Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,025 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? (45811 Views)

Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by tyup(m): 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2018
bibiking7:

I don't know about Nigerian military. Most of the ones that I know, you start with a Contract of a couple of years, you can choose to leave when it expires or you can extend. If you chose to leave while your Contract is on. Then you are AWOL or seen as a deserter and hunted down. You cannot even leave the Nigerian defence academy just like that. The French Foreign legion starts with a 5 years contract I think, then upon completion you could pick shorter durations
, if you leave while having a valid contract, head hunters will track you down. If you are a soldier, ask your commanding officer how you can get out. #I have a feeling that you cannot even discuss this in North Korea#. grin

Lolx

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Stephenben(m): 2:18pm On Jan 07, 2018
martineverest:
10yrs not 20
Oga, it is 20 years of military service oo.. And sure, you can resign but it must be for a very very very good reason and you must have spent a good amount of years in the military before you're allowed to resign
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Stephenben(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2018
12345baba:
when RPG fly pass your head for battle field
Hahahahaha.. Lol.. Then he'll think again..
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by leavegoodbehind(m): 2:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
Military Discharge. There is no way to simply quit the Army once you are on active duty. You are contractually, and perhaps morally, obligated to see your commitment through. However, you could be discharged from duty early if you are physically or psychologically unable to perform your Army duties.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by nams77: 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Sermwell:
God bless you OP for this thread! Just last week, a soldier approached me that I should get him some slippers to wear! I was wondering why but he told me that he excaped the guard room and that he wants to returned to his people! While I was making the arrangement, some 7 soldiers stormed our house and drag the soldier back to the barrack!
The story was that he didn't want to continue in the army! I was now wondering IS IT BY FORCE??
If your story is true, then he did what is known as AWOL- absence without Leave..It is an offence.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
You can't just resign especially when on active duty as that is seen as a dishonourable act and affects your standing afterwards. If it were not so,half of the Nigerian Army fighting boko haram would have quit.

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Antangonist: 3:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
you can not resign, but you can desert. what they know is called voluntary retirement.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by chiefojiji(m): 3:16pm On Jan 07, 2018
Try kill just one people, u will be resigned!
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by RealIgboboy: 3:19pm On Jan 07, 2018
12345baba:
Yes u can. Na before them no dey gree. U can also resign by giving urself injury by yourself grin grin. Seriously resigning is possible these days

If you do that and you are caught, too bad. You will be charge for
1. woeful damage of govt property
2. Malingering
3. Refusal to perform military duty etc
And the offense no be here ooo

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Themandator: 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2018
Lovintus2:
Life can sometimes be unpredictable and therefore we make choices that can either make or mar us, the latter very unfortunate. For many years I've been saddled with the responsibility of seeking for the answers to these questions; "can a soldier or any uniformed personnel who is in the force decide to change his/her career and therefore resign?" "can he/she walk up to his/her commander and say 'sir I don't want to be a soldier anymore?"

You can resign provided you are not dodging any assignment for which you actually been receiving salaries all this while....crisis situation like boko issues or herds men
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Themandator: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2018
Antangonist:
you can not resign, but you can desert. what they know is called voluntary retirement.

You can resign. The current Sultan resigned from the army to assumed that office
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by TENHEU22(m): 4:56pm On Jan 07, 2018
My brother the answer is yes, a soldier's first contract in the service is six years after which if you don't want to continue being a soldier you may request for discharge form. If your commander sign it off you go bye bye.

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by saintboogie(m): 5:00pm On Jan 07, 2018
Military Discharge. There is no way to simply quit the Army once you are on active duty. You are contractually, and perhaps morally, obligated to see your commitment through. However, you could be discharged from duty early if you are physically or psychologically unable to perform your Army duties.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by saintboogie(m): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2018
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2018
Lol. It's not easy you know.

In the US Marine, you must and I repeat you finish your contract and if at the end of the contract, a war comes up, your right to terminate the contract will be suspended.

I've seen guys who started using excessive alcohol just to be dismissed. They were simply placed on rehab and suspended from carrying firearms. Some were redeployed to working in the warehouse and in the kitchen.

