Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (29166 Views)

Wife Stabs Senior Wife To Death In Ondo Over Sex Turn With Their Husband / Do Wives Owe Their Husband Sex ? / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:13pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bahddo:
if it's true, that's very commendable.
Yes o culture evolves it is not static.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Bahddo(m): 7:53pm On Dec 28, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Yes o culture evolves it is not static.
yeah it has really evolved. Those days people pay the price of purchase with cowries (and later shillings) and farm produce; now they usually have to cough up near millions of naira smiley
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ehinmowo: 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2017
BeansAndBread:
I think this is caused because we've over adopted the Western Culture. I'll speak for Islam only; Islamically a woman bears her father's name even after marriage. So you'll find in many strict Islamic countries women despite after marriage still bear names like Zainab bint Mu'awiyah(Zainab daughter of Mu'awiyah).

So we need to do away with the Western Culture and adopt the Islamic one grin I know some people will pounce on me but that's the hard reality, we're still under the clutches of colonialism.

You are not smart one bit. Cause if u are, you will know dt ur fuddled Islamic tenant is also foreign to us. In fact, wot d westerners are practicinng is wot is obtainable in traditional Africa society.

And d worst system to emulate is dt of ur Islamic system
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by ivolt: 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2017
kokomilala:
@ivolt, this is no trip on ego. With all the much vaunted needless battles of the sexes, where have they led their apostles?
It has led to consciousness which improved life for millions of women around the world.

There's a conscious attempt to shift social paradigms, to upturn existing orders whether you agree or not.
Or, whether you choose to be in denial
What is wrong with this? There was a time where a shift in social paradigms was needed to stop slavery,
human ritual, and other societal ills.

Some yrs back, in the US, some feminist movements questioned the authority of the Bible. Why the masculine pronoun, He, should be used for God, and so on and so forth.
Any authority can be questioned, no authority is sacred.
Given that "He" is an English word, I see no problem with anyone challenging its use.
Languages and its meaning do evolve.

Concerning women killing their husbands, I don't need to put up facts here, but, it's street knowledge. It was first rife around VGC, then Festac and other places. Of course, this is subjective, but that doesn't invalidate it.
You are still making these up. Some wives do kill their husbands, so do some husbands,
but your claim of "exponential increase" is baseless.Reliable stats are not created by
subjective declarations.

The world would become a better place if people know their place and not try to be what they are not.
What is your place in the world?
Why should you be allowed to decide what you want with your life while another human is denied the same
right because of gender?
How does the decision of a woman to keep her name, her identity threaten the existence of any man?
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by MightySparrow: 8:41pm On Dec 28, 2017
aremuforlife:
[color=#000099][/color][code][/code]
If we are to do away with western culture, then it needs to include Arabian culture too. Be they both pollute our culture and tradition
Africa has their own culture that needs to be respected, the only way you can identify a married woman in Africa is for her to change her father's name to her husband name.

Following world history, a superior culture is always imposed on a lesser one. The leading mind is always followed. The type of official clothing today the world over is European. The acceptable wedding is court's. Nomenclature for names is taking a new dimension. African culture and Arabic culture like any other are struggling for survival. They are gradually fading away. In the next hundred years, these things we discuss now will no longer be issues. Those cultural sites, clothes, foods I used to know are fast becoming history. My children now haven' t seen any of these things.

If you are of Yoruba stock you will agree with me that today, naming ceremony, wedding, funeral are a departure from what were handed down from elders. Some are being modernized, demonized, or erased. Culture lives, originates from people's minds, as long as we live an think cultures will come and go. We now are gowns worn in olden days? How many culture now practice take over widower's wives now?

Bro, culture is a dynamic thing, a living force that cannot be stopped.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:49pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bahddo:
yeah it has really evolved. Those days people pay the price of purchase with cowries (and later shillings) and farm produce; now they usually have to cough up near millions of naira smiley
It depends on the family not all ask for too much and some even assist.To me we make things expensive for ourselves in this country,If you want to get married you don't need to spend all your money on a one day event.I know of a couple that did the traditional wedding in their parlor with close relatives,they had a registry marriage and did their blessing of marriage in church.The only things shared were just snacks and drinks finish and they are married.So what is the point of doing a 100 million wedding only to divorce tommorow.Some would even borrow loan and start to pay back and won't have money to cater for their children when they later come.It is a free world so everybody can use their money the way they like it is none of my business.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by BeansAndBread(m): 11:27pm On Dec 28, 2017
farem:

It remains your sisters, aunts and your daughters. When you have accomplished the aforementioned, we may consider your idea.
I don't know why people like you are miserable and mischievous, you know nothing about my family. My mum and her sisters don't bear their husbands names, and neither have a sister nor have a wife talk more of giving birth to a daughter. So if you have nothing reasonable to post, stop mentioning me.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by BeansAndBread(m): 11:29pm On Dec 28, 2017
Danrizzle:

