Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings (870 Views)

Anthony Okolie: Court Awards N10m Against DSS, Absolves Buhari’s Daughter / Obasanjo Accuses Buhari Of Corruption, Says He Tampered With EFCC And ICPC / BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Nobody: 5:15am On Jan 10, 2018
Presidency says Buhari is not inactive about headsmen crisis.

Presidency Absolves Buhari of Herdsmen Killings, Blames Crisis on Demographic Changes

The presidency Tuesday absolved President Muhammadu Buhari of the killings allegedly committed by armed herdsmen in several states of the federation, particularly in Benue State and neighbouring states, saying that the president was concerned about the persistent herdsmen and farmers’ clashes, especially when he sees gruesome pictures of those that have been slaughtered.

This is just as the federal government has also proposed a conference of stakeholders on infrastructure and agricultural development as a platform for immediate and long-term solutions to the frequent conflicts between farmers and herdsmen.

Despite the proposal to hold the conference, the embattled governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, whose people have borne the brunt of the conflicts with herdsmen, Tuesday met with the president in the State House, Abuja, but expressed indifference towards another proposal by the federal government to create cattle colonies in the country to control open grazing by cattle rearers.

The proposed conference, according to a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, was conceived to help in finding short and long-term measures for the expansion of agriculture in the country.

The statement said the conference would tap into experiences and best practices to draw up a development plan of 20-30 years on the basis of population and development projections, which it said would take into consideration environmental impacts.
According to the statement, Buhari was concerned about the persistent herdsmen and farmers’ clashes, especially when he sees gruesome pictures of mayhem from several parts of the country, notably Benue and neighbouring states.

The president, he said, was equally worried about some public pronouncements and finger-pointing, which in most cases were very unhelpful to the peaceful coexistence of Nigeria’s diverse peoples, adding that Buhari was conscious of his duty to Nigerians.
“Not least because he is held accountable for everything that goes wrong. He deeply sympathises with the families and all the other direct and indirect victims of this violence. He is determined to bring it to a permanent end,” Shehu said.

Further observing that while there are many Nigerians who see the conflict between the herdsmen and peasant farmers as an ethnic problem, others point to religious differences and agenda, he noted however that the president does not subscribe to such “simplistic reductionism”.

Shehu also said Buhari held the view, as many experts also do, that these conflicts are more often than not caused by major demographic changes in Nigeria, recalling that when Nigeria attained independence, the population of the country was estimated at about 63 million.
“Today, the population is estimated at close to 200 million, while the land size has not changed and will not change. Urban sprawl and development have simply reduced land area both for peasant farming and cattle grazing.

“It is therefore both unfair and unkind for anyone to keep insinuating that the president is condoning the spate of killings in Benue and other neighboring states.
“President Buhari has publicly condemned the violence at every turn. He is prepared to permit every possible step that can lead to the stoppage of the killings.

“It is on account of this he brushed aside an opinion that the federal government should challenge the constitutionality of the Anti-Open Grazing Act. He wanted to give a chance to the state government to succeed in stopping the senseless killings.

“It will be recalled that as he did in dealing with the Boko Haram insurgency in North-east Nigeria, which required sustained action from the government before it was finally curtailed, President Buhari gave the relevant mandates to the country’s security agencies to put a stop to the Benue killings.

“The killings must stop and the security agencies have the president’s support to do this as quickly as possible. Whipping up hate may captivate the public and score political points on the social media, but it will not bring an end to the crisis.

“Let every stakeholder instead sit down with the government and security forces and carry everyone along in finding an all-embracing solution,” Shehu said in the statement.
He observed that as a father, retired army general and statesman, Buhari had maintained lasting relationships with many Nigerians, irrespective of their tribes or religion.

He also said that the president was appealing to Nigerians to support and co-operate with his administration’s plan to find permanent solutions to the menace and avoid aggravating or escalating tensions in all conflicts threatening the peace of the country.

“It is also a known fact that the young people who trek the whole distance of thousands of kilometres tending the cattle do not own the cattle.
“In fact, many of the cattle are not owned by Fulanis or Muslims. The point is that it is too simplistic to see the conflict as ethnic or religious,” he stated.

