Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,780 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Atiku Indicted - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Indicted (9334 Views)

Tinubu And Atiku In Closed-Door Meeting Over Buhari’s Victory / Atiku, Kwankwaso, Others Have Abandoned Buhari, Says PDP / Breaking News: Nigerian Governors Indicted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku Indicted by adconline(m): 10:37pm On Feb 27, 2007
please folks don't give us half baked information

OBJ and ATIKU were indicted

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/breaking_news/article01.
http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2324

Can our Senate be courageous enough to impeach these two bastards?
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2007
Fair enough,

[size=18pt]Atiku & OBJ Must Resign Now[/size]
Re: Atiku Indicted by Mariory(m): 10:42pm On Feb 27, 2007
OBJ is indicted for using $27m PTDF funds illegally for projects. Atiku is indicted for diverting over $120m into his own private interests. The Panel recommends prosecution for Atiku.
Atiku will never rule Nigeria. Never!
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 10:43pm On Feb 27, 2007
all these links all say the same thing.

what is the material connection to Atiku, they are all claims, no concrete evidence

even the Jefferson thing in the US, the man was caught with the money in his freezer, no money was given to Atiku

I do not support Atiku, but if it is the same wild claims made by EFCC that this conclusion was based on, it will fall just like the EFCC claims for lack of evidence
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 10:47pm On Feb 27, 2007
Atiku will never rule Nigeria. Never!
grin grin grin grin grin

[size=14pt] JOY TO THE WORLD!!! [/size]

Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 10:50pm On Feb 27, 2007
Can our Senate be courageous enough to impeach these two bastards?

YES!!! They will nail them, bastards.
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 10:52pm On Feb 27, 2007
keep ranting shutmouth, this same senate that found a dozen senators guilty and never did anything will impeach Obj and Atiku?

maybe Atiku, if Obj threatens them enough with EFCC, but nobody I repeat nobody will impeach Obj, he has files on all of them at the EFCC
Re: Atiku Indicted by Mariory(m): 10:53pm On Feb 27, 2007
debosky:

all these links all say the same thing.

what is the material connection to Atiku, they are all claims, no concrete evidence

And what is said evidence? A video of Atiku diverting the money? Atiku's camp are not even denying he diverted the money anymore. now they are saying the money he diverted was part of the PTDFs private investment blah blah blah.
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 10:56pm On Feb 27, 2007
debosky

PLEASE JOIN US TO PROTECT OUR COUNTRY, THAT IS ALL WE ASK YOU.

Mellow down about Atiku and think about your darling sweet baby loving yum yum country

Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 10:57pm On Feb 27, 2007
the evidence is clear links showing how Atiku influenced the so called diversion

clear links connecting Atiku to the so called friends and his links to the friends

clear links between the loans given out and the PTDF funds

if you provide any of these e.g signatures on contracts/forms, CAC documents of incorporation etc, then we shall see

I want the truth exposed
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 11:02pm On Feb 27, 2007
debosky,

Give me your phone number in Canada, I want to call you right now and have a one-to-one phone chat with you.

I want to convince you to back down and I am sure if we do have a chat you will see things differently.

This forum can run people crazy, like it did to me when I faced ugodaniel (where the hell is he?)
Re: Atiku Indicted by Mariory(m): 11:03pm On Feb 27, 2007
debosky:

the evidence is clear links showing how Atiku influenced the so called diversion

clear links connecting Atiku to the so called friends and his links to the friends

clear links between the loans given out and the PTDF funds

if you provide any of these e.g signatures on contracts/forms, CAC documents of incorporation etc, then we shall see

I want the truth exposed

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/27/africa/AF-POL-Nigeria-Politics.php

Abubakar's campaign rejected the findings, saying "the legislative body should not allow its name to be dragged into the mud by a few members who may be pursuing their own hidden agenda."

It said in a statement that Abubakar's actions were proper, with the funds originating in a fund specifically designed for investments in the private sector.

The campaign said a top government accountant ruled that the banks were investment grade and that Abubakar delivered double-digit returns on the government's money.

"We therefore call on the entire Senate to look at the report of the committee objectively and reject it if found to be shoddy, as a way of redeeming the image of the upper legislative chamber," it said.

