Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment (1422 Views)

If You Were The President Of Nigeria, How Would You Make Nigeria Better? / People That Will Feel The Additional 14 Days Lockdown By The President / Aisha Buhari: Call Me 'First Lady' Not 'Wife Of The President' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by ochuciano(m): 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2018
SouthEastFacts:

Second sensible post. Restructuring as a stand alone tool can't defeat unemployment.

true, restructuring is just the starting point. Each region will look at their area of strength and develop it, this will help to curb unemployment
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by abimbolayekeen: 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2018
I will allow private sector to take key role on economy , so that unemployment will drastically reduced .
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by redsun(m): 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2018
Road maintenance alone will create more than a million jobs in Nigeria in an instant, then you talk of street cleaning,paving and waste disposal.

Nigeria is a virgin,waiting to be disvirgined.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by trillville(m): 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
Unemployment is not the problem but a symptom. The real problem is our low productivity which can be traced to our infrastructural deficit. If we had good transportation infrastructure, Electricity and a working judiciary that ensures contracts are enforced, Unemployment will naturally reduce.

The Problem
Why the government can not provide this infrastructure is because a majority of the income Nigeria earns is expended on recurrent expenditure, that is paying Civil/Public Servants who account for less than 10 percent of our total population. Imagine you had 10 children and earned only 10 naira monthly. You take that 10 naira and give it to only 1 child and tell the other 9 children to provide services such as producing food, creating Entertainment, importing clothes and electronics, and even washing the clothes of that 1 special child to earn a living. You provide no security, no health care, no electricity, no water, no nothing to aid the progress of the other 9 children, yet when you announce to your children that you want to reduce the amount spent on the special child, all your 10 children will protest that you are wicked, that how do you expect the 1 child to survive. they will complain that instead of you to make them that special child, you are trying to further worsen all of their situations. This is the tragedy Nigeria currently faces.

The Solution
Increase the amount budgeted for capital expenditure which can be done in the following ways:

1. Raise taxes on the rich in society. Taxes such as estate tax, vehicle tax, luxury taxes. All taxes should be progressive, that is the larger your property, the higher your tax rate. This will invariably start a war on Effizy and should reduce people's craze for the wanton accumulation of wealth.

2. Conduct Business Analysis on all MDAs. if an MDA is not providing a highly important service such as education, health or security, and the MDA is not providing any sort of profit, either scrap the MDA completely or reduce the workforce drastically.

I am not an expert in government but why do we have road safety, civil defence, police, mobile police, DSS, VIO. Why? why so many different organisations.

What is the work of RMAFC? Can it be replaced by software and a single office in the ministry of finance?

We have NASRDA, NIGCOMSAT, SHEDA, PTDF, NITDA, BOUNDARY COMMISSION, POLICE COMMISSION, FEDERAL CHARACTER COMMISSION, ETC. someone should please tell me if these places are earning any income and how these places have benefitted the average Nigerian on the road. It is simply crazy. We don't have roads, we don't have electricity, we don't have water and we are spending lots of money and haven't gotten any tangible benefits from our spending in the last 10 years.

3. Conduct Business Process Analysis in Organisations that provide useful services. The fact that an organisation is useful does not imply that all workers within the organisation are needed. The government should relate job functions to specific roles within every organisation. An extra worker not providing any service will probably reduce the efficiency of other workers (Law of Diminishing Marginal Productivity).

In Summary, money saved should be used for infrastructure. If the Government were to reduce its workforce, it will be forced to also reduce its unnecessary spending and wages also because Nigerians will not be smiling and would require quick results to alleviate the suffering from these actions. In my view, this is the only way out for Nigeria

ps. sorry for any typos

2 Likes

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by IBBG(m): 2:51pm On Jan 18, 2018
1. solve the problem of electricity. A stable electricity will drastically reduce unemployment rate.
2. provide access to cheap loans for entrepreneurs or those interested in entrepreneurship.
3. invest heavily in science and technology education
4. invest heavily in developing the various means of transportation
5. build a centralized data base system, that has information on all the citizen of this country, to enable the country plan well for her citizen.
6. proper and effective border surveillance and control, both land and aerial surveillance.
7. provide certain amount of tax breaks for companies who are investing adequately in coporate social responsiblities
8. Review the current revenue sharing formular and enforcing local government autonomy with the states and local government having more revenue combine and also more responsiblity, thereby reducing the amount of mundane things on federal govt exclusive list.

