Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. (2118 Views)

NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April / NERC: Nigerians To Pay N36,000 And N67,000 For Electricity Meters / We Are No Longer Responsible For Electricity Meters - Discos Tell Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by great664(m): 6:51am On Jan 25, 2018
PStacks

I agree with some points raised like Po putting off bulbs during the day, using Energy bulbs etc...

My question is I know many people who by-pass their pre-paid meters and they have constant light without paying a dime... Mind you, we have over 15hrs of light daily this side...

How do you report those people? I know the Nigerian mentality will say wetin concern you but I don't care...

Note: Don't tell me to report them to the nearest office, as nothing will happen of they give them like 10k - 30k, yes that is how cheap we are.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 7:04am On Jan 25, 2018
great664:
PStacks

I agree with some points raised like Po putting off bulbs during the day, using Energy bulbs etc...

My question is I know many people who by-pass their pre-paid meters and they have constant light without paying a dime... Mind you, we have over 15hrs of light daily this side...

How do you report those people? I know the Nigerian mentality will say wetin concern you but I don't care...

Note: Don't tell me to report them to the nearest office, as nothing will happen of they give them like 10k - 30k, yes that is how cheap we are.

Nigeria is a very big and complex country.
as you try to solve one problem, another one arises but I believe monitoring and enforcement units must be set up to ensure compliance and anybody found foul of the law should face penalties.

I perfectly understand when u say people by-pass the meters.

that is sabotage and short changing government of revenue and cheating other tax payers.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 7:10am On Jan 25, 2018
victormeg:

My guy the issue about Nigerians leaving lights on in the name of security light no be talk at all. In this country where security is not guaranteed, so we should leave in darkness abi? Not if your light tire you, off it Biko.when bros dem ambush you for darkness, you will understand the difference between oh oh nepa and up nepa.

I am just talking generally on how people waste electricity and leaving ur security lights on even at day time when u dont need them is one way people waste electricity
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by nathanccr(m): 9:26am On Jan 25, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Another fake propaganda being planted by Fasholas social media team .

Exactly
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by kevoh(m): 9:40am On Jan 25, 2018
asuustrike2009:

There are metres that can't be bypass. I am blame the disco company for not be observant. How would they be when they dish estimated bills to customers. Your neighbour only capitalize on the loophole in the system to operate.Am sure you can't try that in Benin Republic or Ghana
1. I'm an Engineer (elect) and can boldly tell you that all meters I've come across in 9ja can be bypassed.

2. PHCN do come around to check and some get busted and forced to pay 3 months backdated estimated bill which is more expensive than if u had been recharging. It's hard to see my neighbors meter when PHCN come around because it is discreetly blocked in the guise of using net on burglary and they pretend to not be at home whenever PHCN comes knocking.

3. I can't speak in support for dishing out of high estimated bills but trust me, you'll discover that some houses in a street consume as much energy as a factory, some are literally factories diguised as residential houses. PHCN simply divide the total energy consumed in the street by the number of houses on the street in a given month and gbam you've got your monthly estimated bill. A person can be using just a bulb in one room self contained and still be billed for a 3 bedroom flat consumption. Innocent people paying for the wickedness of their street neighbors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by VolvoS60(m): 9:42am On Jan 25, 2018
PStacks:

Be that as it may, I believe electricity situation in the country has improved generally and you cant take that dint of hardwork away from the Minister in charge of Power and his boss the president that asigned him that ministry.

I mean, electricity generating capacity today is about and around 7,000megawats unlike the 4,000 that was available in the Jonathan days.
the drive and political will is there. We are seeing works on going at the Mambilla and all other sorts of tact being implored to increase and sustain electricity supply.

the essence of this thread is not to shower encomiums on the present APC government in that regards, that would be left for a later day.

source: https://www.omascope.com/business/wasteful-nigerians-and-their-insatiable-appetite-for-electricity

^^^^
grin
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by VolvoS60(m): 10:02am On Jan 25, 2018
kevoh:

1. I'm an Engineer (elect) and can boldly tell you that all meters I've come across in 9ja can be bypassed.

2. PHCN do come around to check and some get busted and forced to pay 3 months backdated estimated bill which is more expensive than if u had been recharging. It's hard to see my neighbors meter when PHCN come around because it is discreetly blocked in the guise of using net on burglary and they pretend to not be at home whenever PHCN comes knocking.

3. I can't speak in support for dishing out of high estimated bills but trust me, you'll discover that some houses in a street consume as much energy as a factory, some are literally factories diguised as residential houses. PHCN simply divide the total energy consumed in the street by the number of houses on the street in a given month and gbam you've got your monthly estimated bill. A person can be using just a bulb in one room self contained and still be billed for a 3 bedroom flat consumption. Innocent people paying for the wickedness of their street neighbors.

