Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers (7474 Views)

Subsidy Removal: Mechanics Decry Low Patronage As Motorists Abandon Vehicles / US Police Officers Give Motorists N57,000 Each As Christmas Gift / 18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by marryjesus: 4:45am On Jan 08, 2018
Despite the benefits from motor insurance cover, the Nigerian Insurance Association says over 12 million Nigerian motorists carry fake insurance papers.

Investigations by stakeholders in the sector, revealed that many motorists prefer patronizing fraudsters for insurance papers rather than obtaining valid certificate that would provide cover and compensation in times of accident.

Nigerian Insurance Association boss, Mr. Sunday Thomas who spoke to reporters in Asaba, at the weekend said that the development had not gone down well with operators in the industry who have decided to collaborate with law enforcement agencies to put an end to fake insurance business in Nigeria.

He said that the industry had continued to record increase in the number of genuine insurance policies registered in its Nigerian industry data base, adding that “the vehicles on the Nigerian roads are between 16 million and 17 million but what we have registered in our data base is about 4.3 million, it is possible that insurance cover of some expired and have not been renewed.’’

Noting that the association was trying to separate the expired policies from the current ones to determine the actual number of vehicles with genuine insurance, Thomas explained that the industry data base was introduced to curb the proliferation of fake motor insurance papers, provide information on the details of vehicle on the Nigerian roads as well as enhance the verification of certificates in owners’ possession.

He said from available statistics on the number of motorists that are using fake insurance papers, it was obvious that many motorists are unaware of the position of the law on defaulters,.

He said section 68 of the Insurance Act 2003 states that “ no person shall use or cause any other person to use a motor vehicle on the road, unless a liability which he may thereby incur in respect of the damage to the property of third parties is insured with an insurer registered under its act, the insurance states that the law shall cover the liability of not less than one million and that a person that contravenes the provisions of that section of the law commits an offence and will be liable on conviction to a fine of N250,000 or imprisoned for one year.”

http://www.akelicious.com/2018/01/12-million-nigerian-motorists-carry.html

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by MrHistorian: 7:20am On Jan 08, 2018

1 Like

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by williams85(m): 7:21am On Jan 08, 2018
Absolutely true

1 Like

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 08, 2018
Na una dey sell am

3 Likes

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by jeeqaa7(m): 7:22am On Jan 08, 2018
If only the government was effective.. These wouldn't happen.

By the way.

We have bigger issues plaguing us aka APC

Next year is elections.

Who would you vote for?

Like for Buhari.

Share for Anonymous.

6 Likes 29 Shares

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Meritocracy: 7:23am On Jan 08, 2018
This people will stay in office and start giving fake figure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by mokaflex(m): 7:23am On Jan 08, 2018
And where do they get it from. Obviously from same institutions that provides the original. Weak institutions leads to weaker societies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Elparaiso(m): 7:25am On Jan 08, 2018
Although insurance is important, this government does not have any right to point out the fault in its citizens.

Everything just cast abeg. The insurance companies are just there to receive premiums and abandon you when you really need them. So why effing bother?

3 Likes

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by SurePresident: 7:27am On Jan 08, 2018
In Tuface voice "Don't let this Opportunity pass you by!
As long as People eat food, the World needs Caterers. Don't be jobless in 2018. Mama Exotic is currently offering Free New Year Trainings in Abuja, don't miss it! Exotic Cake Baking, Wedding Outdoor Catering, Smoodie Production, Delicious Local Meals, Hotel Food Supplying, Interior Decor, Event Management, etc... Give your Sisters her number, they need this opportunity. Save and Contact O7O69 1 912 22

1 Like

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 08, 2018
No be govt officials dey issue am ni
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by BackToLife: 7:30am On Jan 08, 2018
cheesy
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by paymentvoucher: 7:31am On Jan 08, 2018
how is that motorists fault? The so called officials issue Fake insurance papers with one rubbish card they picked from trash.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by bidaking01(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2018
Me inclusive
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Badboiz(m): 7:32am On Jan 08, 2018
jeeqaa7:
If only the government was effective.. These wouldn't happen.

By the way.

We have bigger issues plaguing us aka APC

Next year is elections.

Who would you vote for?

Like for Buhari.

Share for Anonymous.

INEC !!!! .. Isn’t it too early for election?..
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by asdfjklhaha(f): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2018
Since there's no money to buy original let us manage fake since its affordable. After all its the insurance agents that still give us the fake after seeing that we can't afford the original.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by jeeqaa7(m): 7:35am On Jan 08, 2018
Badboiz:

INEC !!!! .. Isn’t it too early for election?..
It isn't afterall na last year Apc begin prepare

1 Like

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Emmerlee(m): 7:36am On Jan 08, 2018
So true.. the craze for cheap insurance is legendary in this part of the world. I wonder if people even really know what insurance is or why it is so important.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by sanerugwei: 7:39am On Jan 08, 2018
Lazy bones...

Noting that the association was trying to separate the expired policies from the current ones to determine the actual number of vehicles with genuine insurance, Thomas explained that the industry data base was introduced to curb the proliferation of fake motor insurance papers, provide information on the details of vehicle on the Nigerian roads as well as enhance the verification of certificates in owners’ possession.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by shaicollins(m): 7:43am On Jan 08, 2018
Elparaiso:
Although insurance is important, this government does not have any right to point out the fault in it's citizens.

Everything just cast abeg. The insurance companies are just there to receive premiums and abandon you when you really need them. So why effing bother?

