Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,187 members, 7,953,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:40 PM

Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail (6630 Views)

…babangida Defends Buhari / SUPPORT Gen Buhari"s Presidential Aspiration Come 2015 / Soludo And His Anambra Governorship Aspiration! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Beaf: 2:47am On Apr 09, 2010
[size=14pt]Why Babangida’s 2011 aspiration may fail [/size]
Friday, 09 April 2010 01:18 Max Amuchie

In the build up to the 2011 presidential election, one person whose move to contest the election that has generated a lot of interest is Ibrahim Babangida, former military president.

In recent times, he has become more visible and just last week he was in Abeokuta to attend the 54th birthday ceremony of the governor of Ogun State, Gbenga Daniel. At the occasion, he said he was still consulting on 2011 and that he had not yet made up his mind. Analysts, however, say the visit was arranged for him to touch base with the political class in the South West. As head of state, between 1985 and 1993, it was under his watch that the June 12, 1993 election said to have been won by late MKO Abiola was annulled. Therefore, appeasing the South West may be a strategy to launch his aspiration to occupy Aso Rock in 2011.

In 2006, he had made a feeble attempt to get the ticket of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to contest the 2007 presidential election, a ticket that was eventually given to President Umaru Yar’Adua, then governor of Katsina State.

Analysts believe that Babangida has slim chances of getting the ticket. The North, determined to produce PDP’s candidate for 2011, is shopping for a good candidate that has nationwide acceptability. Babangida’s quest may not get the nod of power brokers in that part of the country. He needs regional support to make any progress.

There are key groups in the country and in PDP whose interests appear to be at variance with Babangida’s quest. Political analysts say the first person Babangida has to contend with is ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo. In the present dispensation, Obasanjo is a factor. He nominated most members of the newly inaugurated Federal Executive Council (FEC). With the current sour relationship between Acting President Goodluck Jonathan and the Vincent Ogbulafor-led PDP NEC, Obasanjo is expected to play a stabilising role. That also means that he
Babangida
will have influence on the choice of the party’s candidate for 2011.
Babangida

One reason Obasanjo will not be comfortable with Babangida becoming president in 2011 is that he may not want anybody that will equal his record as leading Nigeria both as a military head of state and as a civilian president. Obasanjo ruled for three and half years as head of state and eight years as civilian president making a total of 11 and half years. Babangida ruled for eight years as military president. Just one term of four years as civilian president for him will mean that he would have ruled Nigeria for 12 years. With that he will not only equal Obasanjo’s record but will beat it by the number of years in office.

Besides Obasanjo, Babangida’s primary constituency, the military, is not likely to support him. Key actors in this constituency are Muhammadu Buhari, whom Babangida overthrew in 1985 and Abdulsalami Abubakar, who ushered in democratic rule in 1999. Both Babangida and Abdulsalami are from Minna, Niger State. The military played a leading role in the emergence of Obasanjo as PDP candidate in 1999. Before Obasanjo was released from prison to contest the party’s presidential primary election, Alex Ekwueme, Second Republic vice president and leader of G-35 that founded the PDP, was the leading presidential aspirant. A source said it was the military that worked on the civilian leaders of the PDP to drop their support for Ekwueme. Though the military no longer wields that level of influence in the party or in the country, their support or lack of it for Babangida can determine his fate in 2011.

It is instructive that Babangida has gone to the South West. Though June 12 is no longer a very strong factor in South West politics, if Babangida decides to run, he will have to contend with the radicals in the region who are yet to forgive him for annulling that election. The fear is that those elements will mobilise voters against him. It is for this that the Northern elite may not back him. If he does not get consensus of support from the North, being a military tactician, he
will not run. It is this consensus he referred to as consultation. It is a process that is on-going and its outcome will determine his final move.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9955:why-babangidas-2011-aspiration-may-fail-&catid=85:national&Itemid=340
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by ireneann: 12:12pm On Apr 09, 2010
The evil that men do pursues after them grin grin grin

When he was annulling the election did he consult any geo-political zone?
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by noetic16(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2010
The only thing that would stop IBB is Jonathan does not support him . . . . . In Nigeria the Incumbent has all the political say.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Mbeki: 12:35pm On Apr 09, 2010
He has spent all the loots and ill gotten wealth, to save his wife, now is back to contest for another round of looting, if he does not take his time, he rule Nigeria from the land of the dead!
Drug baron!
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by JERRYMAG4(m): 12:44pm On Apr 09, 2010
We do not want maradona in this country any longer. IBB, the originator of 419 in Nigeria, who also belief in 'chop, i chop" would not help this country if he comes back.

