Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams (16292 Views)

Female Suicide Bomber Overpowered While Trying To Blow Up Mosque. Photo / We Will Resist Plan To Oust Buhari Over Ill-Health - Arewa Youths Threaten / Kwara Youths Threaten To Recall Saraki, Accuse Him Of Pursuing Personal Interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by LordAdam16: 10:43am On Jan 08, 2018
emmie14:

Nigerian politicians can borrow to celebrate birthday. Let they borrow if we can't source funds locally.

The last one they borrowed to use, they wasted it.

You get mind to ask them to continue borrowing. Later, we'd be the one to pay for it.

Our situation is f*cked up!

-Lord
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Mandem1: 10:47am On Jan 08, 2018
LordAdam16:

Mate don't blame Nigerians solely.

The power issue is everyone's fault.

And privatization is best for that sector, else na d same refinery drama go continue for that sector.

The NIPP was designed by Obasanjo to add about 4000MW. Till date the government has been expended over $20b on that project, we are just over 60% completion. China spent $25b on a 22,000MW plant.

Next year, it'd be 15 years since the 4000MW project was conceived. China finished their 22,000MW project in 9 years.

So tell me why GEJ shouldn't have privatized power? If you have goats in a barn, you don't store yam there. Common sense.

Buhari who thought he could store yam in a barn where goats are, are the goats not making him look st*pid?

The power sector is hopeless. Let's just fix the metering issue and complete ongoing generating plant projects, and then take stock.

Nigeria does not even have the money to fix the power problem. That $15b you said would only generate 9000 MW at best (that's without corruption). Generate only. Transmission and distribution is out of the picture. And it's not enough for Lagos. It's not even up to 10% of the demand of manufacturers right now.

Yet our budget, as huge as it is is no more than $30b. And at least $21b of that money is for recurrent expenditure. The remaining $9b is for power, housing, roads, security, education... And we can't even balance our books, so in reality, we never really get up to $9b for those things.

The problem I can point out about power is that everyone avoids stating the ugly facts. Politicians continue to sell hope, because let's face it, who'd vote for the person who says our power issue can't be solved in next 4 years (people would just assume he's not ready to do anything). The people want a miracle worker. The business men and civil servants don't give a f*ck, there's free money to be had.
-Lord

In as much as I agree with most of what you have said, I don't agree with the "don't blame Nigerians" phrase. If we don't blame ourselves for our failures, then who we go come blame? People want a miracle worker but if you attempt to cover loopholes for corruption Nigerians will descend on you like pirhanas for taking away their daily bread. The moral compass of Nigerians is broken and it needs to be fixed before we can move forward.

1 Like

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 08, 2018
LordAdam16:

Power was privatized in 2014, and privatization is still ongoing, and you expect the regulatory framework of an inherently dysfunctional system to be worked out so quickly.

Most countries around the world have a national grid. China wants to have one. The EU has a massive synchronous grid.

Sure the grid could use a redesign and I'm not saying it's the best, but saying that providing a regulatory framework would solve the issue is tantamount to throwing big words at a problem you can't understand. That'd solve at best 20% of our problems.

States have been allowed for years to have IPPs, how many have a functioning one at the moment?

And Nigeria had an installed capacity of 7000 MW as at 2013. It should be about 10,000MW right now, yet our peak generation on the 6th of January was 3,929.70 MW. The lowest generation on the same day was 173 MW. 173 MW! Would decentralizing the national grid solve that?

-Lord

Thanks again for your mature approach to the discuss, I do not claim expertise in this power issues beyond what I glean from tv debates and the news.

However, my opting for power decentralization is to enable states with resources to attain sufficiency in power generation to do so and not be stifled by a grid that can't evacuate excess generation or trip- off if below a set mark.

I for one have given up on power situation in Nigeria that's why our home runs basically off-grid except when baking and ironing clothes.

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by emmie14: 10:52am On Jan 08, 2018
anthony86:
Sometimes I ask myself how did our neighbour countries do it. Go to Benin and Niger or Ghana they have constant power.
Thankyou. Some idiot said crude oil need to hit $139 because Nigeria can have 24hrs electricity. Imagine!!
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by emmie14: 10:57am On Jan 08, 2018
LordAdam16:

The last one they borrowed to use, they wasted it.

You get mind to ask them to continue borrowing. Later, we'd be the one to pay for it.

Our situation is f*cked up!

-Lord

I was in Uganda last for 3months and electricity was uninterrupted. Uganda is one of the poorest in Africa, landlocked without any pronounced natural economic resources. Our leaders are heartless and mindless.