It's hard to get and harder to get out. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by jonvalek(m): 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2018
Guy stop that yarn jare. Says who? I had friends that quit and no such statement was said to them.
Lovintus2:
But someone said when you resign before your retirement, you are tagged a terrorist because you've already learnt the military tactics and therefore may use it negatively. It's a do or die affair
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by gistsky: 5:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
You can resign when there is no war, but if der is ongoing war, it is a do or die affair!

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by jonvalek(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2018
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by jonvalek(m): 5:42pm On Jan 07, 2018
Guy lemme get this right. If I understand u properly, u mean even when the contract is over let's say this week, and war broke out next week, am not eligible to quit? U know this for a fact? And when u say contract, how long is it?

CaptainJeffry:
Lol. It's not easy you know.

In the US Marine, you must and I repeat you finish your contract and if at the end of the contract, a war comes up, your right to terminate the contract will be suspended.

I've seen guys who started using excessive alcohol just to be dismissed. They were simply placed on rehab and suspended from carrying firearms. Some were redeployed to working in the warehouse and in the kitchen.

It's hard to get and harder to get out. grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2018
jonvalek:
Guy lemme get this right. If I understand u properly, u mean even when the contract is over let's say this week, and war broke out next week, am not eligible to quit? U know this for a fact? And when u say contract, how long is it?

Yes bro. Even if na tomorrow. grin

One can enlist with a 3, 4 or 5 yr contract but first contract is mostly 4yrs after which you will be placed on another 4yrs IRR. In IRR, you are already discharged and living as a civilian but if war breaks out, you are mandated to report for duty. grin

One can also make a career in it which is so so hard considering the demands.

1 Like

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by rolams(m): 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2018
Yes, you can resign
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by ed2gbi(m): 7:15pm On Jan 07, 2018
I served in the Nigerian army for 10 yrs and 9 months. I resigned because my unit commander was against me taking a study leave unless I am sponsored by the army. I could afford to sponsor myself because getting a sponsorship from the hq never comes easy.

I was an ambitious young and energetic soldier.

So yes, hearing from a first hand person like me it is POSSIBLE.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by ed2gbi(m): 7:26pm On Jan 07, 2018
Don't confuse resignation with retirement
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by LaExpert: 9:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
PrecisionFx:

U are highly misinformed. Pls go to the appropriate authorities n ask.

You probably didn't understand my post.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by brightleave(m): 12:49am On Jan 08, 2018
Lovintus2:
But someone said when you resign before your retirement, you are tagged a terrorist because you've already learnt the military tactics and therefore may use it negatively. It's a do or die affair
like Osama grin grin
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by yinnyme(m): 11:14am On Jan 08, 2018
Yes you can. I served 18years plus and I wrote for voluntary discharge and it was approved. Although it took time but it was the security issues I the country that caused it otherwise it should not have taken more than 3months. Its a voluntary job, but the procedure long, you cant just walked in and walk out unless you desert and it definitely has consequences.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Obodo999(m): 10:13pm On Jan 08, 2018
Ayoemrys:
some fathers are useless. He can even disown you

I don't think many girls, ladies and women will agree with you.
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Meetleader: 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2018
yes, but its not that easy, esp in the NA...

On paper, the book would tell you that the Army job is a voluntary job... but in reality it is not so...

They would look for numerous reasons why your disengagement cannot be approved, as if its by force to continue in the job...

The moment I wrote to my commander to disengage from the Army, it became a battle...

it took me about two years including the intervention of the COAS for me to be discharged from the Army successfully...

Army is bondage, It's a long story...

I thank GOD for liberating me.

I'm now a free man...

4 Likes

Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by Ayoemrys(m): 5:56pm On Jan 09, 2018
Obodo999:

I don't think many girls, ladies and women will agree with you.
Of Cus Dey Do Agree Wit Me,
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by SeunDobo(m): 2:52pm On Aug 03, 2021
Please can i resign from federal road safety without any difficult ?
Re: Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? by IDKornel: 6:58am On Nov 20, 2023
emnite:
check the form andd see what was written there
People like to talk but won't listen 😩

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Windscreen Cleaner In Suit Spotted In Ogun State / Pretty Nigerian Policewoman Arrives Back Home After Peacekeeping Mission. Photos / Nigeria To Disengage 500,000 N-power Beneficiaries ‘soon’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.