Somebody should please tell him or else his case would be like Abacha who would die mysteriously a day to take over power.He would be eliminated by God. Nigerians do not want disaster befall them any longer. The one we are in presently is enough please.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Mcaudrey: 12:45pm On Apr 09, 2010
My People, everyone knows that anything is possible in Nigeria.
Afterall, do our votes really count in this country of m.ass rigging
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Mcaudrey: 12:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
My People, everyone knows that anything is possible in Nigeria.
Afterall, do our votes really count in this country of mass rigging
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 12:50pm On Apr 09, 2010
The Analyst that wrote all these must be a joker, i had to look at the date to make sure it is not April fool day once again.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by oge4real(f): 12:53pm On Apr 09, 2010
IBB should leave ASo rock alone. He will never become an occupant of the villa in this generation.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by naijaswag1: 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2010
If IBB becomes Nigeria's next president.I bet he will not live long enough to serve out that presidency.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by sesbol(m): 1:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
The worst that can ever happen in 2011 is for Nigerians to vote IBB as president, that will simply mean that Nigerians have very short memories, is it the killings, June 12, Dele Giwa, 419 and all the evils perpetrated that the we want to experience again??. If IBB must rule Nigeria again please let us Un Lugard first then he can rule.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:05pm On Apr 09, 2010
sesbol:

The worst that can ever happen in 2011 is for Nigerians to vote IBB as president, that will simply mean that Nigerians have very short memories, is it the killings, June 12, Dele Giwa, 419 and all the evils perpetrated that the we want to experience again??. If IBB must rule Nigeria again please let us Un Lugard first then he can rule.

You mean he perpetrated some 419 scheme or what are you talking about?
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by naijaswag1: 1:10pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

IBB needs to be opposed by all means or if he eventually becomes president,elimination should suffice.Are we moving forward in this country or backward.Why wont this cannibals leave Nigeria alone.What did he forget in Aso Rock.Was there any improvement in the eight years he was president? This is a man that has been unapologetic about our 12billion USD and June 12.a self acclaimed evil genius.Must we continue to recycle?
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by truly: 1:13pm On Apr 09, 2010
sesbol:

The worst that can ever happen in 2011 is for Nigerians to vote IBB as president, that will simply mean that Nigerians have very short memories, is it he killings, June 12, Dele Giwa, 419 and all the evils perpetrated that the we want to experience again??. If IBB must rule Nigeria again please let us Un Lugard first then he can rule.
Let us be face it. That is not the worst that can happen.
Suppose we end up with somebody far more ruthless than IBB but not as smart.
Imagine an Abacha reincarnate.
Mind you, I hate IBB so much that I heaved a sigh of relief when PDP swept him aside in 2007.
I calculated that whoever got it in 2007 was likely to run till 2015.
IBB would be about 73 or 74? and then it will be the turn of the South
You can now see what harm Obj has done to my permutation

But seriously, IBB is a threat given the tacit support of Americans he enjoys

That is why my no 1 priority is electoral reform
Let Nigerians be able to elect, harass, impeach etc whoever they want
I don't want somebody to be consulting with known enemies
while ignoring majority of Nigerians
secure in the knowledge that these king makers will always deliver
I am a free born citizen of Nigeria
Why should I not have a say in who governs me
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by cecegorz(m): 1:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
Never Again!!!

That man is the inventor of everything that is wrong with this country; 419, looting of public coffers, assassination, drug trafficking,  et al.

It's not for fun that he was dubbed the 'Evil Genius'

God won't let him come close to power again!
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Beaf: 1:17pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

419 became common place during IBB's regime because, his time was a corruption free for all. That was when people could use CBN letterheads for fraud.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2010
Beaf:

419 became common place during IBB's regime because, his time was a corruption free for all. That was when people could use CBN letterheads for fraud.