Not making sense. Islamic culture was imported also....from the Middle East.
Even your traditional culture was adopted in one way or the other. Women bearing their husband's is something that doesn't really make sense and it's due to western culture, we do away with what's not right. So what's wrong with adopting the Islamic one that solves this problem?
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by damlawrence101: 2:31am On Dec 29, 2017
you they bear you mama name? 're praying for ur marriage not to work ? e be like say you and Lai Mohammed they use d same model of brain[[[[}quote author=carinmom post=63677062]My family's name is equally important, I just can't imagine myself discarding it and adopting someone's name. What if the marriage did not work?[/quote]
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by farem: 9:52am On Dec 29, 2017
BeansAndBread:
I don't know why people like you are miserable and mischievous, you know nothing about my family. My mum and her sisters don't bear their husbands names, and neither have a sister nor have a wife talk more of giving birth to a daughter. So if you have nothing reasonable to post, stop mentioning me.

You are the one that is actually miserable! The likes of you will like to bomb people through other persons but your family will be kept in the earthly luxury preaching sexual aljanna to the spiritual imbeciles.

My point is -Before you can make this your wretched idea universal to all Muslim's, go and sell it to your immediate relations first!
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by BeansAndBread(m): 10:19am On Dec 29, 2017
farem:

You are the one that is actually miserable! The likes of you will like to bomb people through other persons but your family will be kept in the earthly luxury preaching sexual aljanna to the spiritual imbeciles.

My point is -Before you can make this your wretched idea universal to all Muslim's, go and sell it to your immediate relations first!
Are they pursuing you or something? I said my relatives don't, is that too hard for you to swallow? If your life is miserable, go front and stop coming near me. Of course yes, I'll carry bomb and bomb the likes of dullards like you, mumu!
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by farem: 10:27am On Dec 29, 2017
BeansAndBread:
Are they pursuing you or something? I said my relatives don't, is that too hard for you to swallow? If your life is miserable, go front and stop coming near me. Of course yes, I'll carry bomb and bomb the likes of dullards like you, mumu!

Your forebears carried bombs against people like us and they died miserably alone. Your own won't be an exception. Make haste and join them in their phantom sexual aljanna.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by BeansAndBread(m): 10:32am On Dec 29, 2017
farem:

Your forebears carried bombs against people like us and they died miserably alone. Your own won't be an exception. Make haste and join them in their phantom sexual aljanna.
Omo ale jati jati, you?! Coward oshi, you fit face bomb? Gtfo my mention jor! grin
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by aremuforlife(m): 11:52am On Dec 29, 2017
MightySparrow:

Following world history, a superior culture is always imposed on a lesser one. The leading mind is always followed. The type of official clothing today the world over is European. The acceptable wedding is court's. Nomenclature for names is taking a new dimension. African culture and Arabic culture like any other are struggling for survival. They are gradually fading away. In the next hundred years, these things we discuss now will no longer be issues. Those cultural sites, clothes, foods I used to know are fast becoming history. My children now haven' t seen any of these things.

If you are of Yoruba stock you will agree with me that today, naming ceremony, wedding, funeral are a departure from what were handed down from elders. Some are being modernized, demonized, or erased. Culture lives, originates from people's minds, as long as we live an think cultures will come and go. We now are gowns worn in olden days? How many culture now practice take over widower's wives now?

Bro, culture is a dynamic thing, a living force that cannot be stopped.
[quote][/quote]
Yes, to be sincere I agree with you that the superior culture are taking over the lesser culture and our culture is fading away .But I can still assure that some people are still trying to keep the culture going and they are ready to do anything to keep it strong.
That's what is still making the Yoruba race waxing strong and and migrating throughout the world. And it will be difficult for one to differentiate a Yoruba man from his culture and tradition. And some of the southwest state are now making Yoruba language compulsory in school in the house of assembly and so on.
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by Antina(f): 1:20pm On Dec 29, 2017
Daeylar:
It should be the woman's choice, if she wants to change her name or not or hyphenate both last names
Also the man is free to take his wife's last name, or hyphenate both,
Or both can just find an alternative.
That will be the names the kids bear.

It's disgusting that some people in this thread are saying that because a woman was purchased she has to bear the Man's name,
To many people here a woman is nothing more than an object or a slave. How can someone use Purchased for a human being again.

grin cheesy
Re: Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name by MightySparrow: 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2017
aremuforlife:

Yes, to be sincere I agree with you that the superior culture are taking over the lesser culture and our culture is fading away .But I can still assure that some people are still trying to keep the culture going and they are ready to do anything to keep it strong.
That's what is still making the Yoruba race waxing strong and and migrating throughout the world. And it will be difficult for one to differentiate a Yoruba man from his culture and tradition. And some of the southwest state are now making Yoruba language compulsory in school in the house of assembly and so on.
yea, we are saying the same thing. We should never allow our culture to die yet we cannot prevent evolving culture affect us. If we keep our own strong, some can become a global thing. Thanks so much.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can This Be How Generational Curses Begin? / Nairaland Parents , Do You Agree With This ? / What Is My Duty As A Married Woman? Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.