Ortom Rejects Cattle Colonies

Irrespective of the position of the presidency, the Governor of Benue State, Ortom, Tuesday met with Buhari in the State House, Abuja, but expressed indifference towards the proposal by the federal government to create cattle colonies in the country to control open grazing by cattle rearers.

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, had at the end of a meeting in Abuja of ministers and governors on the rampant killings of innocent souls in Benue and other adjoining states on Monday, said that the federal government had resolved to set up cattle colonies on 5,000 hectares of land where herdsmen can live and tender their cattle.

But Ortom, in reaction to the proposal, while answering questions from State House correspondents, said he had no knowledge of what cattle colonies entail, insisting that what obtains globally, in accordance with best practices, was ranching.
Questioning why ranching which is practised worldwide could not be entrenched in Nigeria, Ortom said incentives such as land in his state were available for herdsmen who want to ranch their cattle.

He insisted on the enforcement of the Anti-open Grazing Law in his state, noting that until the January 1 mayhem in Benue, relative peace had largely been achieved in the state since the law took effect.
“For the colony thing, I don’t know what colony is. I’m waiting to be briefed about what colonies mean. I don’t understand it… but like I keep saying, for us, the way forward is ranching.

“The way forward is ranching because it is a global best practice. And it is not just practiced in other parts of the world, on African soil in Swaziland, South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, almost all African countries that rear cattle, they ranch, so why can’t we do the same thing here?
“It is not for me to create ranches. I know that as a farmer, I have one in my farm and there are several other people who are free to do so. The permits are available for people who want to ranch their cattle to access land and begin to ranch.

“So, it is free for everybody and that is the right way to go. And since we started the implementation, there has been relative peace amongst farmers and herdsmen.
“They were doing well until this militia coming from this Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore came and attacked us. And they are known. We know where they are. As I talk to you, they are in Tonga in Awe Local Government, Nasarawa State,” he said.

More at http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/01/10/presidency-absolves-buhari-of-herdsmen-killings-blames-crisis-on-demographic-changes/

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Firefire(m): 5:19am On Jan 10, 2018
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by koolaid87: 5:19am On Jan 10, 2018
Ok
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by magoo10(m): 6:03am On Jan 10, 2018
Presidency absolves buhari of herdsmen killing

Who is presidency if not buhari
Fulani herdsmen self is buhari just that he does not carry his own cows to roam about himself.

All this kind statement is for kindergarten pupil

Moreso the governor of the state should be allowed with his anti open grazing law if he thinks that is the best option for his people than fostering the establishment of cattle colonies on the state.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 10, 2018
The issue is much more complex. Many Nigerians are just too focus on ethnic and religion sentiments.

But Buhari lack of interest in ranching is a bit confusing. I think that is one of the major problem.

Why not say cattle colonies is a temporal measure while ranching will be final solution. His insistent on a kind of open grazing as a permanent solution is really disturbing.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by dokiOloye(m): 6:20am On Jan 10, 2018
What of his body odour(language)
Can it also be absolved?
Cos its clear d marauding herdsmen have become bolder and more daring under Buhari.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by mybestlove(m): 6:37am On Jan 10, 2018
B
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by ngeneukwuewuGOAT: 6:38am On Jan 10, 2018
Useless people
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by dunkem21(m): 6:42am On Jan 10, 2018
Presidency absolves president cheesy

I'm surprised they didn't blame GEJ..

Clueless people undecided

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Threebear(m): 6:52am On Jan 10, 2018
A president can never be absolved of the killings that happened in his country.
The tag of presidency automatically makes one the father of a nation ,making you responsible for the lives of everyone and everything in your constituency, from the lowest to the highest.
So no Buhari, you can't be absolved from the serial killings of the Fulani herdsman, not until you put action in place to punish the offenders and protect the lives of the people you took office to protect .
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Fazemood(m): 7:01am On Jan 10, 2018
Fia! Fia!! dancing to davido's jam

Thunder Fia Burn wuna mouth.
The president is as guilty for these killings as the fulani herdsmen since he hasn't taken any concrete move to curb the menace and arrest the killers.