OK . . .
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by ojimboIV: 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2010
@topic
why give a madman publicity?
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:35pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ Lol
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by kosovo(m): 1:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
IBB is the Best man for true Federalism and Democracy, WE MUST SUPPORT HIM TO MOVE THE NATION FORWARD. . .
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by samcc30(m): 1:42pm On Apr 09, 2010
but why money is ruling this country for God sake, do obama  has money than McCain b4 he became America president. why allow this rubbish to rule us
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:44pm On Apr 09, 2010
kosovo:

IBB is the Best man for true Federalism and Democracy, WE MUST SUPPORT HIM TO MOVE THE NATION FORWARD. . .

Tell us why
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
samcc30:

but why money is ruling this country for God sake, do obama  has money than McCain b4 he became America prudent. why allow this rubbish to rule us

Cos a man is loyal to the hands that feeds him.
In America, Average person has a job and those that does not have some sort of help in form of social to take care of them - Nigeria has nothing
In America, Most could walk into a bank and get loan to do stuff - Nigeria has nothing
In America, people dont have to get bribe to feed their kids and family, in Nigeria most will sell their conscience for money.

So till few things changed, we will continue like that . . . so sad, but what are the choices?
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by AroOkigbo(m): 1:55pm On Apr 09, 2010
Naija, what a funny place to be.
IBB of all people, anyway shit happens.
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 1:57pm On Apr 09, 2010
Aro Okigbo:

Naija, what a funny place to be.
IBB of all people, anyway poo happens.

Lol
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by ochukoccna: 2:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
@ post.
I didn't bother reading the post because in the first place, the topic should read 'WHY IBB [size=18pt]WILL[/size] [size=5pt]not may[/size] FAIL!
Also THISDAY is just an appendage to plant stories to favor the rapacious 9ja elite.
He has lots of questions to answer. I share just 3
[1] DELE GIWA
[2] GULF OIL WINDFALL
[3] JUNE 12
Bloody dictator now knows 9ja needs true federalism. undecided undecided
Who's he fooling? embarassed embarassed embarassed
I no blame am sha seeing David mark na Senate prez with all his atrocities.
So hin sef wan try kalo kalo.
[size=18pt]NO WAY.[/size]
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Fhemmmy: 2:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ Na wa oh, so much hatred for the dude
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by ojimboIV: 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2010
kosovo:

i'm guessing you mean forward in reverse.
this same ibb you're canvassing for had 8yrs to make a mark. he had his chance and BLEW it. i'm sorry we don't want another 8yrs instalment. how he's managed to drum up support is beyond my comprehension. maybe i'm just paranoid. i don't know. angry grin
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by afanda(m): 2:14pm On Apr 09, 2010
So much Drama, he has not even made up his mind! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by kosovo(m): 2:14pm On Apr 09, 2010
All IBB needs, is just to declare his candidacy and he has WON . . we can then experience True democracy and Federalism, at least for once . .
Hope i have answered ur question @ Fhemmmy
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 09, 2010
kosovo:

i beg to disagree with you kosovo.dont see nigeria politicians from the surface,they are the cunniest i've ever seen.a true democrat must be able to act and be able stand by that action anytime.campaign statement are normal thing when elections time are approaching,so ibb should not be taken too serious on such comments on true federalism which he chose to throw away 17 years ago.i kinda like the setting now.ibb vs obasanjo vs atiku vs buhari.ibb should just sit down and accept responsibility for abiola's death and the present sorry state of the nation
Re: Why Babangida’s 2011 Aspiration May Fail by desgiezd(m): 2:24pm On Apr 09, 2010
I have said this several times and I will say it again here, the day IBB annulled the June 12, 1993 elections, he unwittingly annulled himself along with that election. This is one thing that will continually haunt him to his grave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Henry Okah Shocked - Nigerian Officials Knew Of Plan To Bomb Abuja / Calabar – A Liter Of Fuel Now Sells For N250 In Some Part / JAMB Form Exposes APC Governorship Aspirant’s Akinwunmi Ambode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.