If you do not question the article, then the issue of diverting the funds in the first place is no longer an issue. Atiku's camp now accept that he diverted funds. They are now trying their hardest it seems to come up with excuses on why the funds were diverted to his own private interests.
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 11:07pm On Feb 27, 2007
there is no case of funds diversion. what happened was placement of idle government funds in investments with 13 banks, only one of which is being focused on in this case.

as stated, the funds yielded double digit (12%) interest to the government, and after the directive by the CBN that all govt funds be withdrawn from commercial banks, the funds were returned in full with interest.

placement of funds in banks at that time was regular government practice. no diversion has been proven.
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 11:11pm On Feb 27, 2007
Thanks, Mariory and adconline for digging out this LATEST infos.

It really gives Nigerians a good read to make up their mind who to vote for in the coming election.

A very Big Thank you to Ribadu.

Without him all this would have been covered and more committed.
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 11:16pm On Feb 27, 2007
yes I agree - let Nigerians make up their minds, we don't need almighty Obasanjo to tell us who we should vote for by attempting kangaroo disqualification

let the electorate decide.
Re: Atiku Indicted by McKren(m): 11:21pm On Feb 27, 2007
debosky:

there is no case of funds diversion. what happened was placement of idle government funds in investments with 13 banks, only one of which is being focused on in this case.

as stated, the funds yielded double digit (12%) interest to the government, and after the directive by the CBN that all govt funds be withdrawn from commercial banks, the funds were returned in full with interest.

placement of funds in banks at that time was regular government practice. no diversion has been proven.

Selling this defence is as good as selling ice to the eskimos.
That Petroleum Technology Development Fund was not used for any meaningful Technological development in the country rather it was deposited in Banks an act which facilitated the giving of loans to friends of the VP, by the same bank, without collateral does not amount to diversion of Fund I will rather beg you to define what you mean by diversion??/

Ok lets say hypothetically that there was no diversion, can you please tell us any meaningful technological development the PTDF Fund was used for

Placing that money in banks when the pressing needs for which the programme was set up has not been addressed is in itself is abuse of office. While establishing that friends of the VP were able to secure loan without collateral hours after that fund was deposited  is Fraud and money laundering.

Debosky it is an excersize in futility to try to polish what Garba Shehu has been unable to polish. Both OBJ and Atiku remain indicted of Fraud.
Re: Atiku Indicted by McKren(m): 11:24pm On Feb 27, 2007
Atiku remains disqualified by previous indictments, this latest indictment of him and OBj even strengthens that. OBJ or INEC is'nt disqualifying anyone rather the constitution has according to its provisions in section 137.
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 11:29pm On Feb 27, 2007
there is no Fraud, the money earned interest, got paid back to the government. any major PTDF projects have to be approved by the FEC, if it wasn't approved, Atiku or anyone else has no power to spend the money.

judicious placement of funds to generate interest is NOT diversion - the money was not slated for a certain project and used otherwise, it was money received from the DPR, which was placed in interest yielding accounts pending approval of projects.

whether there was collateral or not is an issue you should take up with the bank, Atiku is not a banker and doesn't make those decisions. the money was returned in full with interest, so that is the crucial issue, there is no proof he influenced the loans.

ther is no evidence of abuse of office, Atiku cannot approve PTDF contracts, FEC can, so if they didnt who is Atiku to spend the money on 'technological development'? he would be accused of not following due process, thats Obj's forte unilateral decisions.

you have no case. twisting words all day will not change that
Re: Atiku Indicted by McKren(m): 11:36pm On Feb 27, 2007
any major PTDF projects have to be approved by the FEC, if it wasn't approved, Atiku or anyone else has no power to spend the money.

Where did you get that info from?
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 11:41pm On Feb 27, 2007
operational procedures of the PTDF, and from the hasty back dated approvals that the FEC made on Obj's expenditure of PTDF funds prior to the Senate investigations.

I know my facts.
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 11:42pm On Feb 27, 2007
McKren, thank you for all the clarifications.

I've given up long ago on Atiku and I'm just sick reading these stuffs.