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by trillville(m): 4:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
trillville:
Unemployment is not the problem but a symptom. The real problem is our low productivity which can be traced to our infrastructural deficit. If we had good transportation infrastructure, Electricity and a working judiciary that ensures contracts are enforced, Unemployment will naturally reduce.

The Problem
Why the government can not provide this infrastructure is because a majority of the income Nigeria earns is expended on recurrent expenditure, that is paying Civil/Public Servants who account for less than 10 percent of our total population. Imagine you had 10 children and earned only 10 naira monthly. You take that 10 naira and give it to only 1 child and tell the other 9 children to provide services such as producing food, creating Entertainment, importing clothes and electronics, and even washing the clothes of that 1 special child to earn a living. You provide no security, no health care, no electricity, no water, no nothing to aid the progress of the other 9 children, yet when you announce to your children that you want to reduce the amount spent on the special child, all your 10 children will protest that you are wicked, that how do you expect the 1 child to survive. they will complain that instead of you to make them that special child, you are trying to further worsen all of their situations. This is the tragedy Nigeria currently faces.

The Solution
Increase the amount budgeted for capital expenditure which can be done in the following ways:

1. Raise taxes on the rich in society. Taxes such as estate tax, vehicle tax, luxury taxes. All taxes should be progressive, that is the larger your property, the higher your tax rate. This will invariably start a war on Effizy and should reduce people's craze for the wanton accumulation of wealth.

2. Conduct Business Analysis on all MDAs. if an MDA is not providing a highly important service such as education, health or security, and the MDA is not providing any sort of profit, either scrap the MDA completely or reduce the workforce drastically.

I am not an expert in government but why do we have road safety, civil defence, police, mobile police, DSS, VIO. Why? why so many different organisations.

What is the work of RMAFC? Can it be replaced by software and a single office in the ministry of finance?

We have NASRDA, NIGCOMSAT, SHEDA, PTDF, NITDA, BOUNDARY COMMISSION, POLICE COMMISSION, FEDERAL CHARACTER COMMISSION, ETC. someone should please tell me if these places are earning any income and how these places have benefitted the average Nigerian on the road. It is simply crazy. We don't have roads, we don't have electricity, we don't have water and we are spending lots of money and haven't gotten any tangible benefits from our spending in the last 10 years.

3. Conduct Business Process Analysis in Organisations that provide useful services. The fact that an organisation is useful does not imply that all workers within the organisation are needed. The government should relate job functions to specific roles within every organisation. An extra worker not providing any service will probably reduce the efficiency of other workers (Law of Diminishing Marginal Productivity).

In Summary, money saved should be used for infrastructure. If the Government were to reduce its workforce, it will be forced to also reduce its unnecessary spending and wages also because Nigerians will not be smiling and would require quick results to alleviate the suffering from these actions. In my view, this is the only way out for Nigeria

ps. sorry for any typos

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by vaxx: 4:33pm On Jan 18, 2018
good topic .....

am interested in a working market and not a labor market
yoruba adage ise logun ise...

if i am privileged to become the president of this country,i will focus my attention on three major sector....education ,agriculture and hospitality...honorary sector(electricity)
my focus will be to address the long time unemployment and not the short one that will fade off after my tenure...

The education
Nigeria education system is a shit hole that needs total restructuring....... i will automatically convert over 90 percent of our universities into an institution of technology .....these institution will help build functioning minds that are employable and are currently needed in the global industry....These professions will automatically make their way into Nigeria institution... IT-plumbers electricians-Construction workers-cabinetmakers-upholsterer-Mechanics-FARMING-

All kind of crafts will be included in our university curriculum .there will be a campaign to motivate Nigerians to work with their own hands and start contributing to the economy.

our polytechnics can be renamed as technical university......