A man without conscience. Do what is right and your sins can be absolved. angry
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by 1shortblackboy: 7:13am On Jan 10, 2018
was Jonathan absolved of the Boko Haram killings? all of una dey mad for there
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Jabioro: 7:13am On Jan 10, 2018
Pure and undiluted nonsense,no wonder the spoke man remain confused in his explanation in a simple matter of yes or no.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Afrojuju2017(m): 7:44am On Jan 10, 2018
life2017:
The issue is much more complex. Many Nigerians are just too focus on ethnic and religion sentiments.

But Buhari lack of interest in ranching is a bit confusing. I think that is one of the major problem.

Why not say cattle colonies is a temporal measure while ranching will be final solution. His insistent on a kind of open grazing as a permanent solution is really disturbing.

For those who are linguistically challenged I would be of the opinion that a cattle colony is a ranch.

A ranch is nothing else but an area where cattle are kept groomed and animal husbandry is practiced. A ranch may have a milking facility and abattoir.

I believe it's the agric minister baba Audu Ogbe who is insistent on using the term "cattle colony" to settle those who are apprehensive about the term ranch.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by lwisee: 8:02am On Jan 10, 2018
This is nonsense, I'm totally disappointed in Buhari. He is a failure. It is clear he wants open grazing against ranching.
I feel like crying angry

RIP to the victims of this senseless killing.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 10, 2018
The Presidency should not say that,Jubrin is complicit on this.

It seems that the Buhari is more focused on pleasing the Fulani terrorists than finding lasting solutions to the problems.

The Fulani terrorists refused ranching that's why the government is talking about cattle colony.

The Fulanis own Nigeria, it's either their way or the high way.

They were doing well until this militia coming from this Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore came and attacked us. And they are known. We know where they are. As I talk to you, they are in Tonga in Awe Local Government, Nasarawa State,” he said.

At the bolded is what we've been saying, the terrorists are known,but the security agencies won't do anything because they are the owners of Nigeria.

THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by SalamRushdie: 8:16am On Jan 10, 2018
life2017:

You are too naive bro ..make no mistake Buhari is 200 percent complicit in all this Fulani attacks .
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by SalamRushdie: 8:24am On Jan 10, 2018
Afrojuju2017:

For those who are linguistically challenged I would be of the opinion that a cattle colony is a ranch.

A ranch is nothing else but an area where cattle are kept groomed and animal husbandry is practiced. A ranch may have a milking facility and abattoir.

I believe it's the agric minister baba Audu Ogbe who is insistent on using the term "cattle colony" to settle those who are apprehensive about the term ranch.

Colony and ranch are not the same thing so make no mistake , you think the govt doesnt know whats its doing by choosing the word colony ...

"A colony is an area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country."

While a ranch is" a dedicated farm where animals are raised ."
They are not the same thing and the govt is just being mischievious

1 Like

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Afrojuju2017(m): 8:31am On Jan 10, 2018
SalamRushdie:

Colony and ranch are not the same thing so make no mistake , you think the govt doesnt know whats its doing by choosing the word colony ...

"A colony is an area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country."

While a ranch is" a dedicated farm where animals are raised ."
They are not the same thing and the govt is just being mischievious

You are involved in semantics here. What then is an animal colony
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by KwoiZabo(m): 8:32am On Jan 10, 2018
I just want to remind everyone of El-Rufai's statement when GEJ was dealing with these Terrorist. El-Rufai is a terrorist

1 Like

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by SalamRushdie: 8:37am On Jan 10, 2018
Afrojuju2017:

You are involved in semantics here. What then is an animal colony

I can assure you wgen the Buhari govt uses the word colony its refering to Setting up Fulani colonies all over the middle belt and remember the term Colonization is an offshoot of its primary "COLONY " ..Buhari is a dangerously cunning man and I suggest no state falls fo this colony nonsense..Fulani herds men are Business men with turnover nearing 2 triillion naira a year and they dont need colonies but business ranches like all other cow herders world wide.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by Afrojuju2017(m): 8:43am On Jan 10, 2018
SalamRushdie:

I can assure you wgen the Buhari govt uses the word colony its refering to Setting up Fulani colonies all over the middle belt and remember the term Colonization is an offshoot of its primary "COLONY " ..Buhari is a dangerously cunning man and I suggest no state falls fo this colony nonsense..Fulani herds men are Business men with turnover nearing 2 triillion naira a year and they dont need colonies but business ranches like all other cow herders world wide.

Abeg if they get land to set up a colony of people and livestock or they buy land and set up a ranch that houses people and livestock . What is the difference !

You have people, land and livestock at the same place call it ranch call it colony. The results are same.

Either ways what I can add is this is private business, the government can acquire land and allocate to those interested in animal husbandry or individuals can acquire land on their own impetus.

If there are state laws in place to regulate the establishment of "ranches" /"colonies" and the activities therein with legal checks the issue would be resolved.
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by porka: 10:49am On Jan 10, 2018
Afrojuju2017:

Mr. Grammarian, Audu Ogbe knows what he is saying and people know what Audu Ogbe is saying.

It is you that is trying to confuse yourself.

In this context, a ranch is an economic term (preferred by majority of Nigerians).

While a colony is a political term (a Fulani hegemonic and expansionist agenda being pushed by Buhari in collaboration with Ogbe and people like you).

Always have it in mind that your "linguistic proficiency" naturally stops where other Nigerians' start.

Any well meaning government looking to solve a problem would come out in plain language without equivocation.

colony
ˈkɒləni/
noun
noun: colony; plural noun: colonies

a country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country.
"Japanese forces overran the French colony of Indo-China"
synonyms: territory, possession, holding, dependency, province, dominion, protectorate, satellite (state), settlement, outpost; More
historicaltributary, fief
"Belize is a former British colony"
a group of people living in a colony, consisting of the original settlers and their descendants and successors.
"the colony looked forward to fifty or more years of autonomy"
all the foreign countries or areas formerly under British political control.
plural noun: the colonies
"many poachers were exiled to the colonies"
the thirteen areas on the east coast of North America that gained independence from Britain and founded the United States of America.
plural noun: the colonies
a group of people of one nationality or race living in a foreign place.
"the British colony in New York"
synonyms: population, community
"the entire British colony in New York"
a place where a group of people with the same occupation or interest live together.
"a nudist colony"
synonyms: community, association, commune, settlement, quarter, district, section, ghetto
"an artists' colony"
Biology
a community of animals or plants of one kind living close together or forming a physically connected structure.
"a colony of seals"
a group of fungi or bacteria grown from a single spore or cell on a culture medium.

Origin
late Middle English (denoting a settlement formed mainly of retired soldiers, acting as a garrison in newly conquered territory in the Roman Empire): from Latin colonia ‘settlement, farm’, from colonus ‘settler, farmer’, from colere ‘cultivate’.
Translate colony to
Use over time for: colony

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&ei=od5VWuWDJ4OQUayIoYgC&btnG=Search&q=meaning+colony&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0

ranch
rɑːn(t)ʃ/
noun
noun: ranch; plural noun: ranches; noun: ranch dressing; plural noun: ranch dressings

a large farm, especially in North America or Australia, where cattle or other animals are bred.
"a beef cattle ranch"
North American
a single-storey house.
noun: ranch house; plural noun: ranch houses
North Americantrademark in UK
a type of thick white salad dressing made with sour cream.

verb
verb: ranch; 3rd person present: ranches; past tense: ranched; past participle: ranched; gerund or present participle: ranching

run a ranch.
"cattle ranching"
breed (animals) on a ranch.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&ei=qt5VWqKuIoGpUq_AksgD&q=meaning+ranch&oq=meaning+ranch&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1l4j0i22i10i30k1l2j0i22i30k1l2j0i22i10i30k1.1045461.1048264.0.1048992.11.10.0.0.0.0.512.1661.3-2j1j1.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..7.4.1658...35i39k1j0i67k1j0i131k1j0i20i263k1.0.tRo7_VNF9Q4&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0
Re: Presidency Absolves Buhari Of Herdsmen Killings by pauljumbo: 10:51am On Jan 10, 2018
Conference for killer's

This government is confused

(1) (Reply)

Malami Obtains Court Order Stopping National Assembly From Probing Maina / Police Reveals Why They Declared Babaginda's Spokesman, Afegbua Wanted / Why Should A Sensible Person Support Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.