Why did Atiku continue to make loud noises knowing fully well what he has done is wrong and will come to the open one day. And still want to be P-R-E-S-I-D-E-N-T. Is he foolish, stupid and senseless?

I just can't understand?

Inaddition to his indictments, he must be sued for putting the entire country through so much stress. I hope there is a clause on that in the constitution.
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 11:44pm On Feb 27, 2007
close your eyes then, all you do is rant, at least some people here are willing to reason and discuss the issues.

I await your rebuttal McKren
Re: Atiku Indicted by mowapa(m): 11:53pm On Feb 27, 2007
[center]WHY IS EVERYONE AFRAID OF ATIKU CANDIDACY? THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE B/W RUNNING AND WINNING! LET HIM RUN, AND SEE IF HE COULD WIN

ATIKU RIGHT TO VOTE AND BE VOTED FOR SHOULD NOT BE TRAMPLED.[/center]
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 11:56pm On Feb 27, 2007
there is no Fraud, the money earned interest, got paid back to the government. any major PTDF projects have to be approved by the FEC, if it wasn't approved, Atiku or anyone else has no power to spend the money.

debosky, the entire transactions are not just right, moving money here and there and yielding interest, loaning to friends, paying it back and bla, bla, bla. It's sound very fishy!

This is public funds, not Atiku's grandfather's money.

Who the hell gave him the right to do all these. Whatever was his reasons, he has no right to tamper with Govt money the way he did and a crime is committed if public funds are tampered with in this manner.

His intent was to defraud, period!!!
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 12:00am On Feb 28, 2007
it may sound fishy, but no one gets convicted for sounding fishy. if there is no concrete proof, these accusations must stop

the fact is that he had oversight and decided to invest it to yield interest to the government ( a fact no one is denying), while waiting for FEC to approve projects, that is not tampering, that is judicious use in my opinion.

there is no evidence of any intent to defraud, no evidence either.
Re: Atiku Indicted by McKren(m): 12:16am On Feb 28, 2007
debosky:

it may sound fishy, but no one gets convicted for sounding fishy. if there is no concrete proof, these accusations must stop

the fact is that he had oversight and decided to invest it to yield interest to the government ( a fact no one is denying), while waiting for FEC to approve projects, that is not tampering, that is judicious use in my opinion.

I dont agree with you, that is no judicious use of money. Over the years in this country we have seen civil servant salaries delayed because their bosses send the money in block to banks to make profit in their personal interest. Mind you Atiku have only announced this interest because the issue is now in the public domain. Otherwise he would have benefited in two fronts by depositing that money in bank (1. faciltating loans for his private bussiness interest 2. making profits out of the same money without deploying them to what they should be used for)

I know a friend who got a scholarship to study at Heriot Watt University under PTDF scholarship. He was delayed for 1year cos of lack of fund in 2004. Probably the fund that should have been used for this purpose may have been deposited by someone in some bank to yield interest for him. What does this translate into reversing a young man's life by one year because someone somewhere is making profit out of fund ment for his sponsorship. That in my view is exploitation and oppression.
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 12:21am On Feb 28, 2007

C-O-O-L- I-T debosky,

I got your argument and I think people here understand your point clearly. We can't go inside Atiku's mind now to figure out if his intent was to defraud or not.

The point we want you to know is that Atiku tampered with Public funds. It is the Minster of Finance through the Central Bank who can take decisions and actions relating to investment of public funds to yield interests.

Atiku's actions are suspicious, dubious, illegal and a crime was committed.

This will most likely be the ruling of the senate tomorrow when the matter is debated and I can guarantee you that the senate will recommend his immediate resignation or impeachment.

The country has had enough of this evil man, named Atiku. If my name was Atiku, I will change it to Kutia. I recommend those sharing the same name to do so NOW.

