. Yahoo yahoo, EPL,La liga, Seria A, Nollywood, Musicals all contributed. The problem is we don't know our limit and when to stop.

If the failure is with WAEC and Neco it means less jamb application and less intake in the Universities next academic session.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by darqly(m): 1:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
Yeah well if this reasoning can hold water, then the EPL can be held responsible for the backwardness of the entire north! I served in Madobi loc govt area in Kano- they still use coins there,some people walk BAREFOOT there,some had never been past Panshekara bustop and many Will NEVER travel out of kano itself. BUT there was a viewing centre and one riffraff i encountered was reeling off BENFICA's champions league history like it was the Koran! I was shocked to say the least, the boy doesn't speak one jot of english.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by CrudeOil2(m): 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2010
Nigeria Is Getting Exceedingly Redundant, Boring and Stale.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by redsun(m): 1:46pm On Apr 04, 2010
Indoctrinations and inferiority complex destroys the soul.Africans in general are suffering from the evil sprit of slave and colonial mentality in all spheres of life
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ElRazur: 1:55pm On Apr 04, 2010
So it is not because of the appalling levels of education system and failure on a whole social-political and what not levels?

I wonder if the Emir have any formal education and if so, I wonder what his results were. It will be interesting to now.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by bibiking1(m): 2:18pm On Apr 04, 2010
ziddy:

The Emir has a point.

oh shoot it! I bet the English kids are also doing poorly at their certification exams huh? We always seek excuses for our shortcomings!
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by redsun(m): 2:38pm On Apr 04, 2010
Expecting something good to come out of nigeria in that situation and state of mind of the nation is like expecting a slice of butter to remian solid on a hot and steaming pan,impoossible,init?

Life is chainly connected,when one chain in a line of chain is weak or broken,the rest are inevitably affected.We are missing the fundamental rythms of life,we fail to understand what makes us human beings hence the confusions.Our natural intuitions are more or less dead and without intuitions and instincts making sense of the world around us is virtually impossible hence our robotic state.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ReachRich(m): 2:53pm On Apr 04, 2010
It all depends on the individual.A good student who knows what he or she is doing will not watch telly when he or she should be reading.There is tim to play and time to work.But what is happening now is that our students who are mostly in the secondary schools dont want to bend down and study.They guys prefer runnung after girls,joining cult groups,playing video games,smoking and drinking when they should be reading.The girs prefer watching Africa Magic and Nollywood channels.Our parents are not helping matters.They prefer sending their wards to Special Centers for the GCE and WAEC exams where answers to exam questions are written on the board for the students during examinations.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ElRazur: 3:16pm On Apr 04, 2010
ReachRich:

It all depends on the individual.A good student who knows what he or she is doing will not watch telly when he or she should be reading.There is tim to play and time to work.But what is happening now is that our students who are mostly in the secondary schools dont want to bend down and study.They guys prefer runnung after girls,joining cult groups,playing video games,smoking and drinking when they should be reading.The girs prefer watching Africa Magic and Nollywood channels.Our parents are not helping matters.They prefer sending their wards to Special Centers for the GCE and WAEC exams where answers to exam questions are written on the board for the students during examinations.

Oh please give those of us who are intelligent a break. grin

I watched TV when I was supposed to be reading.

I chased after ladies when I should have used the time in focusing on my study

While I was never in a cult, I hanged with the "Gang of Friends" etc and look at me now. cool

My point? Regardless of what, those who will pass will do so. smiley
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 3:36pm On Apr 04, 2010
ElRazur:

While I was never in a cult, I hanged with the "Gang of Friends" etc and look at me now. cool

How are we sure what you turned out to be?
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ElRazur: 3:39pm On Apr 04, 2010
hardywaltz:

How are we sure what you turned out to be?