1 Like

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by LordAdam16: 11:08am On Jan 08, 2018
Mandem1:

[/b]
In as much as I agree with most of what you have said, I don't agree with the "don't blame Nigerians" phrase. If we don't blame ourselves for our failures, then who we go come blame? People want a miracle worker but if you attempt to cover loopholes for corruption Nigerians will descend on you like pirhanas for taking away their daily bread. The moral compass of Nigerians is broken and it needs to be fixed before we can move forward.

I said, "don't blame Nigerians SOLELY."

And it's why I also said we should solve the metering issue and complete ongoing projects, and then take stock.

There's been progress in the metering issue. Commercial operators can now buy meters from third-party sources (don't know how the implementation is going). The NERC are currently drafting the regulations for independent metering. Last I heard, Fashola had given them a deadline.

I'd be surprised if we've made any substantial progress in completing ongoing projects. Firstly because of the oil slump, and secondly because Buhari doesn't give a sh*t. The only thing he's talked about is the Mambilla plant which no one knows the terms of the agreement, and which we all know wouldn't start anytime soon.

But the idea is that if we've gotten the metering issue sorted out and paid off ongoing projects, we can better identify how Bleep*d up we are, and project how long it'd take to get out of this mess. Right now, we can't be definitive about those.

Do you know as we speak, the government covers the bills of the GENCOs when they provide power but it gets lost along the way in transmission or the DISCOs reject it. Yes, they provided N702b for that for the next 2 years. But you'd start hearing them saying consumers solely not paying enough or not paying at all is the problem of the power sector.

That's why I said everyone is at fault. From the consumers to the business men to the president.

-Lord
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Gablo500(m): 11:14am On Jan 08, 2018
What tires me is d fact that wen we result of destruction of properties, it is we the ordinary people that still suffer the consequences. It's just like destroying your own property. What then will u make use of?
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by LordAdam16: 11:19am On Jan 08, 2018
emmie14:

I was in Uganda last for 3months and electricity was uninterrupted. Uganda is one of the poorest in Africa, landlocked without any pronounced natural economic resources. Our leaders are heartless and mindless.

As I said, if Lagos was a country, they would have uninterrupted power. Ditto for states like Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Niger...

The leaders are heartless and mindless but the people are no better.

PHCN for 20 years did not employ a new engineer. They let equipment rot in the ports for 10 years (Nebo only found out after PHCN had been sold, meaning civil servants--Nigerians like you and I--sat on 250+ containers of vital equipment for 10 years). Were the civil servants there not Nigerians, or were they Martian. In two years after privatization, the GENCOs and DISCOs employed 2000+ new engineers.

Sambo used all the money from the sale to pay gratuity to the workers. Every last kobo. Yet barely 3 years later, the same people are part of the Nigerians saying that PHCN would have been better than this current arrangement.

As if PHCN was generating 7000 MW in 2012 and we're now generating 3500 MW in 2018.

The leaders are heartless and mindless, the people are senseless and stup*d. It's even.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 08, 2018
emmie14:

Thankyou. Some idiot said crude oil need to hit $139 because Nigeria can have 24hrs electricity. Imagine!!

Thanks for the compliment......

The fact is, we need $300 billion....some people say $900bn....before Nigeria can get light fixed.

Plus, if we want a balanced budget....we need oil at $139 per barrel....according to Fitch.

Power supply in Nigeria is hard work.

Once again, thanks for the compliment. smiley

Pay yer bills too please. grin

1 Like

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by donqx: 11:31am On Jan 08, 2018
oh
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by shollay09(m): 11:33am On Jan 08, 2018
Samusu:
It's a pity, with all the Dams in Niger state.
I don't know what their useless Bello is doing about it.

Yahaya Bello+Abubakar Bello=Disaster recipe
that guy na big mumu... he has nothing tangible to show for the years he has spent so far
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by LordAdam16: 11:35am On Jan 08, 2018
stellx:

Thanks again for your mature approach to the discuss, I do not claim expertise in this power issues beyond what I glean from tv debates and the news.

However, my opting for power decentralization is to enable states with resources to attain sufficiency in power generation to do so and not be stifled by a grid that can't evacuate excess generation or trip- off if below a set mark.

I for one have given up on power situation in Nigeria that's why our home runs basically off-grid except when baking and ironing clothes.

Your idea isn't exactly a bad one. If power is decentralized, I can imagine states like Niger getting loads of new investment as manufacturers troop there. And for states like Zamfara that have no chance in hell of financing a power project without significant help, the FG would have their own plants that feed the national grid (more like federal and state road dichotomy presently).

The issue of course is the management and the fact that it's not the only problem.

There are some national issues that are relatively easy to find a solution. Not refining enough--sell the refineries. Fulani herdsmen are killing, ban grazing and set up ranches (Buhari has a ranch, why can't he convince his tribesmen to have ranches too).

Power sector is not one of those issues. It's a hydra.

Good thing you have a contingency plan and have given up. I don't think it'd be fixed in the next 10 years. But we'd make progress, albeit slowly.