Just type Atiku into Google, you will be shocked. He is EVIL, a DRACULA
Re: Atiku Indicted by shutmouth(m): 12:21am On Feb 28, 2007
Sorry, double post. grin grin grin

Just the Atiku way!!!
Re: Atiku Indicted by debosky(m): 12:27am On Feb 28, 2007
the approvals are up to the FEC headed by Obj, if they don't approve, what can Atiku do? the system is flawed, repair it

don't make the issue a personal one.

the issue of interest was announced to clear his name, the monies had been long returned but the man had to say it to clear himself.

there is still no proof McKren, you might not like Atiku, but please be objective - if there is concrete proof by all means indict/disqualify/prosecute him

but if not, stop defaming his character.

there is still no proof of a crime, with oversight of the PTDF he could approve the placement of funds, that is not in question.
Re: Atiku Indicted by Uche2nna(m): 12:30am On Feb 28, 2007
I cant understand Y anytime some politicians are accused of some crime some people find it convienient to act surprised. Isn't that all they do; loot and defraud. Atiku is accused of a crime; Big deal! Who is not aware of that given the state of the nation. And this includes Mr OBJ. To me all Nigerian politicians are rogues until proven otherwise.
Re: Atiku Indicted by McKren(m): 12:31am On Feb 28, 2007
PTDF: Panel blames Obasanjo, indicts Atiku
By John Alechenu and Oluwole Josiah, Abuja
Published: Wednesday, 28 Feb 2007
The Senate Ad hoc Committee on the Petroleum Technology Development Fund has faulted President Olusegun Obasanjo for acting outside the Act establishing the PTDF.

Skip to next paragraph

File
Abubakar Atiku

It, however, indicted Vice-President Atiku Abubakar for the mismanagement of the agency’s funds.

In a report formally presented by its Chairman, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, to the Senate on Tuesday, the committee found Obasanjo and the Federal Executive Council guilty of allegedly using PTDF money for projects not covered within the law establishing the fund.

It said, ”In respect of some projects commenced by the PTDF in 2006, particularly the establishment of African Institute of Science and Technology in the FCT, incorporation of Galaxy Backbone Plc; and purchase of computers for civil servants under the Computer for All Nigerians Initiative, for which Obasanjo gave approval and subsequently obtained the ratification of the FEC, laudable as they may seem, they were outside the mandate of the PTDF as provided for in Section 2 of the enabling Act.

”The President and the FEC acted in disregard of the law establishing the PTDF. Though the ratification by the FEC may mitigate this breach of the law, it however, does not absolve the President and the council of blame.”

The committee, therefore, recommended that the President “be advised to adhere strictly to the provisions of the law establishing the PTDF at all times in either approving projects, expenditure of funds or howsoever.”

The committe indicted Abubakar for allegedly aiding and abetting the placement of $145m belonging to the PTDF in banks.

It added that the money which was meant for specific projects, was fraudulently given out as loans to companies.

The report reads in part, ”That His Excellency, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, vice-president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, abused his office by aiding and abetting the diversion of public funds in the sums of $125m and $20m respectively approved for specific projects to deposits in banks, some of which were fraudulently converted to loans to Netlink Digital Television, Mofas Shipping Company Limited and Transvari Services Limited.”

It also noted that contrary to the argument by Abubakar that PTDF funds were not lost in the various placements, N1.130bn loaned in two instalments to the NDTV; N420m to Mofas Shipping Company Limited; and N300m to Transvari Services Limited by TIB were yet to be recovered.

The committee, however, said that although the loans had been restructured with the acquisition of TIB by Spring Bank Plc., they (loans) might not be recovered outside the restructured framework without endangering the health of Spring Bank.

It, therefore, recommended that the VP be penalised for the offences.

It added that the Marine Float Limited Accounts, which had generated a lot of public interest, was outside its terms of reference as no PTDF funds were traced directly to the account. But the committee noted that the company was at best, a second line beneficiary of the PTDF funds.

The committee further recommended that a businessman, Chief Johnson Oyewole Fasawe, be prosecuted and made to refund N1.55bn being the loan advanced to NDTV and Mofas Shipping Company.

The committee also advised that another businessman, Ahmed Vanderpuye, “be prosecuted and made to refund N300m being a purported loan to Transvari Services from the TIB.”

Also recommended for prosecution are two former executive secretaries of the PTDF, Mr. Hamisu Abubakar, and Mr. Hussein Jallo.