^^^^

Sadly, point 1 seems to be true.

Meters in my residential area were replaced recently with a lot of singing, drumming and dancing about how "the meters cannot be by-passed".

The very evening the meters were installed, a resident got an electrican to by-pass the meter and the electrician did so successfully within 45 minutes. The property manager promised to report the matter but so far nothing has come out of it. The sad truth is that PHCN officials are complicit. I personally reported a case of meter by-passing to PHCN 2 years ago but PHCN did absolutely nothing. Their staff turned up and made a lot of noise before going back the way they came - without doing anything to the offenders. Unfortunately that area is paying a heavy price now - the entire area has been cut off from transmission because of this meter tampering even though not every one was involved in the theft.

As for your other points, this is just Nigerian inefficiency at work (or is it at play angry) here. Tamper proof meters DO exist but Nigeria is not serious about getting them. When we are serious we will do what is required. This estimated billing nonsense is also nothing but a racket which PHCN is feeding fat on.

The bottomline is that when Nigerians are truly fed up they know what to do.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 25, 2018
kevoh:

That is true.we have a long way to go
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Gazzy88(m): 12:26pm On Jan 25, 2018
Nonso92:
Nice one op. I have lived in Benin republic, and I will tell you first hand that I have experienced uninterrupted power supply.

But about managing what you cannot measure, how can you manage what you don't have?.

You see in my area, there is no electricity.

Better mine, there is this area close to where I live, and for the past 9 years, they haven't seen a blink of electricity.

How do you explain all these to them?
What state do you live and which area? Uninterrupted power for 9 years? Here in Nigeria? I need to relocate there asap.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Omudia11: 12:35pm On Jan 25, 2018
Over a year ago, my brother noticed our pre paid meter had stopped working. He informed my dad. They took action. Went to the power station to report the issue. PHCN said our meter was faulty and needed to be replaced. Alright My brother said, "I'll just buy a new one then".. After beating around the Bush for a while, they told my brother that new prepaid meters were unavailable at the time and that he should come back at a later time.

Well he did go back a week later and the same thing occurred. They had no new prepaid meters for sale and couldn't fix the old one. They said they were to put on a fix monthly payment but didn't do so. In fact my brother went there too many on that issue that it was starting to look like we were disturbing them.

NB : Note that at this time we were no longer paying electricity bills due to the bad meter and the non compliance of the PHCN officers.

So my brother ceased going there and we kept using the same "old meter" for about one year WITHOUT paying bills. Meaning that we didn't pay electric bills for close to a year.

When they finally came one year later they had nothing on us as it was on record that we had complained about the issue earlier.

During that time we would have spent approximately 180k on bills.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 1:12pm On Jan 25, 2018
Omudia11:
Over a year ago, my brother noticed our pre paid meter had stopped working. He informed my dad. They took action. Went to the power station to report the issue. PHCN said our meter was faulty and needed to be replaced. Alright My brother said, "I'll just buy a new one then".. After beating around the Bush for a while, they told my brother that new prepaid meters were unavailable at the time and that he should come back at a later time.

Well he did go back a week later and the same thing occurred. They had no new prepaid meters for sale and couldn't fix the old one. They said they were to put on a fix monthly payment but didn't do so. In fact my brother went there too many on that issue that it was starting to look like we were disturbing them.

NB : Note that at this time we were no longer paying electricity bills due to the bad meter and the non compliance of the PHCN officers.

So my brother ceased going there and we kept using the same "old meter" for about one year WITHOUT paying bills. Meaning that we didn't pay electric bills for close to a year.

When they finally came one year later they had nothing on us as it was on record that we had complained about the issue earlier.

During that time we would have spent approximately 180k on bills.

can you just beat that?

check that out. 1 in a million out of so many other unknown cases.

check what percentage of revenue is leaking.

you cant keep working on improving power and not being accountable or measuring the one you have.

mehn! Thanks for sharing. Probably the authorities would learn a thing or 2.

I can imagine so many other leakages going on now unabated.

one thing is sure. Nigerians are very smart people.

1 Like

Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Nonso92(m): 3:13pm On Jan 25, 2018
Gazzy88:
What state do you live and which area? [b]Uninterrupted [/b]power for 9 years? Here in Nigeria? I need to relocate there asap.

I said they haven't seen a blink of electricity.. meaning no light for 9 years.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 3:38pm On Jan 25, 2018
Nonso92:

I said they haven't seen a blink of electricity.. meaning no light for 9 years.

English language is hard to comprehend for a lot of youths these days.