The agriculture
in a nation like ours, agriculture should be the backbone of our economy and not oil. why ?agriculture provide the basic ingredient of life to mankind(food)and also the raw material to enable the industrial environment grow... i will heavily subsidized farming tools so that the farmers can adopt mechanized farming...farming work will be made lucrative to the citizens .... agricultural banks will be set up where start up loan with very little or no interest will be available but with strict monitoring , companies that are into agricultural business will pay lesser amount of tax so that she can employ more workers

to be continue , i want to rest my pen
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by vaxx: 4:39pm On Jan 18, 2018
trillville:

The Problem

The Solution

ps. sorry for any typos

your ideology will strengthen the rich...do not forget the rich has a cooperate entity that protect them.if not careful,the poor will remain poorer
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by trillville(m): 5:00pm On Jan 18, 2018
vaxx:
your ideology will strengthen the rich...do not forget the rich has a cooperate entity that protect them ,if not careful the poor will remain poorer

Please explain further. Is it the job losses you believe will increase the poverty? So would you rather continue to give your whole salary to 1 child and not provide anything for your other 9 children? Read my post again
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by vaxx: 5:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
trillville:

Please explain further. My plan is to tax the consumption of the rich heavily and to provide shared infrastructure. How will that make poor people poorer?
taxing the rich more has never been effective to solve unemployment , using the USA and the UK has a case study .... the rich in these countries are heavily tax yet the unemployment rate is still up... robbing peter to pay paul can never be a solution, it will only make peter to be more wiser and find a way to collect what paul has stolen from him .....such is the capitalist society ...

copying our enslave master mode of economy will not provide solution to our problem,i guess it might even worsen it....china south Korea and Singapore were once colonized. but these state decided to take their future into their own hands after their freedom by putting down an economical plan that best suit their culture, value and norms and now they are at per or even better than their past master..

if we must grow, our value, norms and culture must play a critical role in our economy, which is not to take from the rich to the poor, but work and grow what we eat.....this is the true upbringing of a black man

1 Like

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by khadaffi(m): 8:56pm On Jan 18, 2018
ReneeNuttall:
There's no country that can solve unemployment all over the world, unemployment rate can only be reduced.Using Nigeria as an example,first thing I will do is remove all those old chimps at the very top,who are clueless and yet very corrupt,and employ young,vibrant, intelligent and updated people.
Fix our refineries, instead of exporting our petroleum products for refining,and importing them back.
Invest more on technical skills and acquisitions, education,and ofcourse revamp our agricultural build companies,etc. These can serve as a means of employment.

Those will be my first tenure agenda.

@the bolded, you remind me of Malthusian. You know him? If not read about him and see how people like karl marx proved his worthless theory wrong

We should not deceive ourselves, solving unemployment requires us first tackling our population and get an original database of all Nigerians. Every one having a national ID and our birth rate should be drastically reduced. This will help the leaders plan properly with the lean resources. The only problem with this is that the north will reject such policy. This is why some of us believe the only way Nigeria can succeed is for us to split the country.
Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by ReneeNuttall(f): 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2018
khadaffi:

@the bolded, you remind me of Malthusian. You know him? If not read about him and see how people like karl marx proved his worthless theory wrong

Ain't gonna argue with anybody,not even u.If u don't like what I wrote pls kindly ignore it.Its called minding ur Bizness.

Re: If You Are The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Solve Unemployment by Warship: 7:25am On Jan 19, 2018
profosa:

all you listed here are all in one regulation,law or guideline,what are you going to do differently

That is the only way you can create employment.

This is based on my research on several countries.

Hope you get it and sorry I responded late.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Has Achieved More Than Obasanjo Did In Eight Years / Fg Hires International Media Consultant To Tackle IPOB- Photo / Concern As IGP Floods Kwara With Undercover Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.