The committee said, “Hamisu Abubakar, executive secretary of the PTDF from September 2000 to July 2005, abused his office by diverting public funds in the sums of $125m and $20m approved for specific projects to deposits in banks, some of which were fraudulently converted to loans to the NDTV, Mofas Shipping Company Limited and TSL and other criminal acts and should be prosecuted for any offences disclosed.

“Hussein Jallo, the executive secretary of the PTDF, from July 2005 to November 2005, having abused his office through criminal acts and for which N49m and six vehicles have so far been recovered from him by the EFCC, should be prosecuted for any offences disclosed.”

EFCC had recovered N200m from Hamisu Abubakar.

The committe also recommended that another former Executive Secretary of the PTDF, Alhaji Adamu Waziri, be made to refund the N4.5m which he okayed for the execution of the Progress Report on Obasanjo Administration and photographs for State House Library since the projects were outside the contemplation of the Section 2 of the PTDF Act.

The committee also suggested that the Marine Float Accounts be independently investigated by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission since the initial investigation by the EFCC had been controversial.

It advised that all accounts in the name of the PTDF within and outside Nigeria be established by the Senate Committees on Petroleum (Upstream) and Public Accounts.

The committee said taxes payable on the bill by Emmanuel Chambers, the company which allegedly registered Galaxy Backbone Plc, should be recovered by the PTDF and paid over to the relevant tax authorities.

While it suggested that the management of the PTDF be reorganised to enhance its capacity to deliver on its objectives, it also voted for the amendment to the PTDF Act.

The committee observed that because the PTDF was a special fund for which appropriation was not required by the National Assembly, it was treated more or less by the Presidency like a security vote with scant regard to the provisions of the Act establishing it.

It also lamented the fact that training for oil and gas sector was relegated to the background as against unrelated projects for which there might have been appropriation elsewhere.

”The fortunes of the fund did not appear to have improved from when its supervision moved from the VP to the President,” it added.

The committee also held that some accounts kept in the name of the PTDF by the Accountant-General of the Federation were not known to the PTDF.

It added that the decision to restrict the funding of the PTDF to a limit of 25 per cent of signature bonuses or $100m per annum was done without legal backing.

It further observed that the supervision of the PTDF by the executive had been grossly inadequate and compounded by the lack of proper oversight by the National Assembly.

The committee also said that the increase in approval limits of the executive secretary of the PTDF from N.7m to N10m was not in accordance with extant financial regulations. It added that bogus and unrealisable projects were recommended and funds approved for them.

It said, ”Many of the projects for which monies were approved have not been implemented.”

The President of the Senate, Chief Ken Nnamani, said, ”The time for propaganda is over, now we have to deal with facts not emotions.”

He said he would sign every page of the report to ensure that the document was not ”doctored”

Soon after presenting the report, Ndoma-Egba, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, told newsmen that Abubakar was not compelled to appear before his committee.

The debate on the report will commence on Wednesday(today).

The Senate had on September 28, 2006 set up the committee to look into the management of the PTDF funds.

Prior to this, the EFCC had indicted Abubakar and Fasawe over the running of the PTDF.

Although Abubakar denied any wrong doing, the Presidency set up a special panel headed by the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Fedration, Chief Bayo Ojo, to further probe the PTDF.

Abubakar and Fasawe were again indicted by the panel. A White Paper on the panel’s findings was consequently gazetted.

While accusations and counter-accusations by the Presidency and Abubakar’s camp lasted, the vice-president and Fasawe filed separate suits challenging their links to the mismanagement of the PTDF.

The case by Fasawe has since been dispensed with in his favour by a Lagos High Court.

The one by Abubakar is still pending before a Federal High Court in Abuja

there you go
Re: Atiku Indicted by Uche2nna(m): 12:34am On Feb 28, 2007
He has no character left to defame. What more proof do U need to know that Atiku and co (+ Mr Obj) did more than they could be ever accused of. Look at the state of the nation  angry I an sorry, debo, but I do not reserve sympathy for a bunch of thieves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Increasing Livability In Eastern States / Dapchi: Parents Occupy NASS, Demands Probe And Recovery Of Abducted Daughters / INEC To Present Certificates Of Return To 26 ODHA Members-elect Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.