Just speak vanacula abeg
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by mbos: 3:45pm On Jan 25, 2018
you have 200 million people you feed with only 5000 max which the national grid can carry you call The people greedy.

YOUR PROPAGANDA SKILL IS TOO POOR...
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Nonso92(m): 4:47pm On Jan 25, 2018
PStacks:

English language is hard to comprehend for a lot of youths these days.

Just speak vanacula abeg

my broda, your head Dey there..

Wetin Dey yarn be say, that area neva see light for like 9 years and counting..
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by Lifestone(m): 4:57pm On Jan 25, 2018
cheesy
SalamRushdie:
Another fake propaganda being planted by Fasholas social media team .

But it's true, where I stay in Ilorin Kwara State, I have power supply for minimum of 21hrs in a day.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by btee13(m): 5:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
Installation of meter (@every home) should have been the first approach to resolving nigeria power embarassment ,putting strict laws and enforcement toward stopping bypass. Put measures to reduce importation of those high energy consumption bulbs cos many countries are already fading out those bulbs. Anything can be imported into the country including the dumped refrigerators and air conditioners that are not energy conserving from different countries around europe and america such should be controlled. The government should take the lead then people would follow.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by ifyalways(f): 6:31pm On Jan 25, 2018
Lovely discourse so far.

Why are the meters scarce? I was at Agungi sometime ago to request for a new meter only to be told to pay 130K and come for it after three months.

For this Naija? I Waka leave dem jejely cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by DerideGull(m): 6:33pm On Jan 25, 2018
PStacks:
conservation of power is key to sustain and increase electricity generation and distribution.

Before I proceed with sharing my opinion, I would like to sample what other people think about the overall general Electricity situation in the country.

where I stay, since december last year Electricity has been 23 hours daily everyday till this day and I am wondering if the power situation had improved that much.

I shared this with some random persons I meet online and the person was of opinion that it is because I stay in a piority location.

Be that as it may, I believe electricity situation in the country has improved generally and you cant take that dint of hardwork away from the Minister in charge of Power and his boss the president that asigned him that ministry.

I mean, electricity generating capacity today is about and around 7,000megawats unlike the 4,000 that was available in the Jonathan days.
the drive and political will is there. We are seeing works on going at the Mambilla and all other sorts of tact being implored to increase and sustain electricity supply.

the essence of this thread is not to shower encomiums on the present APC government in that regards, that would be left for a later day. However I have been baffled by my recent findings.

in the last two months I have had reasons to visit 2 neighboring West African countries. Benin Republic and Niger Republic. my findings were Amazing. First and foremost was the constant supply of electricity. in Cotonue Benin repulic and in Maradi Niger republic, their electricity is constant K and it never blinks.
What I found amazing wasnt the fact that Electeicity was constant but indigenous people of both coutries alluded to the fact they knew we had power shortages in our country Nigeria while both their countries were supplied constant electricity from Nigeria.

simply put. Nigeria powers Niger Republic and Republic of Benin with constant electricity while there are deficiencies and shortages and atimes total power outage in Nigeria.

That was really ironical if you sort my opinion. well, those were what I was told and as amazing as they were, what I was told didnt amuse me as much as what I saw first hand for myself.

Considering their constant availability of power atleast in the places I visited, one would think their use of it would be excessive but rather its the other way round. In the suburbia neighborhood where I stayed in Niger, People had this very modest approach to life and nothing too ostentatious, on a whole street laden with various houses, you would hardly find any house with a source of electricity or light outside, what in Nigeria we would term "Security light".. let alone leaving them on in the day time like we do in Nigeria.if you were walking down a street where people reside in Chadwua Niger republic at say around 7pm at night, what you would think was that it was a remote village with no access whatsoever to electricity, but when you get into a compound of abode in their rooms, you find electricity and even at that, people are contious of the type of electrical appliances they used and what quantity they used per time. they regulated and controlled their use of electricity that they may pay less. for example, in say 6 bulbs over all In a house, at nights mainly, only 2 were switched on and not like other 4 werent working in other parts of the house. so, in essence what picture am I trying to paint? A picture of people that Conserve Electricity. people that have more electricity use lower amount of electricity productively and we that have lesser electricity supply use more wastefully..

People must begin to realise that sustainable electricity begins with them.

switch off bulb you arent using.
use those L.E.D bulbs, they consume less.
when your refrigerators are frozen, switch them off. It would take hours to defrost, only then again you can switch them on.
There is a way you could have electricity supply in your house and your consumption of it is next to zero which then begs the issue of "Pre-Paid Metering".

You see, there is a psychology behind metering. Because you believe you have a guage running, you want to always beat the meters or extend the time differetials inbetween payments for what you have consumed.

What this write up seeks to bring to bare is this. before all of the measures of boosting electric supply in the country yields significant rate of success every household or coporate organisation must be metered.

People should pay only based on consumption. issues of estimated billing systems gives room for a lot of fraud and corruption in the system. in Nigeria because there are no metering systems in place you see houses that use more than their capacity pay less while houses that use less than their capacity pays more.

estimated billing can never capture true usuage.To me generating more power without Metering is like fetching water in a basket.I should have thought that Pre-paid meters were mandatory, but what do we have, a case of hoarding and black market selling to highest bidder.

For us to Achieve success in our over all power situation in the country, we might have to take a look and borrow a leap from our fellow West-African countries of Niger Republic and Benin Republic by proper metering to monitor consumption right from the grassroot.

Metering goes a very long way in helping to conserve power.

In conclusion,

I would close with this Peter Drucker quote which says and I quote"You can not manage what you do not measure"... Peter Drucker.

source: https://www.omascope.com/business/wasteful-nigerians-and-their-insatiable-appetite-for-electricity

Simply shithole!!!
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 6:47pm On Jan 25, 2018
DerideGull:

Simply shithole!!!

beef. grin grin grin

Biafran kwanu...

it is very easy to spot an ipob youth these days
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 6:48pm On Jan 25, 2018
ifyalways:
Lovely discourse so far.

Why are the meters scarce? I was at Agungi sometime ago to request for a new meter only to be told to pay 130K and come for it after three months.

For this Naija? I Waka leave dem jejely cheesy

grin grin before nkor? How you no go waka leave them.

me sef just taya 4 dem.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 6:51pm On Jan 25, 2018
btee13:
Installation of meter (@every home) should have been the first approach to resolving nigeria power embarassment ,putting strict laws and enforcement toward stopping bypass. Put measures to reduce importation of those high energy consumption bulbs cos many countries are already fading out those bulbs. Anything can be imported into the country including the dumped refrigerators and air conditioners that are not energy conserving from different countries around europe and america such should be controlled. The government should take the lead then people would follow.

Gbam!!!!. The processor in your brain in faster than android 10 processor.

I havent seen someone this direct in a while..
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 6:54pm On Jan 25, 2018
Lifestone:
cheesy
But it's true, where I stay in Ilorin Kwara State, I have power supply for minimum of 21hrs in a day.

they seem not to get the post. I didnt say everywhere in nigeria now is perfect.

all I said a lot of piority places are begining to record improvement.

no be small small change dey begin?

people seem to think change is magical.. it is not. Change is a process, it could be slow, and it could be painful but if it is in the right direction then people must endure.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 6:58pm On Jan 25, 2018
mbos:
you have 200 million people you feed with only 5000 max which the national grid can carry you call The people greedy.

YOUR PROPAGANDA SKILL IS TOO POOR...

I didnt call them greedy I only called them wasteful.

even at 5000, if there is conservation of it, it would be much better. Not that u have only 5000 and u still waste from it.

Sure u should get it this time if you didnt get it at first cos after now na to break your head dey pour the explanation put inside
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by ifyalways(f): 10:03pm On Jan 25, 2018
PStacks:

grin grin before nkor? How you no go waka leave them.
J
me sef just taya 4 dem.
But why is the meter scarce and sold at exorbitant price?
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 10:33pm On Jan 25, 2018
[quote author=ifyalways post=64514692]
But why is the meter scarce and sold at exorbitant price? [/quote

I think saboteurs are just hell bent on keeping Nigeria in darkness..

something that is supposed to be mandatory and next to free
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by ignatiusez: 3:47am On Jan 29, 2018
PStacks:

can you just beat that?

check that out. 1 in a million out of so many other unknown cases.

check what percentage of revenue is leaking.

you cant keep working on improving power and not being accountable or measuring the one you have.

mehn! Thanks for sharing. Probably the authorities would learn a thing or 2.

I can imagine so many other leakages going on now unabated.

one thing is sure. Nigerians are very smart people.

Umuahia in complete darkness. PHCN/EEDC should do something about the epileptic power supply in Umuahia which interestingly is a state capital.
Re: Wasteful Nigerians And Their Insatiable Appetite For Electricity. by PStacks(m): 8:19pm On Jan 29, 2018
ignatiusez:

Umuahia in complete darkness. PHCN/EEDC should do something about the epileptic power supply in Umuahia which interestingly is a state capital.

it certainly can not be all the part of umuahia

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Might Never See A Legend Like Nnamdi Kanu Again / "In A Referendum, Akwai Ibom Will Join Igbos In Biafra"-Philip Effiongs Son / Another Man Destroys And Burns His PVC Card To Ashes After APC Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.