Those who have met me on here can say a few things to that sir. smiley
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 3:59pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ ElRazur, if you say so.
PS: I was just joking.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 4:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
I concur with the Emir, however the bulk of the blame should be heaped at the door steps of Parents. While growing up video games (Sega, Super Nes etc) almost derailed me but for the ever watchful eyes of my Mother.
Today we have the EPL, Laliga, Seria A, Facebook GSM, Blackberry, Twitter, Nollywood, AfricanMagic, internet etc. as distractions, Parents (career mothers) now leave their children to house helps and lesson teachers.
My friend's youger brother who is in SS1, cried his heart out and has not uttered a word since yesterday's defeat by Manchester to Chelsea, he can practically tell you everything about EPL since 1876 or thereabout, his execesize book is practically filled with Manchester past and present. and adds Rooney to his name in school.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ElRazur: 4:59pm On Apr 04, 2010
hardywaltz:

I concur with the Emir, however the bulk of the blame should be heaped at the door steps of Parents. While growing up video games (Sega, Super Nes etc) almost derailed me but for the ever watchful eyes of my Mother.
Today we have the EPL, Laliga, Seria A, Facebook GSM, Blackberry, Twitter, Nollywood, AfricanMagic, internet etc. as distractions, Parents (career mothers) now leave their children to house helps and lesson teachers.
My friend's youger brother who is in SS1, cried his heart out and has not uttered a word since yesterday's defeat by Manchester to Chelsea, he can practically tell you everything about EPL since 1876 or thereabout, his execesize book is practically filled with Manchester past and present. and adds Rooney to his name in school.

You cannot blame the parents. Jeez. Ever since the time of man, there have always been distraction.

The bigger problem in my opinion is the Education system and the marking scheme. There isn't a unified or proper marking system.

I played Computer games growing up in Naija and heck, my first salary when I did my first job in the UK was to buy a playstation one and even now I buy more toys and gadget than ever, it really do not stop me from doing my set goals.

Keeping kids away from saying playing games can be counter-productive. Computer games have been shown to increase concentration and boost manual dexterity.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by Sunofgod(m): 5:08pm On Apr 04, 2010
He should be blaming the referee's and linesmen only

Not the whole League.

Some of their illogical decisions are messing up our students sense of reasoning.

grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by DeepSoul(f): 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2010
Why do we like mixing up issues??

Who in his right thinking mind would blame the EPL for mass failure? Like someone rightly said, some of the so-called teachers in secondary school aren't even qualified to be teachers. Especially in Northern Nigeria (which has the highest failure rate by the way!). These teachers need to be trained and tested before being given the license to wreck the lives of future leaders!

It's high time we concentrate on increasing the quality of education in Nigeria rather than blaming it on EPL! Please!
I have a younger brother who wrote WAEC last yr, did well and is getting into the University soon! Meanwhile, u dare not try him with football or Rap music. He'll school to you to end! He knows the lyrics to all the rap songs u can think of!

My younger sister is gonna write WAEC in a couple of months and she's forever in front of the television. They play video games till wee hours of the morning (I dont support it bdw). Yet they remain exceptionally sharp. Definitely not average!

Growing up, I dont remember ever reading my book so vigourously, yet look at me  grin

There was no Blackberry, Dstv, Facebook, Nairaland nor addiction to Manchester United, yet I found a way to use up most of my spare time reading Mills & Boon  grin

I'm not trying to understate the importance of studying here, just saying there'll always be smthn to distract regardless of what "era" you grew up in! And besides, I went thru very very good schools (except d yeye Nigerian University I went to). Even the so-called "less than average" students in my school were above avergae when compared with kids from Government schools.

My point is, quality education is key!
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by DeepSoul(f): 5:13pm On Apr 04, 2010
Sun of god:

He should be blaming the referee's and linesmen only

Not the whole League.

Some of their illogical decisions are messing up our srudents sense of reasoning.

grin

Gbam grin

Like the nonsensical offside goal they let Drogba get away with ystday. It is enuf to mess up any1's brain grin
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by ReachRich(m): 6:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
ElRazur:

U were able to pass in school because u still had time to study after playing afterrall all work and no play ,
I am not against playing by todays students but all am saying is that in the midst of everything,a good student still makes out time to read.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by superboi(m): 7:06pm On Apr 04, 2010
Na wa 4 mr emir,the reason for these failures are the elites and the system they put in place.most people who are 'role models' seem to have made it by chance.in the village school i served in 2007/2008 i saw student who thot that education was a waste of time the example they gave me was their teachers and local politician who were thugs and were now rich.
Re: Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League by hardywaltz(m): 7:07pm On Apr 04, 2010
Well the truth is that a holistic solution is required to reduced the decline in the education sector, one cant exactly pinpoint what the root cause(s) are, Maybe Nairalanders can proffer solutions after all the criticisms.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Triplets Delivered In Anambra Flood Camp / The History Of Arabic On Nigerian Army Logo / Owo Attack: Fayemi Commiserates With Akeredolu, Monarch, Catholic Bishop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.