-Lord
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Mandem1: 11:48am On Jan 08, 2018
Ezedon:
We
Are
Waiting
Buhari is in trouble

Buhari is in trouble or Nigeria is in trouble?
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by emmie14: 12:08pm On Jan 08, 2018
9jakohai:

Thanks for the compliment......

The fact is, we need $300 billion....some people say $900bn....before Nigeria can get light fixed.

Plus, if we want a balanced budget....we need oil at $139 per barrel....according to Fitch.

Power supply in Nigeria is hard work.

Once again, thanks for the compliment. smiley

Pay yer bills too please. grin

Prepaid activated...lolz
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:30pm On Jan 08, 2018
clarocuzioo:
I thought APC said power situation in the country has improved, why this?
propaganda as usual nau

Oby Ezekwesili was speaking on behalf of the country as if she got any statistics or lives in ALL parts of the country

1 Like

Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Banter1(m): 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2018
Jaynom:
Smh ... Jokers! All na initial Gra-gra!
you think we are doing gra gra right? Just wait until we blow one of the dam, then you and the rest of ur john thomas gonna take us serious
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Dsov2016: 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2018
emmie14:
Were you paid or influenced to vomit these trash? Does it mean that federal government doesn't have $15billon to upgrade electricity?. How can poorer countries like Uganda and Ghana provide regular electricity to their citizens but Nigeria -giant over them can't because you want the price of oil to skyrocket? Meaning non- oil producing countries are not supposed to access electricity. Please bro let us stop soliciting for our lame government since first republic.

less population
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Banter1(m): 2:48pm On Jan 08, 2018
Raintaker:
Power in Naija State is pathetic, less than 5 hours of light daily.
One idiot mentioned something about Hausa Fulani amongst the first commenters.
Undereducated ipobian , Niger State is a mixture of different tribes, with Nupe and I think Gbagyi being the majority.
Nupes are the majority.
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Banter1(m): 2:54pm On Jan 08, 2018
qualityovenbake:
He should be expecting visit from DSS.
which DSS? funny. Dude is walking freely he even had a meeting with the acting Gov yesterday. Arresting him is a wrong move.
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Jaynom(m): 3:18pm On Jan 08, 2018
Banter1:
you think we are doing gra gra right? Just wait until we blow one of the dam, then you and the rest of ur john thomas gonna take us serious
No Vex! Abeg! I take God beg you lipsrsealed
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Usman140: 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2018
qualityovenbake:
He should be expecting visit from DSS.
the dss might also be in support cause they may also be suffering from same situation in the state
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Express1086: 4:36pm On Jan 08, 2018
2cato:
Mumu people why not tag bubu and his crooked fashola you voted for
Your share of electricity is been sold to other countries for peanut
your mumu is times two idiot
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Sona92: 4:56pm On Jan 08, 2018
pls who is working with ibedc here?
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Habyz(m): 5:26pm On Jan 08, 2018
If the dam is blown up who is going to suffer for it undecided
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by jamjo: 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2018
sarrki:
To be sincere

Niger state is pathetic

They have kainji, Jebba and Shirroro yet wallow in darkness

It looks like you don't understand how electricity distribution in Nigeria works, they are wallowing in darkness as you said because the federal government decides how megawatts to be distributed to each city or states because of the centralized grid. If the federal government can just find the political will and decentralize the power sectors in Nigeria power problems will be a thing of the past at least in some of our major cities in Nigeria. For instance, a city like Lagos has the capacity to build their own power and distribute it to all the state and the if the much of it they can sale to Ogun or any willing state.
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by emmie14: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2018
Dsov2016:

less population

Abeg always stand by the truth without far or favour. What about countries with over 500m peoples yet provide 24hrs electricity .
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by Dsov2016: 8:55pm On Jan 08, 2018
emmie14:

Abeg always stand by the truth without far or favour. What about countries with over 500m peoples yet provide 24hrs electricity .

much more developed and with people willing to pay tax and bills
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by mechanics(m): 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2018
I concur with them, in my area in Minna, since last year October have not seen PHCN light to charge my phone to read Nairaland news just because transformer blew and up till now no replacement, it's just fuel am burning almost everyday o.
Re: Niger State Youths Threaten To Blow Up Hydroelectric Dams by emmie14: 7:34am On Jan 09, 2018
Dsov2016:

much more developed and with people willing to pay tax and bills
Firstly, Government should be responsible and honest in utilizing the country 's resources and income.
Secondly they must suggest and enforce the mechanism for internal revenue collection and must be ready for transparency. They are dealing with human beings

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Congresses Under Threat As Court Declares Buni’s Chairmanship Illegal / Ag. Igp Arase Restores Officer’s Salary Two Years After Removal From Payroll. / Photos From Senate Plenary, As Dariye Decamps To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.