Good morning friend ,
I disagree with you on aspect of claim ,every insurance pay claims as much you send for Notification of claim,I work in insurance company and we pay claims everyday.
Ask me any insurance Advice

4 Likes

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by albacete(m): 7:48am On Jan 08, 2018
Let something happen to that car and you will realize they are just there to collect premium.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by goldfish80(m): 7:49am On Jan 08, 2018
A manager in one of the top insurance firms in the country made me understand very clearly that the 3rd party insurance they issue to motorists come with no claims whatsoever.
She said the papers was just to pass police check point.

Simply put, the 3rd party insurance being issued in the country by insurance companies are forged documents meant to pass check points.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by buchilino(m): 7:54am On Jan 08, 2018
D STATEMENT IS TRUE BUT DO U BLAME NIGERIANS. HOW MANY INSURANCE PPLE R TRULY SINCERE.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by pol23: 7:55am On Jan 08, 2018
Maybe.
I know I'm included.
I did that fake thing just to get around town for a week.
I tell you for over 6 months now,I never reason am.
Na kuku wasting of money b4.
If I have extra 5k I might just do the original.
Make I assume this is a reminder.
Where can I get 5k that has no usefulness to throwaway?
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by buchilino(m): 7:58am On Jan 08, 2018
shaicollins:

Good morning friend ,
I disagree with you on aspect of claim ,every insurance pay claims as much you send for Notification of claim,I work in insurance company and we pay claims everyday.
Ask me any insurance Advice

D GUY IS RIGHT, COS I USED NIGER INSURANCE B4. TILL 2DAY ALL D MONEY I PAID INTO DAT R GONE. I DON'T WANT TO START WITH INSURANCE COYS, COS ALMOST ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE ONE BAD THING 2 SAY ABOUT DEM.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by eTECTIVe(m): 8:01am On Jan 08, 2018
And who gives d paper to dem? Its still d vehicle licensing office dat issues papers which always includes insurance.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Jabioro: 8:05am On Jan 08, 2018
After all,the govt her own leaves many fake predence behind there4 her citizen emulate the governance..
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 08, 2018
They do so BECAUSE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE FRAUDS!

Just because the idea of insurance works in advanced countries doesn't mean they should be implemented here. Has any insurance company paid out claims in this country?

The politicians and their fraudulent private sector minions push insurance to steal from the people. Basically, they Want you to pay them for some insurance policy that they will refuse to pay claims on, when the policy holder suffer losses.

Everything is a fraud in Nigeria. Nothing works. But ofcourse the citizens suffer from inferiority complex - they reason why they copy everything from highly advanced countries. Let us concentrate on fixing the basic things in this country first, before we copy highly complex risks management models, such as insurance.

The insurance industry entails risk management. State of roads, mechanical road worthiness of vehicles, driver education, competence of the Police in investigating accidents in order to determine fault, etc. are some of the factors that determine the workability or viabilty of the auto insurance industry. These factors are necessary because insurance companies use them to decide whether to pay claims or not and to decide which policy/company pays for damages, in cases where two or more vehicles are involved.

But you and I know that in reality:

1) Our roads are very bad and prone to accidents.
2) Most vehicles on Nigerian roads are not road-worthy and majority of drivers don't know how to drive, ofcourse because they bought the drivers license and never really learned how to drive and rules of the road.
3) Our police do not have the capacity to investigate accidents in order to determine fault.

So, on what basis do auto insurance companies in Nigeria reimburse policy holders for loss claims when the conditions required for them to make claim decisions are absent. Under our conditions, there is no auto insurance company that will not suffer huge losses because of high claims from their policy holders. Insurance only works when more people pay into it and the companies reimburse very little for losses.

Auto insurance companies in Nigeria DO NOT INTEND TO PAY THEIR POLICY HOLDERS LOSS CLAIMS. THEY ONLY WANT TO TAKE IN PAYMENT FOR POLICY BUT DON'T INTEND TO PAY OUT DAMAGES OR CLAIMS.

Until the factors that I have highlighted above are addressed, AUTO INSURANCE IN NIGERIA WILL REMAIN A SCAM!

2 Likes

Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Badboiz(m): 8:26am On Jan 08, 2018
jeeqaa7:

It isn't afterall na last year Apc begin prepare

Lol
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 08, 2018
Which makes it a huge scam! Selling a worthless paper with no benefit to the buyer is fraud! The auto insurance companies selling the policies know this. The idiots in government who mandate this know that it is a fraud. Even the Police know that it is a fraud meant to enrich the company owners only! And the company owners share the monies they steal from those who buy the papers give some of the monies to government officials and that explains why they are pushing for more people to buy so they make more money.

As usual, everything about this country is a fraud and the largely illiterate populace do not know their rights. I weep for this country!

goldfish80:
A manager in one of the top insurance firms in the country made me understand very clearly that the 3rd party insurance they issue to motorists come with no claims whatsoever.
She said the papers was just to pass police check point.

Simply put, the 3rd party insurance being issued in the country by insurance companies are forged documents meant to pass check points.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by lonelydora: 8:40am On Jan 08, 2018
Very true. Insurance certificate which costs between N900 - N1200 is just to give you an easy passage at police checkpoint.

Only few Nigerians do Comprehensive insurance, and mostly better government workers who through their offices gets it done.
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by Pennywise(m): 8:54am On Jan 08, 2018
OP so na Wetin consign you inside?
Re: 12 Million Nigerian Motorists Carry Fake Insurance Papers by AWONEYAN(m): 9:00am On Jan 08, 2018
I have never seen insurance paying after any mishaps, why waisting money for one coy, to be using my money to ride big cars

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna, P0136 Code Refers To Second Oxygen Sensor On Bank 1 / 5 Ways Nigerians Can Save Money On Car Repairs / Finally Got A CAR! And The Feeling Is Unexplainable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.