Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis (19082 Views)

Doguwa: My Re-election To The NASS Absolves Me Of Culpable Homicide / Anthony Okolie: Court Awards N10m Against DSS, Absolves Buhari’s Daughter / Unpaid Pension: FG, Police Trade Blame As 4,000 Ex-policemen Lament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by adebuk47(m): 2:07pm On Nov 16, 2018
The Federal High Court in Abuja has declared that President Muhammadu Buhari cannot legally double as the Minister of Petroleum Resources.

The court made the declaration on Thursday while giving judgment in a suit filed last year by a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN).

Agbakoba had, in the suit, urged the court to restrain Buhari from continuing to hold the office of the Minister of Petroleum Resources.

The SAN had contended that Section 138 of the 1999 Constitution forbids the President from “holding any other executive office or paid employment.”

In a statement on Friday by his office, Agbakoba said the court in deciding the case held that Buhari had not violated Section 138, since he is not directly in charge of the day-to-day running of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

The court, according to the statement, said there would have been a violation if Buhari had not appointed someone else — Dr. Ibe Kachikwu — to oversee the day-to-day running of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

The court explained that the phrase “hold” in Section 138 of the constitution “meant to preside, act, to possess, occupy or conduct the actual day to day running of the office.”

“Merely proclaiming/announcing that he (the President) was the Minister of Petroleum is not enough to conclude that he holds the office of minister,” the court reportedly declared.

In the suit, Agbakoba had said as a legal practitioner with 40 years’ experience and having checked the Constitution, he was convinced that President Muhammadu Buhari cannot legally hold the office of the Minister of Petroleum Resources and thus urged the court to sack him.

He contended that Buhari was not screened for the ministerial job by the Senate, as required by the constitution.

He urged the court to determine “whether, by virtue of Section 147(2) of the 1999 Constitution, the President can hold the office of the Minister of Petroleum Resources, without confirmation by the Senate of the National Assembly.”

In a 14-paragraph affidavit, which he personally deposed to in support of his suit, Agbakoba explained that the lawsuit was informed by the recent management crisis which engulfed the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, on account of disagreements between the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, and the Group Managing Director of the NNPC.

“I verily believe that the governance chaos in the NNPC could not have occurred if the President is not also the Minister of Petroleum Resources.

“I am aware that the NNPC provides up to 90 percent of the revenue accruing to Nigeria. I am worried that the crisis in the NNPC will greatly reduce Nigeria’s revenue-generating capacity and will affect the revenue distributable to federal, state and local governments in Nigeria.

“This will gravely affect development nationwide and drastically impact one and all Nigerians, including those in Anambra State (my state of origin) and Lagos State (my state of residence).

“I looked at Section 138 of the 1999 Constitution and I verily believe it disqualifies the President from holding executive office including that of the Minister of Petroleum, during his tenure of office as President.

“I know that the President did not go through nomination process and confirmation by the Senate, before holding the office of Minister of Petroleum Resources.

“I again looked at Section 147(2) of the 1999 Constitution and I verily believe it prohibits anybody from holding the office of a Minister of the Federation, without confirmation by the Senate,” Agbakoba had said.

source:https://thebiggestgists..com/2018/11/breaking-kachikwus-appointment-absolves.html

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by dukie25: 2:13pm On Nov 16, 2018
In the 70s and 80s Buhari was oil minister. In the 90s he was still involved in oil industry as Abacha's PTF chairman.
Buhari returned to the industry as soon as he became president. Doubling as both the President and the minister of Petroleum.
Why is Buhari so interested in NNPC?

124 Likes 10 Shares

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by balanceofterror1(m): 2:41pm On Nov 16, 2018
Only the MIDDLE MEN and PDP are allowed to be blamed.

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Naijaalive(m): 2:44pm On Nov 16, 2018
Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Onogiede(m): 2:46pm On Nov 16, 2018
yet he's been seen as saint,..Nigeria are in one chance

15 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Timatayo1: 2:47pm On Nov 16, 2018
Buhari love anything call oil and petrol I don't know why

21 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by ozowarac: 2:49pm On Nov 16, 2018
dukie25:
In the 70s and 80s Buhari was oil minister. In the 90s he was still involved in oil industry as Abacha's PTF chairman.
Buhari returned to the industry as soon as he became president. Doubling as both the President and the minister of Petroleum.

Cause him like free money too much.

35 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Xander85: 2:51pm On Nov 16, 2018
dukie25:

He wants to control it out of pure avarice and to be in a position to dispense favours to whoever he pleases! Being the de-facto minister of petroleum also helps the Arewa agenda of searching undisturbed for that elusive oyel in the north!

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Xander85: 2:55pm On Nov 16, 2018
Knowing what we know of this present Buhari/APC gov't, we can safely assert that this ruling is not worth more than the paper it's written on!

It's just legalistic mumbo-jumbo, and has no effect outside the court room it was delivered! smiley

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by DoyenExchange: 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2018
This is a good judgement!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Racoon(m): 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2018
What a landmark judgement! So what happened to all the benefits he have enjoyed while illegally serving as the minister of petroleum

21 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Dcomrade(m): 3:52pm On Nov 16, 2018
“Merely proclaiming/announcing that he (the President) was the Minister of Petroleum is not enough to conclude that he holds the office of minister,” the court reportedly declared.

What kind of a useless statement is this? undecided

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by GavelSlam: 4:12pm On Nov 16, 2018
E pain them.

grin

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by MexxIT(m): 4:34pm On Nov 16, 2018
Mtchewww.. Kachikwu is simply there to take d fall and blame weneva PMB's Nyash is opened and all d can of worms exposed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by dukie25: 4:55pm On Nov 16, 2018
[s]
Mace0lane:
but your Igbotic block head your hopelessness did not let you understand that among every petroleum minister or president of Nigeria, this same Buhari is the only one without an oil block or a filling station but every other awarded oil block to themselves n their cronies.

Oh ! Now I remember ori e yi yigbo ti buru.
[/s]

Can you prove Buhari have no oil well?

18 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Stalwert: 4:59pm On Nov 16, 2018
[s]
Racoon:
What a landmark judgement! So what happened to all the benefits he have enjoyed while illegally serving as the minister of petroleum
[/s]

I guess it accrued to Atiku gay lovers putrid behinds.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Gandollar(f): 5:38pm On Nov 16, 2018
Racoon:
The court has set a very bad precedence which will come back to hurt them one day.

6 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by shakmati(m): 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2018
dukie25:

Because he's a slow poke who believes that only oil is good enough to make Nothern Nigeria rich. Instead of him to look for other ways of drawing wealth, he is tied down to the fable of oil wealth. Lifeless somebody!

12 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by sammyj: 7:09am On Nov 17, 2018
PMB should do the needful and allow the minister of state do his job. Let him focus on how he can provide good leadership and governance to the people!! cool I thought some of the people commenting here said the president is Jubril and not Buhari

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Magalan: 7:10am On Nov 17, 2018
Mace0lane:
but your Igbotic block head your hopelessness did not let you understand that among every petroleum minister or president of Nigeria, this same Buhari is the only one without an oil block or a filling station but every other awarded oil block to themselves n their cronies.

So buhari's & Baru subsidy scam and oil exploration in desserts is not looting, its thanksgiving..

8 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Primusinterpares(m): 7:11am On Nov 17, 2018
See as these people dey mumu...

The last time I checked Mr. Ibe was demoted from a minister of petroleum to a minister of state of petroleum...
That's like a junior minister...
so now them wanna put the blame on him...

#SMH
#say no to. Buhari
#Back to daura na must

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Acidosis(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2018
So saint Buhari has been collecting salaries and allowances both as the GCFR and Petroleum Minister since 2015?

Buhari is a fraudster.

He got a job in the oil industry in 2015 using his 1970 experience in the industry? Y'all see why Atiku must sell that NNPC? Can you get a MD job in a private company using a previous work experience that dates back to 1970, all with no WAEC certificate.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Princedapace(m): 7:17am On Nov 17, 2018
dukie25:

Buhari is a very lazy man. He has nothing to offer except to talk about corruption here and there

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by chloride6: 7:18am On Nov 17, 2018
This title is misleading

Please take down the thread

Seun

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 17, 2018
Mace0lane:

See this zombie! Be there and be deceiving yourself

Same way he told your irks that he has no money to buy presidential nomination forms, but his son has more than that amount to buy okada

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by mudiana(m): 7:22am On Nov 17, 2018
dukie25:
because he is a thief. Yes! I said it, Buhari is a thief.

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by Nasir123(m): 7:23am On Nov 17, 2018
This is good.
This is the kind of challenge/development we(people with sense) want to be seeing, not all those plenty plenty noise TALK.

The President of a country like Nigeria being doubled as the Petroleum minister?.. It doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by israelmao(m): 7:24am On Nov 17, 2018
Kachikwu cannot tell the world now all the constraints he faces apart from those ones that came out to public domain,when the time is over for this government every eye will see and every ear will also hear.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by YorubaEmir: 7:28am On Nov 17, 2018
The lootocrat and northocrat of a tyrant will sadly not budge. He will continue to double as minister of petroleum despite his failures

10 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Kachikwu’s Appointment Absolves Buhari Of Blame As President/oil Minis by sexychizzi: 7:30am On Nov 17, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: INEC Clears Underage Candidates To Contest Senate, House Of Reps / Bomb Blast In Borno Kills Five Children / Woman And Her Children Killed As 3 Suicide Bombers Strike